PDA

View Full Version : Change the WCC schedule?

NotoriousZ
02-25-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm sure this has been covered in previous years but I would like to suggest we switch to a Thursday-Sunday schedule in WCC play.

It's a long time for us fans to wait after Saturday's game for Thursday to come around. It would also give everyone more time to rest up and prepare for the next game.

Playing a Tuesday-Saturday or Wednesday-Saturday schedule would be better, but the Tuesday and Wednesday slots are pretty filled up on the ESPN network. We could play Sunday afternoon games so the teams would be ready for school on Monday, and the east coast could actually watch some of our games before 9:00 pm (or later).

Pargo the Destroyer
02-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Nothing says rocking college atmosphere like a sunday afternoon game......

NorthWestZag
02-25-2009, 07:09 PM
Wednesday is kind of an "NBA Day" so I like the Thursday-Saturday format. Plus we are not really competing with the Pac-10 for TV time because they are locked into a contract with the devil.

Zag 77
02-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Hey, Saturday night games are a romantic night out with the Mrs.!!!!

Besides, the students need Sundays off to recover from hangovers.

Bad idea.

ZagAddict
02-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Hey, Saturday night games are a romantic night out with the Mrs.!!!!

Besides, the students need Sundays off to recover from hangovers.

Bad idea.

:agreed:

I love the Thursday & Saturday schedule... :)

misszigzag
02-25-2009, 08:34 PM
I'm sure this has been covered in previous years but I would like to suggest we switch to a Thursday-Sunday schedule in WCC play.

It's a long time for us fans to wait after Saturday's game for Thursday to come around. It would also give everyone more time to rest up and prepare for the next game.

Playing a Tuesday-Saturday or Wednesday-Saturday schedule would be better, but the Tuesday and Wednesday slots are pretty filled up on the ESPN network. We could play Sunday afternoon games so the teams would be ready for school on Monday, and the east coast could actually watch some of our games before 9:00 pm (or later).

Ah, I like the Wednesday-Saturday schedule suggestion. I know logistically it doesn't quite work out, but it would be a nice way to break the week up. Thursday always seems so far off.

KOzag08
02-26-2009, 06:29 AM
Well, remember, they have to take the student's schedule into play. The Thursday-Saturday deal is good for them as students so they're not missing too many classes with all that travel.

guardu
02-26-2009, 06:36 AM
I like the format the way it is too. The one thing they could do is have a really good conference Saturday game and move it to Sunday afternoon or evening. The Pac-10 does it and its nice to have some west coast ball on Sunday at that time. They could do it on FSN or ESPN if they wanted to pick it up.

Speaking of ESPN, what the heck happened to having a 9:00 game on a couple times a week on the main network. That was always some west of the rockies teams battling it out. Yeah it was late but at least it was exposure for teams that otherwise don't get any.

DixieZag
02-26-2009, 06:59 AM
I like the idea. If the games are played early enough the students should be able to make it to Monday class.

gamagin
02-26-2009, 08:55 AM
you need sunday to finish the second keg. why not watch a game, too ?

guardu
02-26-2009, 09:00 AM
you need sunday to finish the keg. why not watch a game, too ?

I like your thinkin' but sometimes you could already be tapping another one by Sunday.

Crusader Rick
02-26-2009, 09:59 AM
The other problem with this is the costs involved. One more night in a hotel for twenty or so folks times seven times per year adds up quite a bit, and while Gonzaga's budget might be ok, it would really put an uneccessary burden on some of the smaller programs in the conference. Friday/Sunday would work, and I would think would also be better for the student athletes.

FlyZag
02-26-2009, 02:46 PM

Don't forget that these are NCAA atheletes and thus can only participate in said sport for so many hours per day and days per week. When I was a student athelete we were limited to practice/competition 6 days per week. The NCAA mandates at least one "rest" day. So the Thur/Sat games make Sunday a good rest day.

Zagsker
02-26-2009, 03:10 PM
One scheduling item they need to take care of is when the WCC tourney is played.....our tourney finishes when there is still a little over a week unit the Big Dance....7+ days is alot of time in between games...and can especially hurt you if your team is starting to gel

ZagSlug
02-26-2009, 04:54 PM
4 teams in one gym. Doubleheader.

Thursday/Saturday works for me. It makes Thursday seem more like Friday. As long as I get to view the games I don't care when they play them. T

gu03alum
02-26-2009, 05:04 PM
I wonder what the pope would say about all of these Catholic schools playing on Sunday. ;)

Crusader Rick
02-26-2009, 10:08 PM
I wonder what the pope would say about all of these Catholic schools playing on Sunday. ;)

He'd probably be more understanding than some of the Evangelicals in the bible belt.

Zag 77
02-26-2009, 10:24 PM
For years now, the Spokane Parochial League has played football, volleyball, basketball, baseball and softball on Sundays at Gonzaga Prep. This is because Prep uses the facilities on Saturdays, and to avoid conflicts with AAU, Little League, youth soccer, etc.

No big deal. You go to mass on Sunday mornings and then you enjoy family time with the kids doing a wholesome, positive activity.