PDA

View Full Version : Few makes "don't trust" list come Tourney Time

FuManShoes
03-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Of course I think Few has been outcoached at times in the tourney and certain Zag teams had the talent and experience to advance farther than they did, but this comment is asinine and shouldn't have made this writer's column if he was doing his homework:

3. Mark Few, Gonzaga: "It used to be Gonzaga didn't get big-time recruits and relied on chemistry, but its recruiting has been so strong lately. Now they just run up and down the court without buying into defense. For the amount of credit Few gets, his teams have underachieved in the tourney."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3934807

MedZag
03-01-2009, 09:28 AM
http://www.ejop.org/s33.jpg

RenoZag
03-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Trent Johnson is on that same "Don't Trust" list. . .the guy is a hot head but he can coach in the Big Dance. His UNR teams did pretty well. And he's done well with LSU this season.

Millman is just stirring the kettle. . .and the primary topic of the column is re: gambling, not coaching

gamagin
03-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Trent Johnson is on that same "Don't Trust" list. . .the guy is a hot head but he can coach in the Big Dance. His UNR teams did pretty well. And he's done well with LSU this season.

Millman is just stirring the kettle. . .and the primary topic of the column is re: gambling, not coaching

He's filling a column for the gamblers out there. And fwiw, why would GU historically be a good bet ?

Just A Zag
03-01-2009, 10:14 AM
This might be one of the dumbest articles I've ever read. Coach K on the don't trust and Tim Floyd on the "trust" list!? Are you kidding me! TIM FLOYD! FAIL

FuManShoes
03-01-2009, 10:16 AM
To clarify, my issue isn't so much with Few's inclusion on the list but with the patently, statistically false commentary on why it is the Zags could be expected to underperform in March. The defense has improved greatly and thus if the Zags get booted early this year, either the defense they have been playing all year will have failed them or other bugaboos (missed FTs, turnovers, clanked threes, lost rebounds, foul-plagued big men, lack of adjustments) will have reared their ugly head. But it wouldn't be a case of the Zags just being the Zags and running, gunning and paying little attention to defense. This team is molded differently than that and any betting expert worth his salt would look at the stats and recognize that past performance isn't always an indicator of future success.

Pleasant Peninsula
03-01-2009, 10:44 AM
I like how two coaches on the "trust" list probably won't make the tournament anyway...(okay, Utah State probably will, but only if they win their tournament)...

CDC84
03-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Maybe the writer should've watched the Gonzaga/USD game last night. Hardly a run up and down the floor with no defense type of affair.

jim77
03-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Dumb article.

The Zags are one of the leading defensive teams in the nation...they lead in 2 point FG's. Coach K....is a do not trust? I got some advice for that guy...only a fool bets against Duke.....depending on the spread. Like em' or hate em' the Blue devils come to play.

Vanzagger
03-01-2009, 12:50 PM
writer may have watched last night and didn't like our 5 guard line up.

Any comments?

It's March everybody.

Das Zagger
03-01-2009, 05:33 PM
As of 2/26 GU led the nation in defensive field goal percentage, I don't get the "not buying into the defense" bit.

I wouldn't buy into Trent after his "escapades" during last year's tourney.

I don't buy into Duke either but because they rely so much on outside play.