PDA

View Full Version : Best Team Effort of the Season?

Crusader Rick
02-26-2009, 09:08 PM
I think so. I'm sure this was Santa Clara's best effort of the season. They threw absolutely everything (including debris) at the Zags, but the boys toughed it out. Other than the free throw shooting at the end, I think they showed some real toughness and a great team effort.

Josh was huge!

MotoZag
02-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Why would we discuss SCU's team effort? Unless that was a typo. Being a Zags fan, I haven't followed SCU's team progression at ALL this year. They gave us a scare, but couldn't close it out.

MedZag
02-26-2009, 09:17 PM
SCU played very scrappy and did a great job of capitalizing off our mental lapses.

We played lights out the first ~7 minutes of the game then we went 4 or 5 possessions playing one-on-one ball, and the rest of the night was somewhat of a mixed bag.

I will say OVERALL our team played very poised except for momentary lapses. But we never really had any "runs" of ugly play per se.

Crusader Rick
02-26-2009, 09:20 PM
I meant to say that I think this was the Zags toughest and perhaps best effort of the season. The way the Broncos played, this could have easily been a loss. I think the Zags played real tough and smart tonight, and it was a huge team effort. Yes, SC probably put their best effort forward as well.

HOOTER
02-26-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm sure this was Santa Clara's best effort of the season.

Santa Clara has nothing to be ashamed of (except unbelievably stupid fans) but the real story is Gonzaga's toughness and teamwork. They took the best effort Santa Clara could muster and emerged victorious. Nice job Zags!

Reborn
02-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Santa Clara plays very very well at home, and they have a very good team. I think I heard the announcers say they lost 14 games by 4 points or less. I know they had St. Mary's at St Mary's and a desperation shot by Mills beat them at the buzzer. I know they did beat ST. Mary's at home. I wouldn't say this was our best effort as a team, but they did get the job done. It was definately Josh's best game, and when Pargo doesn't have an assist you have to say it was one of his best games. It was NOT Austin's best game, and he didn't play very well actually. And I thought Gray was not good at all. His defense was killing us down the stretch and I was surprised Few left him in. That Freshman was killing him and I'm not talking about Foster. I thought the Zags did a good job on Foster on D, and overall their Defense was pretty good. I thought we did a good job on Bryant. Oh. And it wasn't Downs best game either.

BUT WE GOT THE WIN, AND PLAYED WELL ENOUGH. JOSH WAS JUST IN A ZONE TONIGHT. And I think that's what we need. We've needed someone to step up and be a star. I also was really impressed with Matt and Pargo too. Matt had a great game.

thibaulm
02-26-2009, 09:46 PM
And it wasn't Downs best game either..

i was not at all impressed by Micah tonight, looked like he was dazed out there and the only time i saw him drive, he got stripped and they had a 3 on 1 going the other way

MDABE80
02-26-2009, 09:55 PM
If Josh would have played like he did tonight for the whole season, he'd be 1 st team AA. Looks like he's just hitting his stride. The old Josh from Autumn/early Winter of 2006 has come back.

Zag79
02-26-2009, 11:48 PM
people forget how much hoop josh has missed over the last couple seasons, so when you say hes hitting his stride i think your right on. even jeremy is back to his old form, mucho assists and little TOs. the seniors are stepping up in time to close out an amazing season that many cried about for most of it. to most of you, keep rooting its what we do. to the wagon riders, jump back on its going to be a fun march but please keep your mouths shut before the fellas make you look dumb again with there play. ;)

Birddog
02-27-2009, 04:02 AM
The scoring wasn't as balanced as you might think if you listened to the announcers but I thought "team effort" was pretty good, except for some egregious lapses on defending the three. Micah's offensive game was not great, but he was pretty good on defense, he justified his minutes.
Box Score http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=290572541

McZag
02-27-2009, 06:01 AM
These are the wins we can be most proud of. Gutsy, hard fought brawls. We could have callapsed mentally at several points but never caved. This was a Zag Style win.

I've spent a fair amount of time complaining about the toughness of this team this year but they showed me something tonight. Josh maned up to Bryant and put his rear on the pine for more time than SCU needed. Huge difference maker!

Very proud of this team today!

bballbeachbum
02-27-2009, 07:14 AM
We could have callapsed mentally at several points but never caved. This was a Zag Style win.

Very proud of this team today!

That's what I saw, too, how I feel today.

Good play from us down the stretch, even with the charity stripe misses; Matt and Micah did step up and hit them after first missing them, so that response from them was encouraging.

Team effort victory, and had to be! vs. an opponent who clearly can't stand us. Sweet.

malmer7
02-27-2009, 07:18 AM
i would definitely agree with that statement. everyone pitched in, even if it didn't show up in the stats. meech was an absolute spark plug last night and it was great to see pargo, bouldin, daye and josh all crashing the boards and even poking the ball away if they were unsuccessful on their first efforts.
unexpectedly in my mind, the only two guys that went somewhat invisible were steven and micah - usually one of these guys contributes big, but i thought they both had off games. it looked to me like gray has lost a little confidence so i sure hope he can get that back soon. micah looked like he was just getting D'd up pretty hard. great overall effort from the team