PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's take on Sam Dower and Manny Arop

MotoZag
02-25-2009, 06:01 PM
For all those (including myself) that are excited about these guys. Here's ESPN's take on them, including the respective rating GU received for signing both of them.

Sam Dower
Rating: 89

January, 2009: After sitting out the majority of the first half with two fouls (Timberwolves Shootout) Dower got it going in the second half. He is a long and lean lefty that is a good athlete. He is very mobile and a quick jumper around the basket. Although he is still a work in progress on offense Dower has a couple go to moves that he executes very well. Dower likes to shoot the jump hook over his right shoulder on both sides of the lane but on the left side he will look to face up at times. He does a great job of sealing and resealing his defender to improve his post position. Dower is also a good passer out of the post vs. the double team. He gets the ball out of his hands right as he feels the pressure which makes it difficult for the defense to recover due too such quick ball movement. Dower can hit the mid range jumper with time to set and the trail three with time and space as well. His shot starts very low but ends with a good follow through. Added strength should help raise the starting point on his shot. Dower is a good rebounder especially on the offensive end as he uses his long wing span fore tip INS and to come over from the weak side to block shots. Defensively dower did a great job at helping in on ball screening situations. This young man has great upside.

July, 2008: Good body, long arms with good athletic ability -- not great. Runs well and has soft hands and good footwork. Can score in transition when he sprints the middle of the floor for quick post-ups. In the half court he does a good job ducking in the lane to post. Likes to shoot turnaround jumpers in the lane and has a very good left-handed jump hook with good extension and elevation. Benefits from guard penetration and can finish above the rim when he has an angle. Can pass and shoot from the high post area with range out to the arc with time and space. Good touch at the free throw line. Good rebounder, especially on the defensive end. His long arms provide him the ability to block or alter shots. Must get stronger and continue to tone up his body and improve conditioning, which will allow him to run the floor harder and more consistently.

December, 2007: Sam Dower is a rapidly developing left handed big man with a ton of potential. He can score in the post with his left-handed hook over his right shoulder and can also shoot turn-around jumpers in the post as well. He is a good defender and runs the floor well for his size. He has good hands and is an above average athlete. Dower is not consistent in his play yet and he tends to float on the perimeter too much. While he is capable of making jump shots, Dower spends too much time out behind the 3-point line and becomes a much less effective player out there. He needs to develop a counter move in the post and he needs to become more assertive, more often to realize his potential as a player.

Manny Arop
Rating: 88

February, 2009: Arop has incredible athleticism, quickness, and leaping ability, which he uses to make plays on both sides of the floor. He plays with a great amount of energy and does not take plays off, whether his team has the ball or when digging in defensively. Arop also has an impressive frame with good length as well as the capacity to get stronger and even more muscular. He has an awesome first step but he needs to continue to improve his ball-handling skills. Arop likes to get into the mid-range area of the floor where he can use his length and leaping ability to see over defenders for a pull-up jumper. He can also hit the occasional 3, but he needs to improve his consistency in this area. Arop sometimes believes too much in his ability and takes contested shots. On defense, he does a great job of using his lateral quickness and length to harass ball-handlers on the perimeter. Arop also anticipates and plays passing lanes for steals very well, using his quick hands. Arop also passes the ball to open teammates due to his good vision and unselfish style of play.
Notes

Native of Sudan who moved to Canada when he was nine...Currently attends Basketball Canada's National Elite Development Academy on the campus of McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario...Goes by the name "Manny"...

23dpg
02-25-2009, 06:55 PM
What do those scores mean (88 and 89)? 3 star? 4?

NotoriousZ
02-25-2009, 06:59 PM

B+

:jk:

The future is bright indeed.

MyZags
02-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Nice post Moto.

NotoriousZ
02-25-2009, 07:06 PM

The highest ratings I've seen were 95's or maybe a 96. So 88 and 89 are really, really good. To be in the 99-100 area you'd need a Shaq that hits 90% of his free throws.

Edit: I just looked at the top prospects and there's a bunch of 98's and 97's, so just throw out everything I say from now on.

ZagAddict
02-25-2009, 07:09 PM
Really excited about both Dower and Arop... just wish Arop would be at GU for more of the summer to work with the team. From what I understand, he will be playing for team Canada for a portion of the summer... same thing with Olynyk and Elias. Not a good thing when trying to incorporate young players into your rotation.

ZagNative
02-25-2009, 07:09 PM

Here's the link to Manny's ESPN profile (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=62326&season=2009). Click on the 88 scout grade and it tells you what the rating system means.

80-89: High Major Prospect

Player has the potential to start or significantly contribute as a freshman for most top national Division I programs.

i.e., "This is a high major shovel-ready freshman."

rennis
02-25-2009, 07:44 PM
Really excited about both Dower and Arop... just wish Arop would be at GU for more of the summer to work with the team. From what I understand, he will be playing for team Canada for a portion of the summer... same thing with Olynyk and Elias. Not a good thing when trying to incorporate young players into your rotation.

poppycock! don't you know the team can't practice together until October anyway!?

;)

lambdachi1988lion
02-25-2009, 10:56 PM
They will be very good players. 2nd and 3rd top rated recruits coming into the WCC next year.

Top spot however belongs to LMU's Given Kalipinde at a 90

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=66892&season=2009&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d668 92%26season%3d2009

January, 2009: Kalipinde has electric quickness and explosive athleticism that makes him a very tough cover for opposing defenses. Using his natural gifts, Kalipinde has the ability to score the basketball with ease and erupt for points in a hurry. He has range that extends out to the 3-point line and he also does a very good job of scoring in the mid-range by utilizing the one or two dribble pull-up jumper. Kalipinde's scoring ability and penchant for scoring off the catch-and-shoot allows him to excel as a shooting guard. However, he also has very good passing skills and vision, which allows him to play some point guard in a pinch. Kalipinde also possesses very good strength, which allows him to finish at the rim while taking contact from defenders. His strength and athleticism also helps him to rebound the basketball at a very high rate on both ends of the court. Kalipinde does a very good job defensively and plays passing lanes for well, understanding how to bait opponents into throwing passes that he can step in and steal.

WallaWallaZag
02-25-2009, 11:23 PM
too bad lmu's best recruit, vinson, backed out after bayno had to leave...

bullzag23
02-26-2009, 07:17 AM
They will be very good players. 2nd and 3rd top rated recruits coming into the WCC next year.

Top spot however belongs to LMU's Given Kalipinde at a 90

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=66892&season=2009&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d668 92%26season%3d2009

January, 2009: Kalipinde has electric quickness and explosive athleticism that makes him a very tough cover for opposing defenses. Using his natural gifts, Kalipinde has the ability to score the basketball with ease and erupt for points in a hurry. He has range that extends out to the 3-point line and he also does a very good job of scoring in the mid-range by utilizing the one or two dribble pull-up jumper. Kalipinde's scoring ability and penchant for scoring off the catch-and-shoot allows him to excel as a shooting guard. However, he also has very good passing skills and vision, which allows him to play some point guard in a pinch. Kalipinde also possesses very good strength, which allows him to finish at the rim while taking contact from defenders. His strength and athleticism also helps him to rebound the basketball at a very high rate on both ends of the court. Kalipinde does a very good job defensively and plays passing lanes for well, understanding how to bait opponents into throwing passes that he can step in and steal.

I really hope that LMU as well as the other WCC schools continue to bring in such recruits. This can only make our conference better, and that's good for everyone involved.

DoMieD
02-26-2009, 07:47 AM
Dower is ranked as the #20 Center

Arop is ranked as the #54 Shooting Guard

DixieZag
02-26-2009, 08:03 AM
I love that both players were noted for their defensive ability, seems like we can count on not dropping off in our defensive effectiveness.

Also love that both players had mention of their ability to hit the mid range jumper, an almost completely extinct aspect of todays players.

DixieZag
02-26-2009, 08:48 AM
I think it is a bonus that Manny and his Canadian brothers will be playing in the World Juniors, though summer "practices" are of course against the rules, everyone everywhere plays pick up games together and do jell. That being said, competition against some of the best young players in the world, with real coaching is a huge bonus in my mind, and will make them that much tougher and better as they enter their Gonzaga careers. Just my opinion, and as I have noted before, I don't know anything.

MDABE80
02-26-2009, 09:05 AM
We know about talent. We have that now. We need a team. Hope these newcomers form a team so they enhance each other. Lots of major talents coming to the college ranks. I like Dower and Manny best. Think TEAM!

MotoZag
02-26-2009, 11:21 AM
HockeyZag, no copying intended. It's probably one of the most googled pictures of the year actually. A great photo, imo. ;)