PDA

View Full Version : Index (formerly efficiency) statistics thru USF II

azzagfan
02-16-2009, 12:40 PM
It's been a while since I've posted these, so I thought I'd update the board.

Daye 16.35/gm (.619/min)
Heytvelt 16.08/gm (.553/min)
Bouldin 15.08/gm (.475/min)
Pargo 12.29/gm (.396/min)
Gray 11.73/gm (.423/min)
Downs 10.63/gm (.439/min)
Sacre 4.8/gm (.545/min)
Brown 4.38/gm (.427/min)
Goodson 4.38/gm (.338/min)
Foster 2.88/gm (.393/min)
Sorenson 1.67/gm (.5/min)
P-Maag .5/gm (.286/min)

Zag Average: 94.75/gm
Opponent Average: 61.5/gm

To give you and idea when compared to the average how much we were dominated against Memphis, for that game:
Zags 36 (our next lowest game is 64 vs. Utah)
Memphis 83.5 (our next biggest negative difference in a game was Utah 21.5)

The links below will take you to graphs showing the season trends for each player and also for the team and opponents.

6 starters (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_c_Vj6v6u_jg/SZndbhwiK9I/AAAAAAAAAKU/3wf3YKULAGQ/s1600-h/firstsix.JPG)
Reserves (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_c_Vj6v6u_jg/SZndn2aei1I/AAAAAAAAAKc/VFVQQLmIsy0/s1600-h/reserves.JPG)
Team/Opponents (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_c_Vj6v6u_jg/SZnd0otek3I/AAAAAAAAAKk/Rp8riKYxV7I/s1600-h/teamtotals.JPG)

spudzag
02-16-2009, 01:40 PM
It's been a while since I've posted these, so I thought I'd update the board.

Daye 16.35/gm (.619/min)
Heytvelt 16.08/gm (.553/min)
Bouldin 15.08/gm (.475/min)
Pargo 12.29/gm (.396/min)
Gray 11.73/gm (.423/min)
Downs 10.63/gm (.439/min)
Sacre 4.8/gm (.545/min)
Brown 4.38/gm (.427/min)
Goodson 4.38/gm (.338/min)
Foster 2.88/gm (.393/min)
Sorenson 1.67/gm (.5/min)
P-Maag .5/gm (.286/min)

Zag Average: 94.75/gm
Opponent Average: 61.5/gm

To give you and idea when compared to the average how much we were dominated against Memphis, for that game:
Zags 36 (our next lowest game is 64 vs. Utah)
Memphis 83.5 (our next biggest negative difference in a game was Utah 21.5)

The links below will take you to graphs showing the season trends for each player and also for the team and opponents.

6 starters (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_c_Vj6v6u_jg/SZndbhwiK9I/AAAAAAAAAKU/3wf3YKULAGQ/s1600-h/firstsix.JPG)
Reserves (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_c_Vj6v6u_jg/SZndn2aei1I/AAAAAAAAAKc/VFVQQLmIsy0/s1600-h/reserves.JPG)
Team/Opponents (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_c_Vj6v6u_jg/SZnd0otek3I/AAAAAAAAAKk/Rp8riKYxV7I/s1600-h/teamtotals.JPG)

Very interesting, thanks. I'm not a stats guy, but the trend lines for us and opponents look concerning.

Pleasant Peninsula
02-16-2009, 02:01 PM
What's interesting is that the linear chart suggests what many on this board have been saying for weeks: the overall team and most of the "top six" players were playing at a higher level early in the season than they are now. The two exceptions are Bouldin and Daye, who's efficiency performance has improved as the season has progressed. The general trend for Pargo is the bleakest.

I'd caution taking too much away from this trend. But I think there is something to it.

Other interesting bits:

The best performance of the year (by efficiency) was Matt Bouldin versus Portland (road) followed closely by Austin Daye's effort in the first Santa Clara game.

Heytvelt is the only Zag that has yet to have a truly awful performance.

Daye has had nine very good/great games this year, Heytvelt seven and Bouldin six. Pargo's had three, same with Gray and Downs has had two.

Off the bench the best performance of the year was Goodson's night on Saturday. Brown had a great effort in the first USF game and Foster was very efficient in the first St. Mary's win.

Zag79
02-16-2009, 05:53 PM
The general trend for Pargo is the bleakest. and yet contrary to some peoples constant posts on here, jeremy is still playing better than most on the team. considering his new role this year of distributing first (which we can all agree forcing plays has been where his TO occurs) he isnt playing that bad. if he limited his TOs he would be running this team almost perfect.

zaguarxj
02-16-2009, 06:36 PM
I don't care what the stats or the GU board are saying, JH is bringing it every night and has been the Zags' MVP to this date.

vaboris
02-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Are you his dad?

azzagfan
02-16-2009, 07:13 PM
I don't care what the stats or the GU board are saying, JH is bringing it every night and has been the Zags' MVP to this date.

Actually, I believe a close look at the stats reveals that you're correct. Austin has a higher average, but Josh has definitely been the most consistent. Zaguar, stats are just one way of looking at things, but we see so many internally competitive comments on this board between players on the same team, that you'd think we're more competitive about who will be in the NBA next year and less focused on how competitive the team will be in March.

Pleasant Peninsula
02-16-2009, 07:51 PM
and yet contrary to some peoples constant posts on here, jeremy is still playing better than most on the team. considering his new role this year of distributing first (which we can all agree forcing plays has been where his TO occurs) he isnt playing that bad. if he limited his TOs he would be running this team almost perfect.

Well, not according to these numbers. His efficiency numbers are the worst of the top six per minute (but considerably better than his backup Meech, who some very foolish posters have been saying should start). But your general point stands, and I agree with it. I think Pargo is doing pretty well this year, for the most part. He has accepted the role that, I believe was necessary, and he's doing a pretty good job running the show. On balance, I'm happy with his overall performance this year. His eff. ratings are hurt by a a couple of absolutely atrocious games (including the Memphis debacle) and of course he's had a couple meltdowns at the end of games that may have cost Gonzaga a W (UConn, AZ).

JH is bringing it every night and has been the Zags' MVP to this date.

I don't agree on the MVP part, but I think a reasonable argument can be made that this is true. As azzagfan points out, the fluctuations between performances for JH have been less severe than other players. As the numbers suggest, there is a pretty tight bunch between Daye, Heytvelt and Bouldin for the #1-3 spot, so whoever steps up the most between now and the end of the season from that group will likely deserve the "team MVP" honor.

Zag79
02-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Well, not according to these numbers. His efficiency numbers are the worst of the top six per minute (but considerably better than his backup Meech, who some very foolish posters have been saying should start). But your general point stands, and I agree with it. I think Pargo is doing pretty well this year, for the most part. He has accepted the role that, I believe was necessary, and he's doing a pretty good job running the show. On balance, I'm happy with his overall performance this year. His eff. ratings are hurt by a a couple of absolutely atrocious games (including the Memphis debacle) and of course he's had a couple meltdowns at the end of games that may have cost Gonzaga a W (UConn, AZ).

thanks for the correction, and great post! and i think the motto of this edition of zags is
"team MVP" honor. seems like every game someone else plays great and steps up.

UberZagFan
02-17-2009, 11:42 AM
One of the worst things that could have happened to fans of this team was to hear the announcers in Orlando repeatedly claim GU has 6 guys who could drop 20 on any given night. Instead of listening to what was said, many on here heard "GU has 6 guys who should be dropping 20 every night." Such thinking has given the naysayers 4-5 guys a night to rip on.

The "amazing" thing about these stats is how bunched up are the top six. The positive is that on any given night the chances that someone(s) will step up is that much greater; the negative is that someone on this board will point out that the other 4-5 guys failed to live up to their potential. Weird.

It's almost like many would prefer to just have 1-2 guys that have big game expectations so that when another player drops 14 and grabs 7 boards, everyone can say "wow, did you see so-n-so go for 14 and 7? what a game he had. he's a hard nose player. he really knows how to fill his role and is playing above expectations." This year when Micah or Daye or whoever does that, then everyone is saying "ah, whatever, it's expected....but did you see Gray only get 6 pts with 3 TOs?...jeesh, that kid should be dropping 20 a night!"

Thanks for posting some numbers that show how GU consistently gets production across the board---even if individually they may go up and down.

bballbeachbum
02-17-2009, 01:52 PM
thanks for posting those graphs

I was trying to remember games, like AZ, UConn and match them up to each player. Biggest surprise was Matt vs. UConn; I just did not remember him playing the game the graph represents he played. Did he?

If so, it's strange how somehow I've edited that from my memory; I don't have him playing poorly in a game this year, save Memphis.

speaking of Memphis, wonder what the linear of the team would look like without their data included. Not saying that game doesn't count, to the contrary; that game was a doozy.

Zag79
02-17-2009, 03:42 PM
memory is what makes this board so entertaining. a person who says pargo sucked against uconn becuase of a few TOS, forgets he was the reason we were in that game and he had really good numbers overall. that same person will say bouldins the best player on the team hands down, but forget all the games matt has been limited to single digits in scoring and not played well. opinions make this board, but i love it when stats are brought out to open eyes. its hard to argue against the truth, regardless of what your own eyes and brain think you saw! :D plus, i love the fact the we have 6 guys who can win the game. matt one game, josh the next, and so on. that will make us harder to beat in march!

ZagMania
02-17-2009, 05:23 PM
The team/opponent trends are the most troubling.

kitzbuel
02-17-2009, 06:38 PM
The team/opponent trends are the most troubling.

You think ours are troubling! You should see Notre Dame's or Georgetown's!

Without putting these stats in context of conference or NCAA norms, we have no idea as to whether the trends are bad or not. We have to compare Zag trends against the NCAA wide norm before we can make any judgments as to whether the trend is bad.