PDA

View Full Version : I Hope You Have Enjoyed These Guys!

El Voce
02-23-2009, 08:31 AM
I sincerely hope that you have enjoyed (and appreciated) these guys -- our five seniors whose careers at Gonzaga are rapidly winding down.

There has been so much fixation this season by too many Zag fans on such Internet clutter issues like body language, dissension speculation, unrealistic expectations, questions of toughness, etc, ad infinitum. It leads a reasonable person to conclude that many, many people in Zag Nation have gotten so caught up in minutiae that they have missed the big picture.

Here our Zags sit, 12-0 in league with a chance to become the third Zag team to run the table in WCC play. That is a big deal, and our five seniors have all played their parts in making it possible. It is time, I think, to step back and appreciate what our seniors have done for this program, and (equally important) what this program has done for them.

Jeremy Pargo moved a couple thousand miles out of his comfort zone four years ago, and discovered a culture that must have seemed totally alien to him. Yet, we now see him as the team leader that he has become, a person who seems to be 100% comfortable in the Gonzaga culture.

Josh Heytvelt was probably immature when he arrived at Gonzaga. And he compounded that a couple years later with a really stupid mistake. But rather than shrink away after his very public humiliation, it seems that, instead, he has matured into a man thankful for the second chance he was given.

By all accounts, Micah Downs was very fragile emotionially when he arrived on the GU campus after his transfer. He appears to have beaten back his demons, and seems to be the emotional leader of this team right now. My wife and I have noticed that he actually smiles once in a while now, and we are very happy to see him enjoying himself on the basketball court.

Ira Brown returned to the city where he once played professional baseball, and provides a lot of leadership to our Zags. He knows his role on the team, and is a great example for his younger teammates to emulate. We've all watched him play for two years, and there has never been a time that he hasn't hustled and competed when he was on the court.

Andrew Sorenson is the ultimate Zag. Nuff said!

If you are among those who have gotten so wrapped up in the trivial that you haven't taken the time to appreciate these kids, then it's your loss. But fret not, as there is still time to take a moment, sit back, and reflect on how well these young men have represented our school.

Go Zags!

johnwzag
02-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Agreed. I am going to miss this team. It is special.

TacomaZAG
02-23-2009, 09:51 AM
We have really taken these guys for granted during their tenure here. All have represented the University very well, and we won't realize just how valuable they were until they are gone.

IMO, the guy we are really going to miss next year is Josh. No one on the roster for next year possesses his combination of size and skills, especially running the floor. I can see the threads for next year already.......Sacre is a good banger but can't run the floor or score from outside 5 feet.........Poling is too skinny and can't bang, he's soft...........Man I miss Josh.......

Jeremy's leadership will also be sorely missed, he has been a little off at times this year, but comparitively he has been a great PG here at "Guard U". More threads for next year........Meech is out of control..........Matt/Steven can't run the point..............Man I miss JP.

Micah's story is pure GU. Great kid, bad situation at home and KU, finds his "family" at Gonzaga and goes on to rediscover his basketball talent and love for life.

Ira and Andrew are great stories also, and both have contributed to the program.

Anyway, my point is to enjoy the skills the seniors bring, because they will be gone before we know it. It's amazing how fast 4 or 5 years can go by. I hope to see these seniors lead the ZAGS for at least 10 more games, before turning my attention to next years guys.

Go ZAGS

Pargo the Destroyer
02-23-2009, 10:06 AM
Like I posted earlier, I am dreading senior night, but look forward to the rest of this season. Gonna miss those horses next season im sure.

gamagin
02-23-2009, 10:10 AM
well said.

We are all slouching towards Bethlehem. And these guys, this teams, and the Gonzaga Program, have made the journey exhilarating and exciting every step of the way.

Go Zags !

23dpg
02-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Someone gave this thing one star? Really?

Holy cow some of you guys are jaded.

Great post El Voce!

gamagin
02-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Great post El Voce!

someone seems to regularly one-star game predictions and other fairly benign posts on GUB, too, making me think he likely kicks puppies, hates his mother, trips the the disabled and would boo Mother Theresa, if he got the chance.

jim77
02-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Its been fun watching these guys. All 5 have overcome various challenges to get where they are at. Thanks for the thrills guys and thanks for all you're hard work....now lets go DEEEEEEEEP!

GoZags
02-23-2009, 11:19 AM

Great post El Voce!

I'll take solace in the fact that whoever 1 starred "The Voice"s post is NOT a Zag.

Never has been.

Never will be.

tobizag
02-23-2009, 11:33 AM
:clap:

bballbeachbum
02-23-2009, 12:00 PM
I will miss this group, too. Looking forward to watching every minute the rest of the way, screaming and rooting like a nut for them... Thanks for the post El Voce

:agreed:

lothar98zag
02-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Like I posted earlier, I am dreading senior night, but look forward to the rest of this season. Gonna miss those horses next season im sure.
:agreed:

(and great post EV!)

IdahoZagFan
02-23-2009, 07:07 PM
THANK YOU for saying exactly what we've been thinking! We remember the Seniors when they arrived at GU! All the anticipation was worth it! They have grown both on and off the basketball court.

We know that these young men work very hard. Oftentimes, we marvel at what they manage to do - we don't think we could do it. We wish the very best for them the rest of this season and the rest of their lives!

This team is very special - they are like our family and we'll be cheering each one of them on!

Zag79
02-23-2009, 07:10 PM
this is one of my favorite zag teams ever. i love the dans, blakes, corys, dereks, etc of the zag hoops world but man pargo, josh and micah will be sorely missed. lets finish strong and have a great march to end this fantastic season. great post elvoce!

FuManShoes
02-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Very nice thread. despite all our petty differences and theories, the fact is this is one hell of a senior class -- a group of guys that each offer something unique and special to this team. It is hard to believe how quickly a season flies by -- and a career. That's why I'm an advocate of a longer season! I will say that when it comes to Josh, there's a pang of regret that I didn't get to see him become the Zag so many know he can be. and it wasn't really a question of work ethic. Between the injuries and the regrettable off-court shenanigans, he simply lost a couple years of seasoning. There will always be that UNC game, and hopefully, a few more dominant games to come. It's so rare to see a guy of his size with such offensive versatility. I don't want it to end!

NotoriousZ
02-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Well said El Voce, well said. My eyes actually watered up a bit. They definitely will be missed...we all should cherrish these last games. Good luck in the NCAA's men!

gamagin
02-23-2009, 07:29 PM
You don't know what you've got until you lose it
You gave me you-your love but I abused it
And now I'm sorry for the things I didn't say
'Cause I know now I acted in a foolish way
(Oh yeah) uh-huh-huh (oh yeah) oh-oh-yeah

You don't know what you've got until you lose it
You gave me you-your love but I misused it
I never knew how lonely loneliness could be
And now I need you, dear, as you once needed me

So now if you'd come to this lonely heart you own
I'd give you all my lovin' like you've never known
(Bung, bung, bung, bung)

FADE
(Oh yeah) uh-huh-huh (oh yeah)

by Ral Donner

--

Last year about this time, we were lamenting the soon-to-be loss of Pendo and Kuso et al. And it was bittersweet then, too.

Thanks for the memories !

Go Zags ! And Godspeed !

TheZagPhish
02-23-2009, 10:13 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_eoui5GM5CkE/SYVPNZSDt9I/AAAAAAAAAn8/CSlMqAenrU0/s400/the_last_grey_ship....jpg

We went through the rings of fire with these guys! I've been a Pargo apologist for years, even in his freshman year. Josh has come full circle and earned back respect from many who swore they'd never give it to him again. Micah found a healthy path and became a bigger man.

I get all lump-in-my-throat when I think about it.

Then I think about next year and feel a little bit better.

Thanks to the Senior crew, every one of 'em, for the hours of gut wrenching, fist pumping, agonizing, blissful, aggravating, glorious fun over the years.

Hell yeah, I'd do it again.

T-bonedazag
02-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Great Post....5 stars fo sho...this has been a great run...but lets not get too emotional yet, I know these seniors aren't, they are getting ready to go 13-0 and then 14-0 and then win in vegas...just like T-bone, ;) but I only bet, then make a nice deep run in March....Its not over yet!

Go Seniors and Go Zags!!!!

DixieZag
02-24-2009, 02:05 AM
I would bet that the staff and all involved with the program will miss a guy like Sorensen as much as any one of them. What a story, did not make the team as a freshman, but instead of giving up on his dream, worked harder and earned a spot his sophmore year. And then the scholarship his last semester. There is a reason that the bench goes nuts when a guy like him scores, its not b/c they are surprised, but b/c they see him work as hard as anyone during practice, they play a role in getting the team ready and are good friends and mentors to the newcomers and I think the bench is ecstatic that their "teamate" finally gets some attention and applause that they know he has earned. I wish all the seniors success in the future.

bigblahla
02-24-2009, 05:34 AM
I would bet that the staff and all involved with the program will miss a guy like Sorensen as much as any one of them. What a story, did not make the team as a freshman, but instead of giving up on his dream, worked harder and earned a spot his sophmore year. And then the scholarship his last semester. There is a reason that the bench goes nuts when a guy like him scores, its not b/c they are surprised, but b/c they see him work as hard as anyone during practice, they play a role in getting the team ready and are good friends and mentors to the newcomers and I think the bench is ecstatic that their "teamate" finally gets some attention and applause that they know he has earned. I wish all the seniors success in the future.

Well said DZ and kudos to El Voce for spreading the gospel. Love'm all and gonna miss'em but not just yet as there is still unfinished business to take care of and this team is not going to fade quietly into the night.

Go!! Zags!!!

ZagMan in Philly
02-24-2009, 06:57 AM
Will miss them greatly. Wish I could be at the Kennel for Senior night. Thanks for being great Zags!

El Voce
03-02-2009, 08:30 AM
I am bumping this thread, as Senior Night will quickly be here. Congrats to these five fine young men for leading our Zags to a 14-0 WCC record. Way to go!

UberZagFan
03-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Great post EV! In true foo fashion, five stars!!!

UberZagFan
03-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Senior Day Bump.

zagporvida
03-03-2009, 09:56 AM
I missed this post the first time around, thank you for the bump. Awesome post!:D

NotoriousZ
03-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Bump! A thread so nice I've read it twice!

GonzagaGurl08
03-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Spot on El Voce!!! Thanks to the seniors for the last 4 plus years, you are the best!!!