PDA

View Full Version : Game Day tailgate party

gamagin
02-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Few said in his pre road trip interview that he expected grier to try and keep the scoring at 40 or lower, "if he can."

AS as we flip our brats (those on the grill and in the house) over today before the game, I wonder what the astute and passionate GUB fans think we should do vs. S. D. -- should we play our game or theirs ?

Should we set up camp underneath, as we did against smc, or should we revert back to the top 'o the key gunning that we seem to like ? Or should we switch back and forth as the opportunities arise ?

And perhaps more importantly, which one do any of you think might allow us to get S.D. out of this game early and keep them there ?

The chess match between Grier and few is On. And few said in the interview that S.D. is going to play "for their lives."

The question, then, is which team and which coach's system and discipline will prevail, imo. I suspect there will be lapses on both sides because there usuually are.

We have the better team and the better athletes, but we are less sure when it comes to playing the mental part of the game -- especially against Grier et al. He preps his guys really well to play us - especially well.

I'll consider this W more significant if we force S.D. to play us on our terms. Not the other way around. I think we're good enough to play a slow down and ball control game if we need to , but I don't think we do.

Wondering what you would do and how you would play this if you were battling your best friend AND wanting very much to beat him to a pulp ?
Or in grier's case, steal a win.

Go Zags !

Reborn
02-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Why would Few slow the game down? San Diego is two guards short. How will they handle our pressure? I would full and half and three quarter press them all game long. This is it for the Zags. If Few plays into Grier's hand, well...we'll see what happens. Gonzaga NEVER plays good when they slow it down. Run, run, run, run and keep pushing the ball up court and get the game up into the 70's at least. Press, press, press, and all man to man. Don't give their guards a chance.

Gonzaga by a dozen at least.

GU69
02-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Yup. Run and press all the time.

Always push the ball. That's what we do best, we have the bench to keep fresh, and eventually it wears down the other team.

gamagin
02-28-2009, 02:44 PM
you watching the AZ-WSU game. there's 2 mins left and the score is in the 40's. Meaning it's not what WE want but who dictates the pace, and how.

But I agree. we need to play our game.

az-wsu tied at 43 and going into otime. we'll see how the slow game plays out. now and later . . . vs S.D.

Go Zags !

gozags09
02-28-2009, 02:45 PM
We need to just impose our will on them. We have better athletes. Press...run...front Pomare as we did in the game at the Kennel. Zags by 18...

14-0!!!

gamagin
02-28-2009, 03:06 PM
rochestie cans a 3 from about 5 ft behind the nba distance at the top of the key with 2 secs left. it's senior day. his parents were there. great win for the cougs.

And for WSU running a slow ball control game worked out perfectly. az, meantime, goes home from two straight ot losses. tough.

Go Zags

gamagin
02-28-2009, 03:11 PM
We need to just impose our will on them. We have better athletes. Press...run...front Pomare as we did in the game at the Kennel. Zags by 18...

14-0!!!

I'm drinking to this right now !

Go Zags !

RenoZag
02-28-2009, 03:15 PM
Pass the guacamole. . .