PDA

View Full Version : Sweet 16 games

lothar98zag
03-21-2007, 10:34 PM
Anyone have any comments on the 8 games on Thu & Fri? Who do you think will win? Who do you want to win? What are you hoping to see? Any game interest you more than the others? why? Have any opinions on the betting lines? (entertainment purposes only, of course) What players do you most want to watch? Any teams you really want to see lose & lose badly? Any overall thoughts on the tourney to date? etc, etc...

(all times Pacific)
Thursday
West (San Jose)
#1 Kansas (-9) v #4 S Illinois 4:10pm
#2 UCLA(-3) v #3 Pitt 6:40pm
South (San Antonio)
#2 Memphis (+3) v #3 Texas A&M 4:27pm
#1 Ohio St (-4.5) v #5 Tenn 6:57pm

Friday
Midwest (St Louis)
#1 Florida (-10.5) v #5 Butler 4:10pm
#3 Oregon (-3) v #7 UNLV 6:40pm
East (E Rutherford)
#2 Gtown (-7.5) v #6 Vandy 4:27pm
#1 UNC (-8.5) v #5 USC 6:57pm

HillBillyZag
03-22-2007, 07:56 AM
I will be pulling for Butler, Southern Ill., Memphis, and UNLV. I must be a masochist , but I have to take David over Goliath every time.

HillBillyZag
03-22-2007, 08:04 AM
I have to root for Butler, Southern Ill., Memphis, and UNLV. I just have to take David over Goliath most every time except when the Zags are favorites. I do admire the Florida kids decesion to stay in School and go for a repeat, but not enough to make me root for the Gators.

omahazag
03-22-2007, 08:21 AM
Being from Oregon, I want the ducks to do well and think they could be dangerous so long as the 3 ball is going down...I would like to see UCLA win too because i don't think the Pac-10, let alone the entire west coast, gets any respect(in all sports). Seriously, people in the Midwest think the west coast teams are worthless in every sport. Nebraska fans kill me.

I'd like to see Souther Illinois do well too. I'm a Creighton fan so I like it when the Missouri Valley does well in the tourney....

As for everyone else, i could care less...don't like any of them.

CDC84
03-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Do not be surprised if UNLV knocks out Oregon. The Rebels are a very disciplined team with a quality, experienced point guard. They also have good bulk and size in the middle. They aren't likely to get suckered into playing Oregon's game.

If USC plays like it did against Texas, they might take out UNC.

I don't think Florida is going to have any problems in their region. Book the airplane for Atlanta right now.

If Affalo doesn't recover his shooting stroke, UCLA might not get past Pitt tonight. They certainly won't get by Kansas.

Douglas-Roberts is a game time decision for Memphis tonight. Even if he can go, it's going to be tough for Memphis to beat A&M because the game is in San Antonio, and the crowd will be filled with Aggie fans.

ZAGFAN78
03-22-2007, 09:46 AM
The memphis v. A&M intrigues me the most.........pulling for the aggies in this one.

As long as UCLA loses and North Carolina gets beat then everything will be honky dory. I cant stand either of those programs.......never have. I guess any underdogs will get my vote.

Oh and Oregon MUST lose too..........cant stand them ducks....

lothar98zag
03-22-2007, 12:33 PM
The KU - SIU game interests me due to the contrast in style. If SIU can keep he game slow and ugly, they have a chance. If KU is able to run whenever they want, the game may be over by halftime.

UCLA v Pitt - 1st to 40 wins (and I'm guessing it'll be UCLA, since mentor tend to beat pupils the first time they meet and the crowd will easily favor the Bruins)

Memphis - A&M should be entertaining. It'll basically be a home game for A&M (explains why they're the only high seed that's the betting favorite). But I guess they deserve it after having to win a road game to get to this point.

Midwest region - my bracket blew up last weekend, so I don't care who wins, I'm just praying the gators lose b4 Atlanta.

OregonZag5
03-22-2007, 01:04 PM
Of course am rooting for the Ducks- second team and beside duck wife and children always root for the Zags

NJZag
03-22-2007, 02:55 PM
Butler and SIU to do well and represent the far-too-often overlooked conferences.

Edited to add: Dang! That game was winnable, too!

And this team to do even better because it is, in fact, a small Jesuit school even if its league is not one that's overlooked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVnG3LoeXMo

"We are ..... "

Their "unexpected" point guard from a farm in the deep South ...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/22/AR2007032202043.html

Wallace said he still gets ribbed about his country 'Bama roots, with teammates first asking him if he ever heard of Metro or a taxi. They ask where Huntsville is and say they didn't know people played basketball in Alabama. "I usually say, 'I'll show you. Watch,' " Wallace said.

And when the Hoyas he's tightest with, Green and Tyler Crawford, thought the stories about the farm back home were embellished, Wallace brought them to rural Alabama two summers ago to experience his world. The memories from that trip still evoke loud laughter in the Hoyas' locker room.

"He had this one scary cow that would just stare at me and Tyler," Green said. "It had a broken horn that was just dangling. That kind of freaked me out a little bit."

Said Crawford, "Me and Jeff were trying to find exits out in case they charged."

"I don't know if they ran, but they were afraid," Wallace said. "They saw animals that big, they automatically thought they were going to be eaten."

Wallace had grown up bailing hay, feeding the herd and working on tractors. It's safe to say he's the only Georgetown point guard in recent memory whose father raised cattle for a living. He's also the only one who turned down Princeton to follow a young coach who had just gotten his first big-time job.

Other thing to like about this team ... they have somebody to remind all the others about "the chip" and how important it is. Stay hungry, Hoyas.

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20070323-124516-1490r.htm