PDA

View Full Version : New Bracketology

theirishzag03
02-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Lunardi is a joke!!!

Zags win big at home twice and we stay a 6 and now moved to Philly??? A 2nd round game against Villinova in Philly...NOT GOOD! They looked great against Syracuse yesterday. Xavier loses at home to Charlotte and remain a #5...WV and Washington still #5's???
Michigan State still a #3???

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

Oh well, maybe we will have to earn our respect this year!

MDABE80
02-23-2009, 08:53 AM
Worse....UW loses and GU wins both but UW moves ahead in the rankings and seeding. It's magical.

johnwzag
02-23-2009, 08:53 AM
Lunardi is a joke!!!

You think you could do better year in and year out? I don't think so.
I think he does a good job.

rennis
02-23-2009, 08:56 AM

Agreed. Lunardi is just basing it on our RPI plummeting, not because he doesn't know we blew out two teams.

thibaulm
02-23-2009, 08:57 AM

But this is suppost to be his bread and butter. He gets paid for this

vaboris
02-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Do you think it's that far fetched that the Zags get a 6 seed in the dance?

tenniszag
02-23-2009, 09:03 AM
But this is suppost to be his bread and butter. He gets paid for this

Lunardi has been wrong on 2 teams not making the tourney in the past 8 years or something crazy like that. So he has gotten the entire field correct six out of the last eight. He obviously knows his stuff. And I don't think he pays too close of attention to the location he has teams playing outside of making sure the 1 and 2 seeds are in the correct region. He is more concerned about the teams he has in and their seeds.

theirishzag03
02-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Do you think it's that far fetched that the Zags get a 6 seed in the dance?

I am not going to say we deserve a #1 seed, but for crying out loud I have also seen the teams getting 3-4-5 seeds each week and I am not impressed. BCS schools are easily forgiven for a bad game or two, the Zags got smoked by one of the hottest team in the country in Memphis. Teams ahead of us got blasted by unranked teams and they do not get punished at all.

I am just saying, we were ranked as high as 4th, won a tough preseason tourney, and losses at Utah and Arizona are not turning out to be bad.
Look at the UConn game just as much as Memphis to gauge our team!

I think Sagarin has it little more accurate.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkt0809.htm

Also not saying I would do a better job year in and year out as Joe does, but part of him being in the public eye and doing this as HIS job is being subjected to public scrutiny.

thibaulm
02-23-2009, 09:16 AM
I am not going to say we deserve a #1 seed, but for crying out loud I have also seen the teams getting 3-4-5 seeds each week and I am not impressed. BCS schools are easily forgiven for a bad game or two, the Zags got smoked by one of the hottest team in the country in Memphis. Teams ahead of us got blasted by unranked teams and they do not get punished at all.

I am just saying, we were ranked as high as 4th, won a tough preseason tourney, and losses at Utah and Arizona are not turning out to be bad.
Look at the UConn game just as much as Memphis to gauge our team!

I think Sagarin has it little more accurate.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkt0809.htm

Also not saying I would do a better job year in and year out as Joe does, but part of him being in the public eye and doing this as HIS job is being subjected to public scrutiny.

I do agree with this but when push comes to shove, i think that the Memphis loss will affect us negatively more than putting UConn into OT will affect us positively.

strawzag
02-23-2009, 09:25 AM
First round win over Minnesota sounds familiar, if it can bring the same results the second time i will take it! Sounds like a nice 10 year reunion trip to the elite 8.

siliconzag
02-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Lunardi has been wrong on 2 teams not making the tourney in the past 8 years or something crazy like that. So he has gotten the entire field correct six out of the last eight. He obviously knows his stuff. And I don't think he pays too close of attention to the location he has teams playing outside of making sure the 1 and 2 seeds are in the correct region. He is more concerned about the teams he has in and their seeds.

Lunardi is uncanny. Nobody can expect him to get the locations and seedings exactly right, but he is very good in predicting. I believe that the Zags will end up in the West but who knows? Sometimes the committee does make ups for previous injustice. Example, after sending us to Albequerque against Wyoming, they sent us to SLC. Maybe after sending us to Carolina to play Davidson, they will have us in Portland or Boise.

The tournaments can change things dramatically in terms of seeding. In fact UNC is already in danger of losing a 1 Seed. Kansas is coming on, and who knows what gives at Oklahoma and Mr. Griffin. If Mr. Griffin is out for a concussion (sometimes Neurologists bench kids for 3 months or more after a head injury, depending on the clinical symptomatology, which is not good at present), then OU is suddenly vulnerable. (I see no way the Zags could defeat that team incidentally).

My guess is that there will be a surprise 1 Seed. I think it might be Memphis. But wait until the Big 12 Tournament, if KU wins it, they might sneak in there too. Same for Mizzou. If they win the tournament and run the table, they might be a 1 Seed. It is getting very interesting. Wish I had been in Vegas on Saturday morning. I think I would have won a lot of money.

Sili

theothegreat21
02-23-2009, 09:34 AM
This is not Lunardi's projection....if you read on the right, this is the brakcet that was come up with by a group of people from ESPN and the NCAA.

CDC84
02-23-2009, 09:35 AM
http://villanova.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/nova-m-baskbl-sched.html

Villanova usually splits its home games between their on campus gym and the Wachovia Center. The Wildcats this season, however, are only playing 3 games at the Center so that they can be eligible to play at that venue for the NCAA tournament. Their other "big" off campus games were played at the Wachovia Spectrum, which is scheduled to be torn down soon.

Jakester425
02-23-2009, 09:46 AM
I dont see Xavier & West Virginia as 5 seeds...but what do I know. Lets just win our conference tournament and I think we will have one of those 5 seeds in Portland with our name on it.

Reborn
02-23-2009, 09:52 AM
Lunardi is uncanny. I believe that the Zags will end up in the West but who knows? Sili

I agree. We are either the First, second or third best team out West. In the end I feel that the Zags will be rewarded if we win out. I think we'll play in either Portland or Boise, and hopefully play a Pac 10 team. I think it's a perfect matchup for the #4 vs #5 seeds in the West Regional. As far as Joe Lunardi goes, his claim to fame is being able to predict who gets into the tournament. Not as famous for predicting either their seeds or where they play. This isn't the Bible for the Brackets. It's just something fun to review and talk about each week. It can also be used to motivate teams, and certainly I hope it motivates the Zags to get ready for this week-end. Two huge games await them.

oregongufan
02-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Didn't UDUB lose to Portland? The Pac-10 is down. Washington hasn't earned a higher seed. (bring it on Mr P)

MedZag
02-23-2009, 10:10 AM

Exactly. Lunardi is crazy good at nailing seedings and bubble teams. But he frequently gets locations wrong. I think its because he doesn't think it matters nearly as much for his projections.

former1dog
02-23-2009, 10:13 AM
To the OP, I think it is a mistake to take personal offense at what amounts to a mathematical guess.

krozman
02-23-2009, 10:31 AM
This entire thread makes zero sense. The latest bracket is not a true bracket at all, but a mock bracket based on a lot of strange things happening (like Georgetown winning 5 games in 5 days). The fact that lunardi put this bracket in the bracketology section makes me confused, but seriously, read the article before posting

DoMieD
02-23-2009, 10:36 AM
lol He's got Minnesota, Washington, and Georgetown winning their Conference Tournaments..

Anyway, we're one of the best in the west, but if we want a higher seed, we can't lose to Utah, and Portland State, plain and simple.

MedZag
02-23-2009, 10:38 AM
lol He's got Minnesota, Washington, and Georgetown winning their Conference Tournaments..

Lunardi doesn't make assumptions about who wins the conference tournament. He automatically awards it to whoever is #1 in the conference at the time based on record.

That being said, like was stated earlier, this bracketology is not Lunardi's, but a compilation of various ESPN reporters.

former1dog
02-23-2009, 10:41 AM

Anyway, we're one of the best in the west, but if we want a higher seed, we can't lose to Utah, and Portland State, plain and simple.

Utah, it turns out, wasn't such a bad loss. They have won all but 2 games since playing us and are most likely going to be the regular season Mountain West Champions.

Point is, they are a good team.

DoMieD
02-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Lunardi doesn't make assumptions about who wins the conference tournament. He automatically awards it to whoever is #1 in the conference at the time based on record.

That being said, like was stated earlier, this bracketology is not Lunardi's, but a compilation of various ESPN reporters.

Georgetown is 5-9 in the Big East..

Minnesota is 8-7 in the Big 10..

Obviously neither team is #1 in its conference.

theirishzag03
02-23-2009, 10:53 AM
To the OP, I think it is a mistake to take personal offense at what amounts to a mathematical guess.

probably right! It is the enormous chip on my shoulder.

However, if I had titled the thread "Zags don't deserve a #6 seed" And followed that by saying we got crushed by Memphis and lost to PSU. We should be a #8 or #9 seed. All the Pollys would have come to the Zags defense and said exactly what I did. If it is just a mathematical guess this statement would not be on the site....., "this is the bracket come up with by a group of people from ESPN and the NCAA."

former1dog
02-23-2009, 11:08 AM
probably right! It is the enormous chip on my shoulder.

Chips are good. Would you like some chipotle salsa with that? ;)

theirishzag03
02-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Chips are good. Would you like some chipotle salsa with that? ;)

Yes PLEASE! and make it spicy and add a Grande Margarita with a float of Disaronno!

http://www.valleytalk.net/showthread.php?p=17205

"It's not hard to get 62 of 65 right when on the last bracket he posts (at arouund 5:00 PM) he's looking at the official brackets.

How do I know this? Because this year...for TWO WEEKS leading up to the NCAA Selection Show, Lunardi had 5 Valley teams in the NCAA's and had MSU comfortably in the tournament and his last bracket that was posted at 4:35 PM had MSU out and Air Force in. He cheats. I used to be impressed by his level of knowledge, but it appears that he cheats to get his final spots."

Akzag
02-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Georgetown is 5-9 in the Big East..

Minnesota is 8-7 in the Big 10..

Obviously neither team is #1 in its conference.

Please read the explanation provided here (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3927895) , that accompanied the bracket in question.

For the past couple of years, "The" Committee has opened its doors to various media members in a mock bracket. They then have a mock Selection Weekend where they sit around and pick out the probable members of the field ... THEN ... they throw them curveballs, just as the real-life conference tournaments do each year (see: Georgia last year). In this exercise -

Florida and Georgetown made lengthy runs to win the SEC and Big East tournaments, respectively. The Hoyas became the first team ever to win five games in five days to secure their automatic bid.

Minnesota defeated Illinois for the Big Ten championship. The Gophers likely would have missed the field otherwise.

These curveballs are meant to simulate the real-life adjustments that the committee must make on the fly, often with just hours remaining before the field must be finalized.

In the coming days, expect more articles like this from the other participating media folks.

DoMieD
02-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Please read the explanation provided here (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3927895) , that accompanied the bracket in question.

For the past couple of years, "The" Committee has opened its doors to various media members in a mock bracket. They then have a mock Selection Weekend where they sit around and pick out the probable members of the field ... THEN ... they throw them curveballs, just as the real-life conference tournaments do each year (see: Georgia last year). In this exercise -

These curveballs are meant to simulate the real-life adjustments that the committee must make on the fly, often with just hours remaining before the field must be finalized.

In the coming days, expect more articles like this from the other participating media folks.

Nice

Das Zagger
02-23-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm somewhat surprised they let ND in. I realize that they "made the quarterfinals" but right now their RPI is in the 70s while 1-7 against top 25 teams.

Akzag
02-24-2009, 12:41 AM
Katz' article (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=katz_andy) regarding this Mock Bracket exercise.

Baldwinzag
02-24-2009, 09:23 AM
6th seed or higher, Lunardi's last bracket is the most favorable match-ups the Zags could ask for in the Tourney.

First Round: #11 Minnesota
2nd Round: #3 Marquette
Sweet Sixteen: #2 Clemson
Elite 8: #1 UConn

Based on the match-ups, I'd rather be the 6th seed over a 4 or 5 in that particular region. If this were the offiical seedings, the Zags couldn't ask for a better bracket.

If we win out, we're nearly "guaranteed" either a 4,5,6 seed. As long as we're not a 8 or 9 seed, I could care less about our actual seed. At this point, it will be all about whom we are facing and less about seeding. As the 11 and 12 seed opponents are going to be comparable in quality.

sdzag
02-24-2009, 09:29 AM
I prefer not the 7,8,9 seed because then you have to go through a 1 or 2 seed in the second round. I would love to see a 6 seed.

dpouley
02-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Worse....UW loses and GU wins both but UW moves ahead in the rankings and seeding. It's magical.

How is it that you fail to comprehend that the UW is number one in the Pac10 and therefore will remain at a decent seed?

Did you read Andy Katz the last couple of days? He said that the UW is the best team in the west, yet will only receive a 5 seed. I think that the overall lack of a strong team coming out of the west is securing UW a pretty decent seed. But honestly, what type of seed do you think that UW deserves? Why is a five to high/low? The UW has a very good RPI, SOS, and are leading a major conference. No matter how much you hate them they have a very decent resume.

dpouley
02-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Didn't UDUB lose to Portland? The Pac-10 is down. Washington hasn't earned a higher seed. (bring it on Mr P)

RPI 19
SOS 24
Number one in the Pac10

Use your brains people.

vaboris
02-24-2009, 01:44 PM
6th seed or higher, Lunardi's last bracket is the most favorable match-ups the Zags could ask for in the Tourney.

First Round: #11 Minnesota
2nd Round: #3 Marquette
Sweet Sixteen: #2 Clemson
Elite 8: #1 UConn

Based on the match-ups, I'd rather be the 6th seed over a 4 or 5 in that particular region. If this were the offiical seedings, the Zags couldn't ask for a better bracket.

If we win out, we're nearly "guaranteed" either a 4,5,6 seed. As long as we're not a 8 or 9 seed, I could care less about our actual seed. At this point, it will be all about whom we are facing and less about seeding. As the 11 and 12 seed opponents are going to be comparable in quality.

This post was a awesome read. Already thinking about possible 3rd and 4th round match-ups. Keep 'em comin' man..