PDA

View Full Version : Austin Daye video

wazZag
03-21-2007, 09:24 AM
Austin Daye video, may have already been posted:

http://www.krem.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=123802&catId=218

Nevtelen
03-21-2007, 09:27 AM
So about that question of whether we'll have anyone who can create their own shot... Austin says yes. :)

TexasZagFan
03-21-2007, 09:38 AM
So he made a few moves on a few slow, white boys. I'm not impressed. Since we're not playing UW next year, he won't have a chance to play against slower white boys.

This kid's obviously over-rated!.

:jk:

:lmao:

Seriously - welcome to Zagland, Austin!!! You're nothing but :000tens:

tyra
03-21-2007, 09:47 AM
Is there a way I can edit out my earlier post about who we will have next year that can create a shot from outside? Austin looks like the real deal and then some. My only question: Isn't it time for someone to put up that count down clock until next season starts?

sdzag
03-21-2007, 10:37 AM
I like that they showed him actually passing the ball. Except one of the passes the kid got swatted hard! Future looks bright for this future Zag!

CDC84
03-21-2007, 10:52 AM
In the game that I saw, the friend that I was with counted at least 6 assists that were blown by his teammates that would've made into buckets by competent D-1 scorers.

There is very little that Austin can't do on the basketball floor, but he has to get bulk on him to maximize his potential. He won't score in the lane, defend and rebound with the prowess he does now until he gets meat on his bones.

finechina2003
03-21-2007, 12:52 PM
What is most impressive about this video? When you consider Austin's height and length, it is very impressive how well he handles and passes the ball. Very rare! Truly incredible! This video just reinforces my selection of Daye as the player that I am most excited to see next year.

surfmonkey89
03-21-2007, 01:48 PM
This kid is clearly a project.

TR11Zag
03-21-2007, 01:56 PM

Now that is funny.

UberZagFan
03-21-2007, 02:19 PM
It's always interesting watching a high school game where you have a kid playing "point center"!

lothar98zag
03-21-2007, 02:23 PM
In the game that I saw, the friend that I was with counted at least 6 assists that were blown by his teammates that would've made into buckets by competent D-1 scorers.

There is very little that Austin can't do on the basketball floor, but he has to get bulk on him to maximize his potential. He won't score in the lane, defend and rebound with the prowess he does now until he gets meat on his bones.
How many rebounds did uberskiny Durant have this year?

(not saying that Daye would/could do the same, just that he might be able to do more inside than we think)

CDC84
03-21-2007, 02:31 PM
Austin is skinnier than Durant. The other thing is that Durant is more athletic and has a larger wingspan than Austin. Durant has a 7-5 wingspan, Austin might have a 7-0 if he's lucky.

He's very frail. Maybe not as frail as Poling, but very frail. I think he will be an impact player at Gonzaga next year, but he's not likely to start being dominant until he builds bulk........

RebornZag
03-21-2007, 02:31 PM
See what I mean by "cat quick." And the kid can go both ways with a brilliant cross-over dribble, he can go to the rack, or pull up and shoot the jumper any place on the court. Plus he is 6'10" tall. Downs at 6'8", and Daye at 6'10". Skinny though...Ok!~ You want a wing that needs some bulk because your skinny guys are getting beat up....OK...lets send in Ira Brown. 6'4" 235 and can leap out of the gym. He's pargo in his build, but just a little bigger sized muscles...and is 6'4". And I think Ira can shoot the 3 better then Pargo from what I've heard. I think Ira Brown would have handled Wilmont from Indiana. Bouldin was too slow, or too something that's for sure. I have NOT been impressed with Bouldin's defense, and I feel this needs to be addressed. His defense killed us, I think, in all our losses. He is not quick on the close out, and guys get their shots off before he gets there..

CDC84
03-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Most freshmen struggle with defense, and I think Bouldin's issues on D this year were largely freshman type mistakes. That being said, I think Bouldin has enough quickness, and he certainly has the physical body, to be a solid defender in the future with experience and instruction. I think he has the ability to be a better defender than Stepp, Dickau and some of the other guards GU has had.

Nevtelen
03-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Bouldin is no road-runner, but he has the quickness to be a good defender (and the height and athleticism, too). I agree with CDC - you'd see Bouldin slacking off on D too much one possession and then the next time, he'd close out too quick and plow his man over. In a way, some of his mistakes remind me of Pendo's mistakes on D last year. I thought both of them had to do with quickness, but now I think it's just timing and position. Hopefully Bouldin will get better at those things in the off-season.

Bocco
03-21-2007, 05:13 PM

So that means we have two projects - Gray and Daye - if they are projects I'll take 11 more!!

BobZag
03-21-2007, 05:20 PM
Austin is skinnier than Durant.

Physically impossible, I say. Durant = Twiggy.

Nevtelen
03-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Just thinking about Austin... he's gonna be fantastic, but I wonder how much his lack of strength will limit him next year. Didn't someone (maybe CDC, in that scouting report?) say that Austin isn't really a great 3-pt shooter, that he's really a mid-range guy? That could be tough going in D-I unless he gets more muscle fast. Plus, the blocks, defense, et al will be a lot harder. I'd be happy if he looked like Micah did towards the end of this year. And even Micah had some problems this year with strength and finishing in or even near the paint. I have no doubt that in 2 years Austin will be a breakout player for us. I just wonder about how tough a transition D-I will be for him.

MiamiZags
03-22-2007, 12:00 AM
Physically impossible, I say. Durant = Twiggy.

Didn't they say Durant actually gained 20 lbs since arriving on campus?? Imagine that!

TexasZagFan
03-22-2007, 03:15 AM
Didn't they say Durant actually gained 20 lbs since arriving on campus?? Imagine that!

That's what good ole' Texas BBQ will do for you! :D

MiamiZags
03-22-2007, 10:10 AM
That's what good ole' Texas BBQ will do for you! :D

mmm I agree, save me some of that brisket will ya?