PDA

View Full Version : Sam Dower Pours in 36...

MississppiZag
02-21-2009, 09:10 AM
as his Osseo Orioles team goes to 20-2 on the year. Sam is now averaging 25.1 points and 11+ rebounds on the year. This is Sam's 7th 30+ point outing.

BobZag
02-21-2009, 09:17 AM
Good stuff. I think we're going to be real happy with what we see in the 2009 class. Sam just keeps improving.

Therunner
02-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Sam is making the regional Universities look dumber every game;). Schools such as Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, etc showed interest in Dower waaaayyy too late. I listen to Gopher fans lament this fact all the time. They can't believe Tubby missed the boat with Sam especially now that he's contantly making headlines in the local newspapers with his big performances against the best teams in the Metro. The Zag coaches were making appearances at Sam's games nearly a year before any Big-10 school even came in the picture. Props to our coaches for securing this kid early on.

billyberu
02-21-2009, 10:23 AM
I have high hopes for this kid. Looks like a real banger.

MDABE80
02-21-2009, 10:27 AM
BZ.when do the new kids come out? July is usual?

BobZag
02-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Yeah, around July 1 for the second session of summer school. Except Kong will be here for first session of summer school (May) and Elias Harris might stay in Germany and play in the Euro Championships. Arop could also be delayed due to the World U18 Championships in New Zealand.

And so it goes.

Baldwinzag
02-21-2009, 11:35 AM
I almost forgot about Elias Harris joining this class.

BZ, would you project Elias and Bol playing the same position next year? Will these two be competing for minutes or compliment one another on the court? I notice they're similar in size, yet I believe Elias is more a small-PF and Bol a good sized-SF. Is that correct?

Talk about the class of Mystery men: Bol, Elias, and Manny.

GoZags
02-21-2009, 12:37 PM
I almost forgot about Elias Harris joining this class.

BZ, would you project Elias and Bol playing the same position next year? Will these two be competing for minutes or compliment one another on the court? I notice they're similar in size, yet I believe Elias is more a small-PF and Bol a good sized-SF. Is that correct?

Talk about the class of Mystery men: Bol, Elias, and Manny.

My personal belief is that Elias is more of a 4 (in the Jon Brockman mold).

cbbfanatic
02-21-2009, 01:47 PM
I have high hopes for this kid. Looks like a real banger.

i thought this was the big that is rail thin but long? does he play like a banger despite having a skinny frame, or am i thinking of a different guy?

Baldwinzag
02-21-2009, 02:09 PM
i thought this was the big that is rail thin but long? does he play like a banger despite having a skinny frame, or am i thinking of a different guy?

cbbfanatic - I had the pleasure of catching an Osseo game to watch Sam play in person. I posted a brief report about Sam a few weeks ago. I thought this post would give you a better idea of Sam's style of play.

Enjoy!

I had the opportunity to attend my first Osseo game last evening and enjoyed the experience immensely. Sam did, indeed, score 27 points and quite honestly, made it look easy...and very smooth.

I must admit he's a MUCH better prospect than I ever anticipated. I have followed Sam closely by reading about his recruitment on the Board and his performances during the Summer circuit, yet it seemed he was generally considered a big "project". While he still has a long way to go and develop physically, he will no doubt be a special player for the Zags.

I ended up sitting right behind the Osseo bench and within just a few feet of Sam. In addition to watching him play, I was able to listen to his Coach and Sam's responses as well. It was definitely entertaining to be exposed to both fronts. His Coach does a good job keeping Sam from floating on the perimeter and Sam responds immediately to his Coaching. Good sign. Sam is every bit of 6'9" and was the tallest player on the court last night. Much like most games, he started off slowly. He needs to get going and warm up which many Osseo fans mentioned and expected during the first half of play. As a matter of fact, he didn't score his first bucket until 6 mins into the game! His first shot was a turn around jump hook from the left side and it was nothing but net. After he saw that first shot go in, he went to work and never looked back. He put on a show in the post all night long. He ended up with 27 points and scored in a variety of ways. Jump hook, fade-away, turn around jumper, put back dunk, dribble-drive, transition basket, etc.

Sam is simply a fun player to watch and is one of those players who puts a smile on your face when he succeeds. The only other players who've had this type of affect on me were people such as Ronny, Dickau, Ammo, Steven Gray, and now Sam Dower.

The Good: Sam is going to be our first "real" post prospect we've had in a long time. With continued physical development, he could resemble the next Ronny Turiaf and maybe even better than him on the offensive end. Sam NEVER stops moving, with or without the ball. Sam is extremely bouncy, long, and more athletic than other players his size. He always fights for position and uses his length and soft hands to receive the ball in the post. His guards are not good passers, yet Sam moves so much and fights so hard, they can't deny giving him the ball. Once he receives the ball, he immediately makes his move without hesitation. I never saw hesitation in his game, which is something our current post players could learn from. He has an outstanding touch around the rim, especially on the left side considering he's left-handed. I believe his left-handedness helps him because most defenders never expect a hook or turn around from the opposite side. He scored at will from the post and gained good position to give himself the best opportunity to score. The thing that impressed me most was his passing ability out of the post. He is very aware of where his teammates are on the court and will find the open shooter or slasher when necessary. He seems to make the right decision every time he gets the ball. He feels the pressure when he's double/triple teamed and he also knows when to go for the score.

The Bad: Sam has a tendency to fade-away on every shot. I think this is due to playing against shorter players and watching too much NBA. While he seems to make these shots at ease, he'll be unable to get away with this shot at next level. If he would go up strong and with more elevation, he'd be able to draw the foul a majority of the time. Also, while he gains good position in the post on both ends of the floor, he can lose focus on rebounding. He gave up several boards to much shorter players because of this. He does average 11+ boards per game, but he lacks proper rebounding technique and relays on his natural length too much. Very little to find a flaw in Sam's game. He needs to develop more muscle/strength and do a better job rebounding.

Overall, Sam is the athletic, bouncy, and skilled post player we've been missing since Ronny. He will never be a banger at the next level, yet he will be an outstanding left-handed post player who loves to player under the hoop. He is very coachable and well-liked by his Coaches and teammates. He is an extremely efficient scorer as well.

Great job by Few for finding and securing this kid!

EngineerZag
02-21-2009, 03:08 PM
But what about Bol Kong's latest game?

;)

ZagNative
02-21-2009, 04:48 PM
BaldwinZag, I loved your post! Thanks once again for your excellent insights on Sam!

BobZag
02-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Elias will be more of a 4 than a 3. Some Zags who saw Elias up close in K2 say he's closer to 6'8" or so and is big. Kong can play the 2 and 3.

ZagNut08
02-21-2009, 11:01 PM
who knows what to expect out of the 2009 class...manny gets rave reviews...one viewing earns him a top 100 ranking with rivals. Many in "the know" say Kong is even better than him. Elias, who knows, but he is an athletic player with high level experience...and now Dower, seeming to put up huge numbers and coming in ranked a little low, but still in the Rivals Top 150

Could turn out to be a very under-rated class (but who really knows)

OZZag
02-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks Baldwinzag for the info, although I do take exception to not including Rob Sacre as a "real" post prospect though. By the time Rob leaves GU he will have shown his value.

cbbfanatic
02-22-2009, 04:17 PM
thanks for the info baldwinzag, i enjoyed the first hand account