PDA

View Full Version : ---GUnit of the Game--( USD ) -- 2/28

RenoZag
02-28-2009, 05:24 PM
Zags go 7 - 1 in February. . .Win the WCC regular season with a 14 - 0 mark.

23 - 5 on the season.

Balanced scoring from the starters, good defense throughout the game.

Who's your GUnit, Zag fans ?

DoMieD
02-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Very good Team Effort, but Bouldin did everything great.

gamagin
02-28-2009, 05:27 PM
I think he broke it open for us and finished strong. lots of double digit scorers and excellent, balanced teamwork, much of the time ! all good.

Go Zags !

Angelo Roncalli
02-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Matty B.

Pleasant Peninsula
02-28-2009, 05:29 PM
Matty B

FieldHouseFishHouse
Micah Downs. Efficient scoring, quality minutes. MB had the better line, but Down tenacity on defense impressed me tonight.

gozags09
Kind of uninspired workmanlike effort...Matty played steady through most of the game....Josh seemed to be the only Zag ready to play at the tip...Jeremy gave us a spark...Micah played hard...two big threes to settle it...

GUNIT = Matty

johnwzag
02-28-2009, 05:33 PM
I am going to be a little different. Pargo had some quality minutes where if he did not have them, USD would have been ahead of us and we may have lost that game. He kept us ahead and Matt and Micah finished it off.

FuManShoes
02-28-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm going with the team. For one, several guys made solid contributions at different times - Heyt at the start, Pargo near the end of the half, Downs, Bouldin and Daye in the second half. But most of all, it took teamwork to run through the WCC undefeated and this group deserves some special recognition.

SDzagster
02-28-2009, 05:46 PM
I'll give it to Matty but it was really Coach Few and the overall team effort. Coach Few showed a real toughness on the bench tonight - no way was he going to lose to Billy Grier.

El Voce
02-28-2009, 05:49 PM
It was a real team effort on the defensive end. USD uglied it up, like they always do, and it took a long time for our offense to kick in. But the defense was solid all night, forcing USD to work real hard for all their points.

On offense, Josh was hot out of the gate, while you Comcastians were loving NASCAR. Then, with the offense totally stagnant, JP caused two turnovers in a row, and scored on both of them, turning the momentum around.

Micah hit two huge three's in a row to ignite the second half surge, while Matt was our all-around most consistent scorer.

As Reno pointed out at the front of this thread, 23-5 record, 14-0 in league. I think this team is peaking at about the right time.

Go Zags!

malmer7
02-28-2009, 05:49 PM
it was definitely a great team effort, but i had to choose one so i went with micah - his big buckets and rebounds were very timely... great game zags!

NEC26
02-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Matt Bouldin,he led the team in points rebounds and assists.

LongIslandZagFan
02-28-2009, 05:55 PM
The guy the lead the team in rebounds, assists and points... Matty B.

kitzbuel
02-28-2009, 05:56 PM
I liked Jeremy's play tonight. It was a team win and as a team leader, he really set the tone. He did what needed to be done and picked up his intensity and penetrated when it was needed.

azzagfan
02-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Based on the index numbers for the game:

Matt Bouldin

Bouldin 20
Downs 15
Heytvelt 14
Daye 9
Pargo 3
Gray 3
Brown 3
Goodson 0

Zag total 67
Torrero total 55.5

RenoZag
02-28-2009, 06:04 PM
I opted for Mr. Pargo also. I thought he sucked the wind out of the USD hopes with those back-to-back steals in the first stanza. . .

Matty B certainly "out-statted" Jeremy and others also made significant contributions, but since we can only vote once. . .

The Zags' D is awesome to behold ( when it is clicking ) The Toreros really had to work their arses off to score.

USMC69
02-28-2009, 06:08 PM
Since I got to see "go fast, turn left" for most of the first half. I'll go with the index and Matt.

gozagswoohoo
02-28-2009, 06:42 PM
You can't really vote wrong tonight....and after much debate, I decided on Mr. Bouldin because of the 7 boards.

snebzag
02-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Matt Bouldin.

No clear cut winner in this one. Micah, Josh and JP all had some good spurts. Matt was solid throughout.

Ziggy
02-28-2009, 06:59 PM
THE TEAM as G-Unit.
HM to Heytvelt,Pargo,Downs, Bouldin! :D

former1dog
02-28-2009, 07:39 PM
The guy the lead the team in rebounds, assists and points... Matty B.

+1

fedwayzag
02-28-2009, 07:42 PM
I went with Pargo. Those steals could not have come at a better time. He looked in control of the offense. While he did not have many assists, he seemed to keep the offense moving.

Bocco
02-28-2009, 07:54 PM
I also thought those 2 steals by Pargo changed the game, so in a game with so many players contirbuting I'll go with the one that provided the spark that got everyone else going.

Reborn
02-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Matt B. I thought he had a pretty good game. He shot the ball pretty good tonight 15 points, 2-3 from behind the arc. He also had 7 rebounds. He was constantly attacking their defense, and just couldn't get any calls tonight (1-1 from the line).

Hey! What about those black uni's? We're 2-0 in them.

misszigzag
02-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Pargo's back to back steals did it for me tonight. He was having fun out there tonight, and it showed.

An all around great team effort!

2wiceright
02-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Pargo- he was the X factor we needed tonight with those multiple steals , and plaing like the leader we needed!

NotoriousZ
02-28-2009, 11:07 PM
From what I did see (thanks duece for the awesome nascar) I went with Micah. He was an animal on D and he made his few shots count. Another good team preformance also...I'm excited for Senior night to see Mr. Sorenson start! That's going to be fun, I get to be there live to see it. And since it's on KHQ, all the locals will get to watch the WHOLE game. Hopefully FSN doesn't screw the rest of y'all like ESPN2 routinely does, the first 5 or 10 minutes of this game is going to be memorable.

Dickau43
03-01-2009, 03:38 AM
My vote goes to Bouldin; nothing spectacular, just solid and consistent contribution and good leadership. Downs is a close second for the spark he provided. Pargo's back to back steals were huge but I still don't see how he's getting any votes, since he shot 2 for 13 outside of those two plays and only had one assist in 30 minutes :confused:

Go Zags!

Reborn
03-01-2009, 05:10 AM
It's interesting about Pargo. We all know what a man of character he is. I don't recall him ever playing all that good against Bill Gier's San Diego team. Actually, this may have been his best performance of any of them. I think Pargo is just too loyal to Grier. It was hard to believe how easy it was for Pargo to get inside. He just couldn't finish. I think that WAS his worst game shooting this year. His defense was great at times, good at times, and sometimes horrible. I noticed Few finally put him on the bench for quite awhile in the second half.

However, those two steals were HUGE. I think that they kind of seemed to break San Diego's back. Stealing the ball that clean, and leaving their point guard that naked, once during a game is bad enough. But TWICE? It really hurt 'em. I think Pargo was kind of telling Grier, "I love ya Billy. But I'm not lettin ya have this one. Not my last conference game at GU" This game was never close, and if it had been I'm sure many more of Pargo's shots would have been falling."

Once and Future Zag
03-01-2009, 08:52 AM
Micah - just made life hell for whomever he was guarding.

Nobody stood out on offense, so I'm giving this one to the best defensive player (Pargo's pickpocketing aside)

UberZagFan
03-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Uber's going with Matty B. for total game effort and efficiency across the board. Points, boards, and assists says it all.

Usually, Uber stops there but Micah's performance is worth mentioning. As much as Pargo's steals and subsequent lay-ins swayed the momentum in the first half, it was Micah's play on both ends of the court in the second half that made Uber breathe easier down the stretch.

A brief comment on Pargo's play...aside from those two back to back steals, Pargo's game was pretty inconsistent -- his defense was decent but he couldn't buy a shot. He was 4-15 from the field and two of those were break away 1 on nobody lay-ins/dunks. He was solid from the line though.