• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

3 point FG percentage defense as of 2/18

Gonzaga is now defending the 3 point line at 34.8%, which is ranked at 199th in the country.

It's a good thing they continue to be #1 in the country in 2 point field goal percentage defense:

• LongIslandZagFan
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
    Gonzaga is now defending the 3 point line at 34.8%, which is ranked at 199th in the country.

It's a good thing they continue to be #1 in the country in 2 point field goal percentage defense:

http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Gonzaga

Question. Not that I think this is the answer, just shooting for dialog here. Do you think that the reason the 3pt% is so high is because its is all we are allowing teams to shoot? Conversely, would our FG% suffer if we focused on the 3? Final note... keep in mind that 3pt shooting is rolled into fg%.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• CDC84
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

All I know is that the 3 point defense has gotten progressively worse over the last month. 3 out of the last 4 opponents have nailed the Zags for 11 or more 3 pointers, and the last 6 opponents have shot 42.4% from behind the arc. The perimeter defense just isn't as good as it was earlier in the year - not only with defending the 3 point line, but also containing the bounce.

Comment

• rennis
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2007

All I know is that the 3 point defense has gotten progressively worse over the last month. 3 out of the last 4 opponents have nailed the Zags for 11 or more 3 pointers, and the last 6 opponents have shot 42.4% from behind the arc.

I think the guards are not containing the bounce like they were earlier in the season. Especially...I hate to say this...Pargo. They get sucked into the lane, and this leads to kick outs.
        Agreed...every game I watch a guard (whether it be Pargo, Gray, Bouldin, you name it) get sucked unneccesarily into the lane...trust those shot blockers in the paint guys! If that perimiter defender gets past you, he's got a lot more to deal with...stay on your man on the perimeter.
        Originally posted by Coach Few
        We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• cjm720
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by rennis View Post
          Agreed...every game I watch a guard (whether it be Pargo, Gray, Bouldin, you name it) get sucked unneccesarily into the lane...trust those shot blockers in the paint guys! If that perimiter defender gets past you, he's got a lot more to deal with...stay on your man on the perimeter.
          I'd like to see stats of our 3 pt. defense % vs. minutes in zone defense. I bet there's a high correlation.

LIZF, in looking at Pomeroy's page, 2 pt. FG% is separate from the 3 pt. FG%. Our effective defensive FG% is 43.8%, which is ranked 8th in the country...given the 199 rank in 3 pt. defense, that's quite spectacular!
          Go Zags!!!

Comment

• gamagin
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

I'm not sure how you measure this, but

given the trays we've seen in the past several games by our opponents, there has to be some sort of balance to the fact that we've run up against some shooters who seem to reach their career peaks against only us.

Otherwise, they are good shooters. But against us, they have had great games. We seem to inspire that in even our weakest teams.

that said, there is a definite need to clamp down on the hot hand. We are not famous for doing that. Yet. And leaving them open too often to get a good look and shoot from their favorite spots seems to encourge them.
            Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
            Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
            Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• malmer7
              Kennel Club
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by gamagin View Post
              given the trays we've seen in the past several games by our opponents, there has to be some sort of balance to the fact that we've run up against some shooters who seem to reach their career peaks against only us.

Otherwise, they are good shooters. But against us, they have had great games. We seem to inspire that in even our weakest teams.

that said, there is a definite need to clamp down on the hot hand. We are not famous for doing that. Yet. And leaving them open too often to get a good look and shoot from their favorite spots seems to encourge them.
              i'm glad you saved it with that last line - because i see the same thing as you, i just tend to believe they hit that peak because we leave them so open.
              now - that being said, it still seems like some guys get abnormally hot from outside against us even with a hand in their face (patty mills).
              i think the problem is that we leave shooters open, they make one or two, get that confidence flowing to where they feel like they can't miss, no matter who's in their face - that's what i saw in the USF game anyways.

Comment

• gamagin
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

malmer writes

<< now - that being said, it still seems like some guys get abnormally hot from outside against us even with a hand in their face (patty mills).>>

there are those who disagree on this.

My view & angle showed Patty got many open looks. even unattended open shots. granted he's great. granted he doesn't take but a millisecond to set up. we didn't buttonhole him enough.

those shots of patty's that may have appeared to be with someone in front of him too often, imo, were the kinds I suspect you saw vs usf: one of ours running towards the shooter, but being too far away, and thus, not getting there in time to do anything but leap up short and late. AFTER the shooter set and was ready for the shot. Not before or during as is require for good D, imo.

The other fact of life is some of these guys literally can shoot from left or center field and still be damaging, when on a roll.

That you can't coach against. meaning a guy is going to get those shots now and again.

BUT. But sticking to a hot hand, well, I posit we can do something about that if only we will.
                Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• Zag365
                  Zag for Life
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by malmer7 View Post
                  i think the problem is that we leave shooters open, they make one or two, get that confidence flowing to where they feel like they can't miss, no matter who's in their face - that's what i saw in the USF game anyways.
                  Even my 15-year-old can see this. He can't stand it. "Dad, how come we keep letting them have wide open threes? This is stupid. Nooooo, don't let them have another one . . . ."

Comment

• Reborn
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2007

Zags have played more Zone in the last 4 games. And we have had a tendency to stay in the zone too long. Earlier in the year the Zags were mixing defenses up continuously tryin to keep opponents off balance. We are becoming more and more predictable. And the game we were the most predictable was Memphis, and played Zone way too long.

I also believe there are, and there always has been, very good three point shooters in the WCC. The one thing about smaller conferences is that they do have good 3 pt shooters. There are a ton of 3 pt shooters in America. Many of them seem to land in the WCC. Teams like Portland, San Francisco, Loyola Marymount and maybe Pepperdine are not that athletic nor big. But they all have great 3 pt shooters. Heck. Portland has about 4 of them, and we've played them twice already.
                    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• BobZag
                      Dark Lord of the Zag
                      • Jan 2007

All I know is that the 3 point defense has gotten progressively worse over the last month. 3 out of the last 4 opponents have nailed the Zags for 11 or more 3 pointers, and the last 6 opponents have shot 42.4% from behind the arc. The perimeter defense just isn't as good as it was earlier in the year - not only with defending the 3 point line, but also containing the bounce.
                      This won't do. It needs to stop. Simple as that.
                      The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• lothar98zag
                        PostPadder General
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cjm720 View Post
                        I'd like to see stats of our 3 pt. defense % vs. minutes in zone defense. I bet there's a high correlation.

LIZF, in looking at Pomeroy's page, 2 pt. FG% is separate from the 3 pt. FG%. Our effective defensive FG% is 43.8%, which is ranked 8th in the country...given the 199 rank in 3 pt. defense, that's quite spectacular!
                        #8 in eFG&#37; when we all know they can do better.

(as long as they don't get worse) I'll take it.
                        youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Comment

• Zag79
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

interesting topic, as im a huge fan of few mixing it up more as the game goes on. i dont mind the zone against certain teams and players, i fully understand hoops and its concepts. BUT, against teams that are much less athletic than us and really have no chance at winning UNLESS they hit mad threes play man! fews theory that we werent athletic enough, well i agreed in the late 90s. but the latest zag teams have plenty of athleticism to run man, few chooses not to. start out in zone, and if they get going from three switch to man. switch it up often to confuse them. no one can argue its too damn easy to shoot 3s against us and theres no excuse. its beyond the players now as we have the same issue regardless of the name on the back of the jersey.

Comment

• siliconzag
                            Bleeds GU Blue
                            • Feb 2007

3 points

Too little too late. Good defense is played with the feet, not with harassing hands. If the ball has left the shooters hand, and they have a clean look and launch a bee bee, the ball doesn't care that the defender's hand is in the shooter's face after it is well on the way to the basket. I think we over collapse at times and this leads to all these wide open looks. True we close quickly to harass the shooter, but the ball is half way to the basket by the time the hand arrives. We get torched over and over. Only AJ Price's three to tie the U Conn game was tightly defended.

Sili

Comment

• edcasey
                              Bulldog Fan
                              • Dec 2008

last time I checked good defense meant you kept your opponent from scoring 1 fewer point than your team did and we have done a pretty good job of that so far this year. Top that cup of "pollyanna ice cream" off with some whipping cream of being ranked #8 in the COUNTRY for overall shooting percentage...I think we are doing a pretty doggone good job

I would LOVE to see a stat that shows first half vs second half shooting percentages for our team.

Why?
                              My take is the game plan is generally written to affect a person from the other team based upon their skills and tendencies. Sometimes, especially when you are the TARGET, teams step up and can hit shots that normally they dont hit......then we adjust and second half we tend to shut down the hot shooters making the opponent go to identified weakness

Several games this year that occured......tennessee where the young man could not miss comes to mind but second half adjustments shut him down........

So my educated guess is our second half defensive numbers are better in all but memphis game.......

Comment

Working...
                              X