PDA

View Full Version : Bracketology: GUBoards Preferences

zagzilla
02-16-2009, 02:10 PM
With 3 weeks to go in the season we are starting to get a sense for what the group of teams that will include our opening round opponent will look like. If we are somewhere betweeen a 5 and 7 seed, that means we will play a 10/11/12 caliber opponent in the opening round.

That suggests our opening round opponent could come from the following group of teams.

BYU
Utah State
Wisconsin
Boston College
VA Tech
Florida
Florida St
Minnesota
San Diego St
Providence
Siena
UNLV
Arizona (not sure if that's allowed)
Davidson (in the PNW hopefully)
Miami (Lunardi has them as an 11 this week but I bet they aren't in)
Kentucky

Clearly there are lots of games to be played, but of this group

Who do you want to play most and least?

I'd prefer-Siena, Providence and San Diego St (C'mon #5 seed!)
I'd like to avoid-BC, Florida St and Utah State for some reason

Thoughts? Did I miss anybody?

Go Zags!

ZZ

BobZag
02-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Let's nab a 5 seed. :)

Pleasant Peninsula
02-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Yep, win-out = 5 seed, IMO.

And to answer the question, I'd be most afraid of those teams on that list that have one stud player that I would fear would torch Gonzaga. Davidson, Kentucky, Boston College, Florida and Miami would fall into that category.

BobZag
02-16-2009, 02:33 PM
A team that's far, far away from Portland and is known to play lousy when not on their homecourt, assuming the Zags are in Portland. :D

johnwzag
02-16-2009, 02:37 PM
One definate no - Boston College. You never know what they will bring.

Nevtelen
02-16-2009, 02:38 PM
From that group, I wouldn't want to play Kentucky (I'd have nightmares of Meeks shooting 113% from 3 and scoring 75,000 pts), SDSU (great ahtletes, gerat 3pt shooting), Minn, or Wisconsin (too deliberate). Maybe Miami, too, though I don't think McClinton could beat the Zags by himself. I also wouldn't particularly want to play Davidson, not because I don't think GU would win (we would), but because we just did that last year. I'd rather play some other team.

I would like to play Utah St (I generally dislike playing hungry, well-coached mids, but I think GU is longer, better on D, and at least as athletic as anyone on USU's schedule), BC (yeah, they beat Duke, but they have also lost some games to not so hot squads and they don't have great bigs), Florida St (not that impressed with them), Va Tech (same), or Siena (not as good as they were supposed to be and no dangerous bigs).

azzagfan
02-16-2009, 02:47 PM
6 seed, Minneapolis, for purely selfish reasons :).

pbriz
02-16-2009, 03:01 PM
a 7 seed vs Siena in the first round.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/andy_glockner/02/16/bracket/index.html?eref=T1

maineblackbear
02-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Please-no Boston College-- and I don't see us playing them. We will be (winning out or losing in Conference tournament final) a six or seven seed. So will they be-- living in Boston, I have been inundated with coverage of this squad--from their upset of North Carolina to this weekend's upending of Duke. Naaah--don't need to see them.

All other teams on this list--sure. We should stomp everyone, based upon our talent level. Or, lose in the first round to Utah State, based upon our mental level. I am with Bigblaha-- I am just living with how we end up. We could win it all. (Though it is tough to imagine winning six in a row with our mental set-up) Or we could lose in the first round. This team has all the talent in the world. But the mental stability of a sixteen year old girl face to face with a hot-rodding motorcycle driver in hot skin pants. Either way, the ride should be fun . . . mbb

theirishzag03
02-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Thats my attitude- well except for Kentucky or Miami * I would have the same nightmares as Nevtelen. McClinton almost single-handidly beat UNC-

I would actually REALLY like to exact some revenge on Davidson up here in the PNW (say Portland or even Boise).

Pure
02-16-2009, 03:56 PM
all i hope for is a second round game against UW .....

hoopster777
02-16-2009, 04:31 PM
UCLA sure fell a lot in the bracketology standings, weren't they a two seed last week? That would by far be the most dangerous team to play for a one seed....I wouldnt mind us playing BYU, Wisconsin, Florida, or Kentucky....SEC teams succckkk this year and Wisconsin is way down. Don't really know much about BYU but nothing screams at you that they are a dangerous team.

DixieZag
02-16-2009, 05:07 PM
And it is a big IF, (the SCU game scares me)-- we win out, a seven seed sounds awfully high, but maybe this team would respond better to a complete thumping by the committee than they would if they were "rewarded" by a higher seed. Freud would have a field day with this team.

krozman
02-16-2009, 05:40 PM
One definate no - Boston College. You never know what they will bring.

Probably EXACTLY what others say about us.

Zag4Hire
02-16-2009, 05:57 PM
With 3 weeks to go in the season we are starting to get a sense for what the group of teams that will include our opening round opponent will look like. If we are somewhere betweeen a 5 and 7 seed, that means we will play a 10/11/12 caliber opponent in the opening round.

That suggests our opening round opponent could come from the following group of teams.

BYU
Utah State
Wisconsin
Boston College
VA Tech
Florida
Florida St
Minnesota
San Diego St
Providence
Siena
UNLV
Arizona (not sure if that's allowed)
Davidson (in the PNW hopefully)
Miami (Lunardi has them as an 11 this week but I bet they aren't in)
Kentucky

Clearly there are lots of games to be played, but of this group

Who do you want to play most and least?

I'd prefer-Siena, Providence and San Diego St (C'mon #5 seed!)
I'd like to avoid-BC, Florida St and Utah State for some reason

Thoughts? Did I miss anybody?

Go Zags!

ZZ

I would love BC, Davidson, or Utah State for the simple reasons that BC is not really a good squad and I know we are a more physical team than Davidson and Utah State. You don't want Florida State--very big and very physical. Outside of Calathes, Florida is pretty lousy. I have seen Providence 4 times this season and I can't say whether I would nervous playing them--they are pretty much a poor man's version of Xavier. Our worst matchup on the sheet is Arizona but it is hard to say with that team away from their home crowd.

btzag
02-16-2009, 07:01 PM
If the Zags win out, including the WCC tourney, and do it impressively I think they can still get a 4 seed. That would put the Zags in the 13-16 range of teams throughout the country and that would be fair. Don't know where all this talk about a 7 seed is coming from, that would put us in the 25-28 range!

And Lunardi is a joke. 8 ACC teams in this week and six Big 10 teams! I honestly don't believe he watches games but just looks up the RPI rankings every week and seeds accordingly. The Big 10 is AWFUL this year but he is completely enthralled by something...not sure what...definitely not impressive play on the court or big non-conf wins. Oh yeah and he had Miami in at this point with a 4-7 record in conference. Again just a joke.