PDA

View Full Version : Meech Goodson last night

CDC84
02-15-2009, 06:55 PM
I had the rare opportunity of watching a game from the 2nd row last night, so I was able to take in some things that I normally wouldn't see....

Meech Goodson had his best game as a Zag last night. When he went out of the game late in the 1st half, I thought RayG was going to wipe him down with a towel and get him a drink. He's like a track star out there....he's so freaking fast it's incredible. But what made his performance really good was that he knocked down 2 three pointers. He made the Dons pay for playing off of him. However, I can tell you that he really needs to work on his shot. It's worse than Pargo's is. His release isn't good, and the ball comes out with a knuckleball type rotation that is not good for getting friendly bounces. The same thing happens when he shoots free throws. He really needs to work hard in the gym this offseason to get that shot straightened out. He doesn't need to be a great shooter, but just enough of a shooter to keep defenses honest and knock down free throws at a respectable percentage. If he can knock down some shots, and mature into the great defender he can be (he needs to stop hand checking, etc.), Zag fans are going to be in for a treat.

I don't know if it's an injury, a lack of confidence or what, but Pargo is fumbling his dribble and just doesn't have the handle he used to. I was nervous watching him dribbling around in the halfcourt. As many turnovers as he's had over the years, you almost never see mediocre perimeter defenders disrupting his dribble. The turnovers are normally the result of bad passing decisions. It was really interesting to see him, Bouldin and Goodson out there at the end of the game. Even though that lineup is a poor long range shooting lineup, I could tell that Pargo was enjoying being a 2 guard and not having to worry about running the show....he could focus on moving without the ball and driving it.

Last comment: I wish the rest of the nation knew how good of a college basketball player Dior Lowhorn is. The kid has had 4 coaches during his playing career, and yet he just keeps playing hard and producing without complaint. He's one of the more unheralded players at the D-1 level.

jscrk
02-15-2009, 09:31 PM
You mentioned that Goodson needs to work on his shot fundamentals: release point; rotation; how the ball comes off of his hand. I wonder if it is too late and if he can ever develop into a good shooter. Similar comments could be made about Pargo during his career and I have not witnessed much improvement during his 4 years at GU with his shot. Also, I am sure that Goodson has had good high school and AAU coaches who have tried to work with him on his shot. I believe that Goodson will be a ball player who is very fast and quick, who will be fun to watch, but who will struggle with his shot similar to Winston Brooks.

CDC84
02-15-2009, 10:04 PM
AAU coaches, even if they could do teach the game's fundamentals, don't have the time to teach them because of all the travel and games. It's one of the game's many problems. I suspect in high school, the emphasis with Meech was put on running the team and defending. There wasn't a need to shoot. If he needed to score, he could just beat everyone off the bounce.

I've seen many examples of kids who were poor shooters coming into college but who made themselves into good shooters during their career....but it took a lot of effort and instruction. You have to be willing to work for it. I'm not sure what kind of time Pargo put in to improve this area of his game. Stanford had a great point guard earlier this decade named Mike McDonald, who actually reminds me of Meech at times. He couldn't hit a pea in the ocean when he first arrived in Palo Alto, but he was a 50% 3 point shooter by the time he was a senior. Granted, he didn't take many shots because he had guys like Casey Jacobsen and the Collins twins around him, but defenses had to take him seriously. Defenses are sagging off of Meech too much. I see no reason why he can't make himself into 37% 3 point shooter, and a 78% foul shooter.

MedZag
02-16-2009, 06:57 AM
You mentioned that Goodson needs to work on his shot fundamentals: release point; rotation; how the ball comes off of his hand. I wonder if it is too late and if he can ever develop into a good shooter. Similar comments could be made about Pargo during his career and I have not witnessed much improvement during his 4 years at GU with his shot. Also, I am sure that Goodson has had good high school and AAU coaches who have tried to work with him on his shot. I believe that Goodson will be a ball player who is very fast and quick, who will be fun to watch, but who will struggle with his shot similar to Winston Brooks.

AAU coaches are good at one thing and one thing only... showcasing talent. I'd list fundamentals development near if not at the bottom of the list. (No offense to any posters who happen to be AAU coaches, but I've seen/heard of too many AAU horror stories.) I've seen 30 year old NBA players completely remake their shot. To imply its "too late" for 19 year old kid... meh?

What I love about Meech is that the things he's weak on ARE the things that you can work on. Moving the feet on defense, less using the hands. Shot release. Decisions running the offense. But the things he has in spades are the things you can't teach. Aggressiveness. Motor. Speed. Attitude.

zag67
02-16-2009, 07:15 AM
I would like to agree with everything that MedZag said. He plays fast, hard, and team ball. That is going to be fun to watch during the next 3 years. Hopefully the other things improve, but if not he still will be a force to deal with.

DADoZAG
02-16-2009, 08:31 AM
Right on MedZag.

This would be a perfect week to give Pargo some rest. Rest the thumb, rest the leg, rest the brain, rest the ego.

Start Meech on Thursday and find out what the team can do with the "motor" floored.

BobZag
02-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Meech is a gym rat, he could live in K2. If Krause or Lloyd want to retool his shot, he's the type of kid who will do it. Dickau did it, Adam did it, Cory did it, dedicated athletes (think Tiger) will do whatever must be done to improve, be it reworking a jumpshot or changing a golf swing. Meech will do it if he's told to.

And I agree on Lowhorn.

SteeleMan
02-16-2009, 10:14 AM
How was "security" for the game?

BullHurley
02-16-2009, 11:35 AM
I don't know if it's an injury, a lack of confidence or what, but Pargo is fumbling his dribble and just doesn't have the handle he used to.

This is something that I've been thinking about a lot. I'm convinced that Pargo has some kind of nagging injury that has been causing him problems. If you remember during the UConn game, Pargo went out with a cramp. It seems like he hasn't played the same since. Since so much of Pargo's game relies on his explosive speed, any injury that slows him down could have a huge effect on his game.

rennis
02-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Meech is a gym rat, he could live in K2. If Krause or Lloyd want to retool his shot, he's the type of kid who will do it. Dickau did it, Adam did it, Cory did it, dedicated athletes (think Tiger) will do whatever must be done to improve, be it reworking a jumpshot or changing a golf swing. Meech will do it if he's told to.

And I agree on Lowhorn.

Don't forget Bankhead. He was money as a freshman, but his stroke was WHACK. Coaches changed his entire shooting form in one year.

gamagin
02-16-2009, 11:52 AM
This is something that I've been thinking about a lot. I'm convinced that Pargo has some kind of nagging injury that has been causing him problems. If you remember during the UConn game, Pargo went out with a cramp. It seems like he hasn't played the same since. Since so much of Pargo's game relies on his explosive speed, any injury that slows him down could have a huge effect on his game.

It seems to me JP has a problem with a little dence in his confi. He needs some GeRRRRR in his swag. And a dose of selection in his shot plus a whole lot of tration (like 40 minutes nonstop) in his Concen.

Go Zags !

BullHurley
02-16-2009, 03:35 PM
It seems to me JP has a problem with a little dence in his confi. He needs some GeRRRRR in his swag. And a dose of selection in his shot plus a whole lot of tration (like 40 minutes nonstop) in his Concen.

Go Zags !

You know, I remember hearing the same thing about Josh last year. I'm pretty sure I read some of it here. After the season ended, everyone was shocked to find out he was playing hurt most of the year.

Zag79
02-16-2009, 06:19 PM
funny thing about pargo... he has climbed to fourth on Gonzagas CAREER assists chart with 548 trailing Matt Santangelo (668), Blake Stepp (640) and John Stockton (554). he will pass john stockton by next game. great company i might add. he also has 156 career steals, which ranks 3rd all time, and he will be second by seasons end no doubt. finally, his 1130 career points will have him in the top 20 career zag scorers. yes his scoring is down, and TOs are up BUT much of this is due to his new role. his assist to TO ratio is the highest in his career and as you can see its a damn good one. care to rethink how good mr pargo is? :lmao: wow.

zaguarxj
02-16-2009, 06:31 PM
One thing I haven't seen discussed much yet is Meech's, er... chippy-ness, for want of a better word. He almost got in a fight vs TN's big man (Chism?) in the 1st game. In the 2nd half of the Memphis game, I saw one of the Memphis players give him a bit of a chest-bump (the aggressive kind, not the celebratory kind) as they walked back onto the court after a time-out. Those are the only specific examples I can think of, but he just seems to get under the skin of his opponents... And I kind of like that. :) Kind of Morrison-like in that way.

ZagLawGrad
02-16-2009, 06:37 PM
I think our future is in good hands with this young player. His speed and dribble control is going to create a lot of scoring opportunites for our big guys, and for Mr. Meech himself.

FuManShoes
02-16-2009, 06:56 PM
funny thing about pargo... he has climbed to fourth on Gonzagas CAREER assists chart with 548 trailing Matt Santangelo (668), Blake Stepp (640) and John Stockton (554). he will pass john stockton by next game. great company i might add. he also has 156 career steals, which ranks 3rd all time, and he will be second by seasons end no doubt. finally, his 1130 career points will have him in the top 20 career zag scorers. yes his scoring is down, and TOs are up BUT much of this is due to his new role. his assist to TO ratio is the highest in his career and as you can see its a damn good one. care to rethink how good mr pargo is? :lmao: wow.

No one can dispute the cumulative numbers, but the assists have flatlined and the TOs have spiked. Jeremy would probably be the first to say he's not playing his best ball and hasn't been for weeks. In fact, I think the Zags are winning some of these games in spite of Jeremy', not because of him. what happened the the uber-efficient field general? Now sure, on the whole, Jeremy has been a godsend for the Zags, but it pains me and must pain Jeremy, his teammates and his coaches to see him struggle like this as a senior. I think he can still turn it around, and he must if the Zags are to do anything March. Meech is good but inexperienced and no doubt Few will go with Pargo in the biggest games of the year. If he can deliver then, on the big stage, then I'll be ready to put him on the pedestal of Santangelo, Stepp, Dickau, etc.

Zag79
02-16-2009, 07:20 PM
first of all, stepp never really won any bigger games than pargo has for us. actually, it was his ability to be so damn awesome only to play like crap in march that leaves most people with memories of him. and pargo is 4th on the overall efficiency charts, which means? hes the fourth best contributor on our team. so im sure hes helped win more than hes lost.

Trust me, I sat behind the Dons bench and they were still daring him to beat them with threes. He's not a game changer on offense, but he is a good defender.

the last three years would disagree with your opinion pargo isnt a game changer on Offense. hell, hes won games by himself when people were standing around watching. and the 3 isnt his strength, teams dare the opposition to do whatever there weaknes is. why do you think they let meech shoot 3s? or force matt to play against a bigger guard? everyone has a weakness. no matter who you like and who you dont, my point was pargos numbers for his career put him high on the charts of great zag pgs, and even this year arent close to as bad as i keep reading on this board. could he play better? of course. but dont over exxagerate whats going on.