PDA

View Full Version : Great Game Zags

Reborn
02-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Just what I was hoping for from our Seniors. They all played great, and I really enjoyed it. The surprise was Gray going off for 20 second half points, lighting it up from the 3's. I told you I saw visions of torpedos. And they were dead on target. Can't wait until we see how many three's. Downs also played great, and I think Pargo's best game at the point.

I was hoping they'd get 100, but they did beat them by 37, and hopfully some of the guys had enough confidence in the Zags to collect some money.

zagfan08
02-19-2009, 07:11 PM
We need to keep the lineup the same. Gray is better than Downs, but when Downs comes off the bench it seems to hurt his scoring. Gray is just better suited in that role.

Good to see balanced scoring, everyone played well. Nothing to get too excited about, unfortunately. LMU is terrible.

snebzag
02-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Great game by all. I picked Zags to score 92. Missed it by one. One foul shot. Great defense again. I don't think Gray is better than Downs. I think they are both good. Micah brought so much energy on both ends. Steven played well underneath and just caught and shot for his three's, made it look easy. Micah busted his Keester on both ends again. Great team effort. I am a happy man.

TM27
02-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Competition breeds excellence....good move by staff to pit Micah against Steven. Few says, "Johnny Hustle gets the minutes, which one of you wants it?" Both are players that lose focus, yet both can take over games when attacking. IMO it is important to remember that bad teams make good teams look great ...but it is obvious that when Micah and Steven are both bringing "it", GU is a much more dangerous team.
Kudos to Matt tonight. Love watching players that dont press and simply let the game come to them. He impacts the game in so many ways.

Reborn
02-19-2009, 09:49 PM
There's a saying I like. "Don't fix it if it isn't broken." I think the line-up rightnow is perfect. And when we were gelling at the beginning of the year, Downs started and Gray was coming in off the bench.

It was great seeing the gang having some fun tonight. After Few took the starters out, during one of the time outs you could see Pargo laughing it up with the guys and even dancing. I think he's back. He just looked back tonight. I thought his decision making was the best it's been for a very long time.

T-bonedazag
02-19-2009, 10:24 PM
6 assists to 1 TO sounds back to me...if he would only bring back the fro-hawk, or we should re-name it as the Go-hawk ;)

Zag79
02-20-2009, 12:04 AM
problem solved. the lineup that will win big games in march is the one that started this game. micah is a better overall player than gray, and comes out fast to set the tone. notice no slow start? also, gray is more comfortable off the bench and it showed. pargo with another wing man like micah opened up the floor and no TOs. finally, man defense was great!

kitzbuel
02-20-2009, 04:51 AM
I think any lineup we would have put out there last night would have looked good.

LongIslandZagFan
02-20-2009, 05:56 AM
I know I am personally disappointed with every aspect of last night's game.

a) They let a lowly LMU team actually score more than 50 points.
b) They did not score 100+ points
c) The rebound margin was only +13... it should have been +30.
d) Only 10 blocked shots... I mean come on... are you kidding me!
e) We allowed them to shoot 58% from the charity stripe. Unacceptable!
f) Only 4 players in double figures.

This team went out and played with no heart... no desire. I don't know how any of you could be happy with this win.

Zagsker
02-20-2009, 06:27 AM
You win by 47 so it is very silly saying this but....they looked sloppy (again)...It would be easy to say "well it's LMU and these kinda things happen" (as Ehlo was saying)....but IMO, with 6 games (atmost) to go before the tourney...an LMU type of team is a team you should be working on to clean up your passing/decision making

Again, I am not disappointed in the overall performance, far from it (hell we shot above 50% from both 2 and 3 land and held them to 31% from the field and 29% from 3)....but I am just nitpicking on some things that I was hoping to see being worked on

gamagin
02-20-2009, 07:00 AM
You win by 47 so it is very silly saying this but....they looked sloppy (again)...It would be easy to say "well it's LMU and these kinda things happen" (as Ehlo was saying)....but IMO, with 6 games (atmost) to go before the tourney...an LMU type of team is a team you should be working on to clean up your passing/decision making

Again, I am not disappointed in the overall performance, far from it (hell we shot above 50% from both 2 and 3 land and held them to 31% from the field and 29% from 3)....but I am just nitpicking on some things that I was hoping to see being worked on

two things grated on me.

lack of boards underneath (meaning positioning) and lack of rejections, blocks and basically stinginess against shorter LMU players, too many of whom made it to the basket for layins way too many times. this was a scrimmage, after all, and time to sharpen this up, imo.

We need to get more serious underneath (muscular, positioning, harassing etc) at both ends if we hope beat some of the teams we need to beat at the WCC tourney and beyond, imo.

McZag
02-20-2009, 07:00 AM
I know I am personally disappointed with every aspect of last night's game.

a) They let a lowly LMU team actually score more than 50 points.
b) They did not score 100+ points
c) The rebound margin was only +13... it should have been +30.
d) Only 10 blocked shots... I mean come on... are you kidding me!
f) Only 4 players in double figures.

This team went out and played with no heart... no desire. I don't know how any of you could be happy with this win.

LIZF you have consistently helped to keep the expectations in check this year. Thumbs up and thanks for keeping the board grounded.

:cheers:

bballbeachbum
02-20-2009, 07:08 AM
liked the energy, the focus, guys on the floor, boxing out the perimeter

like this quote from Coach Few on reaching 12 consecutive 20-win seasons and 9 consecutive WCC titles with last night's W

"It never gets old," coach Mark Few said. "A streak like that speaks volumes on the program and how it hasn't let up."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=290502250

GO ZAGS!!!

bullzag23
02-20-2009, 07:46 AM

I know, our FT% defense this year is TERRIBLE :p I really want to see more effort down on the blocks, never let those FTs in!

HillBillyZag
02-20-2009, 08:13 AM
Will Foster got a whole six minutes, in that time he had 4 rebounds 3 blocks and around four attempts to feed him for a bucket (all feeble passes). He affected the game as always. Why do they make such lousy passes to the inside, except for the dunks and ally-oops by cutters passes going to the inside( regardless of who is in there) are badly in need of some work. I know we like to watch Ira dunk & hustle, but he does not change the game on defense, Will does. Against a team like this he should have gotten 10-15 minutes.

gamagin
02-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Will Foster got a whole six minutes, in that time he had 4 rebounds 3 blocks and around four attempts to feed him for a bucket (all feeble passes). He affected the game as always. Why do they make such lousy passes to the inside, except for the dunks and ally-oops by cutters passes going to the inside( regardless of who is in there) are badly in need of some work. I know we like to watch Ira dunk & hustle, but he does not change the game on defense, Will does. Against a team like this he should have gotten 10-15 minutes.

there have been alot of efforts made to feed Big Tree Foster underneath. There seems to be an issue with his ability to see, catch and release or shoot while underneath. It leads to a break in the flow, the action, the timing etc etc

Ira was trying to get it into WF two times and frankly they were poor passes. But I think it is Ira trying too hard to put it where Will might catch it instead of passing it where Will should be (in order to get a bucket) and thus overcompensating and so forth.

I've seen it with others, too. I think they stop trying. Ira did not. But my guess is it reflects, as a result, on Ira, not Will. But I've seen the attempt too many times to mistake it "just" to a bad pass -- even though Ira's were bad passes. It takes two to coordinate the play.

HillBillyZag
02-20-2009, 09:49 AM
Gam, I would bet a Davids combo pizza and a cold adult beverage on my hunch that if Will keeps on working on that little drop step, develops ANY kind of complimentary shot(baby hook, jumper, etc.) keeps getting stronger and continues to work hard he will see much more PT next season than some folks think.

gamagin
02-20-2009, 10:11 AM
Gam, I would bet a Davids combo pizza and a cold adult beverage on my hunch that if Will keeps on working on that little drop step, develops ANY kind of complimentary shot(baby hook, jumper, etc.) keeps getting stronger and continues to work hard he will see much more PT next season than some folks think.

or 60% shooting, inside 5 feet, with at least 12 pt. minimum total made from the field and I'm in.

And I hope to pay.