PDA

View Full Version : Who Do You Want to Finish Second?

Angelo Roncalli
02-25-2009, 01:24 PM
UP is one game up on SMC for second place and the coveted bye through to the semi-finals of the WCC tournament.

UP plays at San Diego tomorrow (USD -1.5) and at SCU on Saturday (senior night, Bryant's last home game, etc.)

SMC plays at Pepperdine tomorrow (SMC -13) and finishes conference play at LMU, a game in which SMC should be favored by about 20.

Though both SMC and UP will be on the road, UP has the apparent tougher pair of games this weekend and, at least to me, would seem the more likely to lose a game. I believe there's a good chance SCU will beat UP. SCU lost to UP by only 1 at Chiles.

If UP loses 1 of 2, and SMC wins 2 of 2, they'll be tied record-wise at 10-4. Assuming UP's loss is to SCU, UP and SCU will also be tied in the first two tie-breakers (head to head and record against other WCC teams, in descending order). That means the WCC's third tie-breaker--RPI--will be used to determine seeding. SMC's RPI is 51 and UP's RPI is 108. Under this scenario, SMC would get the #2 seed based on the Gaels' better RPI.

So...what do you think will happen? Go Pilots or Go Gaels?

What do you want to happen?

Why?

My thoughts: I think GU matches up against Portland better than SMC. SMC has better athletes and is a better rebounding team. So, if the Zags are to play SMC for the championship, I'd rather have the Gaels come into the game having played on the two previous days and be a bit more fatigued. A triple OT match between the Gaels and Pilots on Sunday would be nice.

lothar98zag
02-25-2009, 01:30 PM
I want GU to win in Vegas AND I want 2 WCC teams in the NCAA tourney, therefore this is how I want things to play out -

I want SMC to finish in 3rd so they can, w/ Mills playing, easily win 2 games in Vegas before losing to GU in the finals. The 2 wins will (in theory) show the committee that w/ Mills back, SMC is playing well enough to deserve an at-large spot.

Pargo the Destroyer
02-25-2009, 01:33 PM
I want GU to win in Vegas AND I want 2 WCC teams in the NCAA tourney, therefore this is how I want things to play out -

I want SMC to finish in 3rd so they can, w/ Mills playing, easily win 2 games in Vegas before losing to GU in the finals. The 2 wins will (in theory) show the committee that w/ Mills back, SMC is playing well enough to deserve an at-large spot.

whole heartedly agree with Lothar 100%

lothar98zag
02-25-2009, 01:38 PM
whole heartedly agree with Lothar 100%
Also it would be cool for the long suffering Pilots (& fan) to get 2nd place. Hopefully they win 2 games this week and don't leave things to a tiebreaker.

sdzag
02-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Let Portland have their time. Go Pilots! Have a good time with #2.

Angelo Roncalli
02-25-2009, 01:41 PM
Also it would be cool for the long suffering Pilots (& fan) to get 2nd place. Hopefully they win 2 games this week and don't leave things to a tiebreaker.

Agreed.

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-25-2009, 01:43 PM
I'd like to see the Pilots finish second. That would hopefully would give them the momentum to have a strong 09-10 season. SMC, on the other hand, has done a lot to build a winning culture at that school of the last two seasons, and the Gaels should, at the least, be a very respectable team for years to come, even if Bennett leaves. So, ultimately, I think the Pilots getting that #2 spot would be better for the WCC and, therefore, the Zags as well.

jbslicer
02-25-2009, 02:02 PM
Pilots second and Gaels third would be my choice.

BobZag
02-25-2009, 02:04 PM
I think GU will play SCU in the semis and will play SMC in the finals.

gamagin
02-25-2009, 02:04 PM

Go Zags !

Das Zagger
02-25-2009, 02:11 PM
SMC in the finals.

I don't know if that would happen if SMC winds up playing SCU in the tourney. SCU played SMC really tough (last second Mills' three ftw) in Moraga and absolutely owned them in Santa Clara.

SMC has been playing much better since Mills went down so maybe that's part of it. Dunno what will happen all I know is I'm ready to be in Vegas.

BobZag
02-25-2009, 02:15 PM
#1 Zags will play #4 SCU, most likely.

#2 Gaels will play #3 UP, most likely, or vice-versa, it doesn't matter.

SCU won't be on SMC's side of the bracket. They will only meet if SCU beats GU. I am assuming SMC will beat UP.

NorthWestZag
02-25-2009, 02:27 PM
1. I kind of want SMC to get that #2 seed, and have a Vegas championship showdown of SMC (with Patty) vs. GU, of course GU wins and gives us a huge boost (seeding wise) heading into the tourney.

2. If we play Santa Clara and Portland in the WCC tourney, beat them both easily, I think that hurts our RPI even more and we could be in #6 or #7 seed range for the big boy dance

I like scenerio 1 more, which would probably give us a #4 or #5 seed in the tourney.

BoZarth
02-25-2009, 02:33 PM
For selfish reasons. The better the Pilots are the tougher the Gonzaga-Portland roadtrip becomes. In many season past teams could relax when in Portland. I want that game to be a tough competitive one like this season.

Finish 2nd Pilots and build on this successful season.

GoZags!!!!

CDC84
02-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Another issue to consider is that Mills may not actually be available for the WCC tourney. They talked about this during the Utah State/SMC game. You also have to consider how effective Mills would be if he can go, and how his teammates would handle the quick adjustment to having him on board again. I know it seems like it would be easy, but SMC has had to restructure a lot of things on both ends in order to make up for his loss.

On paper, I would feel better going into a WCC title game against Portland. Although the game at Portland had some challenging moments, I never really felt Gonzaga was going to lose it. On the other hand, there is a part of me (the competitive side) that would love to have a crack at SMC with Mills on board.

whatazag
02-25-2009, 02:53 PM
For RPI reasons, I think the best scenario would be for SMC to be #3 and win 2 games to get to the championship game and lose to us.

theirishzag03
02-25-2009, 03:01 PM
For selfish reasons. The better the Pilots are the tougher the Gonzaga-Portland roadtrip becomes. In many season past teams could relax when in Portland. I want that game to be a tough competitive one like this season.

Finish 2nd Pilots and build on this successful season.

GoZags!!!!

We match up well against UP. Portland looked good against SMC at the Chiles.

So, I would like to see UP hold onto 2nd place, get a SMC team that played the day before in the Semis. Could hope for an upset on our side of the bracket, but can't picture us playing anybody except SC in the Semis. If Portland advances to the Finals I think they may get an NIT invitation. That would be really cool and well deserved! If St. Mary's were to make the finals and lose a close game they may (doubt) get NCAA consideration IF committee accounts for Mills injury. So, I guess what I really want to see is 3 TEAMS from the WCC playing in the post season. I just do not know if the NCAA snubs St. Mary's if the NIT will take both UP and SMC...

Go WCC, Go Zags!!!

spudzag
02-25-2009, 03:18 PM
I'd like to see UP go. They have put together a great season and done the hard work to deserve it.