PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting News and Tidbits

BobZag
02-20-2009, 10:59 AM
2010 Joe Harris had another solid night for Chelan, scoring 28 points on 10-20 FG, 8-11 FT, and 6 rebounds, 5 assists. Chelan next plays Brewster, these two have gone OT their previous two games.

As noted by mrob, 2011 Brett Kingma has returned with avengeance, scoring solid numbers with one arm heavily wrapped.

Another 2011 guard, Gary Bell of Kentridge, is also on Gonzaga's radar. It will be very interesting, both Kingma and Bell are superb. Could be a dynamic duo, or the staff may take only one of them.

Also...

Congrats to Bol Kong. Welcome to Gonzaga in May.

MickMick
02-20-2009, 11:01 AM

Managed to discreetly slip that one in there....didn't ya?

mthm142
02-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Managed to discreetly slip that one in there....didn't ya?

Not that discreet!!!

Opinions expressed in any of my post, replies, or comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer or it's subsidiaries.

JAGzag
02-20-2009, 11:13 AM

After months of waiting, this news is considered a "tidbit?" That's setting the bar pretty high, hey BZ?! :) Awesome news!

hockeyzag
02-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Also...

I hope there will be some kind of article that can tell us (in detail) what has lead to his acceptance into the school and the country. I'm thinking a nice long feel good story on ESPN would do the trick.

rennis
02-20-2009, 12:20 PM
awesome.

I don't follow recruiting much because I hate getting my hopes up for a player and then losing them...

What will Kong do for us next year?

skan72
02-20-2009, 12:23 PM
2010 Joe Harris had another solid night for Chelan, scoring 28 points on 10-20 FG, 8-11 FT, and 6 rebounds, 5 assists. Chelan next plays Brewster, these two have gone OT their previous two games.

As noted by mrob, 2011 Brett Kingma has returned with avengeance, scoring solid numbers with one arm heavily wrapped.

Another 2011 guard, Gary Bell of Kentridge, is also on Gonzaga's radar. It will be very interesting, both Kingma and Bell are superb. Could be a dynamic duo, or the staff may take only one of them.

Also...

Gary Bell from Kentridge hmmm...do they wear green jerseys? A kid from Kentridge was asked to scrimmage with the Gonzaga guys at one of the team camps this past summer, I think it was because he was in the dunk contest or three point contest. He did quite well and then Tommy Loyd talked to him after, had a form out and then walked him away from the campers, out of sight, to talk, I assume.
Do you know if that is the same guy BZ?

MississppiZag
02-20-2009, 12:24 PM
From what I have seen and read, I would think Kong is capable of scoring 15 any night, when he asserts himself. I think he is the perfect replacement for what Downs has done for this years team. He will come in knock down shots (especially mid-range) and get to the lane. He can play great D, with his 6'7'' height and 7'2'' wingspan. He will provide great energy and athleticism off the bench, similar to what Downs has done. He will likely average 7-9 pts, if I had to guess.

That's my opinion anyways.;)

dnj116
02-20-2009, 12:45 PM
WOW, THIS ABSOLUTELY GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had essentially counted Kong as a for-sure thing for next year, but now that its official, I couldn't be more excited.

*Kinda hard to pay attention in class with this kind of news posted....

lothar98zag
02-20-2009, 12:49 PM
I hope there will be some kind of article that can tell us (in detail) what has lead to his acceptance into the school and the country. I'm thinking a nice long feel good story on ESPN would do the trick.
I doubt there's a link now, but hopefully one will show up soon...

GoZags
02-20-2009, 12:53 PM
WOW, THIS ABSOLUTELY GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had essentially counted Kong as a for-sure thing for next year, but now that its official, I couldn't be more excited.

*Kinda hard to pay attention in class with this kind of news posted....

Please understand that "official" really means a Press Release from Gonzaga University -- and a story on the official Athletic Department website. This is not the "official" means of communication for Gonzaga University.

That being said, I'd also like to say "Welcome" to Bol.

Pargo the Destroyer
02-20-2009, 01:43 PM
is bol bringing his brother sasquatch with him?

He is a figment of your imaginations people, he does not exist. On another note.............

welcome aboard Bol!

Your game will be hashed, rehashed, sliced, pickled, jarred, un jarred, resliced, minced, chopped up, ground up, put into a blender, drank, regurgitated, and drank again this time through a straw by many of the fine folk currently residing on this board.

lothar98zag
02-20-2009, 01:54 PM
12 replies and 375 views in just under 3 hours. How many more would there be if the thread title was different...

Oh, & btw, assuming BZ is right...

WELCOME KONG!:clap:

23dpg
02-20-2009, 01:55 PM

Also...

Now that is what I call burying the lead.

BobZag
02-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Gary Bell from Kentridge hmmm...do they wear green jerseys? A kid from Kentridge was asked to scrimmage with the Gonzaga guys at one of the team camps this past summer, I think it was because he was in the dunk contest or three point contest. He did quite well and then Tommy Loyd talked to him after, had a form out and then walked him away from the campers, out of sight, to talk, I assume.
Do you know if that is the same guy BZ?

Yes, green jerseys. :)

LongIslandZagFan
02-20-2009, 02:41 PM
I'll be the stick in the mud until I see a news story saying he has his visa. I just don't want to get excited over something that bureaucrats can screw up with a blink of an eye.

I'll be happier than a pig in you know what when he is seen on campus with a practice jersey on though.

zaguarxj
02-20-2009, 03:03 PM

Ah, I guess that's the "and Tidbits" part. Any idea when will we get some kind of official word? I know a definitive statement from BobZag is pretty darn close to official but I'd still love to see a press release.

GoZags
02-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Ah, I guess that's the "and Tidbits" part. Any idea when will we get some kind of official word? I know a definitive statement from BobZag is pretty darn close to official but I'd still love to see a press release.

I think we'll know "officially" like we knew with Ronny -- when he's on campus.
Just my opinion (btw -- it's also my belief that the deal is done -- he's coming).

guniverse
02-20-2009, 03:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf0CdfUa-qA

theirishzag03
02-20-2009, 03:28 PM
awesome.

I don't follow recruiting much because I hate getting my hopes up for a player and then losing them...

What will Kong do for us next year?

He instantly raises EXPECTATIONS around here. The Zags will make it BACK to the Final Four again next year with the addition of Kong!

bigblahla
02-20-2009, 03:34 PM
He instantly raises EXPECTATIONS around here. The Zags will make it BACK to the Final Four again next year with the addition of Kong!

And maintain the incredible winning margin of 1+ in every victory.

Can't go wrong with Kong!

Go!! Zags!!!

Baldwinzag
02-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Great news on Kong! The Zags are supersized with the new BK Large;) .

Speaking of Bol, does anyone know what he's been up to the past year? Last I heard, he finished his season with Douglas College last March '08, yet sounds as if he hasn't played organized basketball in over a year. Does anyone have the lastest?

lothar98zag
02-20-2009, 04:47 PM

:D

NotoriousZ
02-20-2009, 05:23 PM
KONG

jscrk
02-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Of all of the recruits which Gonzaga is bringing in next year, who would you say is the most likely to have an immediate impact and get significant playing time.

Also, to which athlete on the past GU basketball teams would you compare Kong. Is Kong a shooter?

DoMieD
02-20-2009, 05:38 PM
KONG! Nice.

azzagfan
02-20-2009, 07:00 PM
I know it's been used before and will at some point get old, but...

It's Meech and Kong out on the break!

drogba11
02-20-2009, 07:55 PM

Also...

Look Bob your chick pic freaks me out a little, but your post freaks me out even more. I hope your posting facts and not BS. What's with the Bol Kong statement? You trying to be a funny man or you have an update, if so what's your source? I read your blog rules I hope you did the same.

wazZag
02-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Look Bob your chick pic freaks me out a little, but your post freaks me out even more. I hope your posting facts and not BS. What's with the Bol Kong statement? You trying to be a funny man or you have an update, if so what's your source? I read your blog rules I hope you did the same.

Welcome. You'll figure it out.

thespywhozaggedme
02-20-2009, 08:40 PM
I'm the man.

hls97
02-20-2009, 09:06 PM
As Carl Denham would say:

http://www.modernhometheater.com/gifs/movies/king_kong/kingkong6.jpg

I GIVE YOU KONG!

CB4
02-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Long time listener, first time caller...

Unless BZ has heard directly from either Kong or GU, this should probably be considered another rumour and it should be treated that way... with a grain of salt. I say this because it has been pretty well known in the Canadian college basketball community (BCCAA/CIS) for at least the last month and a half that it is an impossibility for Kong to head south of the border at this point. Because of this, he is looking at UBC and SFX of the CIS, favouring the latter.

Additionally, the common consensus is that he will stay there a year, possibly two, before either making another attempt to get into the US (via NBA Draft) or heading overseas.

vandalzag
02-21-2009, 06:46 PM

Unless BZ has heard directly from either Kong or GU, this should probably be considered another rumour and it should be treated that way... with a grain of salt. I say this because it has been pretty well known in the Canadian college basketball community (BCCAA/CIS) for at least the last month and a half that it is an impossibility for Kong to head south of the border at this point. Because of this, he is looking at UBC and SFX of the CIS, favouring the latter.

Additionally, the common consensus is that he will stay there a year, possibly two, before either making another attempt to get into the US (via NBA Draft) or heading overseas.

Great First Post

BobZag
02-21-2009, 06:47 PM
I stand by my very high placed source.

Pargo the Destroyer
02-21-2009, 06:47 PM

Im gonna go ahead and put my money with BZ, he may be connected a little more closely to things than what you could imagine..............eh?