PDA

View Full Version : Jackson and Kingma ousted by Lake Stevens Tonight

TerpZag
02-24-2009, 10:25 PM
Lake Stevens 76, Jackson 60

MILL CREEK — The Lake Stevens boys basketball team had every reason to be intimidated on Tuesday night.

Facing elimination while playing a “neutral site” game at their opponent’s gym, the Vikings also had to deal with the early return of one of the state’s top underclassmen in Jackson sophomore Brett Kingma, who missed three weeks with a broken left arm.

As if that weren’t enough of a challenge, the game was played under the watchful eye of University of Washington basketball coach Lorenzo Romar, who was most likely on hand to see Kingma.

But intimidated?

Not the Vikings.

Lake Stevens (21-5)answered every challenge that came its way, using an early 9-0 run to pull ahead and lead the final 30 ˝ minutes en route to a 76-60 win over Jackson in a consolation semifinal of the 4A District 1 tournament. The Vikings, who posted the best record in the Western Conference and entered the tournament as the district’s top seed, stayed alive in the hunt for a state-tournament berth...

“They just came out mentally tough and ready to play,” Jackson’s Kingma said. “We didn’t. We talked about it, but we didn’t play that way. We didn’t compete.”

Kingma, for whom Romar was presumably in the house, played his second game after missing three weeks with a broken left arm and showed the rust. Kingma hit just 1 of 8 shots in the first half and finished with nine points on 3-of-17 shooting for the night.

He scored 23 points in a win over Arlington earlier this week but couldn’t repeat the performance on Tuesday. Kingma took part in just four practices after breaking the radius bone in his non-shooting arm last month.

“It was supposed to be in a cast a couple more weeks,” he said Tuesday night, shortly after his team’s season officially came to an end. “I kept begging the doctor to play, and finally he said, ‘OK, but it’s at your own risk.’ “I was cleared a month-and-a-half early, but I really wanted to go to state. These seniors deserved it, but obviously it’s not going to happen.”

While Kingma was unable to show off his shooting touch, junior teammate Ryan Todd kept the Timberwolves in the game for most of the night. He scored 10 of his game-high 25 points before halftime, helping Jackson stay within three points, at 31-28, at the break.

But Lake Stevens simply had too much firepower, mostly in the paint. When Kaska and Stickney (16 points, 12 rebounds) weren’t dominating inside, Vikings wing men Ryan Legg (10 points) and T.J. Dodge (10 points, six rebounds and six assists) were driving the lane and finding ways to score.
Lake Stevens outscored Jackson (16-11) by a margin of 45-32 over the final 16 minutes to effectively knock the Timberwolves out...

http://www.heraldnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/cce?module=3&class=35&category=preps&template=boxscores&execute=1&field=Date&Date=20090224&field=title&TitleSearch=Boys%20basketball:%20Jackson%20vs.%20L ake%20Stevens

2011Zag
02-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Brett can blame it on what seems to be the Romar curse. It seems whenever Romar is around good players they all of a sudden look lost and play way below their potential. Weird.

JAGzag
02-25-2009, 02:37 AM
Brett can blame it on what seems to be the Romar curse. It seems whenever Romar is around good players they all of a sudden look lost and play way below their potential. Weird.

That's funny because it's true. That, and it was only a matter of time before the chicken was on the scene - it alway seems to happen when Few finds a nugget or ID's a player worthy of playing for the Zags. Weird.

BobZag
02-25-2009, 08:36 AM
I feel for Brett, he must feel frustrated to be limited and not yet 100%. But what a tough kid. Great things are in this future Zag's future.

Funny thing is, there was likely a Gonzaga coach in attendance but the writer is too ga-ga over Romar to notice.

xjzico
02-25-2009, 08:45 AM
Great things are in this future Zag's future.

Sneaking another tidbit in there?

zagfan08
02-25-2009, 10:28 AM
That's funny because it's true. That, and it was only a matter of time before the chicken was on the scene - it alway seems to happen when Few finds a nugget or ID's a player worthy of playing for the Zags. Weird.

UW has been interested in Brett since 8th grade. Romar was at a game last year when I played against him. It's nothing new. He likes UW too. But I would agree with BZ, it seems likely he will be a Zag.

mrob7
04-09-2009, 04:14 PM
I really doubt he'll go to UW, he's very interested in Gonzaga from when i've talked to him. I didn't do a highlight for this game, cause it was a pretty ugly game, although there are a few highlights from it in this season's highlight (http://vimeo.com/3614309)

In this game, Jackson was wearing their away jerseys (black) against the white purple and gold lake stevens team.