PDA

View Full Version : 3 point shots

zagfan24
03-01-2009, 07:55 AM
The Zags shot only 11 3's against USD, making 6 of them. Against Santa Clara, we shot 13 (making 5). If ESPN's stats are right, we've shot a total of 517 3's this year, or an average of about 18.5 per game. I'm delighted to see that this number is coming down.

It's tough to compare wins and losses because clearly a team is forced to shoot more 3's when coming back late in a game. That said, I noticed earlier this year that we were settling for long-distance shots way too often, especially early on in games. This meant that we were 1) not getting the ball to Josh enough, 2) our guards weren't often building up confidence by getting to the bucket and getting some easy looks, and 3) we weren't getting to the FT line enough and weren't getting other teams bigs in foul trouble by attacking the basket.

The 3-point shot is key in college basketball, and I don't think the new distance has changed that much. The Zags clearly have a lot of guys that can shoot from deep. However, I think Pargo and Bouldin are both at their best going to the bucket -- and I think SG might get out of his slump more quickly by doing the same. Furthermore, Josh's recent dominance inside is a good reminder of how important it is to keep him involved.

I'd love to see the Zags keep working from the inside out, rather than the other way around. It appears to be happening, and I would guess it's something Coach Few has emphasized.

TacomaZAG
03-01-2009, 08:07 AM
I'm glad to see that stat coming down as well. Part of the reason I think Josh has played so well lately is he is finally getting the touches he needs to stay involved in the offense. With the guys we have, we can get a 3 point shot anytime we want, but we are a better team going from the inside out. I was bummed to read that Josh only took 6 shots last night (making 4) until I read here that he was in early foul trouble. Don't hate, but I missed the game due to the good weather in Tacoma and a little white ball calling my name.......

Speaking of touches, Micah needs to take more than 4 shots a game.

Go ZAGS

roxdoc
03-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Probably not a trend (although I wish it were). Reason we were going inside more for last several games is that our opponents did not have particularly formidable defensive players in the paint.