X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Tidbits about Kelly Olynyk, Manny Arop, and Sam Dower; refresher on Bol Kong

Kelly Olynyk: From the Penticton Herald today:
    One of country's top high school players comes to Penticton
    James M. Miller, Managing Editor
    02/22/2009

On this particular Friday night in Penticton, the area gymnasium is almost filled to capacity for a high school basketball game, a strange occurrence considering the home team is winless and most sports fans prefer to watch the BCHL’s Penticton Vees.

The star attraction this night is Kelly Olynyk, one of the best high school basketball players in the country and his South Kamloops Titans, the No. 1 ranked team in British Columbia. Olynyk recently signed a letter-of-intent with Gonzaga Bulldogs, one of the top NCAA programs in the U.S.

Parked outside the school is a yellow school bus used to transport both the girls’ and boys’ teams on their four-hour journey from Kamloops, a far cry from what he’ll experience next year when the Bulldogs travel first class.

Kamloops coasted to a 93-33 win over Pen-Hi and Olynyk’s minutes were limited to 18 in a 40-minute contest.

He finished the game with 14 points, often preferring to pass off or move out to the three-point line. Although the six foot, 10 inch player was unable to dunk (he saved those for warm-ups) he did bring the crowd to its feet with a half-court shot at the end of the second quarter plus an unbelievable blocked shot.

Very mature for his young age of 17, Olynyk carries an academic average of over 90 per cent.
    Why Gonzaga?

Olynyk can rhyme off Bulldog stats quicker than any ESPN announcer. The seven-hour driving radius from Kamloops to Spokane, WA was only a small factor in his decision.

"I liked Gonzaga for many different reasons, a big one being coach Mark Few, who runs a top-notch program. It's a place where I’ll be able to play and make a different in a style that fits me, similar to the international game. They work with their athletes to complement their personal skills rather than relying solely on athletic ability."

While his physical stature is obvious, Olynyk possesses tremendous speed, amazing hands and a great understanding of the game.

"Kelly is a 6’10 kid who also has guard skills. He sees the floor better than any other guy I’ve coached," said South Kamloops coach Del Komarniski.

"Kelly’s ceiling is still ways ahead. He’s going to be a heck of a player. Right now, he’s just starting to grow into his body."

While signing the letter-of-intent remains his career highlight, he has two major goals between now and starting university. His high school team is 30-1 with its lone loss being an exhibition game to an American school, using U.S. rules. In the summer months he’s one of the youngest members of Canada's junior men’s national team which will play in the World championships in New Zealand. To reach the World championship, Canada had to place in the top three of a Tournament of Americas, winning the bronze medal game 80-65 over Puerto Rico.
    No thread is complete without a pic, so here's one from another story we posted here recently:

• Feb 2007

Manny Arop featured at Canada Black History Celebration

From basketball.ca:

TOP YOUNG HOOPSTERS MARK BLACK HISTORY MONTH WITH TORONTO TEENS

Last Updated: February 19, 2009
    TORONTO - Canada Basketball visited Wednesday with more than 400 students at James Cardinal McGuigan Catholic Secondary School as part of this year’s celebration of Black History Month. The event was highlighted by a panel of guests including Ontario Health Promotion Minister Dr. Margarett Best, Canada Basketball head coaches Leo Rautins and Greg Francis, and top Canadian male and female high school players in the 2008-09 graduating class.

The interactive assembly featured entertainment, trivia, prizes and free giveaways for every student, as well as a guest lineup of Canada Basketball speakers including:

•WAYNE PARRISH – Executive Director and CEO, Canada Basketball.
    •LEO RAUTINS - Head Coach, Senior Men’s National Team, former NBA player and honoured member of the Canadian Basketball Hall of Fame (1997).
    •GREG FRANCIS – Head Coach, Junior Men’s National Team, former player and Olympian (2000).
    •MANGISTO AROP – 2008 Junior National Team bronze medallist at the FIBA Americas U18 Championship, No. 1 2008-09 high school male player in Canada.
    •KAYLA ALEXANDER – 2008 Junior National Team silver medallist at the FIBA Americas U18 Championship, No. 1 2008-09 high school player in Canada.
    •SAM GIBBS – Head Trainer, Senior Men’s National Team, former Toronto Raptors trainer.

“It is an honour to visit with the students at James Cardinal McGuigan and celebrate Black History Month,” said Wayne Parrish, Executive Director and CEO for Canada Basketball.

“Knowing how passionate this community is about basketball, we welcomed the invitation to showcase contributions of prominent Afro-Canadian athletes, coaches and trainers as well as help promote the positive impact of our sport. Basketball has the power to build communities, improve the health of youth and provide opportunities for success both on and off the court.”

The students at James Cardinal McGuigan have a great passion for the sport, and this assembly served as a platform to build on this passion for the future. Perhaps the most relevant speakers of the day were Manny and Kayla. Both hoopsters are still in high school, like the students in attendance, yet they are at the top of their game and have already represented Canada on the world stage.

Mangisto (Manny) Arop is a Sudanese born 6'6" wing from Edmonton. His family immigrated to Canada when he was young to escape the civil unrest in his homeland. Settling in the Alberta capital, Manny quickly excelled in basketball at Ross Sheppard High School. In 2007, Manny was one of 12 young athletes selected to the inaugural NEDA boys’ program. Under the tutelage of head coach Greg Francis, Manny honed his skills enough to earn him a starting spot on Canada’s 2008 Canada’s Junior National Team as well as a scholarship to attend Gonzaga University in Spokane, Wash., this fall.
    And I thought this was interesting ...
    The Fastest Growing Sport in Canada
    Basketball is the fastest growing sport in Canada, with the greatest growth at the grassroots level, in communities from coast to coast. Since the inception of the NBA in Canada in 1995, basketball has quickly evolved into one of the top three most played team sports in Canada. Recent studies by Solutions Research Group and Statistics Canada confirmed that basketball is the fastest growing sport for children aged 5-14, (an increase of 37 per cent between 1998-2005), and is the fastest growing and most popular sport amongst visible minorities, including African-Canadians.

Children and youth represent the largest population of basketball players with almost 630,000 participants nationwide, according to a Statistics Canada study on sports participation. With the rise in health and fitness issues amongst youth (childhood obesity, diabetes), Canada Basketball and Ontario's Ministry of Health Promotion see basketball as a viable means to improve the quality of life for children, youth and families.

Parrish added, “We all know that basketball was invented by a Canadian, Dr. James Naismith, in 1891 and now 118 years later, it the fastest growing sport in our country. Today, we celebrate this rich sporting heritage created by a diverse mosaic of passionate Canadians who have contributed to the growth of the game.”
    And, of course, we need a pic!

Comment

• SLOZag
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

An off-topic observation (with apologies)

Nice find ZagNative! I was struck by one bit toward the end of the quoted material:

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
      Kelly Olynyk: From the Penticton Herald today...
      "[Kelly's] high school team is 30-1 with its lone loss being an exhibition game to an American school, using U.S. rules."
      I don't mean to hijack your topic by this posting, but it seems to me the quoted comment is a good reminder of something we should all keep in mind when we're trying to evaluate a Canadian player's performance against US competition: Although a Canadian player subjected to US rules that are not the norm for him can always adjust to them over time, the unfamiliar rules are a definate disadvantage for that particular contest. I remember the discussion on this Board when Kelly's team lost that one game, but I don't recall this point having been mentioned.

As for why I needed this reminder, well, we don't need to go there!
      SLOZag
      "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Comment

• ZagNative
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Updated Eval on Manny on ESPN

Looks like Manny might have gotten a nudge upward on ESPN's Recruit tracker, with a February update,, with an 88 Scout, Inc. grade:
        Evaluation

February, 2009: Arop has incredible athleticism, quickness, and leaping ability, which he uses to make plays on both sides of the floor. He plays with a great amount of energy and does not take plays off, whether his team has the ball or when digging in defensively. Arop also has an impressive frame with good length as well as the capacity to get stronger and even more muscular. He has an awesome first step but he needs to continue to improve his ball-handling skills. Arop likes to get into the mid-range area of the floor where he can use his length and leaping ability to see over defenders for a pull-up jumper. He can also hit the occasional 3, but he needs to improve his consistency in this area. Arop sometimes believes too much in his ability and takes contested shots. On defense, he does a great job of using his lateral quickness and length to harass ball-handlers on the perimeter. Arop also anticipates and plays passing lanes for steals very well, using his quick hands. Arop also passes the ball to open teammates due to his good vision and unselfish style of play.

Notes

Native of Sudan who moved to Canada when he was nine...Currently attends Basketball Canada's National Elite Development Academy on the campus of McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario...Goes by the name "Manny"...

Comment

• ZagNative
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

So, I'm cheating a little bit about Bol Kong ....

Despite almost daily googling for news of Bol Kong, the cupboard is pretty much bare of recent news, but I did want to link back to a post here on guboards from December that reported on a story about Bol playing in the Peace Arch game in Vancouver. That story reported (underlining added for emphasis):
          The game itself again promises to be an entertaining one. In addition to Kong, who is training in Ontario with Basketball Canada’s NEDA program, Bains will also suit up.
          It would be very helpful to know if anyone has any dope about Kong's involvement with the N.E.D.A. program. How amazing it would be to have had Bol, Manny, and Kelly working together closely at N.E.D.A.

In the absence of any real news, here's at least a nice pic of Bol from his time at Douglas CC in BC last spring ... ...

Comment

• ZagNative
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

ESPN January Eval for Sam Dower

I don't know whether ESPN's January Eval of Sam has been posted, or if I just forgot Scout, Inc., had given him an 89 grade ( one higher than Manny).
            Evaluation

January, 2009: After sitting out the majority of the first half with two fouls (Timberwolves Shootout) Dower got it going in the second half. He is a long and lean lefty that is a good athlete. He is very mobile and a quick jumper around the basket. Although he is still a work in progress on offense Dower has a couple go to moves that he executes very well. Dower likes to shoot the jump hook over his right shoulder on both sides of the lane but on the left side he will look to face up at times. He does a great job of sealing and resealing his defender to improve his post position. Dower is also a good passer out of the post vs. the double team. He gets the ball out of his hands right as he feels the pressure which makes it difficult for the defense to recover due too such quick ball movement. Dower can hit the mid range jumper with time to set and the trail three with time and space as well. His shot starts very low but ends with a good follow through. Added strength should help raise the starting point on his shot. Dower is a good rebounder especially on the offensive end as he uses his long wing span fore tip INS and to come over from the weak side to block shots. Defensively dower did a great job at helping in on ball screening situations. This young man has great upside.
            And, of course, we need a pic of Sam's smiley face:

Comment

• CaliforniaZaggin'
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2008

Good stuff as always, ZN!

I think the staff was very fortunate and very wise in recruiting Manny and Sam early on. If either of these guys had waited until this spring to commit, then the competition would have been HUGE. I love the fact that the staff is able to recognize talented players earlier on in their high school careers and gain leverage in recruiting by being one of the first schools to show interest in these players. In interviews I've seen with Austin, he's said that Gonzaga's early recruitment of him played a definite factor in ultimately choosing GU. Hopefully we seem a repeat story in the form of Brett Kingma.
              What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Comment

• zaguarxj
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Thanks, ZN. If those guys are nearly as good as they are handsome, it's going to be a heck of a recruiting class.

Comment

• DADoZAG
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by zaguarxj View Post
                  Thanks, ZN. If those guys are nearly as good as they are handsome, it's going to be a heck of a recruiting class.
                  I don't know about handsome...

Sam looks like a future superstar, no doubt, along with Manny.

Imagine, if you will, Kelly Olynyk ("KO"), at 6'-11, 240 lbs (not now but he will be), with the knowledge and abilities of a point guard. That will be a "KNOCK OUT" matchup for the opposition.

The biggest upside, though, may be "The King" Kong.

With this future, we'd best be shopping for shades for us all.
                  Go ZAGS!

Only watching the ball, misses at least 80% of the game.

Comment

• Reborn
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2007

Thanks ZagNative. Nice to see you're back. Great reads and great pictures. It won't be long and we'll all be waiting to hear about them when they get to campus this summer. Does sound like the Canadians may be playing international ball this summer.

I see no guards were signed for next year. We'd better be looking for a backup for Goodson soon. Before you know it he'll be Junior. Are there any point guards out there for '10?
                    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• BobZag
                      Dark Lord of the Zag
                      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                      Are there any point guards out there for '10?
                      Yes, and a real good one in '11 named Brett Kingma. Remember, Blake Stepp was a senior when heir apparent Derek Raivio was a frosh. But yes, a couple of good ones in '10, too. But I'm partial to the kid in the '11 class. Just me.
                      The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• OZZag
                        Kennel Club
                        • Aug 2007

Thanks ZN, as usual you are the best at trolling for information!

IMHO Kelly's best asset is between his ears, and he is only going to improve his skills and physique in his years at GU. We have talked about Austin, but I am thinking more along the lines of a 6'11" version of Matt Bouldin by his senior year.

Manny might take a bit of time adjusting to not being the "top dog" in the kennel, but his amazing package will certainly take him (and his team) places.

I believe that Bol has had limited opportunities to practice (with a "team")since he left Douglas, it would be interesting to find out how he got the opportunity to practice with the NEDA boys halfway across the country. The fact that he was able to do this this with Manny and Kelly is an obvious bonus.

Comment

• MississppiZag
                          Bleeds GU Blue
                          • May 2008

Guards for 2010 so far include: PG Aaron Bright, PG Terrel Stoglin, PG Jordin Mayes, SG Jamel Outler, and SG Cole Stefan.

Bright has us high on his list with Stanford and Arizona, Jordin Mayes has recently dropped us(we'll see what the staff does), and Cole Stefan played on Sam Dower's AAU team and has had other members of the staff visit him in Minnesota.

My wish for the 2010 class would be(It kind of seems early, huh? ) is:

Guy Marc-Michel or John McArthur(both are big men)
                          Aaron Bright
                          Cole Stefan(the lights out shooter we could use after Gray is gone)

BobZag, who do you see as the frontrunners for the 2010 class and who do you hope to see in a Zag uniform?
                          "I enjoyed watching them play more than watching us play," Izzo said after watching his team eke out a 75-71 win over Gonzaga. "I thought they punched us in the mouth, picked us up and punched us in the mouth again."

Comment

• BobZag
                            Dark Lord of the Zag
                            • Jan 2007

I don't think Cole is being recruited any more.

Personally, if 6'6" Joe Harris improves and proves himself, I'd like to see him be a Zag.

Looks like Michel is coming, barring any unforeseen circumstance.

And a combo guard along the lines of Mayes, I guess.

2011 has a chance of being as good as any previous class if Brett Kingma, Gary Bell and Kyle Wiltjer choose Gonzaga.
                            The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• gamagin
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Thanks, ZN

You are the best !
                              Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                              Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                              Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

Working...
                              X