PDA

View Full Version : My Recruiting Wish List For '08 & '09

BobZag
03-21-2007, 04:32 PM
Firstly, always expect the unexpected when it comes to Gonzaga recruiting. Nobody saw Austin Daye favoring GU until fairly late, and Jucos like Ira Brown and JP Batista came out of the blue, along with unexpected transfers like Erroll or Micah. And nobody saw Ronny until Andy Katz reported it, so with all the above in mind, the following is my current Zags recruit wish list (subject to change) --

2008:
6'11" C Andy Poling *
6'1" PG Jordon Theodore
6'4" CG Brad Tinsley

2009:
6'9" PF Brock Osweiler *
6'2" SG Avery Bradley
6'3" CG Abdul Gaddy
6'9" PF Jordan Morgan

* Already committed

Obviously there are positions not addressed above, ie, a tall athletic wing. And there are other recruits that are very good, that I'd be thrilled to get, but with what I know now, the above is my "most wanted." I'd limit taking any transfers that are not elite or next-to-elite, unless they simply were not good fits.

Say, for example, 6'9" UCLA PF Ryan Wright decided to transfer, what with super stud Kevin Love coming in next season, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

4EVERaZAG
03-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Here is a link to the top preps in Washington including Bradley and Gaddy class of 2009. http://www.northwesthoops.com/washington_2009.htm
BZ I was wondering if we still have any interest in Anthony Brown from Shadle Park?

madness
03-21-2007, 07:31 PM
How about Casto for an athletic wing?

spudzag
03-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Love the list BZ. Was surprised to see 2 guards each year. Intersting

Wolkster
03-21-2007, 09:01 PM
>Was surprised to see 2 guards each year. Intersting

Why? PMac will be gone after next year and Pargo will be a junior next year. That leaves only Bouldin. The guard position is looking mighty thin and if something happens to one of those three (knock on wood), GU could be in trouble.

Plus, with Poling and Osweiler already committed and Davis, Sacre and Daye being freshmen next year, GU seems to be pretty stocked with big men.

'Guard U' has to go and get some.

Unbiased
03-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Bob, I concur on these two young men. I have seen them play - They are only in the tenth grade playing in a tough conference! They are both legitimate 6'2" and still growing. Both are going to be excellent Division I basketball players. As an added bonus, according to "sources" both are fairly mature, responsible, with a good intellect.

If I was Mark Few, I would give them both offers now. I know that Romar has seen at least one of their games.

CDC84
03-21-2007, 09:46 PM
Bradley and Gaddy are at Bellarmine Prep in Tacoma. Bellarmine has been very good to Gonzaga over the years.

I believe Bradley made 2nd team all state in one of the newspapers.....

Madcowz
03-21-2007, 09:49 PM
just wondering, who has gonzaga gotten from bellarmine?

spudzag
03-21-2007, 09:54 PM
Casey for one.

229SintoZag
03-21-2007, 10:17 PM
Bellarmine gave Gonzaga 229Sinto as well.

Bellarmine alums who have played hoop are the McPhees and Calvary. And John Miller who played in the early 1970s (class of 1971?). Ed Ploof and Chris Frank Burgess's daughter was a classmate of my sister at Bellarmine. There was also a guard who played about a minute or two circa 2000-2002 whose name escapes me--he came as a freshman and was here for only one season or maybe one semester.

Former GU baseball player Shea Fleck was also a Bellarmine boy.

YetiHater
03-21-2007, 10:54 PM
There was also a guard who played about a minute or two circa 2000-2002 whose name escapes me--he came as a freshman and was here for only one season or maybe one semester.

Kenny Williams

http://gozags.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/williams_kenny00.html

JAGzag
03-22-2007, 03:19 AM
Say, for example, 6'9" UCLA PF Ryan Wright decided to transfer, what with super stud Kevin Love coming in next season, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Bob, I always love these posts; they always make me wonder :) I always wonder whether this is insider knowledge Bob, speculation Bob or just wishful Bob ... like the rest of us -- any inside info that Wright is considering jumping and if so, would his Canada ties give GU any inside track??

arnoldtpants
03-22-2007, 05:27 AM
Kenny walked on for one or two years and then retired. He graduated in four years and is doing fine, living in Tacoma or Portland I think.

D Hark 2003
03-22-2007, 07:48 AM
Kenny Lives in Tacoma, I just played in the Bellarmine Alumni basketball tourney with him, and hes still a baller, he walked on his freshman year and sophomore year at GU, and retired halfway through the sophomore season. If GU had a football team Kenny would have been the starting corner, he could have played D1 football if he wanted but basketball was his favorite sport.

I have seen Gaddy and Bradley in person a couple times this past year. Romar and Bill Grier were at one of the games, and an assistant from Pepperdine was at the other game. They are both great players and I would love to see them both in zags uniforms. Bradley (right now) is a little more muscular and athletic than Gaddy, but i think Gaddy is a better three point shooter. They can both dunk the basketball and they can play great defense as well. If only they had a guy that could play the post on their team they would win state. Anyways these sophomores by the time they are seniors will be awesome and would be great guards at GU.

Where would the program be without Casey Calvary? That tip in against Florida has to be the bigggest play in GU basketball history.

Kiddwell
03-22-2007, 09:20 AM
I'm trying to figure out which of the above BZ was "singing" about the other day.:)

:]

btzag
03-22-2007, 07:02 PM
I agree with Wolkster, we need guards and soon, especially at the point. Anyone who has seen those two Bellarmine guards know if they are D1 point guard prospects? What happens if Theodore doesn't pan out? What if Pargo blows up next year and wants to go pro? Lots of questions but I'm confident the staff will answer them, just don't know how..... Amazing class coming in but wish we would have signed a PG this year.

LynetteG
03-22-2007, 11:29 PM
2009:
6'9" PF Brock Osweiler *
6'2" SG Avery Bradley
6'3" CG Abdul Gaddy
6'9" PF Jordan Morgan

* Already committed

me likey! :) btw, check your email

tyra
03-23-2007, 06:56 AM
Where you been? You were missed! Got any info on how Jordan finished this season this year?

Lawdog9902
03-23-2007, 09:27 AM
Arnoldtpants and D Hark 2003, where's the IrishBulldog on this thread? Then you'd have the whole family. Mike Miller and Patrick Names were also Bellarmine Alum's that were walk ons, both left porgram after their freshman years do to injury and had sucessful careers at smaller schools. And don't forget to mention the many great Bellarmine Alumni who excelled in the intermurual leagues.

LynetteG
03-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Where you been? You were missed! Got any info on how Jordan finished this season this year?

he's doing great, working hard, getting ready to play AAU ball. Don't know which teams he's going to join. Hope he joins one that goes to the Super 64 in Vegas in July.

BobZag
03-23-2007, 10:35 AM
2010 Wish List--

6'8" Josh Smith of Kentwood

No, I'm not that high on Casto.

Madcowz
03-23-2007, 11:54 AM
2010 Wish List--

6'8" Josh Smith of Kentwood

No, I'm not that high on Casto.

well casto won the matchup when they faced eachother

wazZag
03-23-2007, 12:11 PM
Casto is '08, Smith is '10, right?

Argentum
03-23-2007, 02:18 PM
Smith is a load and more of a true center type. If he can shed some baby fat and keep working on his fitness in the next couple years he will be even more of a force than he is now. I think he's supposed to keep growing so by the time he graduates he's probably going to be pushing 6'10 or more. Romar and co. have been aware of him for a few years from what I've heard.

BobZag
03-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Casto is '08, Smith is '10, right?

Ten-four, good buddy. :)

Bocco
03-23-2007, 02:33 PM
2009:
6'9" PF Brock Osweiler *
6'2" SG Avery Bradley
6'3" CG Abdul Gaddy
6'9" PF Jordan Morgan

* Already committed

If we were able to land all four of BZs wish list for 2009 it would be a great recruiting year. So far we are 25% of the way in having BZ's wishes come true.

I know that Jordan and Brock have attended Zag summer camps. Bellarmine often has their team come over in the summer so I assume that Abdul and Avery have been here in the summer, and will probably be here this summer also.

BobZag
03-23-2007, 02:38 PM
If we were able to land all four of BZs wish list for 2009 it would be a great recruiting year. So far we are 25% of the way in having BZ's wishes come true.

I know that Jordan and Brock have attended Zag summer camps. Bellarmine often has their team come over in the summer so I assume that Abdul and Avery have been here in the summer, and will probably be here this summer also.

Correct. Oregon City and Tinsley attend camp, too. I look forward to watching Abdul and Avery, along with Tinsley and Osweiler.

spudzag
03-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Maybe I've been asleep at the keyboard but I just noticed that Tinsley now shows up on Scout's prospect list. His stock appears to be rising on Rivals. Hope he makes it to the GU camp this summer. Any chance Jordan Theodore might visit? Maybe for the camp? Would be a great time to close the deal on the '08 class!