PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Palm Projects the Field

ZagNative
02-25-2009, 10:16 AM
For CBSSportsline (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11233762).

Zags a 5 seed in Boise.

This projection is unique among those you'll see because it is based on what I think the final bracket will look like, not necessarily what it would look like if the tournament started today.

For example, if the tournament started today, Connecticut would probably be the overall No. 1 seed. But I think North Carolina will stop messing up long enough to get the overall No. 1 on March 15. We'll see.

For each conference, the projected champion is the team I expect to win the conference's automatic bid. That is not necessarily the team I think will win the regular season title. UNLV is an example of this. I think Utah will win the Mountain West regular season title, but that UNLV will win the conference tournament, which the Rebels host. He bases the Zags position on his expectation they'll be WCC tournament champions.

BobZag
02-25-2009, 10:23 AM
I doubt Utah State makes the tournament.

Don't be surprised if the committee gets cute and pits the Zags and chickens against each other in Round 2.

Jakester425
02-25-2009, 10:49 AM

Don't be surprised if the committee gets cute and pits the Zags and chickens against each other in Round 2.

I disagree, I think they still have to be the favorite out of the WAC. If not, who do you see representing their conference?

Das Zagger
02-25-2009, 10:51 AM

Please Baby Jesus, let this happen.

208Zag
02-25-2009, 10:56 AM
I like that Boise location prediction . . .

I'm with you Jakster425 I've still got to think Utah St. is the favorite to win the very, very weak WAC. Boise St. has a chance as the tournament is at their place and they play well at home (but only at home).

As for a second round match-up with the chickens . . . . that woudl be AWESOME!

VaBeachZAG
02-25-2009, 12:00 PM
"Don't be surprised if the committee gets cute and pits the Zags and chickens against each other in Round 2."

Wouldn't be the least surprised to see this happen. There is precendent for matching up a "snubor" with a "snubee."
In the late 70's/early 80's UK absolutely would not play Louisville. One year the committee set up a second round meeting between the two but UK lost to Middle Tennessee in the first round, thus derailing the game with Louisville. This was a huge upset for MT and many speculated UK intentionally lost to avoid playing Louisville (doubtful, but...). Several years later the committee was at it again and this time the two teams met with Louisville winning going away in OT. Joe B. Hall was noted for holding a rolled up game program while coaching from the bench. I don't recall if Hall and Denny Crumb shook hands after the game but I do remember later reading that Hall drop kicked his rolled up program in humiliated anger as he walked up the tunnel afer the game. Shortly thereafter the state legislature said it was time for the teams to meet on a regular basis. It was great times living in Louisville during all those great tournament runs by Crumb's teams.

gaels87
02-25-2009, 12:42 PM
one of the most disturbing things about this bracket is the fact that he only has THREE mid-major at-large bids. Two from the Mountain West and one from the A-10. I'm not saying that SMC deserves to be one of them right now - but for the love of God - there are other deserving schools across the country outside of the BCS conferences.

Reborn
02-25-2009, 01:23 PM
I agree, gaels. If Davidson gets in then I think St. Mary's should as well. I mean let's be fair here. Maybe Davidson is in because they win their conference tournament. Personally, I don't think that injuries should be considered when determining the selection. So, if Davidson does't win their conference tournament then they should not go either. I feel the same way about St. Mary's. Injuries are just part of the game. I think a loss is a loss. Period. However, the Gaels do have a win against Utah St. I think a problem for St. Mary's is going to go down to their poor out of conference schedule. The committee keeps telling coaches that a tough OOC schedule is very important.

BobZag
02-25-2009, 02:09 PM
I disagree, I think they still have to be the favorite out of the WAC. If not, who do you see representing their conference?

Nevada. The WAC Tourney is in Reno. And Utah St. won't get an at-large.

roxdoc
02-25-2009, 02:47 PM
I would think that it would be more likely that the "committee" would attempt to match up the better non-BCS shools as soon as possible so that there would be fewer possibilities of ugly BCS "upsets". Example: Davidson-Zags last year. Generally they like to have one non-BCS school for a cute cinderella story, but more having more than one good one isn't in the script.

theirishzag03
02-25-2009, 03:13 PM
I would like to see us swap with Marquette and the world would be in perfect harmony! Only better scenario I can see is us earning a #4 seed and flip-flopping with Nova. I like that draw a lot! Clemson scares me! (At least the Clemson that hung one on Duke) Surely prefer Buffalo and Arizona State!!!

4AmericasTeam
02-25-2009, 04:15 PM

We may do well against that particular poorly-coached playground style team that just races down the court and hucks up 3s. :p

dawgfather11
02-25-2009, 04:55 PM
Alright i'll bite...

I for one would love to play GU in the opening weekend, would make for an easy trip to the sweet sixteen for my dawgs. Their isn't anything about Gonzaga that scares me this year, Washington has superior guard and post play this year. :P

ZagLawGrad
02-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Alright i'll bite...

I for one would love to play GU in the opening weekend, would make for an easy trip to the sweet sixteen for my dawgs. Their isn't anything about Gonzaga that scares me this year, Washington has superior guard and post play this year.

Yaaaawwnnn....

BobZag
02-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Alright i'll bite...

I for one would love to play GU in the opening weekend, would make for an easy trip to the sweet sixteen for my dawgs. Their isn't anything about Gonzaga that scares me this year, Washington has superior guard and post play this year.

Fish on! We all wish your coach thought more like you.

dawgfather11
02-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Fish on! We all wish your coach thought more like you.

aye, and we all wish your coach wasn't a crying little snake so, otherwise we would play you every year :P

BobZag
02-25-2009, 05:42 PM
aye, and we all wish your coach wasn't a crying little snake so, otherwise we would play you every year :P

And we all wish your coach wouldn't cheat. :p

NotoriousZ
02-25-2009, 05:53 PM

Oh, THAT'S why you wussed out of the series. :lmao:

4AmericasTeam
02-25-2009, 06:47 PM
:lmao: not laughing with the chx; laughing at them :lmao:

RenoZag
02-25-2009, 06:49 PM

Careful what you wish for, hombre. . .

ZagAddict
02-25-2009, 06:53 PM
And we all wish your coach wouldn't cheat. :p

:clap:

Two important questions about the GU/UW series:

1. What school ended the series?

2. What was Romar's record against the Zags during the series?

Maybe UW should try and schedule LMU... GU and UP obviously didn't work out for Romar :D

ZagAddict
02-25-2009, 06:58 PM

I don't see the committee scheduling the Zags/UW in the 2nd round... I think one will be in Boise and the other will be in Portland. I wouldn't be surprised to see GU/UCLA play in the 2nd round though... maybe a classic 4/5 match in Boise :) A match up in the 2nd round against a PAC-10 team would be nice. Any 2nd round match would be nice considering the last 2 years :D

dawgfather11
02-25-2009, 10:08 PM
:clap:

Two important questions about the GU/UW series:

1. What school ended the series?

2. What was Romar's record against the Zags during the series?

Maybe UW should try and schedule LMU... GU and UP obviously didn't work out for Romar :D

1) Neither, the contract ran out and was not renewed. The reason for that is one zag fans don't want to believe so no point in bringing it up again

2)1-4 I believe off the top of my head? 1-2 once our program got turned around with each team protecting their home court.

Pleasant Peninsula
02-25-2009, 10:45 PM
The reason for that is one zag fans don't want to believe so no point in bringing it up again

The reason this Zag fan doesn't believe this "reason", is because I've seen no evidence of it, aside from non-credible message board sources.

Zag79
02-25-2009, 11:04 PM
who wouldnt like to play them? would that not be the most satisfying win ever in march? me likes.

ZagsGoZags
02-25-2009, 11:38 PM
actually dawg11 was giving opinions that were comprehensible from a UW pt of view, until he started making head games and word games with the comment that GU wussed out. Even though we helped the world catch Romar at cheating, we still wanted to keep playing the series. Romar wussed out.