PDA

View Full Version : Who will create their own outside shot?

tyra
03-20-2007, 05:24 PM
When I look at the team next year, I wonder who can create their own shot from deep. Jeremy can penetrate. Matt has a great baseline move. Both Micah and Josh can shoot well from outside but neither can do it off their own dribble per se. Pendo has a deadly mid range shot (and increasingly from deep) off designed plays. This year, Raivio was deadly outside but mostly with his quick release off a screen. But next year, who can get a pass, dribble, juke and bury it? Or will it even matter with an offense that looks to have so many weapons and pass the ball well? It just seems like a weapon we could use and I don't see where it will come from.

mdZag23
03-20-2007, 06:05 PM
if the offense is run correctly and there is good ball movement, jump shooters are usually wide open and have no need to create shots.

RebornZag
03-20-2007, 06:34 PM
You need not look further than to Micah Downs. Downs will average more then 18 ppg next year. He's also 6'8"....hard to guard. He does NOT need screens, if that's what you're asking. Dustin Daye shoots incredibly well off the dribble. Have you seen him yet? This cat might be 6'10" tall but he's as quick as a cat...you'd better believe it too 'cause if you don't he'll leave you pickin up your jock strap as he hits another jumper. Daye, my friends, is one of the best small forwards or #3 guards in the country...Does that register with you yet? IN THE COUNTRY. You don't score over 35 pts a game consistently without being a VERY GOOD shooter. Oh, and I heard BJ Tucker (I mean Ira Brown) can create a pretty good jumper as well. And then we have a kid from our own state, Bainbridge, WA who was voted State Prep Player of the year for our illustrious state. Did you hear that? That's an honor that YOU won't forget. GRAY CAN CREATE!!! You don't lead Bainbridge Island to the championship game in the state tournament unless you CAN CREATE on your own. Without Gray, Bainbridge is a slightly above average team. Sure he had an off night in the state championship game, but did you see the help he got? And Bainbridge had beaten that team 2 or 3 times previously.....I'd say Bainbridge was the best team!!! Just NOT that night.

Next year's Zag team could quickly be named THE BOMBS AWAY KIDS.....:D :D

TimZag
03-20-2007, 06:51 PM
Dustin Daye shoots incredibly well off the dribble. Have you seen him yet?
Nope, is he related to Austin? ;)

RebornZag
03-20-2007, 07:12 PM
I think I might have messed up there TimZag. My bad!!

UberZagFan
03-20-2007, 07:32 PM
I agree with the player Reborn first listed: Micah. As was stated, he doesn't need to "create" because he is tall enough and gets off the ground enough that he can shoot over most of those who guard him. But even so, he can create space for his shot and did several times this year--one time it looked like his defender tore an ACL, his knee buckled so hard. I don't think we saw much of his skills in creating this year because it wasn't until the last 4 or 5 games that he felt comfortable that such creating was being asked of him.

And quite frankly, I'd just assume we never rely on a player creating as much as Adam did (unless of course, he's got Adam's skills!).

Zag79
03-22-2007, 10:11 AM
micah no doubt. if you have played with him you would know the catch, shake, and 26 footer buried play etched into your brain.