PDA

View Full Version : Bit from Gottlieb's Blog on Few

NEZAGFAN
02-15-2009, 04:00 PM
It is now or never for Mark Few. Not for this Gonzaga team -- they have flaws all over the place. But Few's best route to go back home to Oregon may appear soon. While Ernie Kent has not been relieved of his duties as head coach of Oregon, the Ducks' 0-12 start in Pac-10 play -- and the fact that they've been noncompetitive in many league games -- means his tenure might be coming to an end in Eugene. Kent had some troubles in his personal life that became front-page news in Eugene a couple of years ago, and despite his second trip to the Elite Eight, some bad feelings are said still to exist.

With a young and talented team assembled for next season and a new 12,500-seat arena set to debut in two seasons, the time for a change appears to be now. Few has taken Gonzaga from a couple-of-hits wonder to a national name and a consistent presence on national television. He's familiar with the area recruiting-wise, and there's a sense that Few has taken the Zags as far as they are going to go.

rawkmandale
02-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Total bull. There are a number of places we haven't gone, and with stability we can challenge ourselves every year - some of which won't live up to expectations, but many will. A lot of teams in the big conferences end up with half-empty "stadiums." Not much joy there, save an occasional season when things go really well. 20 more years at Gonzaga, and Few will be in rarified air of the collegiate coaching profession - among the greatest ever.

gamagin
02-15-2009, 04:16 PM
It is now or never for Mark Few. Not for this Gonzaga team -- they have flaws all over the place. But Few's best route to go back home to Oregon may appear soon. While Ernie Kent has not been relieved of his duties as head coach of Oregon, the Ducks' 0-12 start in Pac-10 play -- and the fact that they've been noncompetitive in many league games -- means his tenure might be coming to an end in Eugene. Kent had some troubles in his personal life that became front-page news in Eugene a couple of years ago, and despite his second trip to the Elite Eight, some bad feelings are said still to exist.

With a young and talented team assembled for next season and a new 12,500-seat arena set to debut in two seasons, the time for a change appears to be now. Few has taken Gonzaga from a couple-of-hits wonder to a national name and a consistent presence on national television. He's familiar with the area recruiting-wise, and there's a sense that Few has taken the Zags as far as they are going to go.

As turning points go, this guy makes sense, for Oregon. There's an assumption in there that Few would like to return "home" to Oregon. I wonder about that.

His home, certainly, as an adult and as a coach, has been Spokane and Gonzaga University for about two decades. He has become part of the university in many ways and the school he has helped shape in sports has also shaped him. Even though he is an alum of Oregon, he has not been a part of that scene since he was in his 20's.

Spokane has also been home for his wife their entire married lives. Their chilren were born here. They have deep roots, I believe.

But, with Spitzer on his way out and the GU program in fine form overall, "IF" there were some desire on MF's part to return home, or just a desire for a change of scenery, as suggested, well, it might be an ideal time.

I don't think so, however. I certainly hope not.

Go Zags !

kclubfounder
02-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Hello? Gonzaga has had much more success than the Oregon Schmucks have EVER had. And don't point to their lame NCAA championship in the 1st year of the NCAA, when the NIT was the real tournament (the fact is that the Schmucks actually have been pretty successful in the bridesmaid tourney - when it was the NCAA and now that it is the NIT).

NE, Few is not an idiot. Gonzaga is positioned WAY better than the the Oregon Schmucks. It would take an IDIOT to leave the Gonzaga job for an Oregon job because you think it may reap better results.

Unless he has some deep desire to be the coach of Oregon (even if it means having less successful teams) or unless he wants more short term money, he is NOT going to take the Oregon job.

BobZag
02-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Gottleib is right about the new arena, it's going to be incredibly posh, so to speak. But Few is a very private person, he shies away from the media (no radio or TV show) and I can't picture him having to answer to huge boosters like Phil Knight, let alone all the shmoozing he'd have to do with boosters. I just don't think he'd be happy with all the peripheral demands.

Just A Zag
02-15-2009, 04:36 PM
I don't know if I would say its complete bull. If we have another early exit and the Oregon job opens up they will probably go after Few. Its a possibility at the very least. I don't think Few would leave, but people are being naive if you think Oregon won't come knockin'

ZagLawGrad
02-15-2009, 04:40 PM
The wild card is money. It can make people do funny things, sometimes even the unexpected.

I'd hope he would have a long talk with Don Monson before considering a move to Oregon.

VaBeachZAG
02-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Lets get real here. In very short order Oregon (under Few) would become a dominant program. I think everyone who knows anything about college basketball recognizes this, including Few and including everyone on this board (whether they wish to recognize reality or not). Oregon would be a perfect fit for Few, provided he is willing to put his personal life and that of his family under the spotlight. The question (as suggested by Bobzag) is whether Few is prepared to drastically compromise his personal/private life for the Oregon job. If he is, I believe he will take the Oregon job if it becomes available. If not, he will stay put.

Shanachie
02-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Hello? Gonzaga has had much more success than the Oregon Schmucks have EVER had. And don't point to their lame NCAA championship in the 1st year of the NCAA, when the NIT was the real tournament (the fact is that the Schmucks actually have been pretty successful in the bridesmaid tourney - when it was the NCAA and now that it is the NIT).

NE, Few is not an idiot. Gonzaga is positioned WAY better than the the Oregon Schmucks. It would take an IDIOT to leave the Gonzaga job for an Oregon job because you think it may reap better results.

Unless he has some deep desire to be the coach of Oregon (even if it means having less successful teams) or unless he wants more short term money, he is NOT going to take the Oregon job.

I don't think Few will leave Gonzaga for the Oregon job, but it's just not true that it would would take an idiot to do so. It depends on the situation at both places and what an individual values. I don't think this is the case, but it's conceivable that Few could be ready for a new challenge after twenty years at GU. I hope he stays for his whole career, but if not, I wish him the best.

kclubfounder
02-15-2009, 04:56 PM
I didn't say it would take an idiot take the Oregon job. I said it would take an idiot to do it if they believe it would reap better results.

Hello?! Jeez Louise. Now I know what some politicians go through whose words are taken TOTALLY out of context.

GoZags
02-15-2009, 04:59 PM
http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=17669

This thread (from late January) touched on some of the things Fewie has experienced (through his friends) vis a vis taking a shot at the "brass ring" or leaving for "greener pastures".

Just A Zag
02-15-2009, 05:02 PM
I didn't say it would take an idiot take the Oregon job. I said it would take an idiot to do it if they believe it would reap better results.

Hello?! Jeez Louise. Now I know what some politicians go through whose words are taken TOTALLY out of context.

I think competing in the pac-10 against stronger competition in a new gym could reap better results. Plus, haven't they made it to more elite eights than us the last 10 years? What better results are you looking for. Oregon looks bad now, but they are not far off from being a tourney team yet again

ZagLawGrad
02-15-2009, 05:08 PM
I think competing in the pac-10 against stronger competition in a new gym could reap better results. Plus, haven't they made it to more elite eights than us the last 10 years? What better results are you looking for. Oregon looks bad now, but they are not far off from being a tourney team yet again

I agree that Oregon would likely improve in short order under a good coach who has a fresh start. I'm not a Pac-10 fan, but I suspect most coaches in this country would say that the Oregon job would be one that has a big upside.

Das Zagger
02-15-2009, 05:12 PM
The wild card is money. It can make people do funny things, sometimes even the unexpected.

I'd hope he would have a long talk with Don Monson before considering a move to Oregon.

I have to think that he is making pretty good cash right now, plus the cost of living in Spokane isn't all that high.

The expectations at Oregon, with all the money Uncle Phil has pumped in, would be super high for him or any coach for that matter. Ernie is basically like Romar, great recruiter, smooth talker, not a great X's and O's guy, and sometimes (i.e. every 4th or 5th season) can put it all together and make a run.

If Few was going to take the Oregon job, he would have done it by now.

kclubfounder
02-15-2009, 05:15 PM
So you guys think that Few may believe he could have better results becoming the Oregon coach than staying as the Gonzaga coach.

Wow, I didn't think anyone would really believe that. Once again, I am proven wrong.

ZagLawGrad
02-15-2009, 05:38 PM
I have to think that he is making pretty good cash right now, plus the cost of living in Spokane isn't all that high.

The expectations at Oregon, with all the money Uncle Phil has pumped in, would be super high for him or any coach for that matter. Ernie is basically like Romar, great recruiter, smooth talker, not a great X's and O's guy, and sometimes (i.e. every 4th or 5th season) can put it all together and make a run.

If Few was going to take the Oregon job, he would have done it by now.

I read estimates of Kent's salary around $1.1M. Few's salary is not public record so far as I know, but have read estimates of $750k.

I bet Few could get more than Kent. But money is not everything for sure.

zag67
02-15-2009, 06:01 PM
I think that you have to ask yourself, what is the security in the job? How brutal will the schedule be to recruit the players he will need (being away from his family)? How long will they give him to get a winning program?

I also think that Mark has made sure that his assistants are paid more than most to ensure that he can keep continuity and a winning program at GU. They also take pressure off of him so that he has more time to be with his family and fly fishing. Nobody knows what his plans are, but I hope he stays and keeps this super program rolling.

We will never be a place like Duke, UNC, Kansas, Louisiville, or Memphis. And by this I mean the attracting of the quantity of top players in the nation. But I do believe that the coaches have done a super job of finding players that want to learn and are competive. By doing this they become as good as those teams. And every so often we will make a deep run.

NotoriousZ
02-15-2009, 06:11 PM
I read estimates of Kent's salary around $1.1M. Few's salary is not public record so far as I know, but have read estimates of $750k.

I bet Few could get more than Kent. But money is not everything for sure.

Don't forget about the Oregon state income tax. :doh:

rawkmandale
02-15-2009, 06:17 PM
I'm not certain I agree about attracting top players. Someday we'll crack the Final Four door, and that could open a floodgate of players. Also, if Turiaf continues to grow into a top flight NBA player, that is gong to help recruiting. We're likely to continue to self-select character guys, but I think we still have room to grow in the recruiting area.

Just A Zag
02-15-2009, 06:25 PM
So you guys think that Few may believe he could have better results becoming the Oregon coach than staying as the Gonzaga coach.

Wow, I didn't think anyone would really believe that. Once again, I am proven wrong.

I don't know if I truly feel that way but my point was that to think about it doesn't make us idiots. Or did I take that out of context as well?

kclubfounder
02-15-2009, 06:42 PM
Just a,

To think about it is fine. To take it because you want more money or you have a long lost love for Oregon is fine. To take it because you think you are more likely to have better results would mean you are an idiot.

Are you an idiot? I don't think so. But if you keep questioning and misinterpreting my statement, then I am going to wonder.

Just A Zag
02-15-2009, 06:48 PM
Just a,

To think about it is fine. To take it because you want more money or you have a long lost love for Oregon is fine. To take it because you think you are more likely to have better results would mean you are an idiot.

Are you an idiot? I don't think so. But if you keep questioning and misinterpreting my statement, then I am going to wonder.

I'm not misinterpreting anything, just disagreeing. To think that Few wouldn't have success at Oregon is being a little shortsighted in my opinion. And you are entitled to yours...have a good night

Shanachie
02-15-2009, 07:28 PM

To take it because you think you are more likely to have better results would mean you are an idiot.

If I misread your original post, I apologize. But even with your clarification, I don't agree with you.

I think it's reasonable to believe that, with the right situation at Oregon, Few would have a chance to achieve more than he could at Gonzaga. None of us knows what the future holds at Gonzaga. The school will soon have new leadership. Will the support of the basketball team continue? I don't know. Even with support from the administration, it's not out of the question that the program has topped out.

Say what you will about the Pac-10, its TV contract, etc. The fact is, there are some recruits that want to play in the BCS leagues. Nothing wrong with that. Heck, some of them might just want to play a few big games at home rather than on the road or at neutral sites. Over time, just about every recruit that would consider Gonzaga with Few as the coach would also consider Oregon with Few as the coach. Plus, many more top-tier recruits would be in play that just aren't for GU.

GeorgiaZagFan
02-15-2009, 07:44 PM
.... Few's son when they move to Oregon? I know that Stockton isn't going anywhere!!!! :) Didn't I hear that the young Few plays for a team coached by John Stockton.....you just can't get that in Oregon.....who is the best NBA player ever to come out of Oregon? Any HOFer's from Oregon?

theirishzag03
02-15-2009, 07:54 PM
I thought he was going to Arizona??? Did they not "find" enough money???

Also, I guess some posters believe Ernie Kent is a "lucky" coach who took his Ducks to TWO elite-eights & coach Few is more skilled and could finally help the Ducks break through to the Final Four and beyond??? Few could recruit a higher level talent than Kent? (Aaron Brooks, Malik Hairston, Fred Jones, Luke Ridnour, Alex Scales, Luke Jackson)

Seems like a NO-Win situation for Mark to me. Kind of like the Indiana job would have been.

Money??? If the Zags make a FF or better he could demand the same money right here.

Recruiting and BCS conference with a new 12,500 seat venue with all the goodies, if anything may get his attention, but as BZ has mentioned attention is one thing he does not need or want. Hmmm, he could be trying to pull a "John Gruden" Ernie could be Tony Dungy, and Mark can be John. But unless he has similar results in a short time, he would sure regret the move!

LongIslandZagFan
02-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Based on half the posts lately you'd think 70% of the posters on this board would wash the plane and help Mark move to Eugene.

ZaggyZaggerson
02-15-2009, 10:17 PM
Few's not going anywhere ....

sharpzag
02-16-2009, 07:15 AM
A deep run this year and rejecting BOTH the AZ and OR jobs this offseason would look pretty good to west coast recruits.

TexasZagFan
02-16-2009, 09:09 AM
Y'all got it wrong. Wealthy boosters from a Texas school (not UT or A&M) are going to fly him down during the week break between the WCC tournament and the NCAA.

They'll take him on a whirlwind tour of all the lakes in Texas that participate in the lunker program. When he gets ahold of a couple of 10+ lb big mouth bass, those Snake River trout won't be able to keep him in Spokane.

:jk:

Personally, I'd much rather live in Spokane than Eugene.

75Zag
02-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Living in casual elegance on the Spokane River is way better than living in Eugene - unless you prefer getting high with hot hipster girls rather than fly fishing, in which case I strongly recommend Eugene.

Having said that, I have a bad feeling in my gut about the possibility of Few moving to Eugene. Unless Phil Knight is totally nuts (a possibility), he has to have his "people" fire Ernie Kent between now and April. And once Ernie is gone, the Nike checkbook is going to be open to Mark Few. It is easy to say that Mark should choose GU loyalty and comfortable Spokane flyfishing over 3 million bucks a year with a guaranteed five year contract, but when the rubber hits the road, I would take the money and run. I think a lot of other folks would too. Maybe Mark Few has superhuman - Jesuit - karma whatever and won't take the money. But the chance to guaranty your kids (and perhaps grandkids) financial security in this environment would be a tough thing to pass up.

But hey, they don't have Pete's Pizza calzone in Eugene.

Go Bulldogs, and Mark Few stay in Spokane!!

HillBillyZag
02-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Why do you guys get so uptight everytime there is an item about Mark Few leaving the GU program? To begin with, I rather doubt he would except for an out of sight offer. If he did leave, Coach Rice, Ray G., & Coach Lloyd are all supremely qualified to take over and never miss a beat. Lighten up.

Shanachie
02-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Based on half the posts lately you'd think 70% of the posters on this board would wash the plane and help Mark move to Eugene.

I'm not sure if you're referring to me, but I hope I didn't give that impression.

I think that what Mark Few has done at GU is phenomenal, and I hope he stays for his entire career. And I think he probably will stay, based on his past decisions and the few snippets I've seen from people who really do know him.

I'm just trying to counter the notion that a person in Few's position would never leave to take a job somewhere else.

dim4sum
02-16-2009, 10:16 AM
MF would not be a happy camper in Eugene. It's a town populated with old hippies in beads and bangles and gray pony tails and infused with the ### culture. Is this what MF wants his kids growing up with? Of course not.