PDA

View Full Version : Msnbc: No one from West will reach Sweet 16

FuManShoes
02-23-2009, 08:35 AM
Could be right, could be wrong, but it still seems odd to me that the most "western" team on this guy's list is Oklahoma (or is it Louisville? - I flunked geography).

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/6846464/

LongIslandZagFan
02-23-2009, 08:57 AM
Honestly, what team in the west deserves to be a top 4 seed? That is all he is projecting here, top 4 seeds in each region.

MDABE80
02-23-2009, 10:04 AM
He pick UW to be a 4 seed in the West. Why? I dunno. For some reason, Romar breathes and the media rewards him.
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/6846464/?pg=17#spt_sweet16_seedings

TheReasonableZag
02-23-2009, 11:10 AM
He pick UW to be a 4 seed in the West. Why? I dunno. For some reason, Romar breathes and the media rewards him.
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/6846464/?pg=17#spt_sweet16_seedings

Or it could be that UW's RPI is 19 and they are atop the Pac 10. Not sure I'd seed them 4th myself, but its an objectively defensible position.

B Wayne
02-23-2009, 11:18 AM
The west is a bit lame this year. Just look at us..our best win of the year is against a mediocre Tennessee team, or possibly a Patty Mill-less
St Mary's.

Reborn
02-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Well. It certainly helps if you send the team that is possibly the West's #1 team out to Philly in the same pod with Villanova who is essentially playing at home. Let's put the Zags in Portland, and see how hight we go. My prediction is that if we do get to either Boise or Portland, the Zags will make it to the Sweet 16. Send Villanova out here to Portland or Boise and let's see how THEY feel? After reviewing their season, I see that DON'T play so well on the road. They have no significant wins on the road in conference for sure. They lost to UCONN, MARQUETTE, WEST VIRGINIA (by 21). Oh there is one team they beat on the road, (sorry) Syracuse last weekend (in OT I think). Flynn had a horrible game. They have two signiaficant losses at home, Louisville and Texas (who's not even ranked in top 30). Here is the key to why their record isn't worse. They DON'T PLAY at Pitt (yes they did beat Pitt at home), at Louisville, nor at Cincinnati. I'd give them 3 more losses, and I think you see a #6 or #7 seed Like UCLA. So pollsters. Let's be fair about the Big East. They are not a true conference where you play home and home games. And the same is true for the Big 12.

So, maybe the solution for all teams is to join with other conferences so we have 12-18 teams in the conference and we don't have to play home and home games so we can get our ranking up higher.

FuManShoes
02-23-2009, 11:38 AM
OK, I guess I figured out my problem. If the question is, should a team from the West be seeded higher than 5th in any region, then no, maybe there isn't anyone at this point who has disntiguished themself that much (though I would argue the Pac 10 leaders have done more than say, Purdue. If the question is, will a team from the West reach the Sweet 16, then I would bank on it. The West is bad, but crazy things happen and someone from the badlands is escaping the first weekend.

LongIslandZagFan
02-23-2009, 12:25 PM
OK, I guess I figured out my problem. If the question is, should a team from the West be seeded higher than 5th in any region, then no, maybe there isn't anyone at this point who has disntiguished themself that much (though I would argue the Pac 10 leaders have done more than say, Purdue. If the question is, will a team from the West reach the Sweet 16, then I would bank on it. The West is bad, but crazy things happen and someone from the badlands is escaping the first weekend.

I completely agree with you on everything in this post. Kinda figured you may may have been misreading it.

willandi
02-23-2009, 12:46 PM
The article IS the top four seeds in each region, not the sweet sixteen teams. It is indicative, to me, of the problems with preseason and early season rankings. If you start with the premise that the ACC and Big East have the best teams, then win or lose, your RPI is good, and your rankings are good. If you lose, you don't drop as far.
That being said, Gonaga probably should not have been a top 5 team, in the early season. But they have shown that, despite their losing stretch, they are a team to be concerned with. The consecutive wins should count for something. If rankings and RPI are based on wins and losses, of you, the teams you play and their record aginst the teams they play... it gets too confusing for me. If you win you should go up, and if you lose down.
My biggest beef is that there is no accountability in the media. If you print that article, and it ends up being substantially off, then there should be some repercussions for the writer, not a free pass, a do-over or a whoops!!
Will