PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Patchin lost all credibility today

bigparb
02-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Let me first say that I can barely listen to this guy pontificate about this that and the other (unfortunatley there are not a lot of choices for GU sports talk in Spokane); and my respect for his opinions was already low.

That said, the respect level has gone from low to nada today while listening to him talk about the Zags today........Now, I'm not going to list the 500 things he said in the last year that I also have a problem with, I'm going to instead narrowly focus on today.

They were discussing NBA potential of current Zags and Mr. Patchin starts talking about Daye being the best long-term NBA prospect. Let me say, that I was about to give him some credit for recognizing something as clear as this, when his idiocy proved that it couldn't be held back for more than 10-13 words.

Mr. Patchin said that Daye's freakish athleticism would possibly allow him to play the SG in The League!!!!! Now, I love Austin's game, but he'll be a 3, who if he puts on some weight, might play some 4 depending on the matchups.......Trust me, if KD can't play the 2 in da league; AD won't either.

The fact that Patchin would go on the radio and make such an idiotic statement is beyond me and proves beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he doesn't know shiatsu about GU hoops.......

This may not be an appropriate topic but I had to get it out.......

MDABE80
02-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Let me first say that I can barely listen to this guy pontificate about this that and the other (unfortunatley there are not a lot of choices for GU sports talk in Spokane); and my respect for his opinions was already low.

That said, the respect level has gone from low to nada today while listening to him talk about the Zags today........Now, I'm not going to list the 500 things he said in the last year that I also have a problem with, I'm going to instead narrowly focus on today.

They were discussing NBA potential of current Zags and Mr. Patchin starts talking about Daye being the best long-term NBA prospect. Let me say, that I was about to give him some credit for recognizing something as clear as this, when his idiocy proved that it couldn't be held back for more than 10-13 words.

Mr. Patchin said that Daye's freakish athleticism would possibly allow him to play the SG in The League!!!!! Now, I love Austin's game, but he'll be a 3, who if he puts on some weight, might play some 4 depending on the matchups.......Trust me, if KD can't play the 2 in da league; AD won't either.

The fact that Patchin would go on the radio and make such an idiotic statement is beyond me and proves beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he doesn't know shiatsu about GU hoops.......

KD? Why can't "KD" play the 2? ;)

BobZag
02-23-2009, 04:47 PM
I've never listened. Is the woman still on with him?

MedZag
02-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Dennis Patchin had credibility?

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-23-2009, 05:01 PM
I've never listened. Is the woman still on with him?

She got the hook a while back. KXLY needs to realize that the problem isn't the people they put around Dennis; the problem IS Dennis. I think Keith Osso (did I spell that right?) and "Wingman" are currently riding in the sidecar for the DP show.

I do like Bud Nameck (most of the time), however.

BobZag
02-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Bud has always been a good guy. Even-handed, mature, good perspective, doesn't take everything too seriously... I've always liked Bud. Hudson could do better pregame and postgame radio shows if he listened to Bud's shows a few times, imo.

jbslicer
02-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Nameck does a good job of calling the game.

ZagLawGrad
02-23-2009, 06:38 PM

Wish we could get Dennis back at the mike for the GU radio broadcast. I find him to be a lot more interesting and knowledgeable than most talking heads in this market. And he calls it as he sees it.

Das Zagger
02-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Wish we could get Dennis back at the mike for the GU radio broadcast.

This.

gamagin
02-23-2009, 07:01 PM
but I can't take the local sports chat shows very often. DP has to fill alot of time without much to talk about and I sense a high level of boredom when I listen for a few minutes now and again.

But as pros, they have been on the sports scene for a long time and I think are as good as there has been, and as good as I have seen and heard, in the Spokane market. Bill Denton (Krem tv sports), Dick Wright (GU radio, B tourney announcer), Herb Hunter (voice of the Spokane Indians & recreation artist) come to mind, among hundreds of others.

But I believe both Dennis and Bud may even challenge them in longevity one day. Or at least they are close to challenging those three sports stalwarts, having been in the business since the early '70's.

Tmac5360
02-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Dennis was great at calling games!! I wish he was still there too. As far as the show goes, he has to much of a my way or the highway attitude. Nameck is actually pretty good. Oseo is a major homer but he seems to know his stuff. The other guy (wingman i think it is) is the single worst radio guy I have EVER heard. I heard him talking to the radio guy from UCLA and it was awful that we let him represent our city! The questions he asked were laughable and he put down UCLA numerous times. I can't stand him!

T-bonedazag
02-23-2009, 10:16 PM
Patchin is not a good talk radio guy...and Wingman is by far the WORST person to be on air in the history of sports talk!!!! I could get into specifics but I don't have the time or the desire to talk about him anymore than two sentences.

I like Keith, and Bud is by far the best we have in the area, he actually hired Dennis and Lukens....but we are a small market and these clowns are all we have....Shawn Widnmer..sp?..is on KGA @ 4 and he is not much better....I just listen to my ipod

Go Zags!

4AmericasTeam
02-24-2009, 05:45 AM
Wish we could get Dennis back at the mike for the GU radio broadcast. I find him to be a lot more interesting and knowledgeable than most talking heads in this market. And he calls it as he sees it.

DP was a great broadcaster of GU games--best we've had in the recent NCAA tourney era by far, IMO.

cjm720
02-24-2009, 06:41 AM
I think Daye is more likely to play the 2 than a 4 in the NBA...more of a natural 3 though.

Seattle only has one sports talk radio now. 950 and 850 AM are the same now...sucks.

GO ZAGS!!!

CalZag
02-24-2009, 07:30 AM
She got the hook a while back.

I've been out of Spokane for a few years now, that's the best news I've heard in a while. She was tough to take.

Pargo the Destroyer
02-24-2009, 07:41 AM
Few Cant Guard The 3............

bballbeachbum
02-24-2009, 09:45 AM
Austin sure provides interesting matchup questions, both on O and D, for us and the other teams. As for being a 2,3 4...it depends on the matchups at the time on the floor, and college vs. nba is apples and oranges. I think he could develop to be able, but the traditional 2?

The nba is all about matchups; I can't see him being the power in PF, but I could see him matching up at the 4 vs. a team like Golden State on occassions...if he continues to develop all aspects of his game, always the big qualifier (the passion is there! imo).

A 2? hmmm, let's just say I don't see it as his strength :) Jason Richardson, Raja Bell, Ben Gordon, D Wade, Rae Allen, and on and on and on...there's quite a variety of speed, quicks, hops, gunner, etc. out there. You better be able to get through screens from sideline to sideline, and handle the isolation D, and more, because if you can't, that's all you'll see when on the floor. Good point about Durant bigparb, imo.

But Austin can be a true matchup nightmare for the other guys, we've seen it all year, and he keeps growing into that on this team.

don't know about the local radio shows, but I'd make a small bet that he says these things to get the response!

Fun topic.

GO ZAGS!!!

gu03alum
02-24-2009, 10:01 AM
I used to only listen to ESPN radio and Dennis Patchin, but lately I have really liked 1510. I don't always agree with Mitch in the morning, but he is growing on me. I like that he talks about local teams that I'm interested in. He also has pretty good guests. I always try to listen on Wednesdays when he has Lunardi.

Sometimes I'll be listening to Dennis Patchin and he spends a half hour talking about Spokane racing, the chiefs, the shock, the Indians, or high school football. I could care less about listening to that stuff. I want to hear about the division 1 college teams and the pro teams in Seattle.