PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Gary Bell - SeattleTimes SPSL North First Team

ZagNative
02-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Seattle Times (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/text/2008778074_weballleagueboys24.html)
Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - Page updated at 10:00 a.m.

SPSL North

Player of year — Joshua Smith, Kentwood

Coach of year — Dave Jamison, Kentridge

FIRST TEAM

P Joshua Smith, Jr., Kentwood; F Cole Dickerson, Jr., Federal Way; G Gary Bell, So., Kentridge; W Ryan Rogers, Jr., Auburn Riverside; G/F Christian Behrens, So., Tahoma; G Michael Hale III, Sr., Federal Way.

From a December 5, 2008 Kent Reporter story (http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/south_king/ken/sports/35615834.html):

Basketball preview: KR’s changing of the guard

By ERICK WALKER
Kent Reporter Sports reporter
Dec 05 2008

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/2011%20Recruits/Gary%20Bell/2008-12-10GaryBellPreseasonstory.jpg

They’ve lost their star.

Heck, three all-leaguers from a year ago are gone.

But rest assured, by season’s end, the Kentridge High boys basketball team will have proven plenty of people wrong. Sharpshooting sophomore sensation Gary Bell is banking on it.

“A lot of people, they’re not going to think of us as a hard team to play (because of all the players we lost),” explained Bell, a 6-foot-1, 180-pound guard who can hit from virtually anywhere on the court. “We have a smaller team, so we’re going to have to play faster.”

And if Bell has anything to say about it — and it’s very likely he will — Kentridge will be plenty of fun to watch, too. Unlike last year, when the Chargers could slow down the game with the best of ‘em, often waiting for 6-foot-6 star Renado Parker to work his way down low, this year’s team lacks size.

To make up for that deficiency, the Chargers anticipate out-running a league loaded with big boys who clog the paint.

“As you would expect, (graduation) took a lot of our inside game,” Kentridge coach Dave Jamison said. “We’re going to have run a lot of other stuff. We’re going to try and press, run and have good team defense.”

The Chargers have some nice tools to make the transition from half-court power to a run-and-gun finesse. But a lot of it will start with Bell, who averaged 10.7 points per game last year and led the South Puget Sound League North Division in shooting percentage (51.7).

“He’s our best athlete,” Jamison said. “He can get a lot of things done.”

But that’s not to say Bell will be alone. In fact, the Chargers should have three of the North’s most explosive guards in Bell, Shaquille McKissic and Laron Daniels.

“We have a good core of guards,” said Bell, who already has received interest from the University of California, among other schools. “We’re going to be run and gun.”
Scout Profile (http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=4142806): Not much attention from Scout yet, but they show Gary with just one school up, Cal, with high interest and an offer outstanding. I saw a premium story on Scout I couldn't access which indicated he may have also received an offer from Washington. BZ hints at Gonzaga interest. Anyone know if Gonzaga has offered?

No Rivals profile yet, so far as I can tell.

MaxPreps Page (http://www.maxpreps.com/washington/basketball/kentridge-(kent)/gary-bell/stats.aspx?athleteid=ed8b8164-d7d1-438f-86d4-d8636770a3e2&ssid=08e31156-1f2d-4c08-b687-afb41d9f9601&urpath=,local,player): 19 ppg.

Kentridge HS Results page (http://www.kentridgebasketball.com/game.jsp) (click on the scores to find the stats for each game.

So, I know BZ is big on Mr. Bell, and first-team SPSL as a sophomore indicates some folks on the west side think he can play. Question is: Can we lure him away from Cal, UW and the rest of the Pac 10?

BobZag
02-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Good question, ZN. I sure hope so. Gary and his team attend GU's team camp every summer. And as Skan observed, Few had Gary playing with the Zags in pick-up games.

Bell and Kingma would be as potent a backcourt as any in the country.

xjzico
02-24-2009, 10:50 AM
ZN, I think you're right, there was some buzz a while back over on the Chicken's board that Head Chicken Romar was watching and had offered.

dim4sum
02-24-2009, 12:10 PM
I've seen them both. I think, at this point, Kingma is more of a fit becuase of his innate court intelligence which enables him to adjust to a structured, often complex, offense. However, Bell also has a reliable three.

BobZag
02-24-2009, 01:48 PM
The staff is also on Nick Johnson from Arizona, he's the son of Dennis Johnson. Nick is an outstanding guard, too.

Kingma sure does fit the Zags, for sure.

MississppiZag
02-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Bob, with Kingma looking as close sa possible to a Gonzaga lock(I know things can happen), what is your take on 2010 PG Aaron Bright? Is the staff in on him?

Jerry Meyer told me on a Rivals message board, that Aaron recently stated that Gonzaga, Arizona, and Stanford were in his top 3. Would Few take Bright and Kingma. Meech would still be here also.

BobZag
02-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Bob, with Kingma looking as close sa possible to a Gonzaga lock(I know things can happen), what is your take on 2010 PG Aaron Bright? Is the staff in on him?

Jerry Meyer told me on a Rivals message board, that Aaron recently stated that Gonzaga, Arizona, and Stanford were in his top 3. Would Few take Bright and Kingma. Meech would still be here also.

I don't have a good handle on 2010 at all. I do know if Few could get two of Kingma, Bell and Johnson in 2011, the Zags' backcourt would be sitting pretty. I really don't know about Bright; right now Greg Hicks considers him to be mid-major caliber. Things change, though, and that's why the coaches continually evaluate and scout kids.

To answer your question: Yes.

malmer7
02-24-2009, 03:16 PM
man you guys are animals - i'm thoroughly impressed with the attention paid to a possible 2011 guy and wish i could stay as close to the situation as you all but appreciate the insight as always.
remind me that when/if i have kids to have you come check him out when he's 9 or 10 so we can get some of the hype started! i really don't want to have to pay for college...

BobZag
02-24-2009, 04:03 PM
Fwiw, I'd be happy to just get Kingma on that list for 2011 guards. :)

ZagAddict
02-24-2009, 08:10 PM
Fwiw, I'd be happy to just get Kingma on that list for 2011 guards. :)

:pray: please say yes Kingma :D

VinnyZag
02-24-2009, 10:47 PM
I've seen them both. I think, at this point, Kingma is more of a fit becuase of his innate court intelligence which enables him to adjust to a structured, often complex, offense. However, Bell also has a reliable three.

do you have some reason to believe that this Bell kid can't adjust to a "structured, often complex" sysyem?

dawgfather11
02-25-2009, 09:26 AM
I don't follow enough about recruiting 2 years ahead but from what I do know is UW will have atleast 5 openings in 2011, with Tony wroten obviously #1 priority but from what we hear on the UW boards Gary Bell is a strong #2. Bell will play with both Josh Smith and Wroten on rotary so expect his stock to go up, will prolly be a top 50 type player.

ZagNative
02-25-2009, 10:50 AM
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Emoticons/snowballs-chance-in-hell-copyright7.gif

Bell as a Zag? Not holding my breath!