PDA

View Full Version : Will Zags Sweep Final Road Trip, or Not?

BobZag
02-22-2009, 09:27 AM
Your predictions--

1. Will Gonzaga sweep Santa Clara at Leavey and San Diego at Jenny Craig?

2. Will Gonzaga split Santa Clara / San Diego?

3. If you believe a split, who does Gonzaga lose to, and why?

4. Will Gonzaga be swept by Santa Clara and San Diego, and if so, why, how?

FuManShoes
02-22-2009, 09:34 AM
Sweep. The Zags seem pretty motivated, have Big Dance seeding and undefeated league record on the line and their opponents have not so much to play for other than pride and perhaps a better WCC Tourney seed, but I'm not sure that's enough this time.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/gonz/sports/m-baskbl/auto_widephoto/2779087.jpeg

billyberu
02-22-2009, 09:53 AM
It's possible for any one of these scenarios to happen. The Zags can be listless on the road especially now that the conference belongs to them. This is a chance for the seniors to step up and demand that everyone come to play. It is important to win out the next two games if an undefeated conference record is their goal.

gu03alum
02-22-2009, 10:00 AM
1. Gonzaga will sweep. Santa Clara might be a little trouble for Gonzaga, but I think that they will handle them ok. Bryant can and will be tough, but Josh will still come out on top against him. He is playing really well right now and I don't see any letup from him the rest of the way.

gamagin
02-22-2009, 10:14 AM
a: to remove from a surface with or as if with a broom or brush <swept the crumbs from the table> b: to destroy completely : wipe out —usually used with away c: to remove or take with a single continuous forceful action d: to remove from sight or consideration e: to drive or carry along with irresistible force 2 a: to clean with or as if with a broom or brush b: to clear by repeated and forcible action c: to move across or along swiftly, violently, or overwhelmingly — American Guide Series: Maryland> d: to win an overwhelming victory in or on <sweep the elections> e: to win all the games or contests of <sweep a series>; to move swiftly, forcefully, or devastatingly or

— sweep the board or sweep the table
1 to win everything : beat all competitors

Go Zags ! Sweep em !

DixieZag
02-22-2009, 10:16 AM
I believe that the team feels that it has underachieved this year, so far, and is still stung by the Memphis game and wants to "win out" through the year, and will be pumped for the last weekend. The conference tournament scares me; we have a history of looking past it.

ZagMan in Philly
02-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Your predictions--

1. Will Gonzaga sweep Santa Clara at Leavey and San Diego at Jenny Craig? Oh yes, we just plain better than both teams, and the motivation to go undefeated in conference will be a key too, so, there will be no letdown on this trip to California. Go Zags!!

Final4Zag
02-22-2009, 12:10 PM
Especially if we wear those new black jerseys!

RenoZag
02-22-2009, 12:33 PM
Split. SCU will be hungry after dumping one to USF, their crowd will treat it like their "Final Four," and the WCC zebras are overdue. . .

USD is just not good enough to beat a Zag team that will be stinging from the SCU defeat. . .

P.S. Just a hunch folks. . .not wishful thinking.

P.S.S. Thanks to Pleasant Peninsula for the one word neg rep for this post.

bigblahla
02-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Split. SCU will be hungry after dumping one to USF, their crowd will treat it like their "Final Four," and the WCC zebras are overdue. . .USD is just not good enough to beat a Zag team that will be stinging from the SCU defeat. . .
P.S. Just a hunch folks. . .not wishful thinking.

Darn you Reno I had a warm and fuzzy feeling until I read your post but just so you know Quasimodo had a hunch too and look what happened to him. :D

Zags sweep!

Go!! Zags!!!

JAGzag
02-22-2009, 01:14 PM
I may be alone on this but these two games are very, very important. Whie they're not "must win," the Zags are heads above both these teams. Thus, how they come to play will speak volumes about their motivation and determination (or lack thereof). They need to come out guns blazing and kick some tail.

Seattle_Zag
02-22-2009, 02:09 PM
I believe that the team feels that it has underachieved this year, so far, and is still stung by the Memphis game and wants to "win out" through the year, and will be pumped for the last weekend. The conference tournament scares me; we have a history of looking past it.

Really? We have lost 2 WCC tournament games since 1999. Both being to San Diego on their home court (2003 & 2008). That doesn't really sound like looking past the tournament to me.

Seattle_Zag
02-22-2009, 02:15 PM
I may be alone on this but these two games are very, very important. Whie they're not "must win," the Zags are heads above both these teams. Thus, how they come to play will speak volumes about their motivation and determination (or lack thereof). They need to come out guns blazing and kick some tail.

I completely agree. These games are very important for us. I do think we will sweep them, but it may not be as easy at it should be.

A couple of things to consider...say we do lose one of these games. What would our seeding be come tourney time? It would be considered a very bad loss in the eyes of the committee.

Also, say we lose one of these games and a game in the WCC tourney. Do we have to be worried about getting in?

Something to chew on...

BobZag
02-22-2009, 02:19 PM
I completely agree. These games are very important for us. I do think we will sweep them, but it may not be as easy at it should be.

A couple of things to consider...say we do lose one of these games. What would our seeding be come tourney time? It would be considered a very bad loss in the eyes of the committee.

Also, say we lose one of these games and a game in the WCC tourney. Do we have to be worried about getting in?

Something to chew on...

No worries about getting in, but the seed would be crappy.

DADoZAG
02-22-2009, 02:23 PM
Split. SCU will be hungry after dumping one to USF, their crowd will treat it like their "Final Four," and the WCC zebras are overdue. . .

Good point RenoZag, it's a good thing we're playing them Thursday. Saturday's Bryants last home game and he's got a ton to prove with all the WCC POY talk and the way he was handled by the ZAGS at K2. The zebra's wistle and Josh's early foul situation will tell the tale.

For Karma's sake though, I've got the broom next to the TIVO...

NotoriousZ
02-22-2009, 02:51 PM
W @ Santa Clara, W @ San Diego, W vs. Whatever Upstate, W vs. WCC semi-finalist , W vs. Portland or SMC in the final. 26 - 5 should be a 4-5 seed in Portland or Boise.

But let's win that first one first.

Come on Zags! Beat the s*** out of Santa Clara! I need a picture GraysAnatomy...

CDC84
02-22-2009, 02:55 PM
If Gonzaga plays like they did at USF against either SCU or USD, they'll get beat. The games at SCU are almost always challenging, and even though USD has fallen on hard times, Grier always manages to have something up his sleeve.

dim4sum
02-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Geir knows all the plays--USD will be up after a bunch of inexcusable losses.
Santa Clara has been plagued all year by an inability to finish. With the exception of the Gonzaga implosion at the Kennel, Santa Clara has played every opponent close. The core of this year's Zag team, I hate to say, is softness. Small gyms, hostile crowds and Zag smugness could make for a long weekend.
USD wins, 72-65.
Broncos, 80-64.
Hope I'm wrong.

drogba11
02-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Santa Clara has been plagued all year by an inability to finish. With the exception of the Gonzaga implosion at the Kennel, Santa Clara has played every opponent close. The core of this year's Zag team, I hate to say, is softness. Small gyms, hostile crowds and Zag smugness could make for a long weekend.
USD wins, 72-65.
Broncos, 80-64.
Hope I'm wrong.

I agree that San Diego will give use a closer game, but I think we sweep. I have a funny feeling this team is going to go off in the tourny. I like the switch to Downs as a starter. His defense is always solid and he hustles even if he's not making his shots on the offensive end. He really disrupts the other teams offense. Grey is to up and down right now, he needs to become more consistent player. Goodson is also looking solid and it looks like he is understanding the offense and setting up people nicely. Sure we had our hiccup against Memphis, but look at all the teams in the 25 getting blown out once this year. I'm very excited about march. Go Zags!

willandi
02-22-2009, 06:32 PM
No worries about getting in, but the seed would be crappy.

So we could drop to a 12 seed and play in Portland????
Will

roxdoc
02-22-2009, 07:02 PM
If the team is motivated adequately they should win both. Its put up of shut up time to show that they are "peaking". Any reversion back to lacadasical play would be pretty disappointing.

theirishzag03
02-22-2009, 07:19 PM
USD wins, 72-65.
Broncos, 80-64.
Hope I'm wrong.

If the Broncos have been in all close games, how does this logic predict the Zags getting waxed by 16??? Road games are a bit tougher, but usually NOT a 40 point swing!

San Diego may know our plays, but I think Few has a pretty good idea what USD might be up to as well.

Zags sweep, focusing on one game at a time and bringing a ton of effort.

snebzag
02-22-2009, 08:06 PM
I love that picture FuMan.
Josh pumped and marching.
Matty pumped and looking back at SMC players.
AD, still trying to get that traveling call from the first half when Simpson burned him.
California trips are never easy. SC has only one guy in Bryant. SD is not very good. Should be an easy road to 14-0. I am not worried. This is a very good team going up against inferior opponets. Just bring it Zags. Just bring it.

Reborn
02-22-2009, 09:48 PM
It's only Sunday night, and seems a little early for predictions for me. But I'm not running the show. I will make my predictions early, and probably won't put up a thread this week. This will be a good test for the Zags. But it's just the next step, the next test, and I think they are ready. I think their focus was on winning the WCC, and they proved they have what was necessary to do that. I think the guys are learning to now play one game at a time, and go 100&#37; for whatever minutes they're on the floor. I think it will help to play Santa Clara first. Josh vs Bryant. I will love to see this matchup again. Josh got the best of him in K2, and I say he will do it again. I remember the game last year. What a wild ending that was. Classic. Santa Clara will be ready, and it's going to be war. Gonzaga is better this year than last, and Santa Clara is a little behind I think. Zags win by 19.

Zags have more trouble with San Diego because of Grier. He knows us so well, and his troops will want to win that last game. But we have just too many weapons this year, and San Diego just doesn't have the confidence they had last year. Zags squeeze out their last win by 10. Good luck guys. Zagdom is seeing the light again. Lots of smiles these days. Good feelings floating around. Love for the Zags is a rising at high pitch. Memphis and Portland St. are good memories to remind the guys that they need to get up for both these games or they WILL lose. Focus will be a high priority. Few and the others will get these guys ready. There is a lot at stake now. Seeding this year is going to be so very important because we do have a good team, and I believe it's going to make a huge difference where we play. I think to stay here in the West we need both these games on the win column. Go Zags.

OH. The picture is AWESOME. Josh is becoming something else.

EngineerZag
02-23-2009, 04:55 AM
I give it 60&#37;-40% odds that we sweep. I could easily see either a split or a sweep, depending on a variety of factors, but I think it's more likely that we take care of business and get our third undefeated WCC season.

theirishzag03
02-23-2009, 08:23 AM
California trips are never easy. SC has only one guy in Bryant. SD is not very good. Should be an easy road to 14-0. I am not worried. This is a very good team going up against inferior opponets. Just bring it Zags. Just bring it.

Agree Cal trips are not easy and think Zags will sweep, but SC has a frosh named Kevin Foster who has been over 20 (9) times and scored 31 vs St Mary's.... he scares me. Also the other 2 guards Rahon and Perry are good too. Rahon is really really quick.

USD really misses Brandon Johnson, more than SM has missed Mills. I think they will try and slow the game down just to try and stay close. It will be a good test, but I think Zags get the sweep the Old Fashion Way..."they'll earn it"

johnwzag
02-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Sweep, WCC tourney Sweep, #5 seed in March.

After that. No predictions for any team. UNC could go out in second/third round. I do think Memphis will reach the final four. That is the only team I sure of.

HillBillyZag
02-23-2009, 11:23 AM
With the effort shown over the last few games I look for the Zags to finish out the regular season in a blaze of glory. GET OUT THE BROOMS!

lothar98zag
02-23-2009, 12:35 PM
fwiw, here is what kenpom.com (http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Gonzaga) says about the next two games:

GU @ SCU W 88&#37; by 11
GU @ USD W 91% by 12
(also: chance of undefeated conference record = 80%)

I'm not as certain as ken's computer, but I feel "ok" about GU's chances of 2 Ws based on what GU has done over the past 10+ years in the WCC. And because I'm not 100% sure of things, I'll be at the SCU game doing what I can to push GU to its 1st W this week.

DADoZAG
02-23-2009, 12:44 PM
And because I'm not 100% sure of things, I'll be at the SCU game doing what I can to push GU to its 1st W this week.

We'll be listening for that cowbell!

Go ZAGS!

Zag79
02-23-2009, 07:14 PM
this team sweeps, finishes the wcc play undefeated and rolls into march peaking at the perfect time ulike most zag teams. all idiot mouths are finally silenced until next season when they find a new player to hate, and cry about how the team sucks only to be proven wrong for another decade. :lmao: