PDA

View Full Version : USD Will Be Without Trumaine Johnson

Angelo Roncalli
02-25-2009, 07:17 AM
JOHNSON TO TRANSFER AT END OF SEMESTER: Sophomore guard Trumaine Johnson (Houston, TX) will not return to the team this season, and he will transfer at the end of the semester, it was announced today by head coach Bill Grier. This season he appeared in 14 games with 11 starts and averaged 11.6 points per game. Last year as a freshman he played in 35 games with 16 starts and averaged 5.7 points per game.

http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/022409aaa.html

Car windshields in the San Diego area are breathing a sigh of relief...;)

Nevtelen
02-25-2009, 08:24 AM
Man, they are dropping like flies this week. Too bad for USD - whatever his problems off the court (clearly they were big considering the whole stink at the beginning of the year) Johnson was a very solid player. This'll hurt USD next year, too, even with Brandon Johnson coming back.

lothar98zag
02-25-2009, 12:55 PM
Man, they are dropping like flies this week. Too bad for USD - whatever his problems off the court (clearly they were big considering the whole stink at the beginning of the year) Johnson was a very solid player. This'll hurt USD next year, too, even with Brandon Johnson coming back.
at this point it could be/probably will be - addition by subraction

BobZag
02-25-2009, 02:21 PM
With Ginty the Flopping Fish or Chris Dorr or whomever is at the point, the Zags should pressure the sh!t out of him and feast on turnovers. Gotta take advantage of these things. Show no mercy.

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-25-2009, 02:55 PM
With Ginty the Flopping Fish or Chris Dorr or whomever is at the point, the Zags should pressure the sh!t out of him and feast on turnovers. Gotta take advantage of these things. Show no mercy.

Agreed. I love it when teams truly use their defense as a weapon. The Zags, as we all know, have a very nice defensive FG %, but they certainly are not an attacking defense. The only time this season that I can remember them being truly aggressive defensively against good competition was the first part of the second half against Wazzu -- that 1/3/1 broke the Cougs. Good defense doesn't necessarily have to be an attacking, Vols-style defense, but it adds another powerful dimension to a team when it can play that style, even if its selectively.

Billfish'80
02-25-2009, 03:44 PM
talking about a "great" defense? Makes me smile! Not a conversation we're particularly used to having. We have one of the big puzzle pieces found. Thank WSU for reminding everyone last year what a lock-down defence can bring to a team. I wish we had time to find the inside presence/rebounding piece so we could move all our guys to their true positions. That would be a team primed for post-season work. As-is, I still love the way we look when our defense is clicking! A couple more games to keep tuning it up. I feel sorta sorry for Coach Grier and SD this year. Hasn't been the year any of us thought for them.

HOOTER
02-25-2009, 04:03 PM
So when we beat USD this weekend the win will no doubt be tainted. :p

Kiddwell
02-25-2009, 08:29 PM
Here's a bit more of the story. Still not really clear what the whole situation was about.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/feb/25/1s25usdhoop22115-toreros-trumaine-johnson-wont-be-/

:]

Just A Zag
02-25-2009, 10:49 PM
Any indication on where he would be going?

zagfan24
02-26-2009, 05:27 AM
Any indication on where he would be going?

My guess is 1) somewhere with a familiar system, 2) a team that will lose a senior point guard and open up some playing time, 3) a coach with a track record of helping troubled players rekindle their career, and 4) a school that he could play against Grier and USD a couple of times every year to "get back at him"

Anywhere you know fit that mold? :D

bullzag23
02-26-2009, 07:10 AM
My guess is 1) somewhere with a familiar system, 2) a team that will lose a senior point guard and open up some playing time, 3) a coach with a track record of helping troubled players rekindle their career, and 4) a school that he could play against Grier and USD a couple of times every year to "get back at him"

Anywhere you know fit that mold? :D

No thanks. We already have a PG for the future. I'd like to introduce you to Meech Goodson ;)

BobZag
02-26-2009, 08:36 AM
A little school in Texas, I'd guess.