Ok State over Baylor
Maryland over UNC
UConn over USF

On the downside--

UK over Tennessee

Any I missed?

DixieZag
02-21-2009, 01:51 PM
I don't know how much these individual games lift RPI's but it sure looks nice having the Cougs win, Maryland beat UNC, and St. Mary's is up comfortably at the half. The last game being the most important, it makes the entire conference look better.

BobZag
02-21-2009, 02:10 PM
St. Mary's is a far better team than Utah State. Should be a W for the Gaels, which shows how much better the top of the WCC is than the WAC.

DixieZag
02-21-2009, 02:23 PM
I didn't know that St. Mary's was far better than Utah State, but they are playing that way and it does speak well for our league, it tells me that Portland could beat some quality teams in the Pac 10 and would have represented itself well had it had a chance in the bb.

JosephZags
02-21-2009, 02:25 PM
I didn't know that St. Mary's was far better than Utah State, but they are playing that way and it does speak well for our league, it tells me that Portland could beat some quality teams in the Pac 10 and would have represented itself well had it had a chance in the bb.

Portland actually beat the 1st place team in the Pac-10 this year.

DixieZag
02-21-2009, 02:37 PM
I just meant now, BCS schools like to talk about their conferences "wearing" each other down, just saying that our top 4 can wear down a lot of teams also. Gosh I hope we win out, and somehow OU gets beat by Texas tonight, it would be sweet to be the ONLY team in the country undefeated in conference play, and NO, I am NOT over looking next weekend, SCU especially scares me. And San Diego played St. Mary's tougher than #23 Utah State is currently.

DixieZag
02-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Should have known better; St. Mary's up by 3 now, should have kept my mouth shut. Come on Gaels!

JosephZags
02-21-2009, 03:00 PM
I just meant now, BCS schools like to talk about their conferences "wearing" each other down, just saying that our top 4 can wear down a lot of teams also. Gosh I hope we win out, and somehow OU gets beat by Texas tonight, it would be sweet to be the ONLY team in the country undefeated in conference play, and NO, I am NOT over looking next weekend, SCU especially scares me. And San Diego played St. Mary's tougher than #23 Utah State is currently.

Memphis is undefeated too.

ZagSlug
02-21-2009, 03:03 PM
I like to cheer for SMC but then I see Samhan I start wavering

MotoZag
02-21-2009, 03:06 PM
Add SMC over Utah St. to the mix. A convincing 10+ Pattiless win nonetheless.

johnwzag
02-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Great day for RPI.

Way to go Gaels. Smaham, you suck.

Reborn
02-21-2009, 03:08 PM
This wasn't a surprise to me when I saw that Utah St only beat Idaho by like 9 points, and then lost two straight after that I think. Great game for the Gaels. Shows our conference is not as weak as some may think.

johnwzag
02-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Having WSU beat UCLA after we wipped them, is almost as good as revenge.

johnwzag
02-21-2009, 03:10 PM
This wasn't a surprise to me when I saw that Utah St only beat Idaho by like 9 points, and then lost two straight after that I think. Great game for the Gaels. Shows our conference is not as weak as some may think.

I expected them to win too.

ZagAddict
02-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Great day for RPI.

Way to go Gaels. Smaham, you suck.

:cheers: to johnwzag

I like to RPI lift, but still can't get behind a program with a player like Samhan and a coach like Randy Bennett that let's anything go. I thought Simpson's drunk with 3 seconds left spoke volumes about what kind of team the Gael's are... purely rubbing salt in the wound.

As far as the other games... great wins for WSU and Maryland. Great to see Maryland getting a quality win in the ACC.

Most importantly... the Zags need to take care of business tonight and not take the Waves lightly. Go Zags!

DixieZag
02-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Oh well, still want to be undefeated in conference, hope we play really well tonight and top off a great day. Good win by the Gaels, and Samham is hard to watch, even if you need his team to win.

btzag
02-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Great win for WSU over UCLA and suddenly the Bruins are reeling. Finally their lack of offense is costing them after spending years playing frenetic hack-away defense and pulling out wins. T

hey tried it again today and almost pulled it out after the officials decided to completely swallow their whistles the last minute or two and allowed UCLA to just bully WSU around the court. Could not believe what I was watching! T

Then with under 10 seconds to go and UCLA bringing it up to eventually shoot a 3 the clock stops! No one notices and it started up again after a good 2 seconds and then UCLA hits the 3 to pull within one. Bizarre that no one saw that as they were under 10 seconds in the game and in fact the announcers had no clue either. Really weird ending but was glad to see WSU get the win that they deserved.

TheCroatian
02-21-2009, 05:58 PM
Maryland beats UNC as well....

BobZag
02-21-2009, 06:29 PM
If Oklahoma loses to Texas, only Gonzaga and Memphis remain undefeated in conference, provided the Zags subdue the Waves.

49-47 Texas. 9:00 to go.

Kinda funny, but I catch myself rooting for Texas since the Zags scrimmaged them in Denver. :)

McZag
02-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Huge day for Zag scheduling. A Vols win would have been icing on the cake but we really can't complain. Maryland, SMC and WSU all had big days for the Zags. It will be very interesting how the polls shake out next week. Need to take care of business tonight.

Go Zags!

johnwzag
02-21-2009, 07:07 PM
If Oklahoma loses to Texas, only Gonzaga and Memphis remain undefeated in conference, provided the Zags subdue the Waves.

49-47 Texas. 9:00 to go.

Kinda funny, but I catch myself rooting for Texas since the Zags scrimmaged them in Denver. :)

I can't believe they did it!

Good job Texas.

johnwzag
02-21-2009, 07:09 PM

I like to RPI lift, but still can't get behind a program with a player like Samhan and a coach like Randy Bennett that let's anything go. I thought Simpson's drunk with 3 seconds left spoke volumes about what kind of team the Gael's are... purely rubbing salt in the wound.

As far as the other games... great wins for WSU and Maryland. Great to see Maryland getting a quality win in the ACC.

Most importantly... the Zags need to take care of business tonight and not take the Waves lightly. Go Zags!

My biggest problem with SMC is their refs on the home court.

DoMieD
02-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Nice day for the Zags, wish the Vols would of played better though, Kentucky man-handled them.

gaels87
02-21-2009, 08:50 PM
The refs were from the WAC. In the bracketbuster format, the refs come from the visiting team's conference

fedwayzag
02-21-2009, 09:13 PM
Happy and proud of WSU victory. Still cannot believe WSU did not foul at the end of the game to run some clock. They had 3 to give before UCLA went to the line.

Few played it right against St Mary's by fouling when he had one and it probably won the game for us

FieldHouseFishHouse
02-22-2009, 10:20 AM

I thought Simpson's drunk with 3 seconds left spoke volumes about what kind of team the Gael's are... purely rubbing salt in the wound.

I tend to agree that scoring like that with the shot-clock off is not a classy move. Against Memphis this year, Memphis took a shot clock violation and then Gonzaga dribbled out the clock while behind. I thought this was good coaching on both sides to avoid an injury at the end of a tough game. I also remember a Zag making a last second lay-up in the first round of an NCAA tournament game that was a blowout for our side. I remember that rubbing me the wrong way.
All that being said, if the opposing team is guarding the inbounds play, then the full court pass and dunk is still on the table. That is exactly what happened yesterday.