• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angelo Roncalli
    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
    • Feb 2007

Underrated?

#17 Gonzaga - Coach Mark Few might want to think twice about scheduling games against tough out-of-conference teams. Losses to UConn, Arizona and Memphis have certainly quieted the buzz around the Bulldogs, who at one point in the season were ranked as high as #4, but the team is still stacked. They're 12-1 in 2009 and have the size, speed and talent to make a deep run in the tournament.
    Examiner has transformed into a major player in financial news. Think stocks, crypto, banks - if it's about money, it's on Examiner.com.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor
  • dnj116
    Kennel Club Alum
    • Oct 2007

I still truly believe that we can beat anyone in the country on any given night. Just as that post stated, we DO have the size, speed and talent to make a deep run.

Whether or not we're "under-rated" will have to wait until March, when it's put up or shut up time for this group of Zags. This very well may be the most talented Gonzaga team to date, lets see if they rise to the occasion and become the best team to date.

Comment

• gamagin
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

I think our detractors would

think the other way around. For in reality we have fared better in the mythical polls than we have in the deciding polls that follow the actual playoffs most of the last 10 years.

that said, I think we spark our players, program, the league and fans by venturing onto the road and showing the world we are capable of beating anyone anytime.

And it has not only worked well for us, it signals that this school is in it to win it and has done just that enough times to command respect. Certainly from our opponents. And we do.

I think it would be nigh on impossible to expect that kind of reputation without the risk.

Go Zags !
      Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
      Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
      Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• 75Zag
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2007

Polls vs Reality

I am tired of polls. If GU loses in the first round, endless whining and "I told you so" will prevail. If GU wins one game at the NCAAs they will be playing ok but generally below expectations. A second win = playing well but not over the top. A third win = much better than most people expected, but not yet elite. Fourth win = a national elite program and GU can tell its detractors to kiss its under-rated posterior. From there, everything is gravy.

But before we break out the champagne, how about that first win?!

Go Bulldogs!
        Do not go gentle into that good night,
        Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
        Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

• lothar98zag
          PostPadder General
          • Feb 2007

GU rankings:

Sagarin - 9, 16, & 24
          kenpom - 14
          AP - 17
          ESPN - 20
          realtimeRPI -34
          RPI Forecast - 41

Underrated? maybe....
          youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Comment

• Ezag
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Nope not underrated but I would like to see a tourney run with a chip on their shoulders and actually do the damage they are capable of but I am also prepared for the fact that we could get bounced in the first round too.

Comment

Working...
            X