PDA

View Full Version : New Bracketology

Angelo Roncalli
02-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Zags move up a line to a #5 seed (they were the highest rated #6 in Monday's bracketology):

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

lothar98zag
02-20-2009, 01:13 PM
I'd personally like a 6 instead of a 5*

*of course match-ups matter more than seeds

GoZags
02-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Nice.

Lunardi has 5 seed Gonzaga opening with 12 seed Florida down in Miami. Sounds about right.

I prefer Jerry Palm's www.collegerpi.com bracket of today -- 5 seed Gonzaga taking on 12 seed Siena in Boise.

lothar98zag
02-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Nice.

Lunardi has 5 seed Gonzaga opening with 12 seed Florida down in Miami. Sounds about right.

Well, based on last year, it is...

Zagsker
02-20-2009, 01:20 PM
THis is what I don't get

last week he has us a #6 seed in Boise

and our reward for moving UP a seed (meaing he thinks we are a more deserving tourney team than last week) is a trip to Miami to play Florida:confused:

Reborn
02-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Monday we were the highest #6 seed. This week we are the lowest #5. The lowest 5 seed goes to the same bracket at the Highest #1 seed which looks like North Carolina to me in the South Region. This would be as big of a disaster as us playing Davidson last year in the East where Davidson had home court advantage. Lunardi is losing his mind I think. Highest ranked PAC 10 team is a #4, and in fact he has 3 Pac 10 teams as 4th seeds. Why have a conference championship or a conference tournament with a championship if they end up in a 3 way tie for first place. And then their reward is a 4 seed. I would be VERY upset if I were a Pac 10 team right now. As is usual, all glory and honor goes to the East Coast.

The good news is that the Zags have 5 games left. If we win them all thlings will keep changing. I also think Lunardi sees that. He's pretty smart. If we don't win out maybe we desrve to go to Florida. Right now I'd almost take a 7 seed over a 5. I mean some of the toughest teams are 4 seeds (Marquette, Villanova).

GoZags
02-20-2009, 01:55 PM
The good news is that the Zags have 5 games left.

All due respect, Reborn, but I'm hoping the Zags have 6 games left (before Selection Sunday). The only way it totals 5 is if the outcome of the Sunday WCC semi-final goes a direction I'd just a soon not see.

bullzag23
02-20-2009, 02:13 PM
THis is what I don't get

and our reward for moving UP a seed (meaing he thinks we are a more deserving tourney team than last week) is a trip to Miami to play Florida:confused:

The good news here is that all 3 #5 seeds ahead of GU are: UW(top 5 seed), Arizona State(2nd 5 seed) and UCLA(3). While UW and UCLA(and UCLA/Az St.) have played each other twice already, there is the possibility that they will still meet in the Pac 10 tourney. UW and Arizona State still meet on Feb. 26th. So there is a good chance one of these teams will drop(at least one) below us in the seeding, but of course there is also a good chance that at least one of them will move further up as well.

The main issue here is that if all 3 of these teams end up with the same seed as GU, ALL of these are west coast teams and thus the 2 highest seeded teams would end up in Portland and Boise. I think the odds are against all the west coast teams ending up with the same seed.

BobZag
02-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Nice.

I prefer Jerry Palm's www.collegerpi.com bracket of today -- 5 seed Gonzaga taking on 12 seed Siena in Boise.

Ditto.

DADoZAG
02-20-2009, 02:19 PM
I wonder if covering the spread for the rest of the year might bring the ZAGS a little more love come selection Sunday.

lothar98zag
02-20-2009, 02:22 PM
I wonder if covering the spread for the rest of the year might bring the ZAGS a little more love come selection Sunday.
more love from the selection committee if they cover the spread? :confused: I really hope that the members of that committee don't even know how to find the spread for games.

BobZag
02-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Zags can get a 4 if they win out. Doing it impressively doesn't hurt. Lunardi think GU can be a 4. Just not in Miami vs Florida, please.

bullzag23
02-20-2009, 02:24 PM
I probably should have added this to my previous post, but Lunardi also gives us a 25% chance to move up to a 4 seed at this point. So at the very least, I imagine our chances are much better to move to one of the higher 5 seeds instead.

Edit:
Jerry Palm's site has Davidson currently as a 13 seed in Portland. How sweet would the revenge be(although I know the committee avoids these things) if we ended up as that 4 seed?

DADoZAG
02-20-2009, 02:32 PM
more love from the selection committee if they cover the spread? :confused: I really hope that the members of that committee don't even know how to find the spread for games.

You're right lothar. Perhaps if I'd tossed one of these... ;)

...at the end of my post...

lothar98zag
02-20-2009, 02:47 PM
You're right lothar. Perhaps if I'd tossed one of these... ;)

...at the end of my post...
if you were talking about betters in Vegas, I would have said yes... :D

Pleasant Peninsula
02-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Lunardi think GU can be a 4. Just not in Miami vs Florida, please.

The insider portion of the bracketology shows that Lunardi thinks Gonzaga has a 25% chance of moving up to a top 4 seed. Up 5% from last week.

Seems about right to me.

theirishzag03
02-20-2009, 03:57 PM
THis is what I don't get

TOTALLY AGREE!!! WTH??? Crap make us a #12, make Florida a #5 and make them play in Portland!!!

What is even worse is that the othe #5 seeds are all PAC-10 Teams and they all get to stay out west in Portland or Boise??? Come on Joseph, you can do better than that! At least send ASU to Miami, they are much closer to Miami than GU!...

JAGzag
02-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Jerry Palm's site has Davidson currently as a 13 seed in Portland. How sweet would the revenge be(although I know the committee avoids these things) if we ended up as that 4 seed?

Not so fast my friend. They did pit us against IU two years in a row and we all remember how that second game turned out ...

lothar98zag
02-20-2009, 04:38 PM
...The insider portion of the bracketology shows that Lunardi thinks Gonzaga has a 25% chance of moving up to a top 4 seed. Up 5% from last week...
What % to be a 5 or a 6?

DoMieD
02-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Im sure we'll end up being no higher than a 6 seed, and more than likely getting screwed over again, as always, such as playing Florida in Miami!

JAGzag
02-21-2009, 03:44 AM
Can someone answer this: I thought the benefit of getting a high seed was staying close to home. How is it teams like FL and Davidson with a double digit seed gets a home game? How is that anything less than intentional? To possibly get a low seed through??

gonstu
02-21-2009, 04:44 AM
Monday we were the highest #6 seed. This week we are the lowest #5. The lowest 5 seed goes to the same bracket at the Highest #1 seed which looks like North Carolina to me in the South Region.

I think the best/highest #1 seed would be matched up with the best/highest #5 seed, so doesn't that mean that Lunardi has us as the top #5?

GoZags
02-21-2009, 05:19 AM
Can someone answer this: I thought the benefit of getting a high seed was staying close to home. How is it teams like FL and Davidson with a double digit seed gets a home game? How is that anything less than intentional? To possibly get a low seed through??

I believe Minnesota and Stanford were asking precisely the same question in '99.

krozman
02-21-2009, 08:33 AM
I think the best/highest #1 seed would be matched up with the best/highest #5 seed, so doesn't that mean that Lunardi has us as the top #5?

The overall number 1 gets the worst 2, the best 3, the worst 4, and the best 5 the way I remember it, BUT the selection committee switches everything around to accomodate venue, matchups, etc, so honestly discussions on the "best 5" or the "worst 4" never really get serious attention when it comes down to it.

kdaleb
02-21-2009, 07:11 PM
If we get a 5 seed, we are very unlikely to play Florida in Miami as the NCAA attempts to protect the top 5 seed lines from playing an "away" game in the first round.

Other than that, there would be no location-related considerations given to us unless we climb to a 4 seed. If we get a 5 seed, then we'll got to whatever location the committee deems is best for the 4 seed in our pod. Of course, since most of the teams on the top 4 seed lines will likely come from not the west coast, there's a good chance that if we get a 5 seed we'll be in Boise or Portland (since all the other locations will be taken up by 1, 2, and 3 seed-based pods).

4AmericasTeam
02-21-2009, 07:15 PM
I wonder where UCLA is after today's Coug spanking

Reborn
02-21-2009, 11:42 PM
I'm wondering if Memphis is goingt to be a #1 seed, and the Zags a 4 or 5 in the West bracket?

JLGutrocks
02-22-2009, 12:24 AM
I'm wondering if Memphis is goingt to be a #1 seed, and the Zags a 4 or 5 in the West bracket?

Memphis won't be a 1.

Stache
02-22-2009, 10:12 AM
CBS Halftime show mentioned GU and SMC... and I'm paraphrasing: Seth said SMC is a tournament team, assuming that Patty Mills comes back healthy. Greg Anthony picked GU as the mid major with the best chance of doing things in the tournament. He suggested that Zags have underachieved during the season, that they have the necessary talent, and that AD and MB are hitting at the right time.... Just when I thought we had the expectations in check. . . ?

fedwayzag
02-22-2009, 01:36 PM
Kinda crazy, but every game I watched over the weekend(approximately 7) had a mention by the annoucers of GU. Loved magic Johnson talking about Jud Jeathcote adn his GU connection.