PDA

View Full Version : Sacre Update

Angelo Roncalli
02-23-2009, 07:05 PM
From Jim Meehan's blog:

Robert Sacre doesnt know if hell be able to play basketball for the Gonzaga Bulldogs again this season, but he intends to find out soon.

Sacre, who has been sidelined since mid-December after re-injuring his surgically repaired right foot, has returned to individual drills. If all goes well, hell probably try to participate in portions of practice later this week.

I should find out more later this week, the 7-foot sophomore center said. Im trying not to rush it. Im taking my time.

The calendar isnt giving Sacre much slack. Gonzaga is down to two West Coast Conference games (at Santa Clara and San Diego this week) and a home date against South Carolina Upstate next Tuesday. Gonzaga opens play in the WCC Tournament in Las Vegas on March 8.

Sacre currently meets the criteria for a medical redshirt. He has played in less than 30 percent of his teams games and he was sidelined before the completion of the first half of the season. The latter provision is what would prevent Sacre from applying for a medical redshirt if he does play in any of Gonzagas remaining games.

I need to see if Im really ready and if I look like Im contributing in practice, he said. Its very difficult. I have to figure it out and know Im making the right call. I dont want to come back and not be ready and not be able to help the team.

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2009/feb/23/decision-time-coming-sacre/

gamagin
02-23-2009, 07:09 PM
very interesting. Since he wasn't operated on, I guess it all comes down to whatever kind of stress tests he can pass, eh ?

thanks for the scoop.

MedZag
02-23-2009, 07:52 PM
My gut is that the foot is fully healed. I think they learned from Josh.

But there's a lot of rust to shake off and a lot of stamina to build up to play D1 ball.

dnj116
02-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Wow, this certainly is a tough call. I put full trust in the staff and Sacre to make the right decision.

On the one hand, he could potentially help us make a deep run in the tourny giving us some much needed depth at the post.
On the other, if we have an early exit, which is entirely possible, this could all be for nothing.

I don't expect to see him come back this season. That's a huge gamble on his part to essentially burn a year of eligability so he may play in a few games with a possibility for a stellar post-season. I guess we'll see....

zagfan16
02-23-2009, 09:56 PM
I really hope that Robert is able to come back and be effective. IF he is I honestly think the team could make a huge run. But at the same time I hope he makes what he feels is the right decision.

cjm720
02-24-2009, 06:54 AM
I love the fact that he WANTS to play, but is being smart about it. Personally, I think Rob would be a huge lift for this team and would certainly help us on the dance floor.

GO ZAGS!!

bigparb
02-24-2009, 08:03 AM
Personally, I'd hate to see Rob waste a year of eligibility by playing 6, 7, and 5 minutes in the NCAA tournament (yeah, I'm calling Sweet 16!!!).

If Fewie plans on giving him 15 min a game that's different.....but I don't think he'd make a big enough difference in the game if he only gets 5 min of PT....

Rob's not leaving early(IMO).....lets keep him for another 3.....He could be a Monster those last two years....

Gufan
02-24-2009, 08:03 AM
I also love the fact that he wants to play, but it does bother me a bit to think of a whole year lost on a player with so much upside. With all the talk about how Josh will be sorely missed next year, I can't help but think that's what we all would be saying about big Rob two years from now if he were to comeback now.
If it were a sure thing to make it to the final four with him and no more than the 2nd round without, then go for it. Unfortunately, even with a healthy Rob, the tournament is too unpredictable to "gamble" with an entire year for a player with Rob's capabilities.
Rob now = unknown difference maker due to health/conditioning
Rob 3 years from now = huge difference maker

zaguarxj
02-24-2009, 08:39 AM
I wonder how serious Ira!'s injury is. That could have an impact on the decision as well.

Zagsker
02-24-2009, 08:49 AM
If he wants to play let him play......you never know when your next "potential" deep run in the tourney will come.

If we are who we think we are (thank you Dennis Green:D ) then we have atleast another year to go out and find a top notch post man to replace that 3rd year we would be missing from Sacre

Zagsker
02-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Rob now = unknown difference maker due to health/conditioning
Rob 3 years from now = huge difference maker

That is a good point

I just operate on the idea that "potential" runs like the one we are supposed to have this year....do not come around very often

BobZag
02-24-2009, 09:31 AM
A very tough decision for Rob. Whatever he decides, I'll support him.

lothar98zag
02-24-2009, 12:04 PM
A very tough decision for Rob. Whatever he decides, I'll support him.
:agreed:

...and now for a little historical example similar to this situation. During Josh's RS freshman year (2nd yr @ GU, just like Sacre) he missed a huge portion of the season due injury. He didn't have the option to RS because he had used his the year before. (This was Adam's Jr year & JPB's Sr year, the UCLA yr)

Here are some stats for Josh when he returned -
Stanford Gameday @ GU:
1 min
5 WCC reg season games:
11.2 min/gm, 4.8 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 44%fg
2 WCC tourney games:
16.0 min/gm, 5.5ppg, 4.0 rpg, 50%fg
1st 2 NCAA games:
5.5min/gm, 1.5ppg, 0.0 rpg, 33%fg
UCLA game:
2min, 0pts, 1 blk, 1 to, 3 fouls

So Josh came back for 11 games to end the season. His addition to the team was some minutes (9th on the team), some points & boards, & some fouls. The team was so dominated by Adam & JP that year, it's hard to say if the results of any of the games would have changed if he hadn't come back. Now for Josh there was no option for a RS, so he was playing one way or the other, but with Rob...

If healthy, is 1 or 2 reg season games, plus 1 or 2 WCC tourney games, plus 1 or more NCAA games worth it? That's maybe, what, just 3 games? Or is it 8+games? IMHO, the less games he plays before the NCAA, the less likely it is he'll see worthwhile minutes in the NCAA's - we've all seen how Few tightens his rotation to end the year. So could he come back to add depth as the 9th man and then GU plays close NCAA games against small finesse teams, reducing Sacre's time to token subs for Josh... But then again, what if it's a bunch of huge &/or physical teams that would be perfect for him...

Ok, I'll stop now, I may have already crossed the line into :horse: territory...

jim77
02-24-2009, 05:52 PM
If this team goes deep they'll wish they had Rob. Rob would give the team a mental boost as well. Not to mention it will force other teams to have to deal with his size. The team comes first...if he's healthy, he should play...the future is now. Either way he's still got 2 years left....plenty of time left to make his mark

roxdoc
02-24-2009, 06:29 PM
Lothar makes a good point - at this stage in the season Few is not going to change his offensive scheme (quite correctly). So if Rob plays, it is as a substitute for Josh (kind of like Will) IF he is ok (and there is some subjectivity to that), IF he can get in meaningful shape in the next two weeks, IF he is not too rusty or inexperienced in the offensive system, IF the team makes a "deep run" will his few minutes make a difference and be worth loosing a full year of eligibility. We all have high hopes and some even rose colored glasses, but the reality is we are betting against long odds and what we are wagering is a full year of a young man's play who is going to have a great career at GU. I can see this last perfectly through my rosey glasses!!

NotoriousZ
02-24-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm hoping Rob can come back, but what's the deadline? He's got back into some kind of game-shape before the tourney starts (NCAA's). If the doctors can't give him the o.k. to come back within a week or so, do you think we'll see him play any more this year?

This isn't a rhetorical question, I really want to know what people think. And when I say people, I mean people with some kind of knowledge of medicine and/or sports-injury expirience.