PDA

View Full Version : Latest Bracketology: #7 Seed?!

Zag4Hire
02-27-2009, 08:49 AM
Hmmm...I am a bit confused. We are apparently a cold team right now and headed downwards. According to Lunardi, we would be looking at a #7 seed versus Siena in Boise with a looming matchup versus #2 Kansas. I am guessing the RPI/SoS numbers are down a bit. If the Zags go undefeated and win the WCC tourney, I can't see them being a #7. Just win the games you are slated to play and everything will work itself out. Maybe we need that ole Zag spirit...I can hear Gus now with a #7 Gonzaga down 1 against #2 Kansas at Boise with 12 seconds left..'Pargo..The Runner...Loose Ball...Heytvelt with the tip in....IT'S GOOD. Here comes KU...Don't want to foul..Collins..from the cornnneeerrr...off the rim. GON-ZAGA! The Slipper still fits!'

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

Das Zagger
02-27-2009, 08:52 AM
I can't figure this out either. Another thing that puzzled me, SMC dropped completely out of the "next 4 out" category.

TheReasonableZag
02-27-2009, 09:00 AM
I would take that draw in a Missoula Minute. Boise? Yes please. Siena? Yes please. Kansas (as opposed to a myriad of other potential high-seed second round opponents)? Could be worse. Zags playing with chip on shoulder? Yes please. Would be a much better draw than last year, fo sure.

zagzilla
02-27-2009, 09:07 AM
This is all academic but Lunardi keeps coming up with these head scratchers.

Siena is a rotten #10 seed to get. 22-6 with an RPI of 24? Thanks for nothing. The saints fans would be ticked off too.

Why not assign us to play Florida in Miami? Oh...right. We'd have to be 6 seed to get that lucky.

SMC drops out of the picture completely despite no recent losses and a win vs Utah State in a bracket buster gm?

Oh well. Keep wining guys. Lunardi doesn't make the brackets anyway

ZZ

jim77
02-27-2009, 09:08 AM
I would take that draw in a Missoula Minute. Boise? Yes please. Siena? Yes please. Kansas (as opposed to a myriad of other potential high-seed second round opponents)? Could be worse. Zags playing with chip on shoulder? Yes please. Would be a much better draw than last year, fo sure.

Me too.

Not to knock last nights game but, being taken down to the wire by a WCC team full of freshmen starters....and Bryant sitting quite a bit isn't exactly gonna move ya up the polls. Didn't the Zags destroy this same team earlier?? The wanks showed up just in time. I doubt the committe was all that impressed with the win. The bcs schools are gonna put a bunch in this year.

kylasdad
02-27-2009, 09:11 AM
Im not as concerned about seed as I am about matchup/location. Boise with Siena/Kansas is just about as good as having the 2 seed in boise imo!!!

former1dog
02-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Me too.

Not to knock last nights game but, being taken down to the wire by a WCC team full of freshmen starters....and Bryant sitting quite a bit isn't exactly gonna move ya up the polls. Didn't the Zags destroy this same team earlier?? The wanks showed up just in time. I doubt the committe was all that impressed with the win. The bcs schools are gonna put a bunch in this year.

Jim,

A couple responses.

- For seeding purposes, I don't think margin of victory is factored in. A win, is a win, is a win.

- Your opponents RPI IS factored in, win or lose and our RPI slips each time we play teams like LMU, Pepp, SCU, etc... Happens every year.

- I don't care if SCU is stocked with a bunch of freshman who we destroyed earlier in the season. They played GREAT last night and its a testament to our teams durability that we beat them last night. SCU played good enough to win.

Zagsker
02-27-2009, 09:22 AM
- I don't care if SCU is stocked with a bunch of freshman who we destroyed earlier in the season. They played GREAT last night and its a testament to our teams durability that we beat them last night. SCU played good enough to win.

I understand the whole idea that when we play on the road in the WCC this is the biggest game of the year for those teams..........but

we outmatched them at every position by a WIDE margin (except for the 5 spot, but Heyvelt still takes the cake in that one)........we should have beat this team without needing a late surge and some help from objects in the stands.

EngineerZag
02-27-2009, 09:41 AM
We couldn't buy an open bucket, especially from 3 pt range, after the opening few minutes. Bouldin, Downs, Gray, and Daye all missed wide open threes in the second half. And, we missed so many darn free throws again. If you look at the front ends of one-and-ones that we missed and Downs' beautiful 0-for-2 attempt when we finally got in the double bonus, just that by itself is 6 points. Not to mention all the other times we got to the line during the game and went 1 for 2 just about every trip. We've got to get this free throw thing straightened out, it's going to kill us in the tourney.

marczagfan
02-27-2009, 10:01 AM
I think a 7 seed in this region, with these matchups, would be great. I know a 7 seed is not what we want, and should we win out will most likely be a 5 or 6, but this pairing is great. Siena is a good team, but the zags are heads and shoulders better than they are, we have too much talent. Not to look ahead too much, but a potential second round matchup with KU, how sweet would it be to knock of the defending national champs....KU is good, but not nearly as good as they were last year...and most likely not a 2 seed caliber team (griffin being out for OU helps their case now, and this 2 seed could just as easily go to Mizzou). On top of that, duke is the 3 seed in this region, I would have to say I like this path to the final four. I know these pairings and seedings will change over the next few weeks but we could be in a lot worse shape than the pairings that were predicted today.

Zagsker
02-27-2009, 10:06 AM
I think a 7 seed in this region, with these matchups, would be great. I know a 7 seed is not what we want, and should we win out will most likely be a 5 or 6, but this pairing is great. Siena is a good team, but the zags are heads and shoulders better than they are, we have too much talent. Not to look ahead too much, but a potential second round matchup with KU, how sweet would it be to knock of the defending national champs....KU is good, but not nearly as good as they were last year...and most likely not a 2 seed caliber team (griffin being out for OU helps their case now, and this 2 seed could just as easily go to Mizzou). On top of that, duke is the 3 seed in this region, I would have to say I like this path to the final four. I know these pairings and seedings will change over the next few weeks but we could be in a lot worse shape than the pairings that were predicted today.

completely agree

former1dog
02-27-2009, 10:06 AM
we outmatched them at every position by a WIDE margin (except for the 5 spot, but Heyvelt still takes the cake in that one)........we should have beat this team without needing a late surge and some help from objects in the stands.

Agreed. That is why I say they played GREAT. I mean, they really got after us on the defensive end and were super agressive on the offensive end, especially their guards. Credit where it is due, SCU put in a helluva an effort.

I honestly didn't think we played all that bad. Obviously Josh played well, but I though Pargo played great also.

Our free throw shooting was the biggest area of frustration for me.

Zagsker
02-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Agreed. That is why I say they played GREAT. I mean, they really got after us on the defensive end and were super agressive on the offensive end, especially their guards. Credit where it is due, SCU put in a helluva an effort.

I honestly didn't think we played all that bad. Obviously Josh played well, but I though Pargo played great also.

Our free throw shooting was the biggest area of frustration for me.

I agree...we didn't play bad...and SCU shot very well.......but it seems whenever we go on the road to play fairly good teams our players never rise to the occassion...it's always the other teams players playing outta their minds and our guys "going through the motions" to a point. Now in saying that..obviously this does not happen EVERY time, but it just seems our boys do not have the killer instinct in them...there is no "I am going to just flat out dominate you" feeling I get from these guys

Please..do not think I am just #####ing to #####...overall I have been very happy with the play of Gonzaga and when you are sitting undefeated in conf and have a 22-5 record it does come off a bit nit-picky.....I just would like to see more......cockiness I guess....knowing that they should beat the living crap outta this team...I just don't get that feeling.....the Portland game we kinda had it though:)

thibaulm
02-27-2009, 10:16 AM
just scares me a tiny bit because i have thought of seina as the sleeper/cinderella coming out of this years bracket. since losing 3 straight in the old spice classic (which i watched and they didnt play poorly) they have only lost 3 games, 2 of them being @pitt and @kansas.

in boise makes me confident though... i suggest tuning into ESPNU at 7pm tonight as seina has their toughest test in conference play taking on @Niagara. i think this game will let me know if i would be happy with this 7 seed

GUinSTL
02-27-2009, 10:18 AM
"I can hear Gus now with a #7 Gonzaga down 1 against #2 Kansas at Boise with 12 seconds left..'Pargo..The Runner...Loose Ball...Heytvelt with the tip in....IT'S GOOD. Here comes KU...Don't want to foul..Collins..from the cornnneeerrr...off the rim. GON-ZAGA! The Slipper still fits!'"

I got goosebumps!
~B

GoZags
02-27-2009, 10:31 AM
"I can hear Gus now with a #7 Gonzaga down 1 against #2 Kansas at Boise with 12 seconds left..'Pargo..The Runner...Loose Ball...Heytvelt with the tip in....IT'S GOOD. Here comes KU...Don't want to foul..Collins..from the cornnneeerrr...off the rim. GON-ZAGA! The Slipper still fits!'"

I got goosebumps!
~B

Nice recall. For a long time, on the old board that was my signature. Unforunately the youtubes of the call leave out the "HOLY COW" at the end of the call. BTW, this is one of my two favorite Gus Johnson/Gonzaga calls. The other I have on video tape -- but have no idea how to get it on youtube.
It's from the 2nd round game -- #10 Seed Gonzaga v #2 Seed St. John's. GoZags
---
"Shot clock turned off.....Calvary.......Hall........8 to shoot........Hall...the runnerrrr......loose ball .....ITS GOOD!!!!.........4.4 to go............Shannon...'Don't want to foul'............Shannon..from the cornerrrrrrrrrr........AND IT'S OVER!!!!!......GONZAGA!!!, THE SLIPPER STILL FITS!!!.....THEY WIN IT 73-72........HOLY COW!!!!" Gus Johnson/Dan Bonner3/99

theirishzag03
02-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Last week you stated that the posted "bracketology" was just an exercise, and that we would be back to our regularly scheduled programming on Friday???

Well, WTH??? UCLA, better than Zags??? hardly!, Xavier that just lost to 14-15 Charlotte? Did you miss that game? ASU? 2 players??? Utah??? Team that beat us by 1 at home when we were playing bad??? Marquette??? Is this with or without Dominic James who broke his foot and is out for the year??? Cal??? That just lost to UCLA last night???

Michigan State still continues to be hugely overrated! A #2seed with home losses to the NCAA basketball powers of Northwestern and Penn State. Recently proven fraudulent by Purdue and having to ralley late to beat Wisconsin. Are they not the same team Maryland drilled in the Old Spice right before we hammered them???

Make your Starbucks a triple next time!

DoMieD
02-27-2009, 10:35 AM
I would love for this draw.. Kansas is far from a #2 IMO.. Would be a good draw for us.

Reborn
02-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Not a bad day for the last weekend in February. We just beat Santa Clara in their gym, and are now given a #7 seen in Boise against Siena. I'll accept that for today. I think Siena is good matchup for the Zags in Boise. Playing Kansas would be no harder than playing the #4 seeds (Clemson, Illinois, Washington or Xavier) in my opinion if we were a #5 seed. There are just so many good teams this year. There's still two more weeks left, and everything will certainly be diferent by then, so don't hold your breath by this week's bracketology.

Zags just need to keep winning. Thats the key for this time of year.

I understand why ST. Mary's is out. They just beat Utah St. and Utah St is in? Now tell me how that makes sense. There is no sense to bracketology. And UCLA at a #5 seed after losing to Washington St at home. Does that makes sense? I think St. Mary's does gets in.

GoZags
02-27-2009, 10:39 AM
Jerry Palm's bracket (available to non-premium after the Friday update) had GU a 6 and UCLA a 7.

In this case -- it'd be a matchup against 11 V Tech and if successful a theoretic 2nd round game against 3 Kansas (in Minneapolis)
http://www.collegerpi.com/

CDC84
02-27-2009, 10:40 AM
I still have a gut feeling that if Gonzaga wins out, they'll play their first two in either Boise or Portland.......

MDABE80
02-27-2009, 10:46 AM
GU is only 6 pts (Utah and UConn)......2pts (if only reg time...not OT loss to UConn) ...from being 24-3. The media has given up on us. Memphis will be remembered too. SInce the WCC is so weak now, it doesn't matter who we beat the rest of the way in during the regular season.

We lost those early season games and it hurts. Then GU went on a huge streak but when a strong D1 team (I wonder if Memphis will be no 1 soon) came out, the kids watched their own loss. Unforgiveable to the media. Falling apart on a national stage..........not good. It'll be up to us to carve out our own niche now........it's like that anyway. Maybe it's best if we get no media support........might be what we need now. In the 70's , the old phrase was to "face the face". Each man must do this to grow. Truth is, it's exactly what's happening to our team.

bullzag23
02-27-2009, 10:58 AM
GU is only 6 pts (Utah and UConn)......2pts (if only reg time...not OT loss to UConn) ...from being 24-3. The media has given up on us. Memphis will be remembered too. SInce the WCC is so weak now, it doesn't matter who we beat the rest of the way in during the regular season.

We lost those early season games and it hurts. Then GU went on a huge streak but when a strong D1 team (I wonder if Memphis will be no 1 soon) came out, the kids watched their own loss. Unforgiveable to the media. Falling apart on a national stage..........not good. It'll be up to us to carve out our own niche now........it's like that anyway. Maybe it's best if we get no media support........might be what we need now. In the 70's , the old phrase was to "face the face". Each man must do this to grow. Truth is, it's exactly what's happening to our team.

Not that I'm giving him any credibility based on this weeks bracketology, but Mr. Lunardi does mention(in the insider details) that Memphis has a good chance to move up to a #1 seed. Without Dyson UCONN could be looking at a slight drop, given they still have to play Notre Dame(they should win this one) and at Pitt, on top of the Big East tourney. As for Utah State being in, if you'll look closely it's because they are currently leading their conference and are being given the automatic bid, not an at large. That is why SMC is out and Utah State is still in.

75Zag
02-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Lots of tickets available for first round NCCAs in either Boise or Portland on StubHub. If the Bulldogs go to either venue it should be fairly easy for fans to support the team.

No time for second guessing or regrets, but you have to wonder whether GU staff might be regretting the late season RPI killing game against USC Upstate. Last I checked their RPI was 293 and dropping. Seems like playing them may cost GU a seeding position or two in the eyes of NCAA committee members. I hope not, but Ouch!

Go Bulldogs! See you in Vegas!

229SintoZag
02-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Lots of tickets available for first round NCCAs in either Boise or Portland on StubHub. If the Bulldogs go to either venue it should be fairly easy for fans to support the team.

No time for second guessing or regrets, but you have to wonder whether GU staff might be regretting the late season RPI killing game against USC Upstate. Last I checked their RPI was 293 and dropping. Seems like playing them may cost GU a seeding position or two in the eyes of NCAA committee members. I hope not, but Ouch!

Go Bulldogs! See you in Vegas!

No way 75-- you just don't get it. This is DEFINITELY worth it. Sorensen gets to start. And the K2 fans get to see a laugher at K2--AT K2--to end the season. That is so worth it--even if it means we go from, say, a 5 seed in Boise to a 7 seed in Timbuktu.

Thank goodness we've already locked down CS-Bakersfield for next year's post-WCC, pre-tournament exhibition.

lothar98zag
02-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Nice recall. For a long time, on the old board that was my signature. Unforunately the youtubes of the call leave out the "HOLY COW" at the end of the call. BTW, this is one of my two favorite Gus Johnson/Gonzaga calls. The other I have on video tape -- but have no idea how to get it on youtube.
It's from the 2nd round game -- #10 Seed Gonzaga v #2 Seed St. John's. GoZags
---
"Shot clock turned off.....Calvary.......Hall........8 to shoot........Hall...the runnerrrr......loose ball .....ITS GOOD!!!!.........4.4 to go............Shannon...'Don't want to foul'............Shannon..from the cornerrrrrrrrrr........AND IT'S OVER!!!!!......GONZAGA!!!, THE SLIPPER STILL FITS!!!.....THEY WIN IT 73-72........HOLY COW!!!!" Gus Johnson/Dan Bonner3/99
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdXeWvucvH8
(no HOLY COW & poor video, but it's still wonderful)

dawgfather11
02-27-2009, 01:56 PM
good maybe this is setting up the committe to do a 3 vs 6 matchup of UW and GU!

TM27
02-27-2009, 02:00 PM
I hope they end up with a 7 seed. Actually, I hope their seed keeps dropping. This is a good team when they play with a purpose... and a very average team when they play for the ESPN top 10. Please give em a 12 seed Joe and then sleep on GU.

Zageist
02-27-2009, 02:53 PM
I like it, GU seems to perform better when expectations are low.

FieldHouseFishHouse
02-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Jim,

A couple responses.

- For seeding purposes, I don't think margin of victory is factored in. A win, is a win, is a win.

-

For the most part(including last night) this is true. However, when the game goes to overtime, it is a different story. Overtime games are looked at differently by "bracketologists" and "pollologists". Teams ranked in the top 25 will often fall after overtime wins vs. lowly teams. Additionally, I have often heard the pundits bragging about mid-majors "taking Memphis/Kansas/UCLA to overtime", even though the result was a loss. I don't know how the selection commitee works, but as a fan who listens to other fans/experts, some wins are bad (or at least only slightly good) wins.

zagzilla
02-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Not much of an answer to the question IMO...
"Jack (Seattle, WA): What gives dropping my Zags to a 7-seed? Just a result of other teams moving up? If they win out, what seed to you see them getting?

Joe Lunardi: I noticed the same thing when today's S-curve was completed, but when you look at Gonzaga side-by-side against the teams just ahead, this spot seems to make sense."
hmmmm......

Here are the #6's-LSU, Utah, Florida St, Cal. 2 weeks ago FSU was a double digit seed and cal is not impressive-2 losses to the beavers!

The other 7's-Texas, Butler, 'Cuse.

If we played a round robin tournament with this group, we would win it. Of course we are getting zero respect for recent wins and every time some BCS school wins against another it self validates how "good" they are.

zagfan07
02-27-2009, 04:57 PM
How does he justify 5 SEC teams making the field???

A month ago, they were talking about 1 or maybe 2 making it in...

Just because some mediocre teams in a big conference are winning games doesn't make them a good team. I get LSU and maybe Tennessee, but South Carolina, Florida and Kentucky do not deserve to make the field. It's the BCS school bias once again.

BobZag
02-27-2009, 05:21 PM
I'd like to play SEC teams.

dawgfather11
02-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Not much of an answer to the question IMO...
"Jack (Seattle, WA): What gives dropping my Zags to a 7-seed? Just a result of other teams moving up? If they win out, what seed to you see them getting?

Joe Lunardi: I noticed the same thing when today's S-curve was completed, but when you look at Gonzaga side-by-side against the teams just ahead, this spot seems to make sense."
hmmmm......

Here are the #6's-LSU, Utah, Florida St, Cal. 2 weeks ago FSU was a double digit seed and cal is not impressive-2 losses to the beavers!

The other 7's-Texas, Butler, 'Cuse.

If we played a round robin tournament with this group, we would win it. Of course we are getting zero respect for recent wins and every time some BCS school wins against another it self validates how "good" they are.

No offense my friend, but you need to just look at your own resume first before you shouting out injustices

21-5 Record
Non Conference Schedule 11
Overall SOS 91
RPI 40
Against top 50 5-7 (2 of those wins are against #50 Saint Mary's who has no business in the top 50 without patty mills)
Last 10 9-1 Last 10

That's a resume for a 5-7 seed don't you think?