PDA

View Full Version : If anyone but Heytvelt

Colbyspapa
02-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Wins WCC Player of the week or month, it is a travesty.

Last week, two games averaged 23pts, 8 boards and had 3 turnovers and 3 personal fouls. Tremendous line.

This month, 17pts, 7 rebs, 1.5 TO, 30 minutes per game. No foul trouble, team player, running the floor and never didn't disappear. He never quit against Memphis and is really making the most of his senior campaign in the WCC.

I'm really proud of Josh. He and Austin are passing to each other, which is something that didn't seem to happen as often early this year. They make each other better.

CDC84
02-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Josh also shot 60% from the floor against LMU and PU.

BobZag
02-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Bouldin could, or someone from another team, like Bryant. It has happened before. But I agree, Josh is sure playing well. I hope he continues to do so vs better competition in the weeks ahead.

Reborn
02-23-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm pulling for Josh for POY in the WCC, and he is definately deserving, if he continues to play as he is now. Josh is becoming the most improved player on the Zags' team, imo. Week to week I see him posting up down low more and more and developing new shots, and new skills (passing). I think he has shown how hard he has worked this year on his game. He now is shooting a left handed hook as well. Too many posters, and analysts are missing this point I think. He is many taking 1 or 2 three's a game. And I think he's the best foul shooter on the team right now. If anyone on the Zag's team is helping himself make it to the NBA it's Josh. There is one more area of his game that really needs to improve I think and that is rebounding. I think he's getting better. I am seeing him beginning to block out more, and that's good. But more importantly, learning how to predict where the ball is going to bounce off the rim, and getting to that spot. An awful lot of rebounded is geometry, learning to see and read the angles.

Oh! I almost forgot. Josh is the One carrying the flame to the Zag fire.

MDABE80
02-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Josh/Matt both deserving. I'd pick Josh because of his league performance. Plus GU wins the league. He's come back from personal adversity and physical adveristy. He's done everything asked of him..and more.

His WCC performance data looks as good as any big we've had. If he doesn't win, I'd be surprised. Bryant has dominated though. SC didn't win much.

HillBillyZag
02-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Thus far in most of his career he has been a classic underachiever. Now he performs like a pivot man should and is a candidate for all world. The truth is, with his size and skills he should have been playing like this his entire career (when healthy). Right now he is mainly DOING HIS JOB which is what is expected of him. If this metamorphisis continues thru the conference tourney and into the NCAA I will happily scream that he deserves accolades and rewards.. Until then, hopefully he just keeps it up. We need him at his best EVERY game.

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Bryant's numbers speak for themselves, but I've always wondered what sort of stats he'd have if he played for GU. In a similar vein, sometimes I wonder what sort of numbers Josh or Austin would have if they played for SCU. IMO, Bryant is still beast on the glass if he's a Zag, but his offensive numbers would go where down. Right now, JB gets lots of touches down low which translates into his 18 pts/game. But at GU he wouldn't even be even one of the top three scoring threats (Matt, Josh, and Austin are all better offensive players). Meanwhile, Josh and Austin's pts/game would go through the roof if they were at SCU. They have more versatility than JB, so they'd likely be even more effective on offense.

Nevtelen
02-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Not to mention Josh has really been hitting his FTs. Very very solid all-around play by Josh recently. Besides his rebounding, which is improving, he's been extremely solid all year. Perhaps the 1 guy on the team who has never taken a game off.

Frazzle
02-23-2009, 12:08 PM
Josh is playing well, but my money is on Bouldin, if a GU player gets the award. For others in the WCC, Josh still has a little baggage. If not a GU player, I think Bryant would get the award.

bballbeachbum
02-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Josh and John Bryant will have their opportunity to express themselves directly on Thursday. Looking forward to watching that (Will may have something to say in that one as well, imo); Matt's in the conversation to me, too.

still 2 games to go in the month to help us all decide things :)

2011Zag
02-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Fatman wins. My dislike of him has now risen to the Jimmy Miggens and Jason Keep level.

zaguarxj
02-23-2009, 04:14 PM
I think the injury to Sacre has forced Josh to become a better defender. Instead of leaving his feet going for the block and getting fouls, he's playing for position and staying on the ground. I think he's had to be more conservative to avoid fouling out, since the Zags are so thin up front (literally and figuratively) and that's made him a better defender.

FieldHouseFishHouse
02-23-2009, 06:08 PM
I'm pulling for Josh for POY in the WCC, and he is definately deserving,

It is difficult to compare JH and MB becuase of position, but I would say they are about even in the WCC POY running. MB has had a couple below average games in league play. JH has been more consistent. I give the edge to JH because his worst games were not that bad. There seems to be a tradition in the WCC of awarding POY to (a zag, just kidding) somone at the top of the league. We saw this with Sean Dennison (SCU), when they were poised to win the regular season. We saw it last year as well. Pargo was far from a sure thing, with the season that Lowhorn (USF) had.
Bottom line: I think JH and MB split the GU votes, and John Bryant sneaks in for POY. JH/MB-4 votes John Bryant-4 votes

Ziggy
02-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Just saw that Omar the Hamhand got this weeks POW for his two DD's. has Josh ever gotten a player of the week or month?

Zag79
02-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Josh is playing well, but my money is on Bouldin, if a GU player gets the award.

how do u figure? matty is my pick for next year but this season he has less points, less rebounds, and less conisitency. bryant and josh are more deserving, and since GU is the best team it should be josh.

cjm720
02-24-2009, 07:26 AM
how do u figure? matty is my pick for next year but this season he has less points, less rebounds, and less conisitency. bryant and josh are more deserving, and since GU is the best team it should be josh.

I think there's easily an argument that Bouldin would get POY over Heytvelt. If looking at just stats, Bouldin has more assists and steals than JOsh, and shoots the 3 at around 43%.

More importantly, IMO, is that Bouldin has stepped up and been the leader of this team and has been very consistent, especially against top competition. Way to go Bouldin!!!

Josh should get Player of the Week, for sure.

GO ZAGS!!

Frazzle
02-24-2009, 07:58 AM

Well, I certainly like the way Josh is playing, but Bouldin has been playing pretty darn good too. Even when Bouldin is not lighting it up offensively he still plays hard and does the little things quite well. I really enjoy watching the guy play of late because he does not take plays off and goes so strong to the hole. In fact, just last game against Pepp he went straight down the lane, got fouled by 2 different players, and still made the shot (and one). Matt has stepped up his toughness this year and is very deserving of the POY award, as is Josh. However, I could see the WCC make a political decision to refrain from awarding Josh POY because of his off-the-court activities two years ago. We may think Josh has antoned but others might view it differently.

EngineerZag
02-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Just saw that Omar the Hamhand got this weeks POW for his two DD's

Did you say that on purpose?!? :D

Zag79
02-24-2009, 09:41 PM
More importantly, IMO, is that Bouldin has stepped up and been the leader of this team and has been very consistent, especially against top competition. Way to go Bouldin!!!

interesting thought. against top competition? i would say its the other way around. aside from tennessee matt has had subpar games against the good teams we have faced. he had 6 against memphis, josh 11. matt had 8 against utah, josh had 10. against uconn matt had 6 and josh had 15.and finally against maryland, matt had 8 and josh had 22. so in reality, matt feasts on the smaller, less skilled wcc players to inflate his numbers and josh gets it done no matter the team. this is again where biased eyes have nothing on reality. and look, im not hating just comparing. i love matty, i know the dude and will say hes the wcc mvp next year. but take away josh and we are nothing this year. the big guy deserves it.

cjm720
02-25-2009, 07:44 AM
interesting thought. against top competition? i would say its the other way around. aside from tennessee matt has had subpar games against the good teams we have faced. he had 6 against memphis, josh 11. matt had 8 against utah, josh had 10. against uconn matt had 6 and josh had 15.and finally against maryland, matt had 8 and josh had 22. so in reality, matt feasts on the smaller, less skilled wcc players to inflate his numbers and josh gets it done no matter the team. this is again where biased eyes have nothing on reality. and look, im not hating just comparing. i love matty, i know the dude and will say hes the wcc mvp next year. but take away josh and we are nothing this year. the big guy deserves it.

I've always been unsure if you look at just conference play or the entire season when discussing a POY candidate. My assessment is that Matt has been our best player against top competition in the WCC. Josh has come on strong as of late and probably has the most difficult role on the offense (wrong position, less depth, cog, etc.) but I contend Matt is our MVP. He leads the team in minutes and is coach Few's go-to-guy...stats don't tell all. I can't see Josh getting POY over Bouldin, but could see J. Bryant sneak out the trophy, especially if SCU pulls off an upset. Here's the breakdown of both Matt and Josh's stats (pts, rbds, assts) for inconfrence games (with top half conference foes highlighted).

Portland 1 - Matt 14, 2, 6; Josh 14, 3, 1 - Wash
SCU 1 - Matt 16, 5, 4; Josh 11, 6, 0 - Matt
SF 1 - Matt 1 12, 3, 3; Josh 6,9,0 (2 blk) - Matt
PEPP 1 - Matt1 14, 3, 10; Josh 25, 9, 3 - Josh
LMU 1 - Matt 18, 6,1; Josh 15, 6, 2 - Matt
SMC 1 - Matt 17, 4, 2; Josh 9, 5. 1 - Matt
USD 1 - Matt 9, 4, 0; Josh 13, 9, 0 - Josh
Portland 2 - Matt 26, 2, 8 (3 stls); Josh 15, 4, 0 - Matt
SMC 2 - Matt 21, 2, 3 (3 stls); Josh 20, 10 - Wash
SF 2 - Matt 11, 4 4; Josh 10,5,0 - Wash
LMU 2 - 4,2,3; Josh; 18,5,1 - Josh
PEPP 2 - 16,6,4 (3sts); Josh 28,11,2 - Josh