PDA

View Full Version : Retrospective Article: Carl Minns

Angelo Roncalli
02-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Gonzaga's first Bahamanian player was a lanky, spring-legged forward named Carl Minns. Carl was one of the nicest guys I've ever met, a very humble man. While he was a good basketball player, he was an outstanding volleyballer. When he'd go up to spike, his eyes would shine and he'd break into a huge grin. I'm sure Hondo has some memories of Carl:

http://www.thenassauguardian.com/sports/4753390877796.php

GoZags
02-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Carl Minns was a warm, kind hearted man. I was able to spend time with Carl down in Miami several years after we got out of Gonzaga.

One of the nicest people I've ever met.

And before his knee injury he could jump out of the gym.

hondo46
02-27-2009, 01:26 PM
The last time I saw Carl was at Joe Cooney's 65 birthday party in 1988. I think Carl was living at the time in Florida or the Bahamas and came to Spokane just for the party. Carl was a close friend of Mychal Thompson and I think of Carl every time I watch one of Mychal's sons play hoops.
Hondo sat across the Sunday dinner table from Carl and Francine many times and always enjoyed them. Now I see there is a young Carl Minns playing footbal for King Kamehameha High School in Hawaii. Pretty good chance.

TexasZagFan
02-27-2009, 01:43 PM
He was a heckuva fast-pitch softball pitcher. I had the good fortune :eek: to be on the receiving end of his pitches during several intramural games. to tell the truth, I was "volunteered" to play catcher when he pitched...I never should have stated that I played catcher in HS.

Carl was simply one of the warmest, friendliest people I've ever had the good fortune to know.

Angelo Roncalli
02-27-2009, 02:48 PM
I remember Carl pitching out on Mulligan. With those long arms and legs and windmill fastpitch windup, he was halfway to the plate by the time he let go of the ball.

mtzaga
02-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Carl Minns was in some of the classes I took. I agree with all the sentiments; he was a really nice guy.

Bing
02-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Carl was our generation's Ronny Turiaf. Everybody who met him loved him -- including the kids.