PDA

View Full Version : Memphis-Gonzaga 2nite

theirishzag03
02-26-2009, 09:34 PM
The two games played tonight were VERY similar. It truly showed why we are the ONLY teams undefeated in conference play. Memphis played a really inspired UAB team. Zags took an opponents best shot as always. Both games were close at the half (Mem-UAB tied @28-28) GU up by 1 36-35. But both the Zags and Tigers fought and finally flexed their muscle and made runs near the end of the game.

Is this win "tainted?" I mean 6 points off T's ;)

Pargo was awesome, finally shades of the UNC game. In the interview he mentioned having fun and it showed. He definitely show more swagger and toughness. His defense was intense. Loved seeing him drive and finish or pass out to Josh, Matt, and Austin.

Josh- WOW! Sure is making a late statement for WCC POY. If the trend continues he is good for 30 against USD:) His shot is smooth and he isn't taking the time to think. He is squaring up and releasing!

As classy as Tiger fans have been- a shout out to Memphis for beating another Conference USA team, when Memphis is THE game of the year for them. (Something Gonzaga deals with every game in conference)

14-0 Looking good~!

MotoZag
02-26-2009, 11:38 PM
Tainted? No, we were already leading by 4 and the momentum was totally in our favor. If anything, the first T offset our rhythm and caused a bit of defensive laxity by spreading the margin.

Totally agree about Pargo and Josh. 10pts, 5 assists, 4 rebounds, a steal, and no turnovers! That's a solid performance for any guard that is team oriented. Josh is gearing up as well on both offense and defense. Also, I've seen Austin's attitude progressively get better. Even when the game was close and he was being thrown to the ground constantly, he kept his cool and remained focused for a 12pt/5rb performance. I would have liked to see him be more aggressive from the 3 though (just 1-1), because he came out on fire. With my own background, I'd train right along side this guy to get him ready for next year. His confidence will be through the roof WHEN he adds bulk. I don't think it's even a question that he'll put on weight for next year, he's been criticized too much this year and he realizes it's the only thing holding him back from dropping 20+ EVERY SINGLE GAME!

To the untrained eye, people will say we barely won this one. Those will be the people that don't understand how much of a rivalry is created @ Leavey. To our conference, we're like the big brother that hangs you up by your underwear two or three times a year. Sometimes they get to put whip cream in our hands and rub our nose with a feather when we're sleeping. It's a mild to heavy rivalry with every team, unlike other conferences (Memphis being the exception and our brother in arms).

Nuff said.

GUZagDenver
02-27-2009, 06:39 AM
[QUOTE=theirishzag03;380815]The two games played tonight were VERY similar. It truly showed why we are the ONLY teams undefeated in conference play. QUOTE]

Why?? Because we both play in mediocre conferences??

theirishzag03
02-27-2009, 11:42 AM
[QUOTE=theirishzag03;380815]The two games played tonight were VERY similar. It truly showed why we are the ONLY teams undefeated in conference play. QUOTE]

Why?? Because we both play in mediocre conferences??

No, on the contrary. We take every teams' best shot every night! The flow of both games was really similar as well. The runs at the end of the games were alike. If both of our conferences were mediocre why is Memphis a #1 or #2 seed?

GUZagDenver
02-27-2009, 11:54 AM
[QUOTE=GUZagDenver;381114]

No, on the contrary. We take every teams' best shot every night! The flow of both games was really similar as well. The runs at the end of the games were alike. If both of our conferences were mediocre why is Memphis a #1 or #2 seed?

Memphis is a #1 seed because they are extremely athletic and very good. You don't think Duke, North Carolina, and UConn get everyone's best shot every night?? Why aren't they undefeated? Because they play in great conferences. Maybe last night showed why Memphis and GU are the only non-BCS schools that are undefeated in conference, I would agree with that. But there are about 10-15 teams out there that would roll through our conference in a lot better fashion than we did.

theirishzag03
02-27-2009, 09:14 PM
[QUOTE=theirishzag03;381379]

Memphis is a #1 seed because they are extremely athletic and very good. You don't think Duke, North Carolina, and UConn get everyone's best shot every night?? Why aren't they undefeated? Because they play in great conferences. Maybe last night showed why Memphis and GU are the only non-BCS schools that are undefeated in conference, I would agree with that. But there are about 10-15 teams out there that would roll through our conference in a lot better fashion than we did.

And they are??? I remember Santa Clara knocking off UNC, Portland beat UW, Zags own the ACC (prior to our loss vs. Duke in MSG we were 7-1) , San Diego just beat UConn last year (neutral court) Saint Mary's has knocked off BCS schools over the last few years since Paul Marigney. Oregon before they stunk.

So I don't think it is an easy task to do what the Zags or Memphis has done. That is why it is just as impressive they have won it 9 times in a row. They are in rare company with UNLV, Kentucky, and UCLA as far as conference title dominance.

Do I think Pitt, Louisville, UNC, Villanova, UConn or Oklahoma (before Blake was hurt) or Memphis would be undefeated in the WCC this year??? Yes. But I also think there are a few teams projected to get higher seeds (Missouri, Kansas, Purdue, Michigan State, Cal, Arizona State, UW, Marquette, Xavier, UCLA, Utah, and Illinois) that would NOT be perfect in our conference this year