Angelo Roncalli
02-16-2009, 08:27 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/usatpoll.htm

BobZag
02-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Good to see Memphis climbing.

Reborn
02-16-2009, 09:37 AM
Interesting poll. It's hard to accept that there are 3 Pac 10 teams better than Gonzaga this year. And am surprised UW who is the head of the Pac 10 is rated lower both UCLA and Arizona St. Polls never cease to surprise me.

what I do like about the polls is being ranked in the top 20. Nice. I also like seeing Arizona, Utah, Tennessee and St. Mary's now being included in the OTHER category. It suggests that our ROAD losses to Utah and Arizona were not really that bad at all. And now after Arizona just creamed UCLA at home, I think it makes us look even tougher.

I think a couple of the teams that would be #4 seeds In the NCAA tounament: Clemson, Villanova, and maybe Illinois, could be better than a couple of the teams that would be #3 seeds in March: Duke, Arizona St, and possibly Missouri. I would rather play any of these teams than the #4 seeds. I guess right now I'd rather be ranked #21 and play Arizona St in March than be ranked #20 and play Villanova. I would love to have the chance to play a Pac 10 team in March. And I'm getting a feelling that we may. We could play any of three Pac 10 teams if we make it to the second round: UW, UCLA, OR Arizona St. There would be great interest in these match ups out West I think.

75Zag
02-16-2009, 09:43 AM
Go Bulldogs - cracking the top 20 (again) is great.

The Missouri coaching staff must have embarrassing dirty pictures of the people who vote in this poll. Missouri at 10? Give me a break.

Go Bulldogs. See you in Vegas!

Pleasant Peninsula
02-16-2009, 10:54 AM
The Missouri coaching staff must have embarrassing dirty pictures of the people who vote in this poll. Missouri at 10? Give me a break.

Missouri is 22-4, has excellent computer numbers, is coming off victories over Texas (on the road) and Kansas and has zero bad losses. What's not to like?

theirishzag03
02-16-2009, 10:54 AM
#17 and a 6 seed? Oh well, we have not been exactly impressive in our last couple wins. Memphis has been demolishing foes lately! Sure makes it look like a 4-5 seed is the tops we may get. 3 Pac-10 team ahead of us is BAD! UCLA get swept and barely drops.

Hukies jumping us will likely only last a week, as they travel to So. Cal to play UCLA and USC. Hey if they do win both, we will all have to admit they belong there. I know it was only Oregon and their "lucky" coach, but the Huskies having FOUR guys with 20 or more points is impressive. We have 6-7 guys who could get 20, but 4 on one night, wow!

Krobbins34
02-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Zags are #17 in AP Poll, and a #6 seed playing in Boise on Bracketology. Lunardi has a playing Miami first, and if we won we'd play the winner of Weber St and Kansas. He also has us in the West Bracket.

I also like this bracket. Miami would be a tough game for a 1st round match up but then I think we match up well against kansas a Michigan St on the way through the elite eight.

zagzilla
02-16-2009, 11:52 AM
#20 ESPN/USA Today

#17 AP poll

#12 at Kenpom

#16 in Sagarin computer rankings

#30 RPI

All those numbers point to a 5 more than a 6 seed to me. Assuming we win out (which I think we will), our ranking will rise to the mid to low teens but our RPI will fall. Hope Utah Tenn, AZ, etc... keep winning to help our profile too.

Overall probably keeps us about where we are at now.

DADoZAG
02-16-2009, 12:01 PM
The current Bracketology couldn't be better imo.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

Seattle_Zag
02-16-2009, 12:08 PM
The current Bracketology couldn't be better imo.

"http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology"

Let's pray that we do not face Miami in the first round. That is a terrible match up for us. McClinton is exactly the type of player that would go off for 40 on us and they are just a much more physical team than we are.

Seattle_Zag
02-16-2009, 12:19 PM
#20 ESPN/USA Today

#17 AP poll

#12 at Kenpom

#16 in Sagarin computer rankings

#30 RPI

All those numbers point to a 5 more than a 6 seed to me. Assuming we win out (which I think we will), our ranking will rise to the mid to low teens but our RPI will fall. Hope Utah Tenn, AZ, etc... keep winning to help our profile too.

Overall probably keeps us about where we are at now.

The RPI is the big number here. #30 indicates an 8 seed. Granted, there are teams ahead of us in the RPI that will in no way be seeded ahead of us, so I think we currently sit at a 6 seed pushing towards a 7.

If we win out and win our conference tournament, the committee has a lot to consider. We would be undefeated in conference, be 9-1 in our last 10 games, have "good" wins over St. Marys (3, hopefully the 3rd with Patty Mills back), Tennessee (2), Maryland, Oklahoma State.

On the flip side, we have a terrible loss to Portland State and no "great" wins.

If we win out, we would be fortunate to get a 5 seed and play in Portland or Boise. And I mean very fortunate.

I think our RPI would end up dropping just a little bit considering we still have to play LMU and Pepperdine, but a win over St. Mary's would hopefully help balance that a little bit.

A 5 seed is the best we can hope for. I think we have the resume of a 6 if we win out and a 7 or 8 if we drop one in between.

GonzagaDynasty
02-16-2009, 12:23 PM
I also like this bracket. Miami would be a tough game for a 1st round match up but then I think we match up well against kansas a Michigan St on the way through the elite eight.

I couldnt agree with you more.. Although since we are projected to play them, the odds of us actually playing them is around zero... But Gonzaga cant stop star guards, however we've shut down some bigtime big men this year.. I

I think i've stopped trying to figure out this team. Im just going to watch and pray they win basketball games.. They are playing like crap.

DADoZAG
02-16-2009, 12:27 PM
I must admit that I overlooked Miami, and was thinking about court advantage (provided Arizona didn't move to the Sweet 16).

My bad.

UberZagFan
02-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Uber would rather be in California's place but with the games in Boise. SDSU followed by Xavier* is much better than Miami followed by Kansas.

Lunardi has Xavier as a 3 seed and on the rise, despite losses to Dayton and Duquesne in the past week and a half followed by a win against Fordham (1-9 in conference; 3-19 overall)? Sure their resume may still be a 3 but indicating that recent play has then "on the rise" is a bit surprising.

Also notice that Lunardi still has GU in Boise despite not being a protected seed.

Pleasant Peninsula
02-16-2009, 02:22 PM
The RPI is the big number here. #30 indicates an 8 seed. Granted, there are teams ahead of us in the RPI that will in no way be seeded ahead of us, so I think we currently sit at a 6 seed pushing towards a 7.

If we win out, we would be fortunate to get a 5 seed and play in Portland or Boise. And I mean very fortunate.

This seems to be conventional wisdom, but I do not believe it is so. Recent history suggests that RPI really does not have much of an impact on seeding or determining the field, at least not near as much as it gets credit for. The committee has repeatedly downplayed the role RPI has in their process. It is used (along with other computer numbers) to gather teams in groups (RPI 1-25, or 1-50, 1-100, sub150, etc) in order to gauge a team's performance versus those groups. But there's really not a direct correlation between a team's RPI rank and the seed they get.

Now having said that, I agree with the second quoted point. While I believe that there still is an outside chance for a #4 (I think Lunardi has the probability about right, a 15% chance), a 26-5 Gonzaga team would seem to fit right in as a #5...which would mean a trip to Boise or Portland would be fortunate, since the committee could just as easily send us back East because our seed won't be protected. And of course, should Gonzaga get a favorable location draw, it would probably anger some #4 seed (rightfully so?). Unless that #4 seed is Washington.

Which would kick ass. Probably would mean a matchup with a #13 seed in the second round. http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

johnwzag
02-16-2009, 02:34 PM
I expect more shake ups this year. I don't expect to lose a WCC game before the tourney. I do expect to see more teams falter down the line.

BC over Duke too? What is up with Boston College. They beat UNC and now Duke, but that is really about it. I would say they are not giving 100% all the time if they can pull off those two upsets.

More upsets coming. Memphis is on a role. If they play the rest of the season like they played us, I can see a National Championship coming their way. UConn was no wear near as frustrating and tough.

UberZagFan
02-16-2009, 03:40 PM
FWIW, the committee tries to protect 5 seeds as well.