PDA

View Full Version : Few on the high expectations and GU fans

gamagin
02-17-2009, 05:29 PM
http://www.krem.com/video/sports-index.html?nvid=333153

Zag79
02-17-2009, 05:49 PM
hmm, not to talk myself up but im sure there are posts around here from the beginning of the season when i said im going to enjoy this season, game by game, minute by minute because i really enjoy this group of zags. win or lose, gripes or compliments, i live for this time of year! go ZAGS! :D

theirishzag03
02-17-2009, 05:50 PM
http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/viewcbse.asp?sid=1146&cs_key=1791
http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/viewcbse.asp?sid=1146&cs_key=1902

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/viewcbse.asp?sid=1146&cs_key=1801
http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/viewcbse.asp?sid=1146&cs_key=1908

This is a bit brutal....BUT the cool part is the first rankings were fresh off the OSC win-

A similar run in the NCAA tourney and both will vault WAY back up the lists! It also goes to show that "negative" posters are not the only critical ones with higher expectations.

Section 116
02-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Nice find Gamagin. We typically don't get a lot from Few other than the pregame radio broadcasts and a few soundbites.

Reborn
02-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Glad to hear Few say he thinks the guys are getting along and still having fun. Sili had me worried there. I'd say in review of games, that the guys do look like they get along and are enjoying each others' good plays. The guys looked really great against St. Mary's. I have watched that game several times now and really enjoy it. We must remember how THE OTHER teams we play will be playing against us because we are Gonzaga. That is the truth because I have seen these guys play other teams and they have way less energy and enthusiasm. Sometimes, their tough play and desire to win does make us look worse than we think we should look because some fans expect that we'll beat everyone in conference by 20+. HUGE MISTAKE by fans.

Few'w interview reminds me of a threat I just posted on. He said we should be happy and enjoy what the guys are doing, and encouraged us to keep perspective of the history of GU basketball and remember what it could be.

Zag79
02-17-2009, 06:06 PM
very cool find irishzag, seems fairly ranked too. my argument would be depending on the player and position i would still take certain players we have over many listed above them. for instance, give me pargo over rochestie every day of the week. no bouldin anywhere. and it looks like josh and daye are still on the lists contrary to what some posters think of them. interesting!

kitzbuel
02-17-2009, 06:12 PM
http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/viewcbse.asp?sid=1146&cs_key=1791
http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/viewcbse.asp?sid=1146&cs_key=1902

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/viewcbse.asp?sid=1146&cs_key=1801
http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/viewcbse.asp?sid=1146&cs_key=1908

This is a bit brutal....BUT the cool part is the first rankings were fresh off the OSC win-

A similar run in the NCAA tourney and both will vault WAY back up the lists! It also goes to show that "negative" posters are not the only critical ones with higher expectations.

I am not sure what this has to do with the topic.:confused: :confused:

LongIslandZagFan
02-17-2009, 06:30 PM

Just another chance to rag on Pargo and Few, Kitz.

Best quote out of the interview were "We aren't UNC or Duke"... but boy do some out there think we are. Just enjoy it people instead of tearing down what you love. Its like this scene in Tommy Boy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuVRY9PgQ30) around here lately.

theirishzag03
02-17-2009, 06:33 PM
I would take Pargo over most, maybe not Lavance Fields or Johnny Flynn. But I have already seen him eat Lawson alive! Tyreke at the point is scary too!

Bouldin is listed as a Sm. Forward (#19)after the OSC, but being a tweener kind of hurts. If we were a 2 guard offense I think he would get more recognition as a very versatile 2.

Josh being grouped with prototype centers does not help a lot either, Thabeet is a good true post, but look at what Blair did to him and Dejuan is 6-7! Onuaku (Syr) is the best post prospect IMO. I know it's been a while but Josh outplayed TH as well.

Griffin (the absolute best player in college), Aminu, and maybe Chism are ahead of Austin, but mostly IMO because they have the "power" in PF.

Micah and Steven sharing minutes, and the fact that SG includes Jodie Meeks, McClinton, and Wayne Ellington... tough to crack that group coming off the bench!

I would not trade any of our guys! I would be curious how good we would be with Blake Griffin at the 5, Josh at the 4, Jeremy at the 1, Austin at the 3, and Micah at the 2???? and a bench of Sacre, Goodson, Gray, Brown, Foster

6-10 (245), 6-11 (240), 6-10 (200), 6-2 (220), and 6-8 (190) somebody wake me up!!!

theirishzag03
02-17-2009, 06:35 PM

Well, I think the RELATED topic is EXPECTATIONS--- where they were (December) right after the Old Spice Classic title and where they have fallen to NOW:confused: :confused:

LongIslandZagFan
02-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Griffin and Josh down low... that would be a dream.

bigblahla
02-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Thank you I needed that.

I've come to realize that my expectations although well merited have been unrealistic for a number of reasons and watching coach speak and listening to what he had to say brought it all into perspective. I wish I had seen this interview long before this.

As I've stated on other threads I'm with the guys 100% and hold onto the hope that at the end of each game we are one point ahead and anything more is fantastic.

Go!! Zags!!!

Tmac5360
02-17-2009, 08:01 PM
The thing I love most about Few is his perspective. He understands that the kids need to enjoy all of the ride. Not just the tourney. He really gets it. Winning the conference is a big big deal!!!

isongd
02-17-2009, 09:05 PM
I would take Pargo over most, maybe not Lavance Fields or Johnny Flynn. But I have already seen him eat Lawson alive! Tyreke at the point is scary too!

Bouldin is listed as a Sm. Forward (#19)after the OSC, but being a tweener kind of hurts. If we were a 2 guard offense I think he would get more recognition as a very versatile 2.

Josh being grouped with prototype centers does not help a lot either, Thabeet is a good true post, but look at what Blair did to him and Dejuan is 6-7! Onuaku (Syr) is the best post prospect IMO. I know it's been a while but Josh outplayed TH as well.

Griffin (the absolute best player in college), Aminu, and maybe Chism are ahead of Austin, but mostly IMO because they have the "power" in PF.

Micah and Steven sharing minutes, and the fact that SG includes Jodie Meeks, McClinton, and Wayne Ellington... tough to crack that group coming off the bench!

I would not trade any of our guys! I would be curious how good we would be with Blake Griffin at the 5, Josh at the 4, Jeremy at the 1, Austin at the 3, and Micah at the 2???? and a bench of Sacre, Goodson, Gray, Brown, Foster

6-10 (245), 6-11 (240), 6-10 (200), 6-2 (220), and 6-8 (190) somebody wake me up!!!

As scary as that team is...you forgot Bouldin :eek:

MedZag
02-17-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm sorry, I just do not see this man at a big-time boosters-booty-kissing job like UofA or UofO.

theirishzag03
02-17-2009, 09:25 PM
As scary as that team is...you forgot Bouldin :eek:

Holy poop! Ooooops- even more scary!!! Oh wait, he was the "player to be named later":D

krozman
02-17-2009, 09:52 PM
If I were a 5 star recruit choosing between a BCS school and Gonzaga based solely from that interview, I wouldn't feel warm or fuzzy. that being said, I really appreciate that Mark Few goes out and speaks frankly and honestly, and puts things in perspective for the media, obviously focused on "OMG UNDEFEATED" rather than what is important this time in the season, like team chemistry and confidence.

FuManShoes
02-17-2009, 10:48 PM
If I were a 5 star recruit choosing between a BCS school and Gonzaga based solely from that interview, I wouldn't feel warm or fuzzy. that being said, I really appreciate that Mark Few goes out and speaks frankly and honestly, and puts things in perspective for the media, obviously focused on "OMG UNDEFEATED" rather than what is important this time in the season, like team chemistry and confidence.

Not sure I follow you, Kroz. If you're suggesting Few seems too caught up in the gaudy league record rather than worrying about tourney prep then I both do and don't agree. Of course you want to keep things loose and remind players to enjoy the ride, and while you're at it step back and soak in all you've accomplished as a program and a team. But it's a fine line between pride and contentment. The Zags have more talent up and down their lineup than what they've been displaying on the court night in and night out. They need to show up as a team and not a couple of hot hands, a few supporting members and a couple guys having off nights. The formula works in the WCC but not against the teams this club was recruited to play and beat. Few is too good a coach and these are to good of players to be making 16 silly turnovers and giving up 14 of 22 threes against opponents like these at this point on the season. Just saying, if you're gonna use the midmajor "slight" to inspire the troops and raise your profile, then you must also walk the walk of an elite program and not complain that expectations are unrealistic when they are much the reason you were able to lure the recruits, get the TV time and secure the facilities you did. Few's as good as they come and he may well be right -- maybe this isn't a team of destiny -- but I still don't like to hear him (more or less) say "We're not UNC or Duke, we're just little old Gunzawga taking the best shot the WCC can dish out." Come on, you think Calipari is down in Memphis chomping BBQ, gloating about winning 50+ straight in Conference USA? Bollocks!

cggonzaga
02-18-2009, 07:29 AM
Not sure I follow you, Kroz. If you're suggesting Few seems too caught up in the gaudy league record rather than worrying about tourney prep then I both do and don't agree. Of course you want to keep things loose and remind players to enjoy the ride, and while you're at it step back and soak in all you've accomplished as a program and a team. But it's a fine line between pride and contentment. The Zags have more talent up and down their lineup than what they've been displaying on the court night in and night out. They need to show up as a team and not a couple of hot hands, a few supporting members and a couple guys having off nights. The formula works in the WCC but not against the teams this club was recruited to play and beat. Few is too good a coach and these are to good of players to be making 16 silly turnovers and giving up 14 of 22 threes against opponents like these at this point on the season. Just saying, if you're gonna use the midmajor "slight" to inspire the troops and raise your profile, then you must also walk the walk of an elite program and not complain that expectations are unrealistic when they are much the reason you were able to lure the recruits, get the TV time and secure the facilities you did. Few's as good as they come and he may well be right -- maybe this isn't a team of destiny -- but I still don't like to hear him (more or less) say "We're not UNC or Duke, we're just little old Gunzawga taking the best shot the WCC can dish out." Come on, you think Calipari is down in Memphis chomping BBQ, gloating about winning 50+ straight in Conference USA? Bollocks!

Post of the year FuMan! I honestly felt sick to my stomach hearing this stuff come out of Few's mouth. To me it's a media spin to lower expectations when we falter in March yet again. The WCC crown is all fine and dandy but when are expectations going to be raised around here? Remember when Matty B and the fellas were talking about a undefeated season and NC aspirations? Where did that go fellas???? After 10 straight WCC crowns, WHO CARES?. Want more!!!!

gamagin
02-18-2009, 07:44 AM
Post of the year FuMan! I honestly felt sick to my stomach hearing this stuff come out of Few's mouth. To me it's a media spin to lower expectations when we falter in March yet again. The WCC crown is all fine and dandy but when are expectations going to be raised around here? Remember when Matty B and the fellas were talking about a undefeated season and NC aspirations? Where did that go fellas???? After 10 straight WCC crowns, WHO CARES?. Want more!!!!

I know it's difficult for the antsy children to want to arrive at the destination 2/3rds of the way through the trip, but the driver MUST and always WILL be forced to explain that there is still 1/3rd of the journey yet to be navigated. Stuff happens. They happen every week. Ask coach K.

THEREFORE, once again, children, it makes no sense, and is indeed, pure Bollocks, to keep jumping ahead when there is road to be covered. For without covering that road, there is no end. Nada. Zip.

The journey is the experience. And the experience is still underway.

No sane coach is going to start speculating that far ahead. It would be folly.

Why this doesn't occur to the nit and picking and coaching and punditry society waiting four stops ahead of the train is really bollocks.

And why an interview like this isn't just as clear is evidence of a classic symptom of tin ears moreso than what Few is saying, imo.

collegebasketballfan
02-18-2009, 07:50 AM
A basketball team usually takes on the style, and excitement of it's coach. Just like in the work place, a worker usually gets excited, and is more productive when there is a strong style of leadership.

This is not a knock on Mark Few, but just an honest interpretation of who he is. He is not a real rah,rah guy. His teams reflect that style. He does not seem comfortable in the media, or public speaking engagements. Yes, we occassionally will have certain players that will bring that, but it does not come from Mark Few.

I think if he is honest with himself, Gonzaga is the perfect fit for him. I would really question his being comfortable in a program like Arizona where the demand from the outside is great.

gamagin
02-18-2009, 08:04 AM
A basketball team usually takes on the style, and excitement of it's coach. Just like in the work place, a worker usually gets excited, and is more productive when there is a strong style of leadership.

This is not a knock on Mark Few, but just an honest interpretation of who he is. He is not a real rah,rah guy. His teams reflect that style. He does not seem comfortable in the media, or public speaking engagements. Yes, we occassionally will have certain players that will bring that, but it does not come from Mark Few.

I think if he is honest with himself, Gonzaga is the perfect fit for him. I would really question his being comfortable in a program like Arizona where the demand from the outside is great.

John Wooden.

Imo, Few patterns his public personae after Wooden. As for fit, the only real, secure, comfortable way to fit in is winning. Wherever you are. Year after year. Year in and year out.

But even with all that, as you can read right here on the GUB, there are folks who know better how a winner could improve. I am one of them at times, too.

theirishzag03
02-18-2009, 08:26 AM
Who is this Mr. Wooten you speak of?

I figured you meant John WooDen (UCLA), but after the 2nd time you mentioned Wooten and say that Few models him it does make a little more sense. I mean Few is a good coach who does not like attention. This Wooten fellow must have stayed out of the public's eye as well.:D

DADoZAG
02-18-2009, 08:28 AM
Well, I'm not sure who John "Wooten" is, but as most of us know, Mark Few is class.

One other little point, and I know he was only tossing in shots, but AD had no brace on. Loosing that mill stone will make a huge difference. Let's hope...

bballbeachbum
02-18-2009, 08:32 AM
John Wooten.

Imo, Few patterns his public personae after Wooten. As for fit, the only real, secure, comfortable way to fit in is winning. Wherever you are. Year after year. Year in and year out.

But even with all that, as you can read right here on the GUB, there are folks who know better how a winner could improve. I am one of them at times, too.

Me too. Kind of makes me feel silly when you put it that way.

I LOVE our coach. I'd go to the mat for him, for what he's accomplished on our behalf.

You find some cool links to share, gamagin. Thanks.

theirishzag03
02-18-2009, 08:42 AM

This was the basis for my thread about wanting Few to get a "T"

Love your post FuMan about "Mid-Major Slight"

I have felt that the MAC is not "mid-major", but Elite, our talent is far from "mid-major", and the coach has a salary that is 3-4 times "mid-major" , so WHY do we have to be harnessed if our expectations are greater than "MID-MAJOR"

10 straight NCAA appearances-a winning record vs. the untouchable talent bed ACC, early season tournament titles, BRAND this program as ELITE- It may be tough to live up to expectations, but they are a fact of life. I guess the sad part is that we as fans have higher ones than the coach. The kids we are recruiting didn't come here to ride the little train that "might", they came because Gonzaga has big TV contracts, plays on the National Stage, gets to travel all over the country in a private jet, and because they want to be a part of something special. Most of them want to be the engineer of the little train that DID!

gamagin
02-18-2009, 08:44 AM
apologies for misspelling Wooden. here is one of his many bios. he is also the man for whom the annual Wooden award is named.

http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/woo0bio-1

gamagin
02-18-2009, 08:59 AM
This was the basis for my thread about wanting Few to get a "T"

Love your post FuMan about "Mid-Major Slight"

I have felt that the MAC is not "mid-major", but Elite, our talent is far from "mid-major", and the coach has a salary that is 3-4 times "mid-major" , so WHY do we have to be harnessed if our expectations are greater than "MID-MAJOR"

10 straight NCAA appearances-a winning record vs. the untouchable talent bed ACC, early season tournament titles, BRAND this program as ELITE- It may be tough to live up to expectations, but they are a fact of life. I guess the sad part is that we as fans have higher ones than the coach. The kids we are recruiting didn't come here to ride the little train that "might", they came because Gonzaga has big TV contracts, plays on the National Stage, gets to travel all over the country in a private jet, and because they want to be a part of something special. Most of them want to be the engineer of the little train that DID!

this could be the third or fourth thread you have attempted to hijack. Are you prrhaps the troll who has been booted off 2-3 times, or are you just a flea on the elephant's ass that can get enough of the stink ? ?

you turned a silly premise into a 5-6 day diatribe about Few getting/needing a T. As if only you could understand what you mean, instead of me reading it and considering it a minor, albeit legit, opinion.

Then you move over to other, unrelated, threads and start over with essentially the same, minor point(s).

Please don't tell me what it is you are actually trying to say. You said it about a week ago and it was boring then.

I got your point 2-3 threads ago. You want validation. You think you are onto something.

Fine. Make your point. start (yet another) thread about how a small school needs to be, is or should be a big school and see how far it goes.

Or better yet, just post the url on the Few T thread on all the other threads each day and save yourself some time and all the redundancy.

But in the meantime, I'm curious. What were the other 2-3 names you went by on the GUB that got you thrown off and perhaps, finally, why haven't you learned a damned thing ?

theirishzag03
02-18-2009, 09:16 AM
this could be the third or fourth thread you have attempted to hijack. Are you prrhaps the troll who has been booted off 2-3 times, or are you just a flea on the elephant's ass that can get enough of the stink ? ?

you turned a silly premise into a 5-6 day diatribe about Few getting/needing a T. As if only you could understand what you mean, instead of me reading it and considering it a minor, albeit legit, opinion.

Or better yet, just post the url on the Few T thread on all the other threads each day and save yourself some time and all the redundancy.

But in the meantime, I'm curious. What were the other 2-3 names you went by on the GUB that got you thrown off and perhaps, finally, why haven't you learned a damned thing ?

OK- Gamagin, just for you- twonohitters, BobZagsbrother, and cindereffinella?--- Those were the names that got me banned. Which in turn lead me to go directly to the Spokesman Review to have them review my posts to see if I had violated any policies or rules. Guess what, nope...nadda. It was another poster, who , kind of like yourself was doing some name calling (flea on the ass comments) just because I have opinions.

I find it amusing that I commented on other poster comments, YET you single me out??? Why not FuMan? PLEASE show me where I have tried to HIJACK a thread. Just because I may not agree with a topic, does not mean I cannot have my view on it. WHERE does it say...."you must agree with this poster's opinion to comment on this thread?" I have GREEN rep and have been mostly positive except when it is warranted. Funny how one GUB member says "spot on" could not agree more, yet others cry and whaaa...ewww controversy, debate, difference of opinions (Wow sounds like the stuff great boards are made of)

bballbeachbum
02-18-2009, 09:18 AM
I want to go to the Final Four too!!! Who doesn't?

But no coach is telling their team right now to aim for the Final Four!!! Which coach/staff can get their players best to focus on the moment at hand, to address exactly what is in front of them at that moment and kick that moment's butt, they have the best chances of succeeding. This is standard info here, not my own postulations.

expectations, schmecpectations

And no coach in America is pushing expectations at this time of the year...period. Looking for guidance and passing judgments on expectations from an interview at this time of year...you're always going to be disappointed, imo, because that's simply not what is going on.

It's all about being able to deliver in the moment when required, developing and optimizing that ability and peaking, so discussions on things weeks and weeks down the road are just...not going to happen from the coach.

here's a link from Andy Katz, "Uncertainty reigns in college basketball" and a couple of quotes from it from Coach K. The link is not totally on topic, so if you read it, don't rip me for that please. But the quotes are. He's keeping it real while still giving them something to aim for that has nothing to do with some tangible expectation: get their edge back. He is great, like him or not.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3911081&name=katz_andy

Duke has lost its edge, according to Krzyzewski. Save an overtime comeback against Miami, the Blue Devils could be reeling. The same team that made Xavier and Maryland look like JV squads this season (55-24 halftime lead on the Musketeers and a 41-point victory over the Terps) is wobbling at the wrong point of the season.

"We're a very good basketball team, not a great basketball team, we've never been that. We have to remember what makes us good and what makes us good we forgot.''

"Our team has lost its edge a bit,'' Krzyzewski said. "It happens in sports.''

He said this stuff about his team this week.

GO ZAGS!!!

MDABE80
02-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Irish.....<sigh>....maybe you should forget the "Few getting the T" thread forever. Some topics are very interesting to the person who posts but fall flat when exposed.

Focusing on things and ideas to be said might help. Some posters have this circuitous method of approaching a topic and then get sidetracked by others who derail the incompleted thought...........and the thread just drifts. Somedays I think it's me and other days I read and reread only to know there was no point to a thread at all. Most of us read once....there's little time to make sense of things. Time is short.

Some try to reweave a thought that's "fallen flat" into something later. Doesn't work and becomes a bit tedious for others. As BZ used to say in the old days....."think before you post". <-giving credit to our fearless leader.

LongIslandZagFan
02-18-2009, 09:28 AM
I have GREEN rep and have been mostly positive except when it is warranted.

Don't take the green for granted... there are some on here that can make you red in heartbeat.

Oh, and by the way, SR only hosts the message boards. There are guidelines and it is to the discretion of the board admins as to who gets banned and not SR. That being said, it takes quite a bit to get banned... heck jazz has been the bastion of negtivity but he did it in such a way that he never got banned. Maybe you should learn from your mistakes after, what is it, 3 times?

theirishzag03
02-18-2009, 09:29 AM
I don't think as a player you should be focused on expectations, rather goals. But even when the Florida players came back to repeat as national champs, the openly said they were trying to repeat. That was their goal and along with that came expectations.

I think we are confusing what is best for the team and players, with what is a natural thing for fans. Expectations are for fans- that is why they have preseason polls, preseason predictions and magazine articles. The media sets us up to have them. It is the only reason we even know who JOE LUNARDI even is. The "bracketology" thread is based on EXPECTATIONS! Yet it gets lots of views. Look how mad fans get if he puts us as a 7-8-9 seed. Are we jumping quickly to the defense of our team or our expectations.

Reborn
02-18-2009, 09:29 AM
I don't believe that Coach Few is minimizing the importance of the NCAA tournament to his team. Nor do I feel he is signaling a notice that his team will not do well in the tournament. I do believe he is stating how important winning the conference is, and more important how great it would be for his team to go undefeated in conference. I think what he might also, and quite wisely, be saying is "let's take it a step at a time."

I think he clearly believes that this is a very good team and a great group of guys. Any I also believe that that IS important. And clearly he believes in having fun and so do I.

I think that it is a goal of this team to be the greatest Zag team so far. And if not the greatest at least right up there with the others. I think one of the characteristics of those Zag teams, accept for '99, was that they went undefeated in conference. To do this is extremely difficult as we saw last weekend. We only have one more road trip but it will not be easy to come away with two victories, one more time, in California. I believe that it was more important to Few, and the guys, to beat U of Portland than it was to beat Memphis. I think he spent way more time preparing for Portland than he did for Memphis. I have taped both games and the Zags played so great against Portland and were really flat against Memphis. Yes.....part of it maybe because Memphis is bigger and stronger and more athletic, but honestly, the Zags were missing many easy shots against Memphis. And look how great we played at the end of the game when our bench was in and we were pressing and playing our usual tight man to man defense.

We had a first half against St. Mary's that was exactly like the first half of Memphis, up until about 5 min left in the half. We were stinking up the gym. And then it changed. Something clicked. And the old fighting spirt returned and we pulled that very tough game out. The St. Mary's game reminded me of the Tennessee game. Yet, very little credit has been given to the Zags here on the board for that victory.

Let's enjoy the ride and have fun.

LongIslandZagFan
02-18-2009, 09:35 AM
I don't think as a player you should be focused on expectations, rather goals. But even when the Florida players came back to repeat as national champs, the openly said they were trying to repeat. That was their goal and along with that came expectations.

I think we are confusing what is best for the team and players, with what is a natural thing for fans. Expectations are for fans- that is why they have preseason polls, preseason predictions and magazine articles. The media sets us up to have them. It is the only reason we even know who JOE LUNARDI even is. The "bracketology" thread is based on EXPECTATIONS! Yet it gets lots of views. Look how mad fans get if he puts us as a 7-8-9 seed. Are we jumping quickly to the defense of our team or our expectations.

5 Losses and an undefeated conference record would not get a 7-9 seed. But I wouldn't say that a 6 or 5 seed is out of the realm of possibility and I don't think too many would argue with that.

theirishzag03
02-18-2009, 09:48 AM
5 Losses and an undefeated conference record would not get a 7-9 seed. But I wouldn't say that a 6 or 5 seed is out of the realm of possibility and I don't think too many would argue with that.

5 losses and an undefeated WCC??? Are these YOUR expectations???:D careful!

I mean we still have 4 conference games left. Do you EXPECT to win the 2 this week? And the 2 next week on the road?

We were as low as a #7 recently. I still think a #4 is not out of the question, but we would have to win out and that would be having expectations and that is NOT allowed!

bballbeachbum
02-18-2009, 10:01 AM
that would be having expectations and that is NOT allowed!

come on man, are you seriously not getting this?

Peace Irish

MDABE80
02-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Those are my expectations.....WCC champs AND undefeated. 6 seed is the number after being humiliated by Memphis at home. Maybe a 5 if some of the other teams at our level get beat. Press feels no confidence in GU right now though. We let them down again.......just when they were told/thought.....well anyway...

Meanwhile.....back to the thread......Few is right where he should be in this brief interview. GU's come a long way but a title contender most years we're not. We're very good/excellent is many years and just very good in others.
What it would take for GU to become a Duke or UNC.or a school at that level would take many things.......one would be to get tougher league work. This would mean leaving the WCC for one thing. Sure GU will nail down the swt 16 (every 5 yrs or so) again and the periodic E8 (every 10 yrs or so) but to be a title contender (say every 3 yrs or so) isn't likely. This began as one of those rare years where we might have contended.....wheels came off that one in December.

Mark Few knows that . Let's be grateful for how far we've come.

BobZag
02-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Few is taking one game at a time. Right now, it's LMU. At 8:00pm tomorrow it'll be Pepperdine. A lesson was learned vs PSU. But this is how Few works. Focus on one game at a time, try to improve and don't get caught looking ahead. 1, the conference championship, 2, the conference tournament and, 3, the NCAA tournament. I'll guarantee he isn't thinking about 2 and 3 right now. Only LMU and getting better.

Nobody on the team has lowered their expectations. Fans, perhaps, yes, and some not, but not any of the players. When Few says Gonzaga is not Duke or North Carolina, he means GU is not a hoops factory, hoops is not a cultish religion here (see SEC football), and even though North Carolina State and Wake Forest are within a few miles of Chapel Hill and Durham, they are not UNC or Duke, either. Nobody is. Those two schools are extreme.

Trending upwards for March. Beat LMU and get better doing it.

LongIslandZagFan
02-18-2009, 10:25 AM
5 losses and an undefeated WCC??? Are these YOUR expectations???:D careful!

I mean we still have 4 conference games left. Do you EXPECT to win the 2 this week? And the 2 next week on the road?

We were as low as a #7 recently. I still think a #4 is not out of the question, but we would have to win out and that would be having expectations and that is NOT allowed!

Wouldn't call them expectations, but rather a high probability. There is always the X factor of the other team being outrageously inspired like USF was last weekend with the suspensions and everything else.

cggonzaga
02-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Mark Few knows that . Let's be grateful for how far we've come.

I wonder if that's what Duke was saying 20 years ago or any program that has become the best over the years?

Irish, you need to realize that some of the "older Zags" are very content and happy with how far the program has come. I also find that the newer generation Zags are not content and want more, myself being one. Facilities, talent and coaching are all good enough to contend for final fours on a yearly basis even though some like to play down the expectations.

GoZags
02-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Remember when Matty B and the fellas were talking about a undefeated season and NC aspirations? Where did that go fellas???? After 10 straight WCC crowns, WHO CARES?. Want more!!!!

Sure, I remember Matt Bouldin's quote about an undefeated season (don't remember any of the other guys -- but I remember Matt's). Where did that go???? Arizona (L); UConn (L), Portland State (L), Utah (L), Memphis (XL). That's where the undefeated season went.

I'm more of the mantra "Walk softly and carry a big stick". I'm not in favor of popping off about going undefeated 7 games into a season.

You're not alone in wanting more. I can think of 13 guys and a coaching staff who are working their rear ends off, trying to do "more".

cggonzaga
02-18-2009, 10:38 AM
You're not alone in wanting more. I can think of 13 guys and a coaching staff who are working their rear ends off, trying to do "more".

I agree with that 100%. Part of that imo though is having the high expectations and goals and attitude to go along with that. I just hate the "we're not so and so" comments. If we really believe that than no we'll never get there. I would just personally love to see more of an attitude that says we are GU instead of we're not somebody else!

theirishzag03
02-18-2009, 10:47 AM
I agree with that 100&#37;. Part of that imo though is having the high expectations and goals and attitude to go along with that. I just hate the "we're not so and so" comments. If we really believe that than no we'll never get there. I would just personally love to see more of an attitude that says we are GU instead of we're not somebody else!

Ditto!

If you believe it , you can achieve it!

All of those diet or exercise infomercials wouldn't sell a damn thing if they were based on "we're not so and so" instead they sell based on BELIEVING you can become or achieve.

Zagsker
02-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Irish, you need to realize that some of the "older Zags" are very content and happy with how far the program has come. I also find that the newer generation Zags are not content and want more, myself being one. Facilities, talent and coaching are all good enough to contend for final fours on a yearly basis even though some like to play down the expectations.

I am a newer generation fan and frankly I don't view my expectations as to much for the Zags...atleast in respect to the natural progression of a program......we have gone 10+ years now of 20 win seasons, tourney bids and National recognition.......the next step is to start making consistant Sweet 16's..with some Elite Eights and god willing a Final Four visit mixed somewhere in there.

I am in no way trying to minimize past accomplishments.......just saying at some point, if we truly want to be an elite program...we need to get past WCC championships as being a "Great accomplishment" and instead make it a part of the process to an even greater accomplishment....that is what your Dukes, UNC, UCONN do....they EXPECT to make noise in the tourney....whereas right now we expect to make the tourney

LongIslandZagFan
02-18-2009, 12:23 PM
.the next step is to start making consistant Sweet 16's..with some Elite Eights and god willing a Final Four visit mixed somewhere in there.

OK, lets come back to reality now... NO TEAM DOES THAT! Not even Duke. This is exactly where the expectations get out of hand.

Duke... out early last year and the year before (although they come close to your standard). UNC missed the tourney twice in the last 10 years.

Florida won back to back NC... not even in the tourney last year.

Syracuse has been looking in from the outside the last 2 years after winning a NC with Mello in 2003.

Arizona has been to the dance for about 23 straight years... the last 10 years... 1 NC game (lost), 2 elite 8s, 1 Sweet 16, 3 first round exits and 2 second round exits. Record for the last 10 years (14-10). Zags in same time frame 12-10.

Not saying we are these programs, but all would be considered elite programs and NONE are consistently hitting the S16 and dabbling in FF and E8s. Can you at least start to understand how unrealistic the expectations have gotten?

McZag
02-18-2009, 12:29 PM
I'm sorry, I just do not see this man at a big-time boosters-booty-kissing job like UofA or UofO.

So true. This guy is King of own little world here. He is telling his critics to stick it and will get away with it. Paraphrase "We should just be happy we are competing for a league title in a crummy little conference." Maybe we should be happy with that.

I just thought we believed in ourselves a bit more than that. I thought we were the guys that didn't listen to those who say we can't. I thought we were every small schools hope to prove that a wee program like GU could play and win against the big bad old guard of college hoops. Guess I should just shut my mouth and be happy we can beat LMU.....opps I mean I hope we bring our "A" game and keep it close.

DADoZAG
02-18-2009, 12:44 PM
I thought we were the guys that didn't listen to those who say we can't. I thought we were every small schools hope to prove that a wee program like GU could play and win against the big bad old guard of college hoops.

Hey McZag, that would be a great locker room speech.

Was Few talking to the players, or the media/fans?

a13coach
02-18-2009, 12:45 PM
OK, lets come back to reality now... NO TEAM DOES THAT! Not even Duke. This is exactly where the expectations get out of hand.

Duke... out early last year and the year before (although they come close to your standard). UNC missed the tourney twice in the last 10 years.

Florida won back to back NC... not even in the tourney last year.

Syracuse has been looking in from the outside the last 2 years after winning a NC with Mello in 2003.

Arizona has been to the dance for about 23 straight years... the last 10 years... 1 NC game (lost), 2 elite 8s, 1 Sweet 16, 3 first round exits and 2 second round exits. Record for the last 10 years (14-10). Zags in same time frame 12-10.

Not saying we are these programs, but all would be considered elite programs and NONE are consistently hitting the S16 and dabbling in FF and E8s. Can you at least start to understand how unrealistic the expectations have gotten?

Amen. Good post LIZF. Also I would like to add that Few saying we are not Duke or NC also means in terms of $$$$ and other resources. There is more than on facet to Few's comments.

Zagsker
02-18-2009, 12:53 PM

Your missing the point.........For all of our great play over the past 10+ years, I still feel that Gonzaga is still just satisfied in just making the tourney......and we point to the WCC championship as proof of a great seasom. IMO, I think we need to take that next step, I admit my "examples" were a bit exaggerated in the frequency of it happening...but their fan base HAS those exaggrated expectations....you think Duke, UNC fans are happy with just making the tourney and if they lose in the first/second round they sit back and go..."well we won the ACC, so it was a pretty good year, we will get em next year".

If we truly want to be elite...we need to stop being satisfied just making the tourney...players and coaches need to stop being satisfied just making the tourney...ELITE programs make noise in the tourney.....Now Duke and UNC can have that luxury of having some off years (years in which they don't make it out of the first weekend) because they have earned that right (actually played in Final Fours)....Gonzaga has not earned that (yet)......if we continue with our current trend of One weekend performances within the tourney...we are not going to be that Gonzaga team that will get an automatic bid regardless if they win the WCC tourney.....we are going to be looked at closer and closer by the committee because they will ask themselves "do we really want to put a 20-9 (just picking a record) at-large Gonzaga team in, when they have shown a pattern of being outted the first weekend?"

gamagin
02-18-2009, 12:54 PM
You guys remind me of my youngest son when he was about 12.

He had been moping and worrying and fussing with what he considered to be his pressing, single-minded, all important decision: whether to play professional football or professional baseball.

No matter how many times I attempted to tell him i supported him all the way, BUT that he first might want to make the team he was on, continue to work on his game and basically, spend the non-glamorous part of his planning to achieve that end with long hours, hard work etc etc., plus be lucky, if he was really serious about a pro career.

He, like you, just blew me off. He wasn't ready to be an adult. He wanted to dream and by Golly, he did. Nothing wrong with that, btw. Just fantsizing when he also should have at least dosed the dream with a few bits of reality along with a little heavier lifting and thinking, imo. Like you.

Reading your posts makes me want to say, for the umpteenth time, I get what you are saying. It is rather basic. Simple and simplistic, even. Easy if you disregard the rest of the picture.

It ignores the reality and focuses on the high road. All you need is some spark, and suggests somehow with a proper huddle & cheer, it will all come true. a spoonful of sugar really does help the medicine go down . . .

Even though it never has come true. Don't bore me with reality, you say, and the rest of you brave, naive, soldiers (every wonder why soldiers are so young?) of high spirit join in as if THAT is the holy grail. More animation.

Further, you say to each other at every opportunity, it's all about an attitude I and, I guess, the coach and others (ie non believers), just don't seem to understand, much less practice, or else this espirit de corps would be more widespread on the GUB. So you say.

I would counter that you are not going to get the coach to wear his cap sideways, slip on a pair of baggy pants & laceless shoes and act like the coque of the walk because that's not what's needed (metaphorically speaking). Substance trumps image. Always has.

But if you think he doesn't grasp the nuances of the game (the one you envision and I don't "get") and what it takes to set the table for this team, all the teams he has coached, and this school and us fans, year after year, no amount of bandwitdth exists to convince you otherwise.

It is you. It is your youth and inexperience that is hobbling you, no matter what chronological age you are. And whether you like it, or don't like to hear it, or not, GU is not Duke. Do the comparables. Read a little.

That doesn't mean we can't beat Duke. Over and over, in theory. It means we are not Duke. Big difference. Unacceptable attitude, you say.

So cleave to your notion that only you have any idea what the coach and team should do to fulfill all of our fantasies and theirs. Juggle the lineup. Add Sacre to the rotation and assign him super, All America qualities while you're at it, before he even faces one foe with a tender foot.

But don't be surprised if your dog won't hunt.

Age has nothing to do with it, unless you consider low age in which a sense of history, common sense and a slight, extremely wafer-thin effort at clarity is passed off as insight. Certainly from your alleged sources. Nor even Few's many detractors, either, I don't believe.

For what the coach says to the TV news and what he says in practice and in one on one's with the players, and what the team knows about what the coach is and has been emphasizing year over year, have only the slightest correlation.

Efforts to parse such an interview into wild and crazy notions of attitudes, weaknesses or even strengths, is folly. Turning an ember into a forest fire, while easy in the movies and the forests during the fire season, is not so easy with this program.

So if you really think you have a handle on it, ask any player who has ever played for Few what it's like to play for him. I have talked to many. I have also talked to former coaches, parents of players, some of his closest confidants, plus listened to Few and talked with him a couple of times (very few, he doesn't talk much to anyone except a very, very few of his most trusted friends). I have talked to several of them.

I don't claim any greater knowledge, but I do claim some knowledge. First hand. Not from a news clip.

Suffice it to say, he was not nor never has been, lacking in clarity, counsel, animation, anger, humor, facial ticks, motivation, blah blah blah . . . nor has he been unable to communicate exactly what was right or wrong and exactly what he expected to see improved, what this player or that needs to work on, what to do and when to do it, to advance the Zags and continue to win etc etc etc.

So please get over yourselves. Fall out of love with your voices and consider that sometimes they are just there to make noise and rev you up. That is not insight.

Your opinions & energy and fanaticism, I truly enjoy.

Your coque sure assumptions and alleged abilities to read the tea leaves and draw conclusions from news clips and sort through the snapshots to divine what is going on at GU, otoh, leaves something else to be desired. imo.

Separate the two and I believe 99% of the challenges and arguments would disappear. Here's hoping for some better reading.

Go Zags !

LongIslandZagFan
02-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Your missing the point.........For all of our great play over the past 10+ years, I still feel that Gonzaga is still just satisfied in just making the tourney......and we point to the WCC championship as proof of a great seasom. IMO, I think we need to take that next step, I admit my "examples" were a bit exaggerated in the frequency of it happening...but their fan base HAS those exaggrated expectations....you think Duke, UNC fans are happy with just making the tourney and if they lose in the first/second round they sit back and go..."well we won the ACC, so it was a pretty good year, we will get em next year".

If we truly want to be elite...we need to stop being satisfied just making the tourney...players and coaches need to stop being satisfied just making the tourney...ELITE programs make noise in the tourney.....Now Duke and UNC can have that luxury of having some off years (years in which they don't make it out of the first weekend) because they have earned that right (actually played in Final Fours)....Gonzaga has not earned that (yet)......if we continue with our current trend of One weekend performances within the tourney...we are not going to be that Gonzaga team that will get an automatic bid regardless if they win the WCC tourney.....we are going to be looked at closer and closer by the committee because they will ask themselves "do we really want to put a 20-9 (just picking a record) at-large Gonzaga team in, when they have shown a pattern of being outted the first weekend?"

BTW we haven't missed tourneys when other "elite" teams have. Just keep that in mind. Oh and right now our record in the tourney the last two years is NOT much different than Duke's... with Duke coming in with much better seeds.

cggonzaga
02-18-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm sorry Gam but could you speak a little more simple? I couldn't understand what you were trying to say being that I'm a child. Not to mention I don't have the patience to read that long of a post because I caught my GI Joe out the corner of my eye. Thank you for clarifying my stupidity. I completely get it now though and am 100% on your side from here on out.

Zagsker
02-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Further, you say to each other at every opportunity, it's all about an attitude I and, I guess, the coach and others (ie non believers), just don't seem to understand, much less practice, or else this espirit de corps would be more widespread on the GUB. So you say.

I would counter that you are not going to get the coach to wear his cap sideways, slip on a pair of baggy pants & laceless shoes and act like the coque of the walk because that's not what's needed (metaphorically speaking). Substance trumps image. Always has.

But if you think he doesn't grasp the nuances of the game (the one you envision and I don't "get") and what it takes to set the table for this team, all the teams he has coached, and this school and us fans, year after year, no amount of bandwitdth exists to convince you otherwise.

It is you. It is your youth and inexperience that is hobbling you, no matter what chronological age you are. And whether you like it, or don't like to hear it, or not, GU is not Duke. Do the comparables. Read a little.

That doesn't mean we can't beat Duke. Over and over, in theory. It means we are not Duke. Big difference. Unacceptable attitude, you say.

Good grief man.........My opinion on the Zags has nothing to do with "rah rah rah, they need to play like this and do this like that because if I was a coach that is what I would do".....my opinions are for the growth of the program in my eyes...............You act as if those of us who question the current state of the Zags are doing it out of some sort of spite for what they have accomplished.....when in reality, these opinions are voiced because we want to see Gonzaga grow into that next level.

Can we make it there?? maybe not, becasue as you said we are not Duke (we are a mid-major),

But than again maybe we can, because out of any of the mid-major schools we are set up to test those waters, consistant success and top notch facitilites..........but until we expect a little more out of the Zags, the program will not feel that push by the fan base to achieve more than what has been standard for Gonzaga.

Now, lets be clear...if we continue with the same path we have been going, I for one will not be dissappointed, because IMO just being able to watch the Zags in the tourney is fun enough....I just want to see if we can do some more.

Zagsker
02-18-2009, 01:23 PM
BTW we haven't missed tourneys when other "elite" teams have. Just keep that in mind. Oh and right now our record in the tourney the last two years is NOT much different than Duke's... with Duke coming in with much better seeds.

You are continuing to miss the point.....although now it appears to be a purposeful thing for ya;)

We are not in the (Duke, Arizona, UNC, UCONN) Elite because we have not really won anything within the tourney............yes we make it to the tourney and that is a great accomplishment............but if we continue to just make the tourney and lose in the 1st or 2nd round on a consistant basis, Gonzaga is not going to get the name recognition it is used to getting...whereas your Dukes of the world will always get that name recognition because they HAVE won something in the tourney (multiple Eilte Eights, FInal Fours, Championships)

kitzbuel
02-18-2009, 01:39 PM
I wonder if that's what Duke was saying 20 years ago or any program that has become the best over the years?

I for one am very happy with how far the program has come. It really is astonishing to see that it has got to where it is and is still advancing. Despite many prognostications that GU's run is over, we are now a regular on the top 25, we are on the verge of being positioned to make a run at the tournament and routinely expect recruiting classes to improve, even if gradually. Those are all elements of a program positioning itself to have the best chance possible in the tournament.

I also know how very hard GU worked how effin lucky GU was to get to where it is now. We are playing with house money right now. We have made a lot off of it, but it really has been a unique combination of circumstance, right people in the right place and flat out luck.

Zagsker
02-18-2009, 01:44 PM
I for one am very happy with how far the program has come..

We ALL are

LongIslandZagFan
02-18-2009, 02:30 PM
You are continuing to miss the point.....although now it appears to be a purposeful thing for ya;)

We are not in the (Duke, Arizona, UNC, UCONN) Elite because we have not really won anything within the tourney............yes we make it to the tourney and that is a great accomplishment............but if we continue to just make the tourney and lose in the 1st or 2nd round on a consistant basis, Gonzaga is not going to get the name recognition it is used to getting...whereas your Dukes of the world will always get that name recognition because they HAVE won something in the tourney (multiple Eilte Eights, FInal Fours, Championships)

You missed the point that our record in the tourney is almost the same as Zona in the last 10 years... without the benefit of a NC game. Hardly underachieving in my book. You missed the point that several elite teams like Syracuse, Florida, and UNC have MISSED the tourney multiple times in the last 10 years. What you want is almost unattainable outside of being Duke. Whom for the record only has 1 more win in the NCAA tourney than us the last 2 years.

FuManShoes
02-18-2009, 03:56 PM
We are playing with house money right now.

Actually, we're playing with our own money. I know I've spent a pittance on Zags hoops and memorabilia compared to many on this board, but I still fork over my not so hard-earned bucks expecting a good show -- an elite show. Usually I get it. And I don't mind if the Zags lose -- well, I do, just not as much as if they under-perform, under-achieve, or under-aspire. The only "under" this team should be happy with is underdog when it gets to the Final Four and shocks the world by toppling Pitt.

theirishzag03
02-18-2009, 04:34 PM
I love the Zags, and part of my love is being a small school with big hopes! What separates George Mason and Davidson from Gonzaga??? Do they have a larger budget? A higher paid coach? 5-star recruits? A brand new arena? A nicer jet, all home games?

No, No, No, No, NO, NO!

Those schools reached the Final Four and Elite 8 with FAR LESS. They did it by BELIEVING THEY belonged, believing THEY had the talent, KNOWING that even if they played a team with better athletes they would out hustle and out work them.

Do I think we are Kentucky, Duke, UNC, or UCLA, heck no!

But how many people would have been offended if Few had said........

"We aren't George Mason or Davidson??? So, please be happy we have a chance to win the WCC every year!"

Keeping this short, because I really don't post just to "hear myself"

lothar98zag
02-18-2009, 04:39 PM
don't feel like starting another thread, so I'll dump this bit of random info here:

STREAK ALIVE
Longest active streaks of winning conference seasons:

21 - Murray State (Ohio Valley)
19 - Kansas (Big 12/Big 8)
19 - Kentucky (SEC)
17 - Penn (Ivy)
15 - Stanford (Pac-10) probably win end this year
13 - Gonzaga (WCC)
12 - Creighton (MVC)
10 - Texas (Big 12)
10 - Kent State (MAC)
10 - Winthrop (Big South)
10 - Southern Illinois (MVC)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/17/SP3J15VCKI.DTL

Zag79
02-18-2009, 04:58 PM
i muts be the most childish, as i am trying to figure out why some idiot would neg rep me for saying we should all enjoy the season game by game, minute by minute like i said at the beginning of the year. and at least leave your name when you neg rep sissy bi***es! i leave my name for every rep i give, but i dont grow nuts behind my computer either.

Zagsker
02-18-2009, 05:07 PM
You missed the point that our record in the tourney is almost the same as Zona in the last 10 years... without the benefit of a NC game.

Nope, I got that

You missed the point that several elite teams like Syracuse, Florida, and UNC have MISSED the tourney multiple times in the last 10 years.

Nope, I got that

What you want is almost unattainable outside of being Duke.

Having a stronger showing in the NCAA tourney is unattainable for Gonzaga in your book?

IMO....Gonzaga cannot afford to keep having opening weekend losses....that is all I am saying...Schools (like the ones you mentioned above) can afford to have lapses in the tourney and still keep their "name"recognition because those schools have reached Final Fours and Championships....at some point (sooner rather than later) Gonzaga is going to have to make a deep run in the NCAA tourney or our "name" recogntion is going to be tarnished a little bit...we will lose some of our luster...we are going to be that mid-major who always makes the Tourney and then folds in the 1st or 2nd round.

Again...what Gonzaga has accomplished deserves alot of praise and respect...but at some point...we need to take a step forward in the grand scheme of things

And it's not like if Gonzaga stays the course,I am going to get pissed and take my ball and go home:D.........like I said earlier, just them making the tourney is fun enough...however it would be nice to add an extra layer of frosting on my cake

HillBillyZag
02-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Listen to yourselves. I have to stand with gamagin, kitz and L.I. Zag, simply because I support not only Gonzaga University hoops, but their whole athletic program and the school itself I attend baseball & soccer games.I am just as pleased to read about "Big Eds" progress in comedy and entertainment, how Pendo is getting along, what Fr. Spitzer has to say lately, and I read and post on the Crosby Center, foo, and other parts of this forum. Its your right to think what you may about hoops or any other issue concerning GU, but to get into a cat fight about somehing we all love just blows my mind. For Petes sake, y'all "lighten up!"

theirishzag03
02-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Listen to yourselves. I have to stand with gamagin, kitz and L.I. Zag, simply because I support not only Gonzaga University hoops, but their whole athletic program and the school itself I attend baseball & soccer games.I am just as pleased to read about "Big Eds" progress in comedy and entertainment, how Pendo is getting along, what Fr. Spitzer has to say lately, and I read and post on the Crosby Center, foo, and other parts of this forum. Its your right to think what you may about hoops or any other issue concerning GU, but to get into a cat fight about somehing we all love just blows my mind. For Petes sake, y'all "lighten up!"

Hey I hear ya!....But that nice new baseball field wasn't built with all the money the hardball team brings in. Well, my son does the basketball and baseball camps and they are kind of spendy ($200 plus) X 100 kids=20 grand...Nope that wouldn't pay for the bleachers;)

Zagsker
02-18-2009, 07:01 PM

Who's getting into a "catfight"?

This is just a discussion on the potential that Gonzaga basketball can reach.

I happen to think that they are capable of much more and we should expect it...others think that they are fine where they are at and we should be happy with what we got. Thats it

We are ALL happy with where we are at...some just expect a little more, nothing wrong with that, that is how programs grow...with support and expectations

bigblahla
02-18-2009, 07:04 PM
At this point I'm puzzled as we are all Zag fans.

My lowering of expectations has come from watching our team struggle with the team concept. This isn't about talent it's about team play and what I got from coach's comments is it's harder than appears to do what we've done. I saw the individual talent at the beginning of the year and like the rest of us was salivating like Pavlov's dog.

Why have we struggled? Well there are groups of young men representing other schools who at times play better than we do as a team. Who are more athletic than we are.

What I'm hoping for other than ending each game at least one point ahead of our opponent is that we take each of the next 10 to hopefully 12 games and play them one at a time as a cohesive unit.

There isn't a fan here that doesn't want more of anything and everything it's human nature but truth be told just like the guys we are all human and subject to brain farts the difference between us and them is when we experience ours unless someone gets their finger pulled no one knows we farted.

There is a difference between listening and hearing I heard coach loud and clear. It's not the system, it's not the players, it's the brain farts

Go!! Zags!!!

Zagsker
02-18-2009, 07:06 PM
What I'm hoping for other than ending each game at least one point ahead of our opponent is that we take each of the next 10 to hopefully 12 games and play them one at a time as a cohesive unit.

I'll drink to that:)

lothar98zag
02-19-2009, 08:33 AM
I'll drink to that:)
that's a good note to end the thread on. more discussion on specific items can take place in other threads.