PDA

View Full Version : Few speaks on KDRK's Jay & Kevin show

Section 116
02-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Mark Few made a rare appearance on KDRK's Jay & Kevin show this morning. I believe I missed the first few minutes but I will attempt to give a fair picture of what he said. As noted in Angelo's thread there is some news about Rob Sacre. Few, and again he was already talking when I tuned in, said Rob would begin working and running. The big question was, and he was right in the middle of his answer when I tuned in, would Rob redshirt or would he play this year. Few said he would not play this weekend under any circumstances. That would mean Rob would have WCC tournament games and however many the Zags may play in the NCAA's. It sounded as if the coaching staff was going to leave it up to Rob if he felt good enough and looked good enough to play. Few said the team certainly has missed his presence down low but Rob could have 3 more full years if he doesn't play this season, because if he steps on the court for one second of game action he will burn his redshirt year. That is my take on the Sacre situation from what I heard on that subject.

Few also discussed the Las Vegas WCC tournament. First question was what about 18-22 years olds on the loose in "Sin City". Any armed guards on the players doors (tongue in cheek of course)! Few said the players would be on their honor and he figured they were mature enough. Regarding the site and the arena, he is thrilled with the location and thinks it will show very well on TV. Also the neutral site is a substantial improvement as we know. Winning the regular season WCC and playing on someone else's court just doesn't wash.

Jay and Kevin then asked Few to play a little word association game. First word-Insprirational. Few's answer, "After all Heytvelt has been through in his career he is probably the most inspirational player on the team." Next word-Dunk. After a moment or two of silence the answer was Micah, especially lately. That led into a a brief converstion of how various players like to lead media members attending practice underneath the basket, and then Micah and Pargo jump over the interviewer and then dunk. Kevin said he would prefer not to be under the basket if Ira decided to try that just in case he didn't succeed in clearing Kevin. Nest word-Tardy. Answer Meech, and then Ira. Ira apparently is tardy for some film sessions and when on the road likes to blame his tardiness on the hotel clocks. Final word-Goofy. This was actually fairly enlightening. The answer was Sacre. Few said the one word description of this edition of the Zags is stoic. Rob is the guy who lightens the moment, provides the enthusiam, and is missed on the court for reasons other than his stature. Few then talked a bit about Rob's background as his mother is from the Vancouver, BC area as I understand but his father is originally from Louisiana. Rob loves to visit his grandfather down in the Baton Rouge, LA area and Few has talked to the grandfather many times, although he laughed and said he has a lot of difficulty understanding the grandfather because of his thick Cajun accent. He said anytime the Zags are within roughly a 12 hour drive of Baton Rouge he sees the grandfather at the games.

I was in my truck while listening and didn't have to opportunity to take notes. What I have written is to the best of my recollection. If I erred on any facts I apologize. In addition there may be others who heard the show and may be able to add. I hope that is the case as I did miss some of the show.

ZagMan in Philly
02-24-2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks for sharing section 116!

gozagswoohoo
02-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Awesome! I love your reports!

gamagin
02-24-2009, 09:52 AM
you are the scoop man !

ZagNative
02-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Super fun report, Section 116! Those kinds of questions and answers are so much more fun and enlightening than the usual run-of-the mill offerings.

lothar98zag
02-24-2009, 12:15 PM
great write up!

bballbeachbum
02-25-2009, 06:58 AM
very much appreciated, 116! you locals get the word; thanks for getting it out to the rest of us.

johnwzag
02-25-2009, 07:49 AM
TY for the report.

oregongufan
02-25-2009, 09:57 AM
If you go their website: www.jaykevin.com you can listen to Coach Few, Ira Brown, Zags in studio, etc.

bballbeachbum
02-25-2009, 10:48 AM
If you go their website: www.jaykevin.com you can listen to Coach Few, Ira Brown, Zags in studio, etc.

Excellent! heading there right now. Thanks oregon.

kazzag
02-25-2009, 11:41 AM
TY, great recap. I'll have to check it out now.

lothar98zag
02-25-2009, 01:02 PM
for anyone that listened to this, did the initial post recap miss anything? if so, what? thanks.

Section 116
02-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks Oregon, the last time I checked they hadn't posted the interviews. If you have the capability it is superior to listen, compared to what I posted.

For those of you who don't have the capability to listen, thanks to Oregon's heads-up on KDRK's site I'll summarize what I missed on the radio yesterday.

The question was is the toughest decision you have to make is when to put Andrew Sorenson in? The answer was rather insightful. Few said Sorenson deserves to go in, he has busted his butt the last couple years and has been shooting well. He's a wonderful guy, but maybe you have your regular guys working through things like maybe you want Steven to make some shots or you're trying to get Meech some minutes because he is important this year and moreso next. The DJ's note there are like 6000 coaches in the building telling you what to do and who to put in and Few says it's more than that, it's like a couple hundred thousand. Few says guys call all the time for tickets and say things like "tough year" huh, and Few says I don't think so, we're undefeated in league and doing well. He's says it's great fans have so much passion but the fans don't realize winning the league is not a given. A lot of folks thought this might be St. Marys year, Patty or not, they still have guys like Simpson and Samhan, Grier had everyone back from last year, when we played in Portland they were saying it was the biggest game there in 30 years. And a bit more about Sacre. Few said losing him was losing the "enforcer" on the team, the guy who would replace Pendo and Kuso for toughness. That's the thing this team is lacking. A few kudos to Foster as well. Few said everywhere we go Foster puts up with the how tall are you thing and it's tough even though he's been doing that all his life.

I think that's pretty much what I missed yesterday. If you can listen see Oregon's link about. It's about 15 minutes and it's good listening.

lothar98zag
02-25-2009, 04:31 PM
thanks 116!

Zag79
02-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Few says guys call all the time for tickets and say things like "tough year" huh, and Few says I don't think so, we're undefeated in league and doing well. He's says it's great fans have so much passion but the fans don't realize winning the league is not a given. A lot of folks thought this might be St. Marys year, Patty or not, they still have guys like Simpson and Samhan, Grier had everyone back from last year, when we played in Portland they were saying it was the biggest game there in 30 years.

the coach is spot on. if i recall, many of the posters that complain about the team "sucking" so much never stated the fellas would be undefeated in wcc play right now. this team is meeting my expectations, and i bet come march they will surpass them!