PDA

View Full Version : Throwing objects on the floor...

dnj116
02-26-2009, 09:19 PM
I love to see our guys win, but I hate to see it happen at the expense of some drunk students throwing a coke bottle and a ball of tinfoil on the floor. Again, just shows that the "sixth man" plays a part in the game...

Just_An_Old_Zag
02-26-2009, 09:23 PM
I imagine Coach Keating is still fuming.

Do the Ref's have to call a T on those? I could see letting the first one slide then T'ing them up on the second.

I'd expect this behavior at a state school, a little more surprised it would happen at a private school.

Wonder if the administration will look at the tapes to try and identify the culprits and take action against them?

Let's hope we never see that behavior in the Kennel.

MedZag
02-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Remember our first game against UW in the new Kennel and some idiot threw an icebreakers plastic container on the floor.

Can't remember if the Zags got T'd up for that one, probably because I was fairly inebriated.

The key is that is didn't happen TWICE.

Ok, it happens once, students are pissed, someone makes a stupid decision to express their angst. It happens. But to do it AGAIN, after your COACH asks you to please show some respect? I just... don't know what that person could have been thinking, drunk or not.

ZagSlug
02-26-2009, 09:25 PM
I think the officials will call a T if the object could cause injury.

Some teams get warnings for an object thrown on the floor but I think the 2nd instance is an automatic T

Akzag
02-26-2009, 09:28 PM
I saw the game on tv, but caught the post-game on radio and Hudson said that the bottle actually hit Pargo.

Can anybody confirm? on the bounce? on the roll?

Bing
02-26-2009, 09:32 PM
Santa Clara has always looked upon Gonzaga with disdain. Their Administration, their Alumni and their students.

That this happened to them is poetic justice.

MedZag
02-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Santa Clara has always looked upon Gonzaga with disdain. Their Administration, their Alumni and their students.

While I truly feel bad for the Broncos players leaving it all on the floor, yes, I was grinning like a little schoolboy when they got T'd up that second time. :D

thibaulm
02-26-2009, 09:35 PM
i feel bad for the SCU players who battled our guys hard tonight and had it go on a 9-0 run at the end because of an idiot not involved with the basketball team

bouldin was the man tonight 13-15 from the line, that was the key in my mind

Baldwinzag
02-26-2009, 09:36 PM
I'd expect this behavior at a state school, a little more surprised it would happen at a private school.

I'm shocked it'd happen at either institution. For the record, many "state" schools have just as rigid, if not more rigid admission requirements than most private schools do. Anyway, I'm not sure private vs public plays a role, yet its more an issue of sportsmanship and etiquette. I was giving props to the Ruff Riders stating they were the 2nd best student section in the WCC, but they proved me wrong tonight. I'm proud to say during my four years at GU I never once saw anyone throw something on the court during a bball game.

joekelly00
02-26-2009, 09:40 PM
Even if the admin doesnt figure out who threw those items, the student body will figure it out, and work out their own brand of justice. I definitely feel bad for santa clara, thats no way to go down. Also, Heytvelt is awesome.

That is all.

roxdoc
02-26-2009, 09:40 PM
During the game Hudson said he thought it hit Pargo in the head, but later said it must have hit him in the hand because they were really looking at it during a timeout.

Crusader Rick
02-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Why would you expect that from a state school and not a private school??? Drunk idiot kids are drunk idiot kids, no matter how much money their daddies make.

MDABE80
02-26-2009, 09:50 PM
i feel bad for the SCU players who battled our guys hard tonight and had it go on a 9-0 run at the end because of an idiot not involved with the basketball team

bouldin was the man tonight 13-15 from the line, that was the key in my mind

HOPE YOU GUYS DON"T THINK THE VICTORY IS "TAINTED". Somebody sank those shots for the points. It wasn't a "gimme". remember too that the time spent on the line was also the time away from the time spent putting in 3's.. Just in case you might hallucinate a "giveaway" by the students, please think.

theirishzag03
02-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Believe the officials were only going to give a warning on the first offense until they reviewed the tape. In most situations they do give a warning, tell the coach to warn that the next will result in a technical foul. However it is discretionary and upon further review I believe they saw the bottle hit JP and deemed it dangerous enough to warrant the call. The second I believe is mandatory. What a disrespectful idiot!

BUT, I really don't think the T's cost them the game! I think OUR missed FT's made it closer than it should have been. AND the reason the fans did throw things was the momentum was definitely swinging the Zags way.

NO TAINT!:D

thibaulm
02-26-2009, 09:54 PM
HOPE YOU GUYS DON"T THINK THE VICTORY IS "TAINTED". Somebody sank those shots for the points. It wasn't a "gimme". remember too that the time spent on the line was also the time away from the time spent putting in 3's.. Just in case you might hallucinate a "giveaway" by the students, please think.

im just saying its what the zags needed to pull away... i believe that the broncos would not have had to foul as early if not for the 5.. and then 4 point plays from the T's

zagirl2k
02-26-2009, 09:59 PM
While I truly feel bad for the Broncos players leaving it all on the floor, yes, I was grinning like a little schoolboy when they got T'd up that second time. :D

I agree, I've attended enough games there with their obnoxious students that I have no problem accepting those free throws for the Ts. By far my least favorite student section of the 3 Bay Area schools.

zagfan16
02-26-2009, 10:03 PM
This win is not tainted in anyway...

I always look at instances like this as if there is no alternative outcome. There is no way that anyone can say what would have happened if the objects weren't thrown on the floor. For instance IF Josh missed his freethrow the zags got an offensive board and kicked it out for three, then it is still a 5 point trip. There are a large number of potential happenings in a few seconds of a basketball game. All can swing the direction of the game in a variety of ways.

krozman
02-26-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm sure the idiot who threw the bottle/foil will be strung up tonight, given the fact that SCU wouldn't have had to foul until the very end if those T's were not called.

Baldwinzag
02-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Stay classy, Santa Clara.

2011Zag
02-26-2009, 10:16 PM
For the students to throw something the first time is bad, but then to throw something again after seeing the consequences just blows my mind. I can't see something like that ever happing in the KC.

I got a call from a buddy that goes to SCU and I guess the students found out who threw the tin foil ball and all the students were chanting his name on their way out. Wouldn't want to be that kid right now.

Zag 77
02-26-2009, 10:19 PM
I am embarassed that this would happen at a Jesuit school, and I have to think their administration and alums must be mortified it happened on TV. I know alums from that school and I feel sorry for them that their school is looking like a bunch of inebriated morons from a hillbilly cow college in the boonies.

RenoZag
02-26-2009, 10:26 PM
I know one guy who went to SCU. He was Student Body President and I was Student Body VP our senior year of HS. . .and you can bet he'll be getting a load o' crap from me tomorrow morning. . .LOL

Poor bast---d works in the securities business too. . .

ToreroStudent
02-26-2009, 10:40 PM
I hope we don't repeat their actions. I think we learned from last year so it shouldn't be a problem, but you never know. Drunk kids are drunk kids, and if I know USD, there will be a lot of drunk kids. Probably 85% will be drunk.

MDABE80
02-26-2009, 11:42 PM
im just saying its what the zags needed to pull away... i believe that the broncos would not have had to foul as early if not for the 5.. and then 4 point plays from the T's

The Zags didn't NEED anything to beat this bunch.......you seem to still hang onto the notion that some fools in the SC student Section lost the game for them. Not true. Zags were in command and had their momentum interrupted by those students. Bronco's had to foul to win a game.period. Nothing supports that contention..except a vivd imagination. Doesn't count.

Go review the box score.

JAGzag
02-27-2009, 02:21 AM
I hope we don't repeat their actions. I think we learned from last year so it shouldn't be a problem, but you never know. Drunk kids are drunk kids, and if I know USD, there will be a lot of drunk kids. Probably 85% will be drunk.

Wow! 85%, really? That sounds like a challenge to me, Kennel Club! :D (j/k)

Birddog
02-27-2009, 03:50 AM
Way back in '66 I believe (maybe '65), a Gonzaga student tossed a beer bottle (or can, but I believe it was a bottle) onto the ice of the old Coliseum during a Zag hockey game. IIRC, he escaped punishment that night, but the name of the perp leaked out quickly. The guys writing the comic strip for The Bulletin immortalized him the following week by establishing the "Joe aWard" for stupid acts. That same perp has had the karma return lately in Spokaloo. The new bad karma is pretty tragic though, as it affected the lives of many innocents.

RenoZag
02-27-2009, 04:47 AM
A SCU fan weighs in on the idiots' (http://scufanscom.yuku.com/sreply/5362/t/I-lost-a-lot-of-respect-for-SCU-tonight-.html)

We are Santa Clarans...supposedly the top academic school in the conference. Yet we still couldn't manage to accomplish one simple task- letting the players take care of their business on the floor, without fan interruption. Not to mentioned we couldn't even follow explicit directions from our own Head Coach...Kerry Keating, who made it clear to not throw any objects onto the floor again.

What a slap in the face.

Honestly, I have never been so disappointed to be a Bronco. When I think back to my four years at Santa Clara, and think about all of the stupid things I did as a student...none of them ever involved ruining an athletes spotlight.

McZag
02-27-2009, 05:01 AM

The "F Gonzaga" chant solidifies it. Well put

:clap: :clap:

McZag
02-27-2009, 05:03 AM
There is no trash throwing....There's no trash throwing in the WCC!?

SCU is classless.

bigblahla
02-27-2009, 05:19 AM
There is no trash throwing....There's no trash throwing in the WCC!?SCU is classless.

With all the pushing and shoving and bodies hitting the floor they must have thought they were watching the WWE.

Go!! Zags!!!

zagster318
02-27-2009, 06:28 AM
A SCU fan weighs in on the idiots' (http://scufanscom.yuku.com/sreply/5362/t/I-lost-a-lot-of-respect-for-SCU-tonight-.html)

For the record, Santa Clara is not the top academic school in the WCC. In terms of admissions standards, rankings and reputation, the top WCC school is Pepperdine.

bballbeachbum
02-27-2009, 06:33 AM
Let's hope we never see that behavior in the Kennel.

always tell my kids that if one of their sibs is getting what for, learn the lesson without having to get what for, too.

during the game I had the volume all the way down, and until I turned it back up to hear what was going on, I would have guessed a 100 things and never come up with some idiot throwing a bottle onto the floor. Just glad no one was injured.

GUZagDenver
02-27-2009, 06:35 AM

Then it looks like basketball is not the only thing Gonzaga is better at. GU has at least 95% drunk for all home games. Sorry, I had to say it.

ToreroStudent
02-27-2009, 07:00 AM
Then it looks like basketball is not the only thing Gonzaga is better at. GU has at least 95% drunk for all home games. Sorry, I had to say it.

Damn! We have to up our game over here! :)

And yes, Pepperdine is the top academic school in the WCC.

malmer7
02-27-2009, 07:06 AM
i was at the game last night and saw both kids throw the different objects on the floor, and believe me when i say that the student body knows who threw them as well and they were not happy. i wouldn't doubt if those two idiots are hurting this morning (either from a hangover or beatdown).
some people mentioned that an object hit pargo but from my very good vantage point i don't think the bottle got anyone (just slid across the floor) and the foil can't really do anything.
i was really embarrassed for the home crowd last night - but loved walking out and hearing a mother talk to her two year girl letting her know that if she EVER through anything on a basketball court in her lifetime, she'd be there to spank her!
the win is not tainted or anything, but you certainly don't know how the game would have ended if those two instances hadn't transpired.
i totally give props to the SCU coach for not only getting on the fans but really coaching a good game and showing some incredible emotion.

gamagin
02-27-2009, 07:14 AM
Wow! 85%, really? That sounds like a challenge to me, Kennel Club! :D (j/k)

win-win

johno
02-27-2009, 07:35 AM
I hate to see anything but the players have a say in the outcome of the game so I've been thinking about an alternative to T-Foul shots. Perhaps a warning and then if there is a second incident, suspend play and clear the arena (or the offending section). I know that's harsh but at least the players ultimately decide the outcome. Any other ideas?

And I'm not saying the ZAGs only won because of the Ts....

gamagin
02-27-2009, 07:59 AM
I hate to see anything but the players have a say in the outcome of the game so I've been thinking about an alternative to T-Foul shots. Perhaps a warning and then if there is a second incident, suspend play and clear the arena (or the offending section). I know that's harsh but at least the players ultimately decide the outcome. Any other ideas?

And I'm not saying the ZAGs only won because of the Ts....

warning and clearing = encouraging to those already inclined to be that stupid, imo.

OTOH, if the perp is frog walked across the floor immediately after the incident, and roundly booed, & banned from all SCU sports events forever, then perhaps it would have a chilling effect.

Das Zagger
02-27-2009, 08:35 AM
I'm surprised Keating didn't make the ushers clear out the student section after the second T, it would have been entertaining.

The refs did the right thing in both cases.

Spike94
02-27-2009, 08:40 AM
I was at the game last night, and I may be wrong here, but I don't think that SCU got T'd up the first time for the actual item. It looked like from my vantage point that SCU got T'd up for Keating getting on the PA system. I say this because the ref went over to Keating and pointed to the mic and looked like he was saying I have to give you a T for that and then gave the T. Again I could be wrong. As far throwing stuff, it is obvious that it should NEVER happen. But, it does. And I am guessing those few idiots will get what is coming to it. However, as some posters have called SCU classless, come on. I had a great time last night. And the student section did a great job (other than the aformentioned throwing of things). SCU played really well and they should be very proud of themselves.

jim77
02-27-2009, 09:16 AM
What happens if they find out later it was a visiting Zags fan????? LOL!

gu03alum
02-27-2009, 09:17 AM
It was just a bunch of rich spoiled kids throwing a tantrum because they didn't get their way.

EngineerZag
02-27-2009, 10:02 AM
In the past when I've seen this situation before, there's a warning the first time and a T the second time. I think the reason the refs called a T the first time was because of the nature of the throw. It was directly aimed at Pargo and it hit him too. It was thrown very high in the air with a clear intent to hurt someone.

What really boggles my mind is how someone could be so stupid as to do it a second time, after the officials had already given out one T. That's just amazing.

And no, the Zags didn't win because of the T's. We were stepping up our game down the stretch (except for those darn FTs) and were on a path to victory. SCU still could have pulled it out, and the T's did put it out of reach for them, but to say that the T's gave the Zags the game is not accurate.

ZagSlug
02-27-2009, 10:02 AM
The T was called before Keating got on the PA. I wonder if there was a warning that we don't know about

johno
02-27-2009, 11:39 AM
"Funny but an actual question that could come up. How does this work on a neutral court?"

And what's to keep a fan for the visiting team dressing in the home team's gear and throwing something that results in a technical foul called on the home team?

lothar98zag
02-27-2009, 11:42 AM
What happens if they find out later it was a visiting Zags fan????? LOL!
I've always wondered about that. Not to personally do @ a Zag road game, but just in general. How can the refs be sure it was the home team's fans...

Zageist
02-27-2009, 01:59 PM
A college student did something stupid? That is shocking. I don't see any reason anybody should get bent out of shape over it. It doesn't reflect on anybody else's class or basketball knowledge. It's not like event staff were handing out bottles to throw as folks went in. Some immature punk just did something stupid. Besides, reading how embarrassed all these supposed Santa Clara alumni are seems like overkill - and pathetic.

But thanks anyway!

hoopster777
02-27-2009, 05:28 PM
they should just beef up the security around the student section after the warning occurs, then once someone see's a second item thrown, they toss the guy out......by walking him across the court so everyone can taunt the idiot's actions. what a disgusting act...

UberZagFan
02-27-2009, 07:17 PM
GU wins with or without the Ts. And to suggest that private vs. public makes a difference is just ignorant of college bb and college students in general. Those antics happen all the time all over the country at any type of school.

westsiiide1234
02-27-2009, 07:39 PM
I found this in an SCU group:

"Yea the whole school is really pissed off. The soda was a gonzaga fan who got into our section wearing our t-shirt. After he threw it he walked around pulling up his shirt to show a gonzaga jersey. And the foil was an ass hole kid. He was really drunk. You prolly saw him on Tv he was wearing a pink cowboy hat. When he went back to his dorm he called campus security and they have his building/room guarded from people trying to get him."

If this is true I am offically disgusted and disappointed....

Ezag
02-27-2009, 07:43 PM
I don't believe this for one second

RenoZag
02-27-2009, 07:48 PM
The culprits no doubt met at a grassy knoll en route to hatch their conspiracy. . .let's get Geraldo and Nancy Grace to investigate, sell the film rights to Oliver Stone, launch a viral marketing campaign and hire Billy Mays to do the infomercial. . .

http://blog.lunarpages.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/billy_mays.jpg

El Voce
02-27-2009, 07:58 PM
If my count is correct, I believe that this is our 13th tainted win in WCC play this season.:D