PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga #17 in AP Poll

MississppiZag
02-16-2009, 10:39 AM
A little higher in this one. Ahead of UCLA. Tennessee, Utah, Arizona are all receiving votes.

BobZag
02-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Memphis' win over Gonzaga has convinced voters that the Tigers are legit. That is a compliment to the Zags.

Tragically, though, all you dummies are blind to the truth that we suck.

hockeyzag
02-16-2009, 11:05 AM
#17 is a ranking we should be pretty happy with. There are certainly enough games left where by the end of our conference tournament we could be back in the top 12. I'll be crossing my fingers that we stay undefeated in our conference.

bullzag23
02-16-2009, 11:50 AM
#17 is a ranking we should be pretty happy with. There are certainly enough games left where by the end of our conference tournament we could be back in the top 12. I'll be crossing my fingers that we stay undefeated in our conference.

I'm also thinking that we should finish WCC play 12-0. Pepperdine and LMU at home shouldn't pose much of a threat, but USD/SCU are no gimmie's on the road.

TexasZagFan
02-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Memphis' win over Gonzaga has convinced voters that the Tigers are legit. That is a compliment to the Zags.

This is the most over-rated 17th ranked team in the history of AP basketball polls.

Of course, we'd be a top-4 team if Austin wouldn't whine about his fouls while play was in progress.

The current supply of emoticons are insufficient. Accordingly, allow me to say:

Off, OFF Damned Sarcasm!!!

If that doesn't stop the red rep, nothing will. No problemo, thanks to Reno & the rest of my Foo friends. My rep bat is so juiced, Barry Bonds & A-Roid could fit inside it.

FieldHouseFishHouse
02-16-2009, 12:02 PM
This is the most over-rated 17th ranked team in the history of AP basketball polls.

While I hope that we move up in the polls (which sometimes seems to help seeding). I tend to agree with you. Our drop was quite steep after our losing streak. But I don't know if close wins over a hobbled SMC and USF should move us up more than 1 spot.

TexasZagFan
02-16-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm also thinking that we should finish WCC play 12-0. Pepperdine and LMU at home shouldn't pose much of a threat, but USD/SCU are no gimmie's on the road.

12-0? Did we miss a couple of games? :lmao:

Rangerzag
02-16-2009, 12:13 PM

We are obviously DOOMED ;)

bullzag23
02-16-2009, 02:05 PM
12-0? Did we miss a couple of games? :lmao:

Did I mention that we're taking 2 games off this year? :p

Woops

johnwzag
02-16-2009, 02:39 PM

SUCK = LMU

We don't suck.

MDABE80
02-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Although BZ is a master of sarcasm, it's the mechanics of the game the voters don't see but we do. Execution...even though we win narrowly...is everything. We don't play good defense (except for 2 pt fg defense), we turn over too much and we don't rebound enough. Apart from the more childish protest, Austin is doing pretty well his 2nd year here. He rebounds and chases down balls. I think I even saw him dive for a ball once;)

I think we win the rest of the regular season games, we get a 5 or 6 seed, and maybe squeak out a win in the 1st round....and come home after that. I just don't think we have theteamwork or smooth mechanics to go far. And I might hate this more than anyone. Such promise and such talent...and pffffffffffft. When we gave up after UConn, we showed we aren't tough enough. No first rate batch of kids who have the necessary toughness give up after a squeaker like that. NO they get tougher and rage that it'll never happen again.

Sorry to say but after watching those weekend games, I know we can win but we're weak..and I still don't know why. Might be as simple as this: it is what it is. But, on the bright side, we have really good young men who are doing well in school. Good kids become good men. Sometimes, it's the only thing we at GU can do well.

NEC26
02-16-2009, 03:23 PM
What I don't get is how does Louisville not drop after getting smoked by ND by 33. They are not the seventh best team out there not even close.

BobZag
02-16-2009, 05:11 PM
I thought the guys played tough at SMC. Many top teams would find that a tough go in that small gym. But there was a letdown vs USF and despite 60+% shooting, turnovers and 3-point shooting D made the Zags look, well, not that good.

If I could be granted one wish, it would be for the Zags to be as tough as Pitt is, but few teams are. I think fans are still befuddled as to why the team didn't "bring it" vs Memphis.

MickMick
02-16-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm thinking about the ranking (beauty contest) with respect to recruiting. I don't care if the Zags are worthy of their ranking. I care if they are percieved as a worthwhile option by top recruits. Being ranked helps the perception.

theirishzag03
02-16-2009, 09:37 PM
If I could be granted one wish, it would be for the Zags to be as tough as Pitt is, but few teams are. I think fans are still befuddled as to why the team didn't "bring it" vs Memphis.

Count me in! Man the game 2nite (Pitt vs UConn) displayed a true standard of toughness- A sequence with about 3 minutes left really epitomized the level of intensity- The rebounds were fought after like the ball was a winning $200 million dollar power-ball ticket in a hurricane! Diving on the floor, fiercely clutching the ball, swinging the elbows a little bit. It was a dog fight! I did notice UConn to be getting a bit of "Zag Luck" with some long rebounds finding boxed out defenders beyond the FT line. Blair at the line with his Rocky Balboa looking eye :) Thabeet looking totally deflated like a kid put over a father's knee getting the belt.