PDA

View Full Version : Who are the hottest teams right now

Reborn
02-24-2009, 09:31 AM
Memphis for sure. They've been rising in the polls every week.
After Memphis I'd have to say Gonzaga. The Zags have won 11 of their last twelve. I believe Memphis has the longest win streak going. Who else has won 11 of their last 12?

I think at times we feel disappointment about the season. But this has been such a wierd season for just about every team.

Honestly. I don't really see a "hot" team right now. I don't see a team that I just feel is going to win it all. Everytime I get that feeling about a team something happens and we see an upset. Sometimes it's been fate, and at others it's been injures.

Kansas looked pretty good last night. And they have definately been on the rise. They may be the team to watch. But, then again, Oklahoma's best player was missing in action because of a head injury.

Is there a team like Davidson from last year? If so, I don't see them.

BobZag
02-24-2009, 09:33 AM
Mizzou has been playing well.

ZagMan in Philly
02-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Good topic Reborn.

I would say (not in any order) HOT teams right now:

Villanova
Louisville
Utah
Arizona St.
Arizona
Memphis
Florida St.

My George Mason of this year is Siena.

Reborn
02-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Yes. Louisville. I forgot about them. I watched them take down Georgetown last night. They are definately on the rise and looking ready. I remember how I said, about four or five weeks ago, that I felt that Louisville and Gonzaga's season had a lot in common. I still believe that. Louisville has certainly had their lows, and each time overcame them. I want to wish Louisville the best of luck. They have a good team.

kyle dixon
02-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Gonzaga Prep Bullpups. Beat Richland!!!

cjm720
02-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Arizona, Memphis, Mizzou come to mind. I think the Zags also fit the bill as well, but hard to tell how hot we really are when playing WCC opponents. (We have been winning by large margins, so that's good though).

GO ZAGS!!!

CDC84
02-24-2009, 10:09 AM
Most analysts agree that were are going to be seeing less non-BCS at large bids than we have in recent seasons. It hasn't been a good year for teams outside of the non-BCS leagues.

I doubt we are going to be seeing a Davidson-like type team this March. If a non-BCS team breaks through, it'll be a team that doesn't surprise people....a team like Gonzaga, Memphis or Xavier.

bullzag23
02-24-2009, 10:39 AM
On the subject of 'hot' teams, or in general teams that look like they could win it all, what about Pitt? Memphis is hot, yes, and they look like they'll go far in the tourney if they continue to play as they have for the past couple months. Pitt, however, just took down UCONN on the road, they've won 7 in a row now, and are starting to look more and more like the #1 overall seed. Obviously they still have a couple tough games left(UCONN, Marquette) plus the Big East tourney, but that team is downright scary. Memphis may be tough but I believe Dejuan Blair is the toughest player in the country hands down.

If you couldn't tell, currently my pick to win it all is Pitt, unless UNC starts playing D like they did at the beginning of the season.

malmer7
02-24-2009, 10:45 AM
On the subject of 'hot' teams, or in general teams that look like they could win it all, what about Pitt? Memphis is hot, yes, and they look like they'll go far in the tourney if they continue to play as they have for the past couple months. Pitt, however, just took down UCONN on the road, they've won 7 in a row now, and are starting to look more and more like the #1 overall seed. Obviously they still have a couple tough games left(UCONN, Marquette) plus the Big East tourney, but that team is downright scary. Memphis may be tough but I believe Dejuan Blair is the toughest player in the country hands down.

If you couldn't tell, currently my pick to win it all is Pitt, unless UNC starts playing D like they did at the beginning of the season.

right on the money bull.
the great thing about pitt is that they don't seem to be a "hot" team, yet they just continue to win. i think they're the UCLA of this year, the team that can not play at their best and still find a way to advance through rebounding and defense. i'd also compare pitt to wsu just with better athletes. i'm not sure they can win the tourney (because they will inevitably run up against a super-power team that IS hot - TarHeels) but i certainly like their chances for a final 4 this year.

DoMieD
02-24-2009, 10:54 AM
We're hot b/c we beat 11 garbage teams and lost to the only decent team we played?

CDC84
02-24-2009, 11:19 AM
It needs to be pointed out in this discussion that numerous college basketball analysts have proven time and again that there is no correlation between being "hot" at the end of the regular season and having NCAA tournament success. There are teams who have made the final 4 this decade who went 6-4 in their final 10 games or who got their tails kicked in the quarterfinals of their conference tournament. Teams play unequal schedules, etc. As much fun as it may be to speculate as to who is and who isn't hot entering March Madness, the final 10 games shouldn't be used as a criteria for picking at large teams....there is no statistical proof to justify it.

zagfan08
02-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Exactly. We aren't too hot, we just don't play many NCAA tourney teams the second half of the year. Memphis spanked us, St. Mary's isn't a tourney team without Mills, and we beat everyone else we are supposed to beat.

That doesn't mean we can't get hot in March, however.

Zagsker
02-24-2009, 11:33 AM
Whether Gonzaga is hot going into the tournament is moot...........thanks to the minimum 9 day layoff we would have before playing our first round game...any momentum (hotness) we would have earned would have had time to cool off

They really need to start making all Conf tourneys happen the week/weekend before March Madness

siliconzag
02-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Kansas. Look out. If Mr. Collins can consistently pull off efforts like last night, they are going to the final four again in 2009.

Creighton is looking very good right now. They were buried in the middle of their conference about 4 weeks ago and are now tied for first. They are playing with purpose and very smart. Like all Altman teams. They should win the "Arch Madness" (MVC tournament in St. Louis), and I expect them to have some success in the tournament. The game that impressed me was the game at SIU. It was a rout. And that never happens, even in a down year to the Salukis.

Arizona State is semi hot. As are the Zags. Watch out for the Jayhawks!

I agree with the comments about Mizzou. Very good team, but I think both KU and OU are better. Sili