PDA

View Full Version : Fond SCU Memories

malmer7
02-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Now that game day has arrived and tonight I get to see the last of 3 zags games I see every year (USF, SMC & SCU), I can't help but reminisce about last year's thrilling game.
Walking in to the arena, right in front of the rough riders section, with my red Ammo jersey and my wife with her blue one, I've never been razzed so hard from opposing fans. I just waved and kept walking. They were riding our zag section SO hard ALL night long as they sought sure victory...
Then, the craziest play I've ever seen (live anyway) transpired when their little midget fouled Gray when falling out of bounds with just about no time on the clock. You can probably understand the satisfaction I felt as the entire home crowd's faces went white in an instance. What a phenomenal game, what a finish, and what a good sport I was as I walked out of the arena holding up my Gonzaga seat cushions with one hand and pointing to "Gonzaga" written on my chest with the other - you had better believe there will be some fellas with an eye out for me tonight!
I have to say that was probably the second greatest sporting event I've ever seen live, right behind the Zags vs. WSU game several years ago at WSU when Marcus Moore hit a 3/4 court buzzer beater to send the game into OT but the Zags were eventually victorious... just thought I'd throw both of those memories out there and let everyone relish a little... go zags!

BobZag
02-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Represent Gonzaga well again tonight. Good luck!

Angelo Roncalli
02-26-2009, 10:32 AM
It was fun being there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYSRSBui-uo

EngineerZag
02-26-2009, 11:28 AM
I still can't believe that happened. I'm glad we won the game, but you've gotta feel for Brody Angley, a play he'll remember forever - throwing away the Gonzaga game at home as a senior. Awful.

rennis
02-26-2009, 11:42 AM
That win was tainted.

I prefer the absolute thrashing Santangelo and company put on SCU in the 99 WCC championship game. And the ensuing elation and celebration on campus. One of the best nights ever.

siliconzag
02-26-2009, 11:55 AM
That win was tainted.

I prefer the absolute thrashing Santangelo and company put on SCU in the 99 WCC championship game. And the ensuing elation and celebration on campus. One of the best nights ever.

You know, I asked Matt personally when I last saw him, if he knew that they would beat Santa Clara, Minnesota, Stanford, and Florida. He paused, then grinned, as only he can, with a glint in his eye and said, "why yes I did know!" Then he added, "I knew we would beat U Conn too!" If only!

I remember many great games at Leavy. Some not so positive in their outcome. When I lived in Santa Clara we lost two games there. I remember the you suck Dickau cheer. I remember the Ruff Riders saying Spokane sucks. I remember the so called, "Buck Gonzaga" cheer. Those guys down there are rascals. And I love them. Except when they play us. Then I hate them. But not as much as UCLA or the Huskies. They are much more odious.

Santa Clara needs to make a comeback, for everyone's sake. They should never have let DD go.

Sili

bullzag23
02-26-2009, 12:08 PM
I remember the day, a few years back(03-04) when I was just a sophomore at GU. The previous year the WCC tournament had been hosted by San Diego, and for the next 2 years it would be at SCU. A group of friends(about 15-20 of us) decided to caravan all the way down to San Francisco for the week, as we would also do the next year.

Gonzaga's only losses this entire season were to Stanford and St. Joseph's, who eventually became #1 and #2 at some point. The game was GU vs SCU in the semifinals of the WCC tournament, and SCU had been leading the entire game. With about 1 minute left, GU, led by eventual tournament MVP Ronny Turiaf(the one and only), took the lead. Earlier in the second half security at the arena was trying to make way for the SCU student section to storm the court, because a Bronco victory was looking more and more like a sure thing as the minutes ticked down. However, in that final minute I recall a quick lead change or two, and with little time on the clock the score was GU 63-62. SCU quickly sent the ball down the court and bricked the game winning 3, and all hell broke loose. Instead of the SCU students rushing the court in celebration of a victory, the Kennel Club leaped down the bleachers onto the court, still the greatest victory celebration I have ever been a part of. Sure, Gonzaga was ranked all year and barely beat an unranked opponent, and the national media criticized us students for this storming. But let's be honest here. If those same media members had been students at GU, and had witnessed an amazing come from behind victory against our biggest rival(at the time), they would have done the same thing.

By far my favorite GU basketball memory. ;)

siliconzag
02-26-2009, 12:23 PM
I remember the day, a few years back(03-04) when I was just a sophomore at GU. The previous year the WCC tournament had been hosted by San Diego, and for the next 2 years it would be at SCU. A group of friends(about 15-20 of us) decided to caravan all the way down to San Francisco for the week, as we would also do the next year.

Gonzaga's only losses this entire season were to Stanford and St. Joseph's, who eventually became #1 and #2 at some point. The game was GU vs SCU in the semifinals of the WCC tournament, and SCU had been leading the entire game. With about 1 minute left, GU, led by eventual tournament MVP Ronny Turiaf(the one and only), took the lead. Earlier in the second half security at the arena was trying to make way for the SCU student section to storm the court, because a Bronco victory was looking more and more like a sure thing as the minutes ticked down. However, in that final minute I recall a quick lead change or two, and with little time on the clock the score was GU 63-62. SCU quickly sent the ball down the court and bricked the game winning 3, and all hell broke loose. Instead of the SCU students rushing the court in celebration of a victory, the Kennel Club leaped down the bleachers onto the court, still the greatest victory celebration I have ever been a part of. Sure, Gonzaga was ranked all year and barely beat an unranked opponent, and the national media criticized us students for this storming. But let's be honest here. If those same media members had been students at GU, and had witnessed an amazing come from behind victory against our biggest rival(at the time), they would have done the same thing.

ever delighted to see you fellas dancin on their court. I was sitting in front of the big cheese (Father Locatelli) himself. He had his hands folded in prayer as the clock was expiring and before Ronny's tip in. It was one day the Lord listened more to mine than his, and probably the last. Sili

Angelo Roncalli
02-26-2009, 12:28 PM
That game was something.

I'll never forget the girl in the front row of the Ruff Riders. She had on a halter top and white cowboy hat. She stood the whole game giving the finger to the GU section.

Maybe the most memorable moment of the day was Ronny giving his MVP trophy to the president of the Kennel Club. Pretty cool.

malmer7
02-26-2009, 12:47 PM

geeze, thanks for reminding me of that one as well, that ranks right up there too as i made the trip with friends as well (my senior year) and me and my future wife were front row and the first one's to step foot on that court to rush the floor - amazing!

siliconzag
02-26-2009, 12:51 PM
I'll never forget the girl in the front row of the Ruff Riders. She had on a halter top and white cowboy hat. She stood the whole game giving the finger to the GU section.

I told you fellas that they weren't sayin Buck Gonzaga!! ;)

Sili

CDC84
02-26-2009, 01:22 PM
That Brody Angley foul happened right below my feet. Lothar and I could just feel the body heat from the Ruff Riders who were getting ready to storm the floor.

I also was at that 2004 WCC semifinal. I remember it vividly for a number of reasons. First off, I had to watch the game at a time when I had a painful neck injury. I also remember it because that season was the one and only season where I predicted on this board that Gonzaga would sweep the WCC from beginning to end. I saw my life pass before my eyes when Bailey launched that shot at the end. Everything that people have said in this thread about what took place on the floor after the game is totally true. The two student sections were antagonizing each other the whole game. The postgame reaction really had little to do with the reasons why most students storm a floor. I was a bit concerned that some of the players might get hurt. I once went to a Stanford/Cal game where the Cal students stormed the floor and started hitting various Stanford players. There was very little security around. It was kind of scary.

rennis
02-26-2009, 01:48 PM
When one steps back and reads the stories in this thread, it really leaves little doubt as to who our true conference rival is and always has been.

Go Zags!

bullzag23
02-26-2009, 02:41 PM
I forgot to mention that I, as well as several of my friends are pretty sure we sustained minor injuries just getting down to the floor. Many people were pushing, jumping, tripping, etc to get there. It was crazy :D

ZagSlug
02-26-2009, 05:03 PM
I remember the really high bleachers we were stuck in swaying back and forth. The camera shot from above us made people seasick.

http://www.thepelhams.org/zagpics/ronnywcc.jpg

GU69
02-26-2009, 05:29 PM
Slug, the photo makes me miss Ronny.

He knew how to celebrate.

McZag
02-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Very cool! Bring it tonight!

lothar98zag
02-27-2009, 04:17 PM

15 seconds of it taken from my cell phone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi421aWpx3M

Lots of memerable moments in SCU's gym. Last night didn't dissapoint...for GU fans!