PDA

View Full Version : All WCC Honors (Last Minute Thoughts)

FieldHouseFishHouse
02-28-2009, 11:44 PM
With the final conference game over, we have a short opportunity to look over the conference games and pick our best players (and predict the real awards) before the official results come out. Some of my thoughts:
I was leaning toward MB for Zag MVP (conference season only) before this game. He ended up outplaying Heytvelt in the final game by a small but obvious margin. This is not a WCC honor, but I think it helps to define the best player on the best team when you talk about WCC POY.
All WCC is tough to call. Ten spots are available, including the POY. In my mind, Heytvelt and Bouldin are in. I think Jeremy Pargo is one of the top ten players in the WCC, but statistically he is on the bubble. Kevin Young (SCU), T.J Campbell (POR), Kevin Foster (SCU), Nik Raivio (POR) and Keion Bell (PEP) will all get votes. This may be controversial, Mills would not get my vote for All WCC (the coaches might disagree). He had a better than 50/50 chance of grabbing POY if he was not hurt, its a shame we didn't get to see what he could do in a full season. With Bouldin a lock, 2 or 3 of the previously mentioned players will be left out (though Foster and Bell will likely not be left out of the All freshmen team). For the fowards, John Bryant (SCU), Dior Lowhorn (USF) and Diamon Simpson (SMU) will also make All WCC. Omar Samhan (SMC), Gyno Pomare (SDU) and Kevin Young (LMU) are on the bubble.
All Freshman - I really don't know, probably will not feature a Zag (sorry Meech)
Defensive POY - Diamon Simpson SMC
POY is also tough. Bouldin finished up the season very strong, Heytvelt had a good last game (but stats below his averages). John Bryant had a monster last game, 21 points 20 rebounds and 3 blocks in a big overtime win against Portland. This game gave SCU solitary possession of 4th in the WCC (though they owned the tie-breaker over SDU for seeding purposes). Bryant finishes with 18ppg (2nd) 15.1rpg (1st) 2.4bpg (1st) 62.1%fg (1st) and 72.4%ft (6th). Bouldin finishes with 15.4ppg (5th) 3.7apg (t2nd) 49.1 3pt% (3rd) 2.36 assist/turnover (1st) 53.2 fg% (7th) 1.29spg (t8th). It all comes down to what the coaches value. They have demonstrated in the past that playing for a team at the top of the conference gives a player a boost (see Sean Denison). However, I cannot get around the monster season Bryant has had. I think he will get the award and I think he deserves it. Additionally (though it has been suggested that one player from each team is nominated for the award) I still see a possibility that JH and MB split votes from the "top team sympathetic" coaches.
To sum up (my picks, not predictions)
POY - Bryant
ALL WCC - Bryant, Bouldin, Heytvelt, Lowhorn, Simpson, Campbell, Foster,
Bell, Samhan (I just threw up a little) and Pargo

Reborn
03-01-2009, 05:49 AM
Player of the year: Josh Heytvelt. He outplayed Bryant in both matchups. And without his outstanding performance against Santa Clara Thursday night we would not have been undefeated in conference. I also thought Josh outplayed Samhan convincingly in both our wins against St. Mary's.

Josh Heytvelt.
Simpson,
Matt Bouldin
Foster
Campbell
Bryant
Dior Lowhorn
Nick Raivio
Jeremy Pargo
Bell

Freshman of year: Foster, Santa Clara
Defensive Player of the year: Josh Heytvelt

Coach of the year: Mark Few, Gonzaga. First team to have three undefeated teams in one decade. I think that this Zag team challenged Coach Few in a way he hasn't been before. I think he handled the season, and the guys really, really well. This is a pretty tempermental team. Some times when you have a lot of talent it's tougher to coach. Few Kept these guys together after some pretty tough times. I also think he brought out the best in Josh and Matt this year. Those two guys have had very good seasons and really showed a lot of improvement.

gamagin
03-01-2009, 07:38 AM
MB

NEC26
03-01-2009, 08:02 AM
I understand that Bryant has good stats but when you watch him he is not dominate, he is just a big solid center with decent skills. He racks up the stats because there are only two players that score on that team he and Foster. I would not have had a problem with Mills getting poy had he not gotten injured even if they came in second but he was clearly a cut above the rest. John Bryant is on the fourth place team and that in itself shows he is not that dominate.

77Zag
03-01-2009, 08:23 AM
Maybe it has been addressed, but when does the WCC post the results for All League and POY?

thanks

GoZags
03-01-2009, 08:34 AM
Historically it's Tuesday.

But that was under Gilleran's watch. That being said -- I'm still expecting it to be released on Tuesday.

Rangerzag
03-01-2009, 08:37 AM
I understand that Bryant has good stats but when you watch him he is not dominate, he is just a big solid center with decent skills. He racks up the stats because there are only two players that score on that team he and Foster. I would not have had a problem with Mills getting poy had he not gotten injured even if they came in second but he was clearly a cut above the rest. John Bryant is on the fourth place team and that in itself shows he is not that dominate.

The original JP (Batista) did as well as Bryant with a nation leading scorer on the same team. That is what should take place on a team with only two who score significantly.

jpwils
03-01-2009, 08:45 AM
Bryant was consistently outplayed head to head by Heytvelt.

Also Bryant turned in a sub-par performance first game against SMC.

Mills deserves spot on All WCC team.

BobZag
03-01-2009, 08:58 AM
I don't think Mills is eligible, you have to play a certain % of the games.

My All-WCC Team--

Bouldin
Heytvelt
Bryant
Lowhorn
Pomare
Raivio
Campbell
Simpson
Bell
Samhan

POY - Bryant
COY - Few
DPOY - Simpson
NOY - Foster

tyra
03-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Matt and Josh could split votes for POY as Adams/Davis did, both appearing in the movie Doubt and both nominated for Best Supporting Actress. Furthermore, Bryant's season line is exceptional. Nonetheless, Josh owned him in both appearances. At the end of the day, POY should go to someone who both had exceptional individual stats but also made his team better. On the basis, considering both Matt and Josh . . . I punt. :)

fedwayzag
03-01-2009, 11:28 AM
One thing that has not been mentioned is defense in regards to player of the year. I think Josh has had an outstanding defensive conference year. So factor his offense and defense and I think he gets it. Just my opinion.

Vanzagger
03-01-2009, 12:37 PM
pick anyone of the Zags. Any! Hillbilly, let's write in Pendo too.

Sorry. Feeling a little Zag. 14-0 good job Zags.

Let's get big. Let's get nasty. Let's get eight more wins.

You all really care about stats and awards right now? Save yourselves something for this summer, minus who's going to start this season.

Zags are the greatest!

bigparb
03-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Co-MVP: Bouldin and Big John
COY: Fewie
DPOY: Simpson
NCOY: Foster

ALL WCC
Bouldin
Big John
Heytvelt
Raivio
Campbell
Lowhorn
Simpson
Daye
Pargo
Samham

Winning matters....and obviously Mills would be there if eligible.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Bryant had great numbers, but imagine the type of stats that Josh or Austin would have put up if they were in Bryant's position on SCU. In a similar vein, what sort of numbers do you think Big John would have put up if he were on the Zags? Everything's relative.

Also, is it even possible that the POY goes to a non-Zag when GU finished with a PERFECT conference record?

BobZag
03-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Bryant had great numbers, but imagine the type of stats that Josh or Austin would have put up if they were in Bryant's position on SCU. In a similar vein, what sort of numbers do you think Big John would have put up if he were on the Zags? Everything's relative.

Also, is it even possible that the POY goes to a non-Zag when GU finished with a PERFECT conference record?

I agree, Cal, but there is precedence for POY coming from a mid-pack team in the WCC.

GoZags
03-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Sticking with my picks from a week or two ago (on the WCC Board):

POY -- Bryant (although Josh or Matt would work for me)
NOY -- Portland's Campbell (SCU's Foster a close 2nd)
COY -- Reveno and Few share the award
Defensive POY -- Mills (a reach -- but the kid deserves some honors in my opinion)

Heytvelt
Pargo
Bouldin
Daye
Simpson
Bryant
Lowhorn
Raivio
Mills (again, could be a reach)
Pomare

Nevtelen
03-01-2009, 02:08 PM
ALL WCC:

Bryant
Heytvelt
Lowhorn
Simpson
Raivio
Bell
Bouldin
Campbell (sp?)
Pomare
Samhan

BTW, anyone know if this has to follow positions (i.e. 2 guys from every position) or if it's just the ten best players? It's a lot easier to find deserving big men this year than great guards in the WCC. Obviously, Mills is there if eligible.

POY: Bryant
COY: Reveno
DPOY: Simpson

GonzagaDynasty
03-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Im not clear if the POY is like the MLB where its usually a player on a good team, But if its not, I have to give it to Bryant. The guy puts up unreal numbers, you've got to credit him. As for Coach of the year, I've gotta give it to Reveno....

But dont forget who the best TEAM is. Gonzaga, and thats all that matters to me.