PDA

View Full Version : WCC Player of the Year. From the S-R

23dpg
02-18-2009, 09:39 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2009/feb/18/bouldin-line-wcc-player-year/

Tough call again this year.

Zag79
02-18-2009, 11:08 PM
i say josh if not bryant. but im also looking from the whole season, not just wcc play.

cjm720
02-19-2009, 06:49 AM
Bouldin or Bryant...Mills lost his chance.

heavyzag
02-19-2009, 07:05 AM
I love the Zags and think Bouldin has played great but Bryant has been dominant.

Once and Future Zag
02-19-2009, 07:09 AM
Based on "raw" numbers it's pretty clear Bryant would be it if that's all that was taken into account - but since it sounds like they're taking into account team success, I think it's a co-MVP situation with Bouldin and Bryant.

It should be virtually unanimous for coach of the year though - Eric Reveno has done an amazing job turning Portland around.

malmer7
02-19-2009, 07:21 AM
agree that based on raw numbers bryant is the choice - do you think they take into account his success (or lack there of) against us however (probably not)?
i haven't checked on how bouldin did against santa clara, but if we shut down the big man twice don't you think it would have to give bouldin the edge? i'm thinking we're headed for co-mvp's as well however.
good call on coaching mvp, i don't think anyone's going to argue with the UP choice.

CDC84
02-19-2009, 08:26 AM
I would be very surprised if Bouldin doesn't win at least part of it for this reason:

Bryant’s numbers are impressive. He has four games with 20-plus points and rebounds, most in the country. He has 21 double-doubles this season, including 10 of 11 WCC games. But the Broncos are currently in fourth place. Only once in the last eight years was the player of the year award shared. GU’s Derek Raivio shared the honor with Santa Clara’s Sean Denison in 2007, when the Broncos lost two games on the last weekend of the regular season to drop behind Gonzaga in the standings. Other than Denison, San Francisco’s Kenyon Jones in 2000 was the last player on a non-championship team to win the award. USF placed fifth as Pepperdine claimed the title.

sittingon50
02-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Reveno has done a terrific job but if the Zags run the table I think Few has to get it.

zag944
02-19-2009, 10:17 AM
ugh, I forgot how ridiculous Denison winning Co-POY was. A little GU backlash in the voting in my mind.

I think team success is factored into these sort of things too much. Teams award themselves with conference titles and championships. To me the award should go to the best player. It isn't Bryant's fault he doesnt have the same talent around him MB does. On the flip side, who knows what kind of numbers MB would put up if he was shouldering more of a load. Whatever. Its in the eye of the beholder.

Given the voting format (there are only 8 total votes if Im not mistaken), I wouldnt be remotely suprised to see a split.

lothar98zag
02-19-2009, 10:21 AM
ugh, I forgot how ridiculous Denison winning Co-POY was. A little GU backlash in the voting in my mind.
don't think it was anti-GU, I think it was just some of the voters picking the "best" player on the "best" team that year - except they voted several days early...and then the best team changed...

EngineerZag
02-19-2009, 10:27 AM
I think Bryant and Bouldin should get a split and Reveno should get COY award.

zag944
02-19-2009, 10:27 AM
i just remember watching the conference tournament championship game that year.

The ESPN announcer was comparing the two players when GU was wrapping up the win and he said something to the affect of "Raivio has played well while Denison has been relatively quiet". Denison had played the game approximately to his season averages.

Even if they were the better team (they werent), that starting lineup was so balanced that no one really stood ahead of the rest. If Pariseau or one of the other guys would have been nominated it still wouldve been a split.

FuManShoes
02-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Lowhorn's averaging 20 & 7. San Fran sucks but they'd suck a lot more without that guy. I understand the rational behind rewarding the best player on the best team -- it sends the message that results matter -- but there's also something to be said for individuals who stand out on lousy teams. That's why if I were voting I'd go for Bryant, Lowhorn or maybe Raivio before Bouldin. Boulddin's been consistent and solid but he has a much better supporting cast -- guys who command defensive attention. It's a good discussion.

Tmac5360
02-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Love Bouldin and think he and Bryant are both deserving. As far as coaches go. I think Few is great and running the table is possible still. But Reveno is really doing something great with those guys. Now is they go on to lose 2 or 3 more maybe my mind changes but right now it him.

Zagatron
02-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Why all the doubt with Bouldin? I get the feeling on here people don't think Bouldin should get it and he has had just as good or better of a season then Jeremy did last year. Everyone on here was all for Jeremy getting it. I think Bouldin should get it because he is the best player or playing the best for the best team in conference. Bryant is a stud but they lose a lot of games.

OZZag
02-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Take Bryant away from SCU and they would be bottom of the table. Keep in mind that they are starting three freshmen and thier sixth man is a Sophomore. Plus JB has been through a lot this year (with the stabbing etc). I think all in the WCC have seen a real transformation in JB over his four years and given the respect the WCC community has for each, will consider John worthy. Matt has been the Rock that has kept the Zags together. It should be split.............

Bogozags
02-19-2009, 06:37 PM
i say josh if not bryant. but im also looking from the whole season, not just wcc play.

Josh has been a defensive stop. He has held each opposing post player under their averages in each meeting! Not sure if we would have won 15 games this year if he hadn't put his heart into his defensive effort. He never complains when he is open and doesn't get the ball...he plays out of position as he is a natural four (and still would love to see this rotation: Josh, Foster, Daye, Downs and Bouldin on the court at the same time)...sure Bouldin has scored more, had more assists but think Josh has been the mule of this team and would be deserving of the award...in my humble opinion...

Zag79
02-20-2009, 12:00 AM
actually josh scores more and rebounds more than anyone on our team. hes the mvp. bouldin has been more consistent, and turning into a great player. but thi big man is the difference maker.