PDA

View Full Version : San Diego interviews

BobZag
03-21-2007, 10:52 AM
Andy Katz--

UCLA assistant Kerry Keating, USC assistant Gib Arnold and Gonzaga assistant Billy Grier all interviewed for the vacant San Diego job within the past few days.

MDABE80
03-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Would Bill be interviewing if Few was leaving? What do you think? Abe

Nevtelen
03-21-2007, 11:16 AM
While I'd love Grier to have a head coaching job, wouldn't it be wierd having him and Few butt heads twice a year?

4EVERaZAG
03-21-2007, 11:28 AM
No, I want Grier around here especially when Ernie Kent maybe looking into the Michigan job.

NJZag
03-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Andy Katz--

• UCLA assistant Kerry Keating, USC assistant Gib Arnold and Gonzaga assistant Billy Grier all interviewed for the vacant San Diego job within the past few days.

Gib Arnold has already been an assistant in the WCC down in southern Cal, then the head coach at juco CSI in Idaho, then back to Cal with Floyd's staff.

Upside: he can coach
Downside: rolling stone

LA Zag
03-21-2007, 12:22 PM
I for one would like to see a new coach from the outside come into the GU program as long as the coach was a strategic move to bring in a new "toughmindedness" and defensive approach. I am not advocating that Few be displaced, but if say Grier were to leave, I would love to see an assistant from say Pitt come in with some fresh ideas rather than continue to promote from within.

sonuvazag
03-21-2007, 12:25 PM
Are Grier and Few on the same page? Meaning has Few told Grier not to wait in line here?

Frazzle
03-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Or, would you accept a free all expense paid vacation to San Diego if you were in Billy's shoes? Can't say I would turn down the opportunity.

sonuvazag
03-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Or, would you accept a free all expense paid vacation to San Diego if you were in Billy's shoes? Can't say I would turn down the opportunity.

Good point, and I love San Diego weather this time of year, but UGGGHH. Going through an interview with no intent sounds equivalent to sitting through a time share spiel.

Asotin
03-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Would Grier institute the same "smothering" defense at San Diego that he has masterminded at GU? If so it would sure be nice to have the GU shooters get that many open looks in a WCC game.

TexasZagFan
03-21-2007, 01:00 PM
While I'd love Grier to have a head coaching job, wouldn't it be wierd having him and Few butt heads twice a year?

Yes, it would seem strange. I'm not so sure USD fans would be thrilled about Grier, coming from Gonzaga. I sense an anti-Zag bias throughout the WCC.

zag70
03-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Amen Asotin. Right on. We might hit record 3s. or at least have our best night of the year against SD.

almanZAG
03-21-2007, 01:43 PM
If Grier ever thought about a move now is the time! The team he would be taking having home court for the championships & Knowing the favorite inside and out. Thats leveling the playing field.

BobZag
03-21-2007, 02:01 PM
Isn't Long Beach State a better job and the weather equally as nice, plus a fertile talent base in your backyard?

CDC84
03-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Better yet, LBSU is in the Big West...you don't have to face Gonzaga two or three times a year. Pacific is a good program, but they can be unseated.

Nevtelen
03-21-2007, 04:55 PM
You have to believe that is BIG - besides the Grier/Few butting heads thing, you have to think that has a first time head-coach, Grier would want to seriously compete in the league within a year or two, maybe get to the dance. That'd doable in the Big West.

NJZag
03-22-2007, 11:43 AM
According to this local paper, Grier is front-runner at San Diego and Kerry Keating leads as new head coach for Santa Clara.

http://www.presstelegram.com/sports/ci_5492314

Most important message of all in any of this: Few is staying at Gonzaga.

Sure seems to be the message anyway.

drnoe
03-22-2007, 01:44 PM
Isn't Long Beach State a better job and the weather equally as nice, plus a fertile talent base in your backyard?

Sounds like LB State is getting serious...the next coach will receive a package worth up to $250K (Reynolds made $185K). Fundraising and salesmanship will be necessary job requirements. LBSU surprisingly doesn't have a selection donation option for fundraising (donors dictating where their money goes)...I believe they will start doing so to beef up the coffers for men's hoops. The previous AD (Shumard) mostly catered to the women's programs. It could be a good opportunity for Grier.

Wolkster
03-22-2007, 02:16 PM
>Most important message of all in any of this: Few is staying at Gonzaga.

Speculation, but...

If Grier goes to San Diego.
If Kent then goes to Michigan.
Followed by Few going to Oregon.

Would GU bring Dan Monson back?

sonuvazag
03-22-2007, 02:22 PM
>Most important message of all in any of this: Few is staying at Gonzaga.

Speculation, but...

If Grier goes to San Diego.
If Kent then goes to Michigan.
Followed by Few going to Oregon.

Would GU bring Dan Monson back?

Wow. Great mind. I never heard anyone think of this before. It's possible, but I believe Grier would stay and Monson would end up in Cali somewhere.

We have officially entered speculationville. Population 2.

BobZag
03-22-2007, 03:10 PM
I'd lobby hard for this guy:

http://www.highline.edu/stuserv/athletics/MBasketball/coachdawsonpage.html

NJZag
03-22-2007, 05:31 PM
If today's information from Andy Katz is any indication, it looks like Toreros might be close to clinching their new head coach. It might seem strange to watch Grier on sidelines for the Toreros, but it's not unknown to the WCC. Fitz was on the sidelines opposite his former mentor Williams and his former co-assistant Davey over the seasons of the past.

As far as the guy you profiled, BZ ... and if it has come time for Few to start seeing branches spring off a Few Coaching Tree with Grier taking over for a different school ...

Collegiate playing experience is something players relate to in coaches, and this guy would add more of it to the staff. I like it.

Coaching experience in Seattle at high school and community college level means he might have a network of contacts for recruiting. I like it.

Dedication to higher education and Jesuit-educated undergrad. I like it very much.

Last degree came from that Huskies institution? Frisk him as he passes over the Cascades and even that hang-up could pass.

Worked for a few players in the past who did the Dub before seeing the light. :D

ZagDaddy
03-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Sounds like a good character guy but can he teach defense? :confused:

DenDiegoZag
03-22-2007, 06:07 PM
Sounds like a good character guy but can he teach defense? :confused:

I was thinking the same thing...I am beginning to wonder if ANYONE can teach our team defense...

CDC84
03-22-2007, 06:13 PM
Sounds like a good character guy but can he teach defense?

Ask Erroll Knight. He's his former coach.

Dawson's expertise is defense. That's how he wins big at Highline CC. Not only designing defensive schemes, but teaching kids how to play it...the footwork and so forth.

Should Grier or any assistant depart, he's the guy I hope they call first. He's also a skilled recruiter and talent evaluator.

ZagDaddy
03-22-2007, 06:18 PM
Sign him up-- FAST!!:)

Nevtelen
03-22-2007, 06:21 PM
I work at Green River CC and I've seen Highline once this year - they are really tough minded and, if I'm correct, they won the conference this year.

And I know GU has played some bad D in the past, but it really wasn't that bad for most of this year. Not stellar, maybe, but far from bad. We held the majority of our opponents to under 40% shooting.

CDC84
03-22-2007, 06:33 PM
I felt GU played better D this year too. I think having a couple of shotblockers in the middle most of the year helped. The defensive field goal percentage was okay (you should really aim for 38% or so), but there were many times when the team needed to get stops in clutch situations and they were not able to. See the Duke game. And the Dukies sucked on offense this year...it wasn't like GU was guarding Florida or something. They also still allow too many points per game. I know running teams generally give up more points, but I would like to see that figure get lower.

LargeWilliam
03-23-2007, 10:23 AM
So BZ, you back Che to lead a defensive revolution? ;) He is also an immigration lawyer so he could be a great aid in getting those from foreign soil into the country. :D And he has a W over Terrell Brandon head-to-head in an Oregon state championship game. :) And besides all that, he's just a really, really good guy.