PDA

View Full Version : What Three Things Must the Zags do to beat Santa Clara

Reborn
02-24-2009, 08:39 AM
1. They will need mental toughness. I think they need to forget the whole season and focus on Thursday night against Santa Clara. They need to understand how important this game is and get ready for the most important game of the season. It's called mental preparation. They will be neither physically or mentally drained. They haven't played for five days. Are they going to let up because they have already been crowned champs. Or will they come out like Zag warriors who are now on a greater mission?

2. The Zags must guard against the 3 pt shot. They can not let three-pointitis set in for the Cowboys. Bryant can not defeat the Zags by himself.

3. The Seniors must continue to step up and play. I really see this happening over the last two weeks. I think these guys realize that this is their time, and they are beginning to really play together. I would really like to see them all continue to show their A game. Each of them has so much to show. I really feel that Pargo, Josh and Micah are really going to dominate.

dim4sum
02-24-2009, 08:52 AM
amplifying on what was just said, Pargo and Gray are the keys in preventing open three point shots. They've got to guard the perimeter better and not be out of position. Downs, with his size, can also be a big factor in contesting the three. Downs, by the way, is starting to pick up some scouting buzz.
If he picks up his intensity and shows better movement without the ball, then he may be a mid-second round pick and be heralded as a bigger, quicker Brent Barry-type.

Zagsker
02-24-2009, 08:56 AM
1) Make it to the gym

2) field at least 5 players

3) score more points than Santa Clara

:D :D

HOOTER
02-24-2009, 09:39 AM
This game shouldn't even be close, period. Gonzaga's talent outweighs Santa Clara's tenfold. The Zags are still far and away the best team in the WCC and if they don't go undefeated (including the conference tourney) it will be a disappointment. I'm anticipating a 20+ point win on Thursday.

SpudDawg
02-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Take the fight to Bryant -- get him off the court with foul trouble, and when he's on the court, make him run, run, run

Get to the free throw line and MAKE THEM

Guard the perimeter on defense

DixieZag
02-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Hooter is right about what "should" happen, but for whatever reason, SCU at home, always plays GU tough. Additionally, SCU has some real motivation going for it, one; they are fairly hot right now, two; they got beat as bad as they have been beaten in a loooong time when they played at GU, three; they lost last year by a fluke/boneheaded play that allowed Steven Gray to get to the foul line and tie the game, and then GU won in overtime.

All that said, GU should win this game b/c of what Hooter said, but they had better be prepared for a war, play this game like it is the most important game of the season (for seeding purposes it might be b/c they would drop like a rock if they lost) and the seniors, as mentioned above, must continue their "flow" that they have captured of late. I think this team is motivated to play at their highest level, I think they still feel the sting of Memphis and want to "win out" badly, to get some respect back.