PDA

View Full Version : Season ticket prices

Bulldog
03-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Does anyone have any scoop as to why GU is planning on raising the season ticket prices or anything about it?:mad:

BobZag
03-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Does anyone have any scoop as to why GU is planning on raising the season ticket prices or anything about it?:mad:

Inflation. Did you expect prices to go down? :) But prices will remain the same next year and the year after. Prices will increase for 2009-2010.

Bulldog
03-21-2007, 06:45 PM
I thought maybe they were trying to weed out us riff-raff that have loved & watched the Zag's faithfully for years so they could let the big shots with all the money jump on the bandwagon now that it's impossible to get a ticket. Take the coug's for example, a couple years ago they were paying the students 5 bucks to go to the BB games just to get rid of the echo in their stadium and now you can't get a tic.

jbslicer
03-21-2007, 07:33 PM
Because they can.

mendiant
03-21-2007, 08:00 PM
I don't think it is malicious at all.

Simpy a reality of the Zag market.

If it gets too bad, I'll just sell a couple of games on ebay to make up for it.

I hope it doesn't come to that though.

Bulldog
03-21-2007, 08:03 PM
Lets see what happens should we hit a very low spot down the road. Perhaps only we faithful shall remain.
The imperialists may find other ways to spend their money and time.
Hope it never happens in my lifetime, but it could.
If it doesn't, then they will get my seat by pulling it from my cold dead hands. Long live the faithful who truly care about the program.

BoltZag
03-21-2007, 09:05 PM
I thought maybe they were trying to weed out us riff-raff that have loved & watched the Zag's faithfully for years so they could let the big shots with all the money jump on the bandwagon now that it's impossible to get a ticket. Long live the faithful who truly care about the program.

I don't mean to start a quarrel here (well, maybe I do), but...

This seems to imply that people with money aren't faithful Zag fans. In fact, the premise of your post seems to be that the only true Zag fans are those unappreciated, poor, and insignificant folks.

I find this a little strange since the "big shots" are in those seats because of the gifts they've generously made to Gonzaga. That alone tells me they care...but apparently Gonzaga is selling its soul by letting them through the door.

All that said, you can't possibly be surprised that ticket prices are going up.

Bulldog
03-22-2007, 07:49 AM
I was referring to all the big companies that buy rows of seats to give away as an advertising tool. Those seats that are empty several games because someone didn't buy a car or something that week. I know you will just say thats part of business, so there is no point in non arguing with you.

brasszag
03-22-2007, 07:57 AM
Every GU alumnus should get a lifetime season ticket with their Diploma.

How else can we keep out the corporate riff-raff?

TR11Zag
03-22-2007, 08:23 AM
I was referring to all the big companies that buy rows of seats to give away as an advertising tool. Those seats that are empty several games because someone didn't buy a car or something that week. I know you will just say thats part of business, so there is no point in non arguing with you.

You might want to remember that things need balance. Although the corporate tickets do not always bring the roudy excited fans, the corporate sponsor's and their tickets pay a lot of our program and are partially responsible for its success. They are vital for a big time program.

I do not believe that we have reached the point where Gonzaga is "selling its soul".

However, I wish I could get tickets. :mecry:

sonuvazag
03-22-2007, 08:38 AM
I do not believe that we have reached the point where Gonzaga is "selling its soul".

Very true. My dad thought renaming Kennedy Pavillion was tasteless and vowed never to donate to the school again. In retrospect, I would say it seems better to accept donations with gratitude and use them as best as possible.

Everything takes money. Sometimes the only way someone they can show they care is to give money to something meaningful. Go Gee.

thickman1
03-22-2007, 08:40 AM
so what are the price of the tickets now?

sullyzag66
03-22-2007, 09:12 AM
If you have to ask, you can't afford them. . .:D

mdZag23
03-22-2007, 10:57 AM
I doubt that you are going to see the actual price of the game tickets rise that much. Most game tickets throughout College BB are in the $20-30 per seat.

What you are going to see go up and probably go up considerably is the cost of the Seat Licenses and Bulldog Club donation levels required to retain your current seats. This is just a reality of the times that we live and something the athletic program needs to do to continue the long term success of this program. Every single expense, from recruiting to game day productions, related to the Gonzaga program has jumped considerably with the success of the program. The only way to offset that expense is thru more REVENUE. This is a business and they must run it like one.

Furthermore, there are a ton of people and corporations that are willing to shell out money to have access to that caliber of basketball and entertainment product.

I'm a current holder of 2 season tickets that lives in Seattle. Biggest mistake I made was not getting 4 seats and now I'm stuck in a 10 year waitlist trying to get 2 more.

jbslicer
03-22-2007, 11:09 AM
It costs me $800 for 2 Zag seats. I'm five rows from the top behind the GU bench. Good seats and no complaints about the cost.

Zag79
03-22-2007, 01:17 PM
we have 6 season tix, and its well worth it even if it costs a little more. BUT,

I was referring to all the big companies that buy rows of seats to give away as an advertising tool. Those seats that are empty several games because someone didn't buy a car or something that week.
is spot on and i hatee seeing empty seats due to giveaway tix and the free beer at half.

jbslicer
03-22-2007, 02:30 PM
The free beer people are annoying. B-ball could use "wait-for-the-whistle" like hockey does.

mendiant
03-22-2007, 07:29 PM
At the banquet, there were two full corporate sponsored tables that remain TOTALLY EMPTY through out the evening.

But it is better to have the corporate sponserd seats rather than have to settle for a name like "The Jenny Craig Pavillion"...

...think about it.

Fonebone
03-22-2007, 11:39 PM
The school is having two focus groups to talk about ticket prices. An e-mail was sent to some ticket holders - mine said:

Dear Silver Seat Holder,

As a follow up to the recent Menís Basketball Season Ticket Survey, the GU Athletic Department is seeking participants for focus group sessions that will help in establishing future season ticket costs. All sessions will be conducted on the Gonzaga campus in the McCarthey Athletic Center.

Listed below are two time slots in which we are currently searching for volunteers from Silver season ticket holders. If you are interested in participating in a focus group, please choose one session from the list below and reply to this e-mail with your selected date and time. There are a limited number of openings for each session. An e-mail will be sent to you to confirm your participation.

Thank you for your consideration.

So, the school is getting input from ticket holders, not just making decisions in a vacume. I think that is great.

Also, remember that after the 5th year, the last year of the committment to the building fund, the building fund portion drops off. If I remember correctly, for the Silver section the building fund part is 50% of the cost. So, if nothing else happened the tickets would drop by 50%. I'm guessing that they want to pick up part of that drop, but perhaps not all of it, in a price increase at that time. That is pure specualtion on my part. For less expensive tickets I think that the building fund component was not as high as a percentage, ie not 50%, but I am not sure of that.

Bulldog
03-23-2007, 05:46 PM
I have certainly given my share of cash to the U, but my main complaint all along was limiting big companies and the limiting of companies with a max of 4seats, so we could get some people off the waiting list.

I would also knock out the big suites except for one that could be reserved for a sizeable contribution. We could squeeze a bunch more seats on that end.

In fact I think their is space outside for a new athletic center that would be large enough to hold 10 or 12,000 people instead of just 6,000. This one is already 3 years old and if we really want to go big time, lets let the people in and create a whole pile of moolah. All the schools that win national championships have arena's that will accomodate all.
And they have those cool big monitors hanging above midcourt, but they can't beat the food, we have great concessions. Suddenly I'm getting hungry.............

BoltZag
03-23-2007, 09:35 PM
All the schools that win national championships have arena's that will accomodate all.

Uhhh...yeah, which is why Cameron Indoor seats just over 8,000 and students wait for 5-7 days for tickets to big time games. Yes, indeed...every team with an NCAA championship has an arena that seats everyone who wants to attend.

Oh, and tickets are only $1 for anyone who wants to attend at any of the aforementioned schools.

thickman1
03-23-2007, 09:47 PM
If you have to ask, you can't afford them. . .:D

I think it's a reasonable question - I don't live in the area and it's hard to find out that ticket info stuff. Cost wouldn't be an issue - thanks to those who "ballparked it" for me.

sullyzag66
03-23-2007, 10:10 PM
If you have to ask, you can't afford them. . . :D

I think it's a reasonable question - I don't live in the area and it's hard to find out that ticket info stuff. Cost wouldn't be an issue - thanks to those who "ballparked it" for me.
Lame joke, apparently. Not meant to offend.

Bulldog
03-24-2007, 11:34 AM
Jeez Bolt, lighten up a little and enjoy the weekend.:confused: